A Local Find

by Meghann on July 27, 2009

Today is a happy day. 🙂

At least if I keep repeating that to myself it will be!

My breakfast kept me pretty full today. I debated whether to dig into my snack today at 11:00 when I started feeling hungry. I decided I would rather have my snack then, then racing to lunch at 11:30. 🙂

This morning I finally got around to opening a box of True Delight Bars that Quaker were kind enough to send me ages ago.

DSCN3140

I originally reviewed the True Delight Bars here and the Dark Chocolate Raspberry Almond flavor here.

This particular box of bars was sent to me when someone over at Quaker saw how much I raved about their products. I <3 their Quaker Oatmeal Squares!

It’s funny because the first time I reviewed the bar I thought it was a bit too fruity tasting, but this time I didn’t think so at all. It’s odd how your opinion can change each time you try something or maybe this particular bar just had a higher chocolate/ raspberry ratio?

Either way the snack did its job and I didn’t end up going home for lunch until 1:00, which is late for me!

I pulled out my wonderful Saturday night left overs for lunch.

DSCN3141

I know one reader was worried about my food’s safety while at the Rascal Flatts concert and I want to assure her that I had placed the left overs in Jenna’s fridge before the concert, so that they could stay fresh and I ate them again there would be no ‘risk’ involved. 😉

Lunch felt a tad light so I took the opportunity to try a new cookie I had picked up from the Health Store yesterday.

DSCN3147

Packaging look familiar? I was so fascinated by this brand that I bought both the granola and the cookies. I just could not decide!

I had one of the wheat-free, 9 ingredients cookies after I finished my salad.

DSCN3149

Yum!! This cookie was very dense and very filling! It is basically just a cookie form of their fabulous granola. I am so happy with my impulse buy. 🙂

You can check out the stats on the cookies here. After doing a little research online I discovered the Good Run Go Nuts company is based in largo FL and only retails in small health stores around the state of Florida.

I love discovering and promoting small Mom & Pop businesses. 🙂

—————————————–

I had a few commentors quizzing me on my move to Orlando. I thought I would offer up a little Graduate Meghann history.

I grew up about 30 minutes outside of Orlando in the small town of Titusville. Ever heard of it? It’s actually where my parents still live today.

When I went up to Tallahassee for school, I loved it and continued to live and work there after I graduated. Only no one warns you that a college town just isn’t the same unless you’re in college. I was honestly miserable in the city and made the decision once my lease was up to move closer to my family. We all know how much I <3 my family!

The ex and I didn’t see eye to eye with that which was ultimately our demise. Well that and his non-support for my new healthy habits.

I loved Orlando because it was within a reasonable driving distance of my family and a lot of friends I grew up with still lived in the area. I got VERY lucky and had two job offers within two weeks of living with my parents and was able to move into my own place on September 1st. Shortly after I met Caitlin and started this blog.

The rest I guess you can say is history. 🙂

Caitlin has a Golden Ticket….

If you are still hunting for a ticket to the Healthy Living Summit Caitlin is auctioning one off today for her Team in Training efforts. All proceeds benefit the Leukemia and Lymphona society!

Also, if you’re in the Boston are and weren’t lucky enough to get a ticket check out our summit agenda on the Healthy Living Summit website now. We made sure to incorporate events that were open for all to participate in with or without a ticket. 🙂

1 Deva July 27, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I love how fresh the mozzarella is in your salad – it looks so good, I can picture and taste the different flavors all coming together 🙂

2 Dani July 27, 2009 at 2:30 pm

My family and I make the drive to Titusville every time we are in Flordia for vacation. We go there just to eat at Dixie Crossings!

3 Amelia July 27, 2009 at 2:33 pm

I can definitely see a college town being hard to live in once you’re out of college. I live about 15 minutes away from where I went to college and I still think it’s weird to be in that neighborhood. It’s like college and adult life colliding!

4 Megan July 27, 2009 at 2:39 pm

“no one warns you that a college town just isn’t the same unless you’re in college”

I couldn’t agree more! I went to college in Boston and loved it, but the one year I lived there after graduating was pure TORTURE. I was completely miserable there and couldn’t wait to leave. I left and came back closer to home (NJ) and haven’t looked back since. The two worlds are truly night and day!

Glad to hear that you made such great choices and everything worked out for the best!

5 Whit July 27, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Glad your salad stayed safe! 😀

6 fitforfree July 27, 2009 at 2:57 pm

It’s nice to hear about your move from Talahassee (sp?!) to Orlando! Glad it worked out 🙂

In what ways did your ex not support your new habits? Just curious, because there are so many different ways that friends/family/loved ones can react to lifestyle changes . . .

7 Anne P July 27, 2009 at 2:58 pm

mmm i might have to go buy some of those cookies…

8 Kiki July 27, 2009 at 3:03 pm

hey hope I dont sound like a complete stalker but I love when you give a bit of background information on your posts. It makes them a bit more personal and special! x

9 Chloe July 27, 2009 at 3:03 pm

That’s great that everything worked out for you, how fun that you made a bold move and now look where you are!

Those Quaker bars look yummy – I might have to try them to satisfy my never ending sweet tooth.

10 HelpMeghanRun July 27, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Man that cookie looks great! And you are the perfect example of how risks (usually) pay off in the end.

11 runnerskitchen July 27, 2009 at 3:09 pm

deciding where to live and what to do after college can be so nerve-wracking! i moved to DC the summer after graduation (June 2007), but wasn’t happy. at the end of July, I decided to move to NYC to be closer to my family, college roomies, and my current boyfriend. i miraculously found a job and apartment in about 2 weeks time. one of the best decisions i’ve ever made 🙂
p.s. I love Quaker Oatmeal Squares too!

12 Taylor Leigh July 27, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Hey Meghann! I have been following your blog and love reading it! Thos cookies look amazing 🙂 I have heard of Titusville b/c I live and grew up in Gainesville! My little cousin goes to UCF in Orlando.

13 Kathy (Moving Beyond Perfection) July 27, 2009 at 3:14 pm

That’s so amazing of you to just pick up and leave. You have come such a long way.. be proud of yourself! 🙂

14 roseyrebecca July 27, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Those cookies look amazing!! I had a leftover lunch too!!

15 AshleyP July 27, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I am currently hating living in Tally, the economy seriously needs to pick up! Today is a great day though indeed, I am very grateful to be employed at all 🙂

16 Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 27, 2009 at 4:47 pm

that cookie looks awesome! love the round shape, too!

17 JB July 27, 2009 at 5:00 pm

the 9 ingredient cookie is so cute! too bad it isn’t vegan. 🙁

18 Matt July 27, 2009 at 5:56 pm

That cookie looks good! Hopefully I can find that brand around here!

19 Susan July 27, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Ha, I just graduated university and am now working full-time in my college town. I think like one-third of its population is students during the school year. Now that it’s summer, and I’m not in school, it’s pretty damn dull!

20 Caroline July 27, 2009 at 6:46 pm

I love those kind of products too–I like the little guys! One of my favorite things about farmers’ markets is that you often encounter “mom and pop” businesses that believe in the quality of their product and just want to share it with everyone else:)

21 Julia July 27, 2009 at 7:28 pm

I love finding local businesses also. It makes me feel good to know I am supporting honest hardworking people!

22 Christina July 27, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Those cookies look so healthy but delicious. I love buying from small businesses too!

23 She-Fit July 27, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Oh, I need to get me one of those cookies!!!!!!!!!! They look so Yummy!

24 Leianna July 27, 2009 at 9:33 pm

That pear looks really good and juicy! YUM
I make pizzas like that for my husband and I b/c it’s the only way I can get him to eat vegetables!

25 amani July 28, 2009 at 12:11 am

LOL..it’s funny, I just blogged about the Coconut, Banana, Macadamia flavor of the quaker true delights. It was so yummy.

26 catruns July 28, 2009 at 8:31 am

I totally know what you mean about college towns. I graduated 2 years ago and soon moved out to Athens, home to UGA. My husband is in school here but the atmosphere makes me feel old! I’m only 24!

27 Marie July 29, 2009 at 11:01 am

I went to FSU also and did the same thing. Thought I would stick around after I graduated because I loved it so much. WRONG. I felt ancient compared to all the kids still in school!

28 Allison K July 30, 2009 at 6:22 pm

ok, so I am pretty sure my neighbor is from Titusville! She and her husband live in Idaho now….her name is Melissa….but I don’t know her maiden name!