Fun Lunch Date

by Meghann on July 26, 2009

Before I left Tampa today I had a lunch date with a special blogger.

DSCN3099.JPG

Anne had e-mailed me last week stating I might not know who she was, but if I wanted to get together for lunch. I responded immediately that of course I knew her and yes lunch sounded great.

Anne comments as Anne P. in the blog world and though she has not updated it since she has to the U.S., Anne wrote an incredible blog about her experience teaching English in Prague. If you have a moment head over to Czech Anne Out. You’ll die over all the beautiful pictures of all her travels over there!

Anne suggested we have lunch at a local health store.

DSCN3098.JPG

The salad bar was calling my name!

DSCN3090.JPG

As always I piled it on, but I tried really hard to go minimal on the heavier items as they tend to drive the price up. I love how they had really good choices, but that it wasn’t too overwelming. I was able to have just a taste of everything with some Raspberry Vinaigarette on the side.

DSCN3093.JPG

The health store also had a fantastic Deli Case full of wonderful offerings. Anne snagged a plate full of new things to try.

DSCN3091.JPG

While purchasing my lunch I noticed a display of Sweet Potato Cookies.

DSCN3094.JPG

Intriguing, No?

DSCN3095.JPG

Anne and I split one for dessert.

DSCN3096.JPG

It was definitely different, almost like a muffin texture. It was full of nuts and raisins and wasn’t overly sweet. All in all I liked it. I almost bought one to take home with me, but them remembered the zillions of desserts I already have at my apartment. πŸ™‚

It was great talking to Anne. Meeting a fellow blogger/ reader is like meeting an old friend. After lunch we spent a good amount of time shopping the store. This store had some great finds that I have never seen before. I left with a bag full of fun goodies, but sadly also a lighter wallet.

The drive home was rain, rain, rain. Ughh…. I guess that’s what I get for begging for sunny skies yesterday.

When I got home I was feeling snacky and wanted to sample a new granola I purchased today.

DSCN3103.JPG

The granola looked so fresh and it’s made in Largo, FL! I had a heaping spoonful before putting it away.

DSCN3104.JPG

Yum! I like!

I also had a few Cherries.

DSCN3100.JPG

Tonight I have fun plans for a blogger potluck. I have volunteered to bring Yucca Fries that are currently baking in the oven. They smell great! I can’t wait to see what everyone else brings. πŸ™‚

What’s your go to potluck dish? I always have the hardest time deciding what to bring to these shin digs.

1 Matt July 26, 2009 at 6:05 pm

I like bringing something I like! Usually dessert!

2 VeggieGirl July 26, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Fun outing!!

My go-to potluck dish = a pan of blondies πŸ˜€

3 biz319 July 26, 2009 at 6:20 pm

When I was a young single parent, I would buy a 5 pound bag of Idaho potatoes – my store usually sold them for $1.00 a bag. I’d scrub them, let them completely dry, then rub olive oil all over and sprinkle with coarse salt and cracked pepper.

Baked for one hour at 400 degrees. I would then individually wrap each potato, put them all in a basket with a container of sour cream and bacon bits – I could usually get away with spending under $5 for 15 to 20 baked potatoes! πŸ˜€

4 Emily July 26, 2009 at 6:22 pm

First, I’m glad you guys had a fun time at the concert, both you and Jenna had fun posts πŸ™‚

Two, my go to dishes – fruit salad with sesame seeds and maple syrup; butternut squash baked mac and cheese; a watermelon + screwdriver + bottle of vodka (you do the math!)

5 Nicole July 26, 2009 at 6:44 pm

I usually bring cupcakes to potlucks! Everyone I know kind of expects them now, they’re my favorite to bake.

6 Jen July 26, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I lovvvvve casseroles to take to potlucks, especially because they’re easy to transport. I have, however, been making an easy curried cranberry couscous salad as of late. It can be served at room temperature, so no need to worry about heating or chilling at the party’s location.

Have fun!

7 inmytummy July 26, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Lately my go-to potluck dish is a greek salad.

8 Ada July 26, 2009 at 7:05 pm

That looks like a fun blogger meet-up! My go-to potluck dish is Miniature Samasoas which are sweet potato, onion, cumin, and curry powder stuffed dumplings.

9 Hangry Pants July 26, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Oh Anne P. How fun! I really love her comments.

10 Anne P July 26, 2009 at 9:53 pm

haha Hangry guess what? my Sigg water bottle is still spotless. but… okay fine, only because it’s in storage in DC and didn’t come to Europe with me. I can’t wait to have it back soon πŸ˜‰

11 Deva July 26, 2009 at 7:18 pm

My go to dish tends to be chocolate chip cookies or curried couscous salad, which I make by eyeballing all of the ingredients, lol.

12 Allie July 26, 2009 at 7:53 pm

that sweetpotato cookie looks really interesting, thanks for trying it because i have it on a list to try to recreate now! i have never baked with sweetpotatoes though so this may take some trial and error!

13 Mandy A July 26, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Awesome lunch! And a sweet potato cookie??? YUM!!

I usually snag up bringing dessert… that way I can bring something healthier and they never know πŸ˜‰ Love it when they gobble up the “good for ya stuff”! If I tell them before hand, they won’t eat it!

14 Leah July 26, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I have that same problem with potluck dishes! I always try and make something super healthy because there seems to always be a lack of healthy options at potlucks. I usually do a salad of some sort I suppose? Broccoli salad, pasta salad, tomato and feta salad, roasted veggie salad, etc. They usually taste better the second day anyway so it’s easy to just make the night before and throw in a tupperware!

15 honeynutlo July 26, 2009 at 8:22 pm

yum granola! and sweet potatoes are my fav veggie ever bc not only can u make fries with them but also pancakes and COOKIES apparently! sweet πŸ™‚ glad ur weekend was so fun! now time for the work week πŸ™ ugh….

xoxo
lo

16 Katrina (gluten free gidget) July 26, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I missed your trip to Tampa again! One day we will plan ahead… πŸ˜‰

17 tlconrad July 26, 2009 at 9:15 pm

today i started the 30 day shred and it kicked my ass… i am just waiting to see how hard level 3 is… i am in awe of you doing it so religiously!

tlc

18 Anne P July 26, 2009 at 9:21 pm

yay fun lunch date! it was lovely meeting and hanging out with you this weekend πŸ™‚ if only i could have come to rascal flats!!

can’t wait to see you again in a few weeks to buy out the entire store when it’s 20% off πŸ˜‰ oh, and i totally want another of those sweet potato cookies now! so good! mmmm

19 Anne P July 26, 2009 at 9:23 pm

and thank you for the sweet comments about my blog πŸ™‚ makes me miss blogging! perhaps i’ll start another one up someday…

20 MarathonVal July 26, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I’m so intrigued by the idea of sweet potato cookies and now I’m thinking about making a recipe for one! I love sweet potatoes in anything and everything.

21 roseyrebecca July 26, 2009 at 9:56 pm

My go-to potluck dish is definitely some type of baked good!! I’m better with brownies and muffins. I love health food stores. I spend hours in them! And Whole Foods, forget about it, you won’t see me for a couple days!