more ยป" />

Good Food, Bad Service

by Meghann on July 24, 2009

Just as I predicted traffic was once again awful heading to Tampa. Not my idea of a good time, but atleast I got to see this smiling face when I arrived. ๐Ÿ™‚

DSCN2750.JPG

And Abbie sure does enjoy her car rides!

DSCN2982.JPG

Before I left for Tampa I nibbled on a homemade trail mix at my office.

DSCN2979.JPG

I feel like I eat these every day, but it truly is my favorite snack of the moment. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Cinnamon Puffins
  • Dark Chocolate Covered Edamame
  • Pumpkin Seeds
  • Peanuts
  • Almonds
  • Craisins

On the drive I drove by a Starbucks sign and had to stop and pick up a Passion Fruit Tea. This is my third one this week. I think I’m obsessed!

DSCN2986.JPG

The grande seems to never be enough so I tried a Venti size today. It was quite a difference, but I managed to drink it all.

I knew dinner was going to be on the later side, so when my stomach started growling during the drive I pulled out a mini bar.

DSCN2987.JPG

This was a sample I received at the San Diego Race Expo. It tasted yummy, but left a funny after taste in my mouth.

I told Derek to pick the place for dinner tonight and he chose a trendy Mexican restaurant called Lime in Hyde Park.

DSCN2989.JPG

I had researched the menu online at work earlier today and was very excited by all the unique dishes this place had to offer. There was an emphasis on traditional Mexican options, but with a trendy, high class flair to them.

DSCN2991.JPG

Sadly, as great of a restaurant may appear from the outside, there’s always a possibility that the good viles will not translate to a good experience inside. Derek and I had a very long wait for our table, which seemed especially odd as we were the only ones waiting. Then once seated the server was missing in action for the first 15 minutes and after we ordered we never saw her again until after we were finished with our meals.

I was starving when we were seated and was very sad that no one ever brought us the colorful chips I saw every other table in the restaurant enjoying. I really wanted some chips. ๐Ÿ™

When the food did finally arrive I was very happy with selection and did find it quite tasty.

DSCN3002.JPG

I ordered the Cuban Pulled Pork Tortilla Sandwich (slow simmered pulled pork, black beans, shredded lettuce and sweet plantains) which was served with Guacamole and Yucca Fries.I don’t order it very often, but pulled pork is a favorite of mine. The addition of the sweet plantains to the sandwich added a great sweet touch.

Though I did enjoy my meal, I don’t see myself returning to this establishment any time soon.

We had to run a few errands after dinner and my sweet tooth started to kick in. I am almost embarrassed to admit this, but as I was staring at the frozen desserts in Target this one oddly caught my eye.

DSCN3005.JPG

I know, I know! I promise I have NEVER had a Smart Ones dessert before, but for some reason this one was just calling my name.

DSCN3008.JPG

I had one when we got back to the apartment and have to admit it wasn’t half bad. Not as creamy or rich as regular ice cream, but it was a nice treat sundae. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m still a little P.Oed from my dinner experience so I am going to just chill out in front of the T.V.

I hope everyone else has a great night!

1 roseyrebecca July 24, 2009 at 11:33 pm

I’m sorry you had bad service at the restaurant but your dinner looks fabulous!! I’ve been obsessed with Starbucks Black Iced Tea for a while! The passion fruit looks yummy too!! I always wondered about those smart ones desserts. Maybe I’ll try one!!

Rebecca

2 Courtney July 24, 2009 at 11:34 pm

dude, that sucks! there is never excuse for bad service! I hope you didn’t leave a tip!

3 Kathy July 24, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Ugh, bad service is a pet peeve of mine! Even if the food is GREAT, I refuse to go if the service sucks. It just irritates me! Sorry you had to deal with that!

4 amani July 25, 2009 at 12:15 am

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your bad experience at the restaurant, but at least the food tasted good. I have never tried smartones ice cream before, either. I do happen to love SkinnyCow, though. Light ice cream may not be the most natural products in the freezer section, but all things in moderation, right?

5 amani July 25, 2009 at 12:16 am

by the way, nice blog

6 Julia July 25, 2009 at 12:43 am

What a terrible service experience. I hope the tip fit the level of satisfaction, because I’m almost fuming for you!
At least you have the boy to calm you down!
Hope your Saturday’s better!

7 Nicole July 25, 2009 at 12:53 am

Boooo! it’s too bad the restaurant experience wasn’t too great. It looks like a nice place. Maybe your server was having an off night!

8 stephanie p July 25, 2009 at 1:01 am

the smart ones cookie dough dessert is AMAZING

9 Stacey July 25, 2009 at 6:50 am

Ugh. Don’t you hate that?! I just can’t stand being let down by a cool-looking restaurant! Sorry you had a crummy time there! Hope you were able to unwind and vent a little in front of the telly ๐Ÿ™‚

10 Jen July 25, 2009 at 7:06 am

Im sorry the restaurant wasnt great! thats something I hate- going to a NICE place only to have the food not be as nice…!

11 Susan July 25, 2009 at 7:10 am

Those first two pics are too cute!!! That sucks about the bad service, especially when it ruins what should have been a great meal ๐Ÿ™ I had to laugh at the Smart Ones pic. I get random urges to buy things like that sometimes too. Whatevs! Chalk it up as a “food experience” ๐Ÿ˜›

12 Andee (Runtolive) July 25, 2009 at 7:38 am

Yum! I love pulled pork dishes at good Mexican restaurants, sorry about the bad service though! I’ve always been intrigued to try a Smart One

13 Mica July 25, 2009 at 7:52 am

Abbie is so cute in the car!

14 Niki July 25, 2009 at 7:53 am

I hate terrible restaurant experiences like that! At least your food was good though!

15 Ada July 25, 2009 at 8:32 am

Bad service truly stinks, you’d think the restaurant would want to leave a good impression!

16 Mara @ What's For Dinner? July 25, 2009 at 10:04 am

I love those darn Smart Ones desserts… the cookie dough one is downright amazing!

17 healthy ashley July 25, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I love The Lime! That’s one thing I miss about living in Tampa.. my house was 1/2 mile down the street from it! Next time you have to try the chips and the trio of dips (queso, salsa, guac). Amazing!

That’s my favorite photo of Abbie. I hope she’ll be joining us Sunday!

18 Tammy Eros July 25, 2009 at 1:16 pm

That dinner looks absolutely scrumptious! I love yucca fries! Where did you find the chocolate covered edemame??!!!

19 papayafish July 25, 2009 at 1:48 pm

I know what you mean about those smart ones looking good, no matter how much crap they have in them. (that ingredient list is l-o-n-g). I live with my parents and they LOVE smart ones icecream, so we always always have it in the house. When I’m dying for a sweet treat and I’ve got nothing else around, they’ve been known to call my name.

And once in a very infrequent blue moon, I’ve been known to answer…

so you’re not the only one!!

20 Kim July 25, 2009 at 3:33 pm

This is why restaurants need to make sure they’re on top of customer service 24-7 — they never know when they’re going to disappoint a blogger who can publicize her experience far and wide! ๐Ÿ˜‰

21 inmytummy July 25, 2009 at 4:02 pm

I am also quite the fan of a chemical-laden low fat dessert. I just can’t help it; they taste good!!

22 Danielle C. July 25, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Bummer on the restaurant, we have a place like that but we keep going back because we like the food and they have a great happy hour. Unfortunately we usually get stuck with the same crappy waitress. ๐Ÿ™

23 thedallasceliac July 26, 2009 at 11:47 am

I don’t think there is anything wrong with eating one of those sundaes every once in a while. Glad you had a good end to a disappointing experience.

24 jocelyneatsfresh July 26, 2009 at 10:18 pm

why is it embarrasing to eat a smartones dessert?