Full of Energy

by Meghann on July 24, 2009

The other day I had someone comment on how I am able to stay so energized through out the day while waking up so early to exercise and not drink any coffee. Well honestly with great runs in the morning, I swear you don’t need any coffee! Plus, I bet it doesn’t hurt going to be at 9:30 the night before.

I know, I’m old before my time!

But seriously I have felt so fresh and energized all day! It’s just unfortunate I have had to waste all this energy at my desk. Oh well. The weekend is almost here!

Running in the morning does build an appetite though. I broke into my midmorning snack of a Raspberry Chocolate Kashi Bar a tad early this morning.

DSCN2969

I actually took an inventory of my bar stash this morning and separated all my ‘running fuel’ bars, goos and shot bloks from all my ‘snack’ bars. It’s amazing how much better the box looks now. I still have plenty to sort through, but it felt great to have a little organization.

Sadly, the bar only did minimal taming for my hunger and I practically dashed into my kitchen when I made it home for lunch.

DSCN2976

I hastily put together a lovely salad of chopped cold veggies.

DSCN2972

The leftover grilled balsamic veggies were great cold with tomato, avocado and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

I also heated up a left over Organic Sundried Tomato Chicken Sausage that I enjoyed atop a piece of Publix Bakery Multi Grain Bread & Spinach with some Jalapenos, Ketchup and Mustard on top.

DSCN2975

This meal was great and filled me right back up.

Now I am just ready for the clock to speed on up so I can sit in some lovely traffic on my way to Tampa. 🙂

1 Christina July 24, 2009 at 1:26 pm

I’m the same way. I’d much rather go to bed early and wake up early. So much more is accomplished that way!

2 Bec July 24, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I agree you have so much energy when you get up and go in the morning!

3 Danielle C. July 24, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I’m the same way, I’d much rather go to bed early and wake up early. If I sleep past 7:30 or 8 on the weekends I feel like I am wasting my day.

It’s hard for me to get up earlier than 6:30 most mornings, since the hubs works two jobs right now a lot of nights I have to stay up until 10:30-11 to get to spend any amount of time with him. To get a workout in before work I have to get up no later than 5:30, I need at least 7 hours of sleep so I don’t get to workout every morning. 🙁

4 Mariel July 24, 2009 at 1:38 pm

I’m the same way. I like going to bed early and waking up early. I feel like you can get so much more accomplished if you get up early! I hear ya with the sitting in traffic. I have a nice 4 hour drive ahead of me after work!

5 rediscoveringlauren July 24, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Im the exact same…i perfer getting up earlier and going to bed earlier…and im 18! thats unheard of for most people my age, most of whom stay out till the early hours of the morning drinking and partying…i guess im an oldie at heart 🙂
lunch looks delicious!
enjoy the rest of your friday 🙂

6 Whit July 24, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I’d rather go to bed and wake up early too, but I always end up going to bed late and waking up early. UGH! Have fun in Tampa!

7 Ada July 24, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I am the same way, I go to bed early and wake up early. My friends usually think I’m weird, but honestly I’d rather be “weird” than overtired! You know what they say, “the early bird catches the worm!” Have a great time in Tampa:)

8 Courtney July 24, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Your lunches always look so tasty!

9 Therese July 24, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I’ve just started attempting to work out in the mornings, and both days my appetite has been so crazy!! I guess maybe you get used to it? But I have already eaten all the snacks I brought with me to work today!

I need a “bar drawer” like yours here…

10 roseyrebecca July 24, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I used to love sleeping in but now I hate it!! I feel like I can get so much more accomplished in the mornings and have the rest of my day free if I get up early. Lately, my body has naturally been waking up at around 8:00! Tomorrow I’m getting up super early to go to the farmers’ market!! YAY

Rebecca

11 Amanda July 24, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I’m 100% with you – early to bed and early to rise! I love my pre-work exercise. No matter what happens during the day, I already know I’m feeling great for doing something for myself. I’m also with you on having energy to go-go-go yet being stuck at work. TGIF. 🙂
p.s. treats en route…mon/tues delivery

12 VeggieGirl July 24, 2009 at 2:55 pm

“Would you consider me a weirdo if I said I prefer to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier rather then go to bed later and wake up later?”

That’s how I am too, haha 😀

13 tami July 24, 2009 at 3:01 pm

i am normally asleep by 830pm and up at 430am, i can’t imagine staying up to watch late night tv

14 ksgoodeats July 24, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I’m a go to bed early kind of girl as well. Unfortunately all of my friends aren’t so going out is torture sometimes 😉

15 Tammy Eros July 24, 2009 at 3:09 pm

I guess it sounds redundant to say that I, too, go to bed fairly early to get up earlier. Many times I have to, to get a run in or go to work. But, in general, I like this routine anyway. I am much more of a morning person, and I have much more energy to get through the day. I do, however, still take my coffee every morning like clockwork!

16 Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 24, 2009 at 3:19 pm

if you are a weirdo, I’m a weirdo!

17 Laura July 24, 2009 at 3:20 pm

im exactly the same way! i’m only 21, and i’d rather get to bed early, and get up early so i have the day to be productive! i feel so lazy when i wake up later (even around 10) because i feel like i’ve wasted the day already!

can we see what your organized bar stash looks like? 🙂

18 Erin July 24, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Woo hoo! That was my comment/question!! I’m so excited you answered it – thanks Meghann!!

I’ve started to get in that routine too of going to bed earlier/getting up earlier and I think I just need to stick with it. The tiredness will eventually wear off if it’s a routine. I think making sure that I’m hydrated enough helps a lot too, I can feel my body get more sluggish in the afternoon than the morning when I tend to drink a lot more water.

Have a great weekend!

19 Kristilyn July 24, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Don’t worry, I love getting to bed by 9:00 or 9:30 and getting up early … I feel like the day is wasting away! And no napping, either. I just never got into that.

I’m not a coffee drinker in the morning and I find that exercise or even a green monster helps with my energy! With my previous diet, I would start lagging mid-morning and now I’m alert all day – it’s great!

K

20 RunToFinish July 24, 2009 at 3:59 pm

i agree a morning run is the best coffee!

21 Sarah July 24, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I’ve never seen a Kashi bar like that before.

I, alas, am definitely the late to bed, late to rise type.
Have a happy weekend!

22 Emily July 24, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I wish I wanted to go to bed early, I know how good it is for you but I am just such a night owl!

23 caitlin July 24, 2009 at 5:49 pm

i also do not know how you have so much energy. running exhausts me…. i could never do 8 miles before work!

24 Anna July 24, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Your lunches always look so colorful and fresh 🙂 I’m jealous!! I wish I could go home everyday to make lunch!
I think going to bed early is the secret to having more energy! When I stay up late I feel like I am dragging by 3pm!

25 Kerry July 24, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Reading all those who go to bed early and wake up early reassures me! Fabulous.

26 Matt July 24, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Lol I usually pass out around 9:30 during the week as well. I find that I need a lot of sleep while training and the 5 o’clock wake up doesn’t help. My friends call me granny! If only they understood…

27 Courtney July 24, 2009 at 10:37 pm

YAY I’m not the ONLY one who likes to go to bed early and wake up early! I think it’s the running- nothing starts the day better than a nice, long run. That chocolate raspberry kashi bar of yours looked gooooooood- it looks like there’s a layer of ganache on top! gotta get me some of those… =D

28 CalliNae July 25, 2009 at 4:29 am

Oh my gosh. I’m definitely an early morning/early to bed kind of girl… which is SO frustrating when no one else is!!! I’m glad you understand 🙂 and agree!!! I love waking up early and running. It’s so fantastic.