No Running Today

by Meghann on July 23, 2009

I did have plans this morning to knock out an early 6 mile run with my pal Caitlin, but at the last minute she bailed! Some friend she is! Just Kidding!!

Caitlin has been working her tail off and desperately needed any extra sleep she could muster. I gave her my blessing and told her to sleep in. πŸ™‚

With no one to push me to run this morning, I decided to save my longer week day run for tomorrow and instead took it easy with some strength training.

First I did the 30 Day Shred and then I uncovered an old ab routine I put together back in the day. I finished my session with random strength moves that came to my head, but now I can not remember the names of them. It ended up being a great 60 minute work out in my living room.

I was happy to have remembered to pop a Breakfast Cookie in the refrigerator last night so I could enjoy it this morning.

DSCN2933

My cookie contained:

• 1/2 cup Oats
  • 2 spoonfuls Unsweetened Apple Sauce
  • 1 spoonful Naturally Nutter Vanilla Almond Butter
  • Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
  • 1 tablespoon mini Chocolate Chips
  • Dried Goji Berries
  • Cinnamon

After letting it set in the fridge over night I covered it this morning with Oikos Plain Yogurt and a combination of Peach & Blueberries that I had warmed up in the microwave.

DSCN2931

Yum! Yum! I love these things! And the warm fruit on top really gave it a nice touch.

How far would you go to save your pet?

Did you hear about the man in West Palm Beach who pried his beloved 7 year old dog, Mandy, form a hungry alligator? In the process he lost the tops to two of his fingers, but he would not go back and change a thing. He stated the dog was like a daughter to him and he did not even think twice about saving her from becoming gator bait.

I found the story very touching and moving. I know I would probably have attempted the same thing to save Abbie. Just the thought of anything bad happening to her makes me want to cry.

In fact when I first moved to Orlando almost  a year ago Abbie took off during rush hour across 8 lanes of traffic and I ran my crazy butt after her. I did not care about the cars rushing at me, all I could think about Abbie not getting hit. Luckily we both made it to the other side safely.

So the question is for those of you who have pets, how much are you willing to risk of your own lives to save theirs? Would you pry open an angry alligator’s mouth to set them free?

1 jentrinque July 23, 2009 at 8:42 am

I just saw that story on the Today show! I would do anything to save my pets, two kitties. In fact, sometimes I wish I had dogs because I could just leave them in except when they were on leashes, and my cats go out and explore all the time, so I worry about them alot!

2 Whit July 23, 2009 at 8:45 am

Oh gosh, that story made me want to cry! I think I would do something like that for my pet as well though. No way could I sit there and watch an alligator get my baby!

3 Mica July 23, 2009 at 8:46 am

Okay, Florida is officially the scariest place on earth.I don’t have any pets, but I imagine that I would go to great lengths for their safety. (That said, I am quite relieved that there are no frightening wild animals in central IL…except coyotes.) Keep little Abbie safe from any ‘gators!

4 Run Niki Run July 23, 2009 at 8:49 am

Yikes! How scary!! I’m pretty sure I could never just walk away and leave one of my kitties to be alligator food. I’m sure the adrenaline kicks in. Pets can be like children!

5 Janie July 23, 2009 at 8:51 am

Oh my gosh! This is the first I’ve heard of this story. I would do anything to save my dog from harm, even if it meant losing some fingers. He is like my son!!!

6 Leianna July 23, 2009 at 8:59 am

Just saw that puppy saving story in the Today show. Great guy just saving his beloved pet!
I’ve seen this breakfast cookie on a lot of blogs, but I still don’t understand how they are put together, baked or not?

7 Gwen July 23, 2009 at 9:03 am

I have two dogs, they are like my children. I would do anything to make sure they were safe. An alligator would be no match for me !!!!!

8 Elisabeth July 23, 2009 at 9:11 am

I am so sure that in the heat of the moment, I would do anything I could to help my dogs. The thought of anything like that happening to them just breaks my heart. Dogs do become like your kids, especially when you don’t have any actual kids of your own!

9 prinny July 23, 2009 at 9:12 am

Yikes, how scary is that!
I would totally put my life in danger to safe my dog or kitties. I agree with Niki, I’m sure the adrenaline kicks in and you don’t even think about it anymore.

10 Rebecca July 23, 2009 at 9:18 am

oh my gosh… i cant imagine…ALLIGATORS IN MY BACKYARD!!!

11 runeatrepeat July 23, 2009 at 9:19 am

I think my first reaction would be to do anything to save my dogs!!! I love them.

12 MarathonVal July 23, 2009 at 9:43 am

I just saw that story on the Today show too – I would like to think that most pet owners would do the same for their pets. I havent had a pet of my “own” since moving out of the parent’s house years ago but just thinking about THEIR animals getting hurt makes me sad!

13 VeggieGirl July 23, 2009 at 9:45 am

I’d do anything for my pet!

14 Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 23, 2009 at 9:48 am

I cannot believe that…how amazing! I would definitely do the same thing for my pet!

15 caitlin July 23, 2009 at 9:48 am

hahah way to lay on the guilt trip!!!

16 Rose July 23, 2009 at 9:57 am

In the heat of the moment, I think I would do just about anything to save Scone. But thinking about the alligator now, I’m scared πŸ™‚

17 nutritionbyeve July 23, 2009 at 10:08 am

I don’t have any pets so it’s hard to say. That seems a bit extreme since he could have died! But you never know until you’re the one in the situation.

18 Danielle C. July 23, 2009 at 10:11 am

I know I would go to great lengths to save my cats, I get teary eyed just thinking about something bad happening to them.

19 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) July 23, 2009 at 10:34 am

I would kick some serious alligator ass if it tried to harm my beagle.

20 Sara July 23, 2009 at 10:39 am

Mmm, breakfast cookie!

I would totally risk my life to save my dog! We’ve had reports of a bobcat and a mountain lion in the neighborhood that we live in (not close to our house, but still) and I always tell my husband that if one tried to come near our puppy, I’d kick the crap out of it! πŸ™‚

21 Mandy A July 23, 2009 at 10:44 am

I lived in Orlando until I moved to Nashville about ten years ago… and do you know I’m STILL terrified to swim in lakes just in case there are alligators somewhere??? A fear that will never leave, I’m afraid!

22 Morgan July 23, 2009 at 10:47 am

I have 10 fingers, and only 1 dog right now. My little Rufio is way too important to let anything happen to him, even if it means losing an appendage. This made me want to cry! There are supposedly coyotes and fox near us, and I am ready to hurt anything that gets near my puppy!

23 RunToFinish July 23, 2009 at 10:49 am

wow.. that’s tough..honestly I think if my beloved Frisco had been in an alligators mouth I would have gladly ripped it open, rather than the decision we had to make because he was sick

24 JohannaB July 23, 2009 at 10:59 am

I don’t think one realizes what one could do when the adrenaline is rushing and someone you love is in danger. I like to think I’d do whatever it would take to save my Smokey Joe (cat).

25 roseyrebecca July 23, 2009 at 11:03 am

My dog actually died last year but I would have done anything to save here in any circumstance. She was the best dog ever!! When I used to go hiking with her, if I fell, she’d come over and lift my head up with her head!! She was a beagle and got attacked by a bigger dog once and I jumped in between them and almost got bit by the other dog!! I miss her!!

I love good strength workouts!!

Rebecca

26 Penny July 23, 2009 at 11:06 am

I would most definitely kick an alligators but if he tried to eat my cat.All the pets I’ve had in my life have been like family to me,so I would do as much as humanly possible to help them.

27 Quinn July 23, 2009 at 11:19 am

I saw that on the news this morning! I think I would go pretty far – I’ve basically thrown myself between him and a Rottweiler before – those maternal instincts are strong!

28 Niki July 23, 2009 at 11:31 am

Yikes!! I would do probably anything to save my dog Sadie. She’s like my child! I can’t imagine letting anything happen to her. My fiance thinks I’m nuts because I treeat her like my child!

29 Fattie Fatterton July 23, 2009 at 11:50 am

Ophelia is my 15 year old cat and I would do anything to save her. She is the closest I will ever come to having a child and I can’t imagine loving a human child more than I love her.

30 Derek July 23, 2009 at 12:11 pm

hmm Meghann, I don’t know about this Caitlin character. Her excuse seems a bit shady. πŸ˜‰

HI CAITLIN!!

31 Bec July 23, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I would definitely have done the same thing for my dog joey!

32 Melissa S. July 23, 2009 at 12:56 pm

i would def do anything for my dogs. i’ve actually split up a dog fight to save my poor dog.

33 Christina July 23, 2009 at 1:08 pm

That story is so touching – I teared up a little bit! I don’t have a dog anymore, but I can’t even imagine watching my boyfriend’s puppy getting attacked. There’s no way I could sit by and do nothing.

34 Lauren July 23, 2009 at 1:21 pm

I suppose I could only know how I’d react if I were actually in the situation, but I bet that my “maternal” instincts would kick in if either my cat or dog were in danger. Considering my husband and I have yet to have kids, our pets are currently our children! We love them so unconditionally, that I would do anything to keep them safe.

35 Courtney July 23, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Man, if I had a dog ~ I’d probably risk some pretty serious shizz for it …

I’m taking a que from you today, I think I’m going to warm-up before my workout with a little dancing. πŸ˜‰

-Courtney

36 Renee July 23, 2009 at 7:04 pm

wow that story about the puppy is amazing! I can relate to it somewhat as once on my farm my horse was getting attacked by a wild dog and I jumped in to protect her. Ended up with 20 stitches on my arm but it was definetly worth it for my girl πŸ™‚

37 Ada July 23, 2009 at 7:48 pm

I would probably do the same for my pooch, I love her more than anything!!!

38 loveprevails July 25, 2009 at 9:51 am

I would do anything to save my dog! She is nearing 16 years old and having so much trouble lately with moving around, if i could i would kill those bad arthritis things in her and may her new again, it kills me I cant save her from everything!
Did you hear about the man whos dog was bitten by a deadly snake and the man sucked out the poison of the wound and almost got himself killed in the process but saved the dog! ? Yup!