Florida Heat

by Meghann on July 21, 2009

I don’t believe most people understand just how ridiculously HOT it gets in Florida during the summer time.

Even though my morning run began before sunrise I am pretty sure it was already close to 90 by the time I was done. Right now the idea of running in anything but short shorts and a sports bra is just too much.  I have been switching between my three favorite running shorts all summer, no capris or full pants for me. It’s just too hot.

After 5 miles this morning I was drenched with sweat and in desperate need of a cold, not hot, shower. I have become a big fan of cold showers the past couple of weeks. It’s great for an instant cool down after a good run.

Wearing pants to work is not an option. This morning I pulled on a pair of jeans, but after having them on just long enough to look in the mirror they already felt sweaty and sticky. Instead of pants I have been opting to wear long shorts, skirt and dresses to the office. I may be a little casual, but I’m really comfortable. 😉

Hot breakfasts are now a big no no. Instead I opt for the cool & refreshing bowl of cereal.

DSCN2837

• 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean
  • 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • 1/2 cup Kashi H2H
  • Black plum
  • grapes
  • Oikos Plain Yogurt

DSCN2839

For some reason I can barely keep my eyes open at my desk. It’s not even 8:30 and I am doing the bobbing head maneuver. I was fine before, but this cloud of sleepiness just came out of nowhere. Its mornings like these that made me wish I drank coffee.

Maybe I can toughen myself up by pinching myself over again, other wise I don’t think I am going to last the whole day!  Or I can just hunt around for a very caffeinated tea bag. Wish me luck!

1 Ada July 21, 2009 at 8:35 am

Wow, I can’t imagine being in such extreme heat! I am probably going to Florida in late August, which I here is like the worst time haha. Hope you cool down and your drowsiness dissipates!

2 Erica July 21, 2009 at 8:43 am

Hey hey! It has been quite toasty outside but inside, one of the managers in my office keeps it like 60 degrees! I feel like I’m going to get sick from the weather change between inside the office and outside! Love those quaker oatmeal squares. I am feeling quite sleepy too….more coffee please!

3 VeggieGirl July 21, 2009 at 8:44 am

Best of luck and stay cool!

4 Suzanne July 21, 2009 at 8:51 am

Oh how I wish I could have some of that Florida heat over here in England, it’s pouring down with rain here!
Send some rays my way….please….!

5 jessica July 21, 2009 at 9:01 am

holy moly! I checked the weather and we’re at 62f while you guys with humidity are at 93f! Yowza! And it’s only 9am! That’s intense! Hopefully you can keep cool and hydrated!

6 Renee July 21, 2009 at 9:04 am

Just wanted to let you know that I referenced you in my Baltimore Food Examiner column post about Green Monsters today!

7 inmytummy July 21, 2009 at 9:05 am

Sometimes when I need a pick-me-up, I just combine water and lemon and some sweetener (I use liquid stevia) and it works just as well as a soda would.

8 nutritionbyeve July 21, 2009 at 9:07 am

I’ve never lived in Florida but have visited on many occasions, so I completely understand what you are talking about! It is so hot – I commend you for still running outside!

Maybe you can take a walk around your office to wake yourself up?!

9 organicglamourgirl July 21, 2009 at 9:12 am

You, Kath, and Jenna make running sound so appealing. Even in the hot weather I wish I could run 5 miles in the moring before work! You are very inspiring! I’m going to try the couch to 5k program in the next few months (after I build up my exercise program a bit).

Hopefully I’ll be blogging about my runs in the future!

10 Amanda's Eats July 21, 2009 at 9:13 am

omg it IS SO HOT! I honestly think its hotter this year than it has been. I’ve never wanted to cut my hair short after I did like 5 years ago, but this weather is really tempting me 😛

11 Derek July 21, 2009 at 9:20 am

mmmm, coffee is good…woke me right up! 🙂

12 Niki July 21, 2009 at 9:26 am

It’s hot like that here in Memphis too! My summer wardrobe consisits mainly of skirts and dresses for the air flow! Ha!

13 Whit July 21, 2009 at 9:29 am

It was hot + muggy in NC this morning too. I was sufficiently sweaty after my run as well. I still wear jeans to the office though.

14 Robin July 21, 2009 at 9:36 am

I am going to Florida in a few weeks and have 15 on the schedule for my first morning there, ooooh, I am going to have so much fun in that heat! I will be scaring people by just wearing my sports bra but am going to do it.

15 Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 21, 2009 at 9:42 am

I don’t know how you do it – I could never take that heat! Stay cool 😉

16 Meganerd July 21, 2009 at 9:47 am

Go get an Iced Coffee (and a free pastry!) from Starbucks!

The iced part will cool you off, the coffee part will wake you up! Sounds perfect to me! 🙂

17 Michaela July 21, 2009 at 9:48 am

The worst part about running in the heat is that even after you’ve finished and you’ve showered, you continue to sweat. It makes getting ready fast and using a hair dryer pretty tough.

18 judy July 21, 2009 at 9:50 am

I CERTAINLY can imagine! I live in Tampa. At least the humidity is taking a break this morning, over here. I follow quite a few blogs and am not really much of a “comments” person because I don’t like “talking to myself”, but I always like to say Hi and wave at my Florida “neighbors” :). Random, I know.
Just a bit of trivia, I used to live in Orlando, used to work at Cape Canaveral AFB too. Long time ago.
Stay awake!

19 Jenny July 21, 2009 at 9:56 am

hope you find a way to perk up soon! maybe get up and stretching or walking around could help wake you up?

20 Katrina (gluten free gidget) July 21, 2009 at 9:59 am

Kombuchas always wake me up. Maybe you can grab one on your lunch break. (one of the perks or working in a health food store is their is always one close by!)

21 Lizzy July 21, 2009 at 10:01 am

I totally know how you feel with already feeling sleepy. I’ve been at the office since 8 and not 10 minutes passed and i was already to go back home to sleep. hopefully the day will fly for us!

22 hypki July 21, 2009 at 10:02 am

I totally know what you mean about the hotness! I went to visit a friend in Tampa last July and decided to sleep in and go for a run around 10am…what a HUGE mistake!
It was so humid I could barely breathe and I was drenched in sweat by the time I reached the end of the driveway. This Wisconsin girl will take the nice 65 degree mornings anyday!

23 Brandi July 21, 2009 at 10:03 am

i hope you find some tea or a snack – I hate having that drowsy/head bobbing feeling at work.

24 Mandy A July 21, 2009 at 10:43 am

I grew up in Florida, so I know exactly what you’re talking about with the heat! July & August are the WORST months for that!

I live in Nashville, TN now… we’re having almost spring-like weather this week! It’s so weird to get up to it only being in the 60’s this week!

Breakfast looked yummy 🙂

25 Mica July 21, 2009 at 10:50 am

Haha, this winter, I kept thinking, “Man, I wish I were in Florida. It looks so beautiful and warm.” Now, though, as I suffer through normal summer heat, I take that wish back. Props to you for running in that heat and mugginess!

26 Kathy (Moving Beyond Perfection) July 21, 2009 at 11:05 am

Wow, that is insanely hot! Good for you for keeping up the running! I don’t think I could handle it! I guess I should prepare though since I’m heading to hong kong soon for 2 weeks to visit my fam, and it’s ridiculously hot AND humid there. We live by this gorgeous mountain called The Peak though, and it’s always fun to hike up it.

27 Matt July 21, 2009 at 11:25 am

It is hot here too. I have been running without a shirt lately!

28 Island Girl Eats July 21, 2009 at 11:58 am

I totally get how HOT it is – I live in the Cayman Islands and it is smoking hot here too! Bring on the winter time!

29 JohannaB July 21, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I deeply understand the heat. I grew up in New Orleans the queen city of humidity. People up here is Kansas think it’s humid here. Little do they know…

30 Sarah July 21, 2009 at 12:26 pm

I hate the head bob! I’ve found that a short walk and a cold drink of water help, should you not be able to find some tea.

31 Rose July 21, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I was falling asleep this morning too! And I was drinking coffee! No good…

32 keri410 July 21, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Ohhh I’m so sleepy too! I need to learn how to shut my body and mind down earlier so I can get to bed sooner! My early mornings are doing wonders combined with late nights!

Breakfast DOES look good tho. Nice, light, and refreshing!

If you want to, could you link back to my blog/giveaway in one of your next posts? I know that sounds obnoxious, but I would be oh so grateful!

Thanks Meghann!!