more ยป" />

Ouch

by Meghann on July 20, 2009

I was reminded of a very important lesson today in the kitchen today. Do not grab the handles of the HOT pan you just pulled out of the oven!

I accidentally burnt the crap out of my hand on the hot handle while making dinner. It hurts and I have to admit is making typing a bit tricky. I’m such a baby. ๐Ÿ™

I guess you’re not a true cook, unless you accidentally burn yourself every once in a while. In that case I am the truest of true cooks. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The culprit behind the burnt hand is the amazing Frittata I made for dinner tonight.

DSCN2828.JPG

I love frittatas. They are so easy to make and you can literally incorporate anything you want in them.

Today’s fritatta contained

• 3 whole Eggs
  • 1/2 cup Egg Whites
  • 1/4 cup Part Skim Ricotta
  • Parmesean Cheese
  • Asparagus
  • Mushrooms
  • Onion
  • Tomato
  • Garlic
  • Basil
  • Parsley
  • S&P

In a small skillet I heated up the veggies and seasonings until they were soft. While those were cooking I combined the eggs and cheeses. Once the veggies were done I poured the veggies over top then moved the pan to a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.

DSCN2827.JPG

I was all out of milk so I substituted with the ricotta cheese I had in my fridge. The results were extra creamy and delish!

I kind of went with a brunch theme for my dinner by having Sweet Potato Hashbrowns and a small Spinach Salad on the side.

DSCN2823.JPG

For the sweet potato hashbrowns I simply cubed a small sweet potato can cooked it on the stove top in a little olive oil with garlic, onion and jalapenos.

DSCN2826.JPG

The spinach salad was summery combination of spinach, blackberries, pecans and a light drizzle of Orange Poppyseed Dressing.

DSCN2825.JPG

The whole meal was very light and refreshing.

Dessert was delish as well.

DSCN2831.JPG

I pulled one of Amanda’s Peanut Butter Trail Mix Bars out of the freezer and had 1/2 with a coating of Ricotta Cheese and Strawberries.

I always forget how much I LOVE ricotta cheese. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s so versatile and can be used in both savory and sweet dishes. Mmmm…..

Earlier this afternoon I had a homemade trail mix for my snack around 3:00.

DSCN2822.JPG

In the container

• TJs Strawberry Yogurt O’s
  • Peanuts
  • Craisins
  • Dark Chocolate Cover Edamame
  • Almonds

After my snack i got a frantic phone call from my Mom. She never calls me at work, so I instantly knew something was up. Apparently my twin bro was involved in a little car accident on his way to the Keys. Luckily no one was hurt, but Josh’s car is now undriveable.

Currently my Dad and Lil Bro are making the 6 hour drive down to trade off cars with Josh so he may continue on his way to his externship. Now, that’s not a 6 hour drive round trip, it’s 6 hours down and 6 hours back. Which they plan to do all tonight. Seriously, how great is my Dad?!?

To me its always a given that no matter where I am I know my Dad or Mom will be there to help me anyways again. This is not the first time my Dad has made a very long trip to trade cars with one of us so he could fix the broken one.

I always assumed every parent would be willing to do the same thing for their kids, but someone reminded me today not all parents are like that. I feel very thankful and greatful to have the parents I do. The ones that are wiling to make a 12 hour drive round trip when I need help or loan me money if I need help.

Thank you Mom and Dad for everything you do! Josh, Kelly, Ben and I are truly lucky to have the parents like you. We do know how great we have it and we appreciate every second of it.

Love you guys!! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Lauren July 20, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Aww you poor thing! Sorry to hear about your hand, that’s the worst. Kitchen war wounds are such a pain but usually well deserved.

Oh my gosh, that’s so awful about your brother, but thank GOD he is okay! And Amen for wonderful parents. I fully beleive that we are an outcome of our parents and I credit so much of who I am today to them.

It’s so great that you recognize that and apprecaite them because I am sure it makes their hearts entirely full to hear.

Take care of that hand girl. Try aloe or sour cream. Works like a charm!

2 Bee July 20, 2009 at 9:08 pm

That frittata looks AMAZING – I want to make it right now! I’m so glad your brother is ok – car accidents are the worst :(.

3 Kailey July 20, 2009 at 9:12 pm

i hope your brother is okay!! your parents sound like amazing people ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Amanda July 20, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Sorry about your hand!!

I am glad your brother is ok. Your parents sound wonderful!

5 Whit July 20, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Your parents sound great! Of course mine are pretty great too ;), but I am biased. I don’t know that either of them have ever made a 12 hr round trip for me, but they have come to every car accident I ever had.

6 julie July 20, 2009 at 9:23 pm

aww your dad is AWESOME! so glad your brother is okay ๐Ÿ™‚

your binner looks delicious ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Spotty Prep July 20, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Ouuuch, sorry you were burned, but the meal looks fabulous!

My parents are the same way! My one brother is always getting into little situations- locking his keys in his car, losing his keys, running out of gas, etc. My mom, dad or his girlfriend are always bailing him out! He’s the biggest sweetheart though…just a little ditzy haha.

8 nutritionbyeve July 20, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Glad your brother is ok! Having a close family is really great.

Your frittata looks DELICIOUS!!! I love breakfast for dinner.

9 MarathonVal July 20, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Hope your hand and your brother are ok! I agree that we are so blessed to have good parents. As an inner city social worker, unfortunately I too often see the result of poor parenting and it makes such a huge difference throughout the child’s life.

10 Brandi July 20, 2009 at 9:38 pm

i burn myself all the time in the kitchen! horrible.

I’m SO glad your brother is okay! you are blessed to have family like that – I’m thankful to have family that is there for us, too. It definitely makes a big difference.

11 Sheri July 20, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Awww..sorry to hear about you hand! I have done that and it hurts! But I must say your frittata looks delish..the whole meal looks fabulous! One thing that keeps happening to me in the kitchen is getting CUT with my new incrediable sharp knifes! They are great..but ouch!

You have amazing parents! I too am blessed with awesome parents and it is so wonderful. Glad to hear that your bother is aok!

12 strivingforbalance July 20, 2009 at 9:59 pm

glad your brother is okay!!! Your parents are great ๐Ÿ™‚

i will be definitely be making that fritatta in the future ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Matt July 20, 2009 at 10:05 pm

AWESOME DINNER!

I have always wanted to make sweet potato hashbrowns. I think tomorrow is the night!

14 Casey @ Double Scooped July 20, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Ahh I have many battle wounds that were the result of being too hungry and too reckless while making dinner!!

15 organicglamourgirl July 20, 2009 at 10:21 pm

I liked the shout out to your parents. Parents are a true blessing! Yours remind me of mine. Late night drives, a full tank of gas, a $20 in the cup holder of the car when you leave, all those little and big things are completely priceless and we can only hope we pay them back and return the favor someday!

16 biz319 July 20, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Thank goodness you brother is okay!

I would do the same thing for my kids – no questions asked! ๐Ÿ˜€

17 Nicole July 20, 2009 at 10:26 pm

I’m glad your brother is okay! Your father is so kind to do that! I am always so thankful for the things my parents do for me.

18 leslie July 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm

glad your brother is ok. your dad is amazing for doing that!

i burned my arm on my oven about a few months ago, and i still have the scar to prove it. guess that makes me a true cook? ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Alison July 20, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Glad your bro is okay!

Speaking of important kitchen lessons – I was reminded the other day that if you’re concerned that the stove burner is not hot enough, you should not put your finger on the burner. It might be quite hot. ๐Ÿ™‚

20 jocelyneatsfresh July 20, 2009 at 10:40 pm

wow really glad to hear your brother is ok..that is definitely the main thing!!!!!!!!!!! Your parents are truly amazing for doing what they are doing. Honestly, I work at a non profit centre and I have kids coming half dressed on cold days, without lunches, some parents forgetting to pick their kids up on a ccount of (being on the couch all day boozed up)…Consider yourself VERY lucky!!

21 Island Girl Eats July 20, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Happy to hear that your brother is okay. My parents are just the same – always there when I need them. Love them so much!!!!

22 Kathy (Moving Beyond Perfection) July 20, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Ahh I’m so glad your brother is okay! That’s so scary!

Your frittata looks amazing though – I’d love to try it out sometime!

23 amanda July 20, 2009 at 11:02 pm

You are very lucky with your parents indeed! I have always thought that, all those fun vacations and get togethers! My father would NEVER drive to help me. My mother would though =)

24 Simone July 20, 2009 at 11:25 pm

First off, shout out to your parents, they sound amazing! Secondly, I burned my hand tonight doing the SAME thing..except I was taking roasted veggies out of the oven, but you get the picture. I am currently icing my hand with a bag of frozen peas and typing one hand and one finger style. Oh the joys!

25 Rebeca July 20, 2009 at 11:30 pm

I’m glad your bro is okay… I have parents like that and there is nothing better… Kudos to you for realizing that and being thankful!

Mmm yum frittata!

26 Andrea July 21, 2009 at 12:40 am

Your parents look so kind when you have pictures of them on the blog. They raised a great, thoughtful daughter, so they can’t be half bad ๐Ÿ™‚

27 helenapooh July 21, 2009 at 7:17 am

Lol! I did the same thing last week, also while making a frittata!

28 caitlin July 21, 2009 at 7:47 am

shout out to the rents!!!

29 Jennifer July 21, 2009 at 10:16 am

I made a fritatta on Sunday morning and my boyfriend forgot I had just taken the pan out of the oven and did the same thing, burned his hand- I felt so bad! A trick is when you pull the pan out, slide the oven mitt over the handle so 1. you remember it is hot and 2. you will have protection in case you need to handle it

30 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 21, 2009 at 10:19 am

I always grab items out of the oven without a mitt–I’m glad I’m not the only one!!

Hooray for awesome parents!!

31 Sarah July 21, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Wow, that frittata looks good. I haven’t had one in soo long.
Hope your hand feels better.
Glad your brother is unhurt. That was lucky!

32 Lynn (The Actors Diet) July 21, 2009 at 6:10 pm

i forget about ricotta too – gonna get some soon!