Best Chicken Salad Sandwich

by Meghann on July 20, 2009

Introducing the Best Chicken Salad Sandwich ever!

DSCN2812

Last night I had leftover Herbed Yogurt Dressing after I coated my salmon in it. We all know I hate to waste, so I made the impromptu decision to coat the left over chicken from Saturday night’s pasta in the dressing. The results were just what I envisioned, phenomenal. 🙂

DSCN2815

The Herbed Yogurt Dressing Chicken Salad made a great filling for my sandwich today with the addition of Spinach and Tomato.

DSCN2820

Accompanying the Best Chicken Salad Sandwich ever was a Farmer’s Market black plum and sugar snap peas.

Before lunch I snacked on a Pumpkin Pie Kashi Bar.

DSCN2809

My Bar stash is overflowing right now so I am starting to dig some old ones out of the bottom to make sure I neat them all up before the expire. This on was set to expire at the end of next month… Yikes!

Did you know today is the 40th anniversary from when we first walked on the moon?

Growing up on the Space Coast this piece of information is a big deal to me. The town I am from basically thrives from the space community. Most of my friend’s parents worked for the Space Center, heck even my little brother is currently employed in NASA land. To put it even more in prospective I went to Apollo Elementary and Astronaut High School. 🙂

When my Grandparents first moved to Florida in the late fifties they lived on what is now the Merrit Island Wildlife Refuge or Cape Canaveral Seashore. When the government decided to build the Space Center in the early 60s, they ‘bought’ my Grandparents land out from underneath of them as well as the rest of the small community. The government needed to have control of a certain radius of the shuttle pad for safety reasons and turned the area into a protected refuge. This turn of events is actually how my Grandpa first started the family business and the rest is history.

Is there any fun links between your family and major events in history?

1 Whit July 20, 2009 at 1:34 pm

That chicken salad looks phenomenal! I don’t have a very interesting family history, unfortunately. No historic links or anything as far as I am aware.

2 brandi July 20, 2009 at 1:38 pm

great chicken salad!

No real ties that I know about except that:

– I’m part American Indian (Blackfoot). My grandfather’s grandmother was the chief’s wife, so I guess I’m connected to the land.

– Ulysses S. Grant, the once President of the US, is in my family tree somewhere

3 keri410 July 20, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Wow, I think I’m going to seriously consider making that yogurt dressing! It looks amazing!

Historical links…. mmmmm, no… not that I know of. But my ancestors are pretty darn awesome!

Hey, just wanted to let you know about a giveaway that I’m hosting on over at http://www.hopskipleap.wordpress.com!

Thought me might wanna hear about it!
Thanks,
Keri

4 runnerskitchen July 20, 2009 at 1:55 pm

I love chicken salad! My dad was in the Army when I was growing up and during the mid to late ’80’s we were stationed near Berlin, Germany. My Dad missed my sister’s 1st b-day party because he was on duty as the Berlin Wall was being torn down. My lil sis fell asleep with her face in the cake, hehe.

5 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) July 20, 2009 at 1:55 pm

That sandwich looks awesome! I will have to try that dressing…

6 Sarah July 20, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Wow, Meghann, that is cool history!

My hometown is the #3 choice for an emergency space shuttle landing site.
…And also the #3 most likely target for a nuclear attack uhhhh….

As far as family goes… I’m related to both Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant. How did that happen?

7 April July 20, 2009 at 6:51 pm

OMG, that’s craziness!

8 Therese July 20, 2009 at 2:22 pm

After seeing you post that yogurt dressing yesterday I was thinking how versatile it seemed. I can’t wait to try it out!! It would be good as tuna salad too!

I’m definitely going to make this! I’ll let you know how it turns out 🙂

9 AshleyP July 20, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Neat history! I’m a multi-generational Floridian too, but no cool stories as far as I know…but I love to hear my parents and grandparents talk about the way our hometown used to be!

10 Quinn July 20, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I do love me a good chicken salad! My mom used to nanny for the Kennedys – well Eunice Kennedy who is the mother of Maria Shriver (she was away at fat camp that summer) – and had to go to the Cape to watch all of the kids – including JFK Jr and Caroline!

Two other fun pieces. My grandmother (paternal) wore the Hope Diamond at a dinner party of the last woman who owned it before it went to the Smithsonian.

And, my grandfather (maternal) was on the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

11 Christina July 20, 2009 at 2:57 pm

That’s so funny with the names of your schools. One of my friends grew up in a town called Mars and their school mascot was the warring planets. I like hearing about interesting town names and such!

12 Traci July 20, 2009 at 3:01 pm

No real links here but I have been thinking about the fact the I was born just days after they first walked on the moon (yes, #40 in a couple of days..YIKES). Not looking forward to #40, but it’s just a number right? Lunch looks great

13 Ada July 20, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Yum, that sandwich looks great! In terms of historical links the only one I can think of is that my mom worked for Harvey Milk when she was in college in San Francisco and she also was a journalist in Berlin when the wall came down.

14 Run Niki Run July 20, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I am definitely going to have to try this yogurt dressing!

My only semi-interesting family factoid is that my great grandfather started a hardwood flooring mill that makes the floors for many of the NBA teams.

15 Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 20, 2009 at 3:44 pm

yogurt dressing looks delish! So creamy!

16 veggiefuel July 20, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Hi Meghann! I am very new to blogging but I’ve been following your and Caitlin’s blogs for a little while, and I just want to thank you for your Bikini Confidence posts! I’m headed to the beach in a little over a week and seeing you and your friends accepting and loving your bodies really gives me that extra boost of confidence to accept myself and be proud of my body. Congrats on your marathon, too!

17 roseyrebecca July 20, 2009 at 4:24 pm

That does look like the best chicken salad sandwich ever!! My boyfriend is obsessed with space stuff/NASA. He even went down to Florida to watch a shuttle launch a couple years ago! He was just saying earlier today that he’d move to Florida just to be close to NASA. That’s fine by me! I’d love to live in Florida!

18 Susan July 20, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Oooh, I bookmarked that martha stewart recipe after reading your last post. Now I’m definitely going to make it! 🙂

I’m related to Amelia Earhart 😉

19 cottchz July 20, 2009 at 4:56 pm

I had to do my genogram in college and it was sort of a sad experience as I found out my “supposed” destiny and all the crappy biological traits and whatnot. I was recently speaking to a sociological prof down here who teaches in the doctorate program at UNC and professors are now discouraged to have students do their genogram for just that purpose, I found that interesting. I guess you can take it one of two ways, look at it as spinning cycles, or how you are going to change it. I am determined to change it!

20 nutritionbyeve July 20, 2009 at 5:11 pm

That really does look delicious! I love all the colors in your lunch.

21 Tay July 20, 2009 at 5:32 pm

My bar stash is ridiculous right now as well and my Kashi bars have already expired! Ehhh I’ll still eat them. But work on that! haha.

Um…Abe Lincoln died and the Titanic sunk on my birthday. Does that count?? haha

22 April July 20, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I’m really from “out west”… Colorado actually. My family is related to Jesse James. I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing!

23 Rebeca July 20, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Chicken + Yogurt Dressing sounds amazing!

You know that guy who explored Antarctica? Some distant relative… that’s where my bro got his daredevil attitude but it must have skipped me 🙂

24 Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) July 20, 2009 at 8:25 pm

That chicken salad looks sooo yummy!!

My only historical tie is that Abraham Lincoln once stayed at my great-great-great-great grandmother’s house and she patched up a whole in his pants! 😀

25 Nicole July 20, 2009 at 9:33 pm

I had a pumpkin spice granola bar too 😀