more ยป" />

Universal is Now a Family Affair

by Meghann on July 18, 2009

I learned a very important lesson this morning… do not try new raw foods and plan to run 10 miles the next morning.

The very rich, nut based food did a number on my stomach. Let’s just say I was able to get some reading done in the bathroom very early this morning and my 10 mile run turned into a 5 miler with a couple of pit stops included.

I continued to feel bloated the rest of the day. Derek said it didn’t bother him at all. Ughh…

Despite the tummy troubles, my appetite was still apparent and accounted for.

After my disappointing run I came home and my Derek, my twin bro and I a batch of Whole Wheat Waffles before we headed out for the day.

DSCN2679.JPG

I topped my waffle with Plain Oikos Yogurt, Strawberries, Blueberries, and a drizzle of syrup.

DSCN2680.JPG

They were very tasty and having something new in my stomach did help.

My twin bro had called me last night around 6:00pm asking what my plans were for the weekend, when I told him Derek and I were planning on heading to Universal in the morning he stated he wanted to go and drove up from Miami. My Mom then discovered my brother’s plans and before I knew it our Universal adventure became a family affair. ๐Ÿ™‚

DSCN2689.JPG

I was very excited when everyone took advantage of the special at Universal right now where you can purchase a 2 park pass good for the rest of the year for only $99. Now they can come back any time they want until the end of December. Yay for annual pass buddies!

DSCN2692.JPG

We are already making plans to come back together when the crowds die down in October and then when Christmas season rolls around.

DSCN2693.JPG

By the time we actually got in the park and had rode a couple of rides i was feeling snacky. I pulled a Plum out of my bag to snack on.

DSCN2699.JPG

We stopped for lunch around 1:00pm and I happily pulled out the lunch I packed myself this morning.

DSCN2702.JPG

Before we left the apartment I made a delicious wrap of Almond Butter, Spinach, Grated Carrots and Craisins. I am obsessed with this combo at the moment.

DSCN2686.JPG

My sister, Kelly, and I are trying to perfect the wrap to a tee and I think we both agreed grating the carrot before adding it to the wrap adds the best texture and chewability. ๐Ÿ˜‰

DSCN2703.JPG

With the wrap I brought along a bag of Mrs. Vick’s Jalapeno Pickled Chips that have been in my pantry for a while.

DSCN2705.JPG

They gave a nice spice to my lunch.

I got a kick out of the giant turkey leg my twin bro and Dad shared.

DSCN2707.JPG

I remembered when I was little we used to go to Disney and my Dad would buy two Turkey Legs for the 6 of us t share for lunch. I stole a piece of theirs today and it brought back a lot of good memories.

For dessert Kelly pulled out 1/2 a Cinnamon Scone that she let me steal a bite of.

DSCN2711.JPG

It was Hot, Hot, Hot at the parks today, so we took full advantage of the water rides.

DSCN2712.JPG

DSCN2714.JPG

And no Islands of Adventure is complete without the traditional funny Spiderman glasses photo.

DSCN2717.JPG

I felt like a bottomless pit around 3:00 and pulled out a Simply Harvest Bar to tame the hunger.

DSCN2722.JPG

The bar helped, but it didn’t stop me from indulging in some TCBY with the family once we left the parks.

DSCN2723.JPG

I had a small Peanut Butter/ Vanilla Swirl with Reeses Pieces on top. I can never resist the TCBY in CityWalk right outside Universal.

We have big plans of bowling tonight! It should be fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Simone July 18, 2009 at 7:04 pm

I am in the middle of transitioning to a more raw lifestyle. I felt the same way you did this morning for the first few days when I started going raw; bloated and stomach achey. Oh, and bathroom ridden! :/ But for someone who has had the other type of bathroom issues my entire life (TMI?!), going multiple times a day was somewhat of a good thing for me. Now that I eat raw on a consistent basis, I am never bloated and rarely have a stomach ache. I think our bodies just need the time to get acquainted to so much raw food at one sitting. I hope it doesn’t deter you from eating more raw food meals in the future, but maybe not on a day before a big run?! Glad you’re feeling better though, and cool with the water rides in the tremendous summer heat! I am so jealous of your family Universal outing. It’s hard to get a nice roller coaster fix here in NYC. I guess I need to take a trip to coney island!

2 Run Niki Run July 18, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Looks like you and your family had a lot of fun!! Plus, your waffles look A-MA-ZING! ๐Ÿ™‚

3 runrunjessicarun July 18, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Oh man! I wanna go back to FL so badly now! I loooooved the Spiderman ride, we did it at least 3 times. And the Dr Seuss ride…amazing!!! Ah what a fun place!

Sorry to hear about your tummy troubles ๐Ÿ™ But I would like to say thanks for being honest about it… I often have tummy troubles and it can be embarrassment! ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) July 18, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Glad your stomach is feeling better! Looks like you had a great day at the park, that ice cream sounds amazing!! ๐Ÿ™‚

5 VeggieGirl July 18, 2009 at 7:20 pm

SO FUN!! I miss Universal.

6 Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write July 18, 2009 at 8:16 pm

OMG your post made me homesick in a weird way. Growing up we went to Florida on vacation all the time. We have disneyland and stuff here in Cali, but it doesn’t compare. Not even close.

7 MarathonVal July 18, 2009 at 8:22 pm

I had some major stomache issues after the first couple days of going raw (which included a lot more nut dishes than I’m used to … but oh man, I love nut cheese!! good stuff!!)

I think it takes our bodies a while to get used to different foods like that – you are lucky you have such a great looking restaurant in town! AND lucky to have Universal in your backyard! ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Melissa S. July 18, 2009 at 8:37 pm

lame about the run…danged raw foods!

but love the universal family affair!!! reminds me of when we went…ahhhhh….me and brad miss you!

9 Kailey July 18, 2009 at 9:08 pm

aww im sorry to hear that you had to cute your run short because of the raw food :\ 5 miles is still great though!
sounds like you had fun at universal with the family ๐Ÿ˜€

10 Matt July 18, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Sounds like a fun day! Sorry about the brown bear attack though!

11 trinichiqn July 18, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Seeing as you snacked on a plum, have you ever had a yellow plum. I saw some for the first time today so of course I bought them. I haven’t tried it as yet but I was wondering if anyone ever had it?

12 Kathy (Moving Beyond Perfection) July 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm

I’m sorry about your tummy troubles!! I HATE having an upset or bloated stomach. Unfortunately I have terribly bloated stomachs ALL week the week before my monthly gift. It really sucks and I wish there was a cure for that.

And that TURKEY LEG is insane!!!!! Seriously, my eyes just popped wide open when I saw the size of it! haha, gosh, your brother and dad must’ve loved it! I know my dad would’ve!

13 runnerskitchen July 18, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Aww, sorry about the tummy troubles! I know exactly how that feels…I was paranoid about bathroom issues before the Boston marathon….Sounds like you were still able to have a fun day. p.s. I LOVE TCBY!!

14 Susan July 19, 2009 at 5:10 am

Bahaha, that turkey leg is ridiculous!! ๐Ÿ˜› I love spontaneous outings like that.

Sorry about your tummy ๐Ÿ™ High amounts of fat dense foods (ie nuts, oils, avocados, etc.) do a number on my stomach too. Definitely something to be “eased” into ๐Ÿ˜›

15 Danielle July 19, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Hubby and I LOVE Universal and Islands of Adventure! We go three or four times a year. Looks like you guys had a great time ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Rachel July 19, 2009 at 8:49 pm

I have all of those ingredients you put in your wrap. I would’ve never thought of putting those things together but I think I’ll try it – you give me so many great ideas about combinations of ingredients!