more ยป" />

Bowl O Rama

by Meghann on July 18, 2009

When I asked Derek what he wanted me to make for dinner tonight he suggested ‘pasta with a side of pasta.’ The boy loves his pasta!

Now, I am not the biggest fan of pasta, in fact its one of my least favorite dishes out there, but every once in a while the mood strikes me to make a killer pasta dish and lucky for Derek tonight just happened to be one of them.

DSCN2729.JPG

For me the key to making a great pasta dish is lots of extras thrown in with great flavor. This dish was a great success in my opinion. ๐Ÿ™‚

I simply roasted a collection of vegetables that included Eggplant, Brussel Sprouts, Carrots, Apple, and Mushrooms in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. While the veggies were roasting I pan seared some chicken on the stove top with onion, garlic and fresh parsley and boiled some whole wheat rottitini. Once every thing was done I combined it all in a dish with pasta sauce and ricotta cheese, then baked at 375 for 15 minutes.

DSCN2730.JPG

The results were very tasty if I do say so myself. It always lets me know a dish is a success when both my twin bro and Derek go back for seconds. ๐Ÿ™‚

DSCN2733.JPG

With the pasta bake dish I had a Massaged Kale Salad.

DSCN2737.JPG

The boys weren’t into the kale so I had Garlic Bread as well.

DSCN2734.JPG

The garlic bread was very easy. I simple sprayed a hoagie with olive oil and sprinkled with garlic and parmesan cheese. I wrapped the bread in aluminum and put it in the oven as I baked the pasta.

After dinner the three of us met my sister, Kelly, her boyfriend Anthony and his cousin David for some bowling fun.

DSCN2745.JPG

It’s pretty amazing how expensive bowling is on a Saturday Kelly and I had to call around several different bowling alleys to find one that we considered reasonably priced.

DSCN2746.JPG

At least the beer was cheap. Our gang split a couple of pitchers of Amberbocks during our games.

DSCN2748.JPG

I had 3 of the tiny cups which was probably equivalent to a pint.

DSCN2740.JPG

I bowled one really bad game and then a really good one, but overall had a great time. ๐Ÿ™‚

DSCN2753.JPG

It has been fun having my twin bro in town for the weekend. He leaves Monday for a month’s rotation in the Keys and who knows when we will have a chance to hang out with him again. At least I have my lil sis in town no permanently to keep me company. ๐Ÿ™‚

DSCN2756.JPG

Derek and I just rented Yes, Man and are settling in for the night. Let’s see how long I can stay awake. Good night!

1 jocelyneatsfresh July 18, 2009 at 11:32 pm

Looks like fun! I love bowling..but it is very true, that it can be expensive! Imagine that! Family friendly fun and it’s pricey lol. That pasta dish sounds really good! I should try something like that but omit the chicken ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Kim July 18, 2009 at 11:44 pm

They showed Yes, Man on a recent international flight I was on… if you’re like me and the rest of the plane, you’ll be asleep within the first 20 minutes ๐Ÿ˜‰

3 trinichiqn July 18, 2009 at 11:55 pm

I can’t believe you are not a fan of pasta. When I was younger the only good thing about being sick was that you got to eat your favs whole day, I always wanted pasta in any way, shape or form. It is so versatile, I can have it every day (which I don’t, really I don’t) and never ever repeat a dish for weeks, plus it goes with everything. There are so many kinds and they all taste different (yes they do), people disagree with me on that but penne tastes different to elbow andmacaroni and spaghetti.
Okay I think you got it I love pasta.

4 Nicole July 19, 2009 at 12:13 am

You three look so alike!

When I was younger, pasta was one of the only dishes I ate! Just plain pasta with butter and salt. I ate it so much that I got terribly sick of it. To this day, pasta just does not appeal to me at all!

5 Nicole July 19, 2009 at 4:21 am

You three look so alike!

Sorry, forgot to add great post! Can’t wait to see your next post!

6 Kailey July 19, 2009 at 6:41 am

wow that pasta dish looks SO GOOD!! I would never know that you aren’t too fond of pasta. Love all of the added veggies.

7 Susan July 19, 2009 at 6:53 am

I like how you add apple to everything – I would call it your “signature” ๐Ÿ˜› It really does taste great in most dishes though!!

I’m not a huge pasta person either. People always assume it’s a “diet” thing, but I honestly think noodles taste bland, same with rice. Even as a kid I would take like 10 noodles and cover the rest of my plate in sauce ๐Ÿ˜‰

8 Meghann July 19, 2009 at 7:13 am

haha I was the same way, except I would take the garlic bread and cover it in sauce, but it had to be a good sauce with meatballs added it.

9 Ada July 19, 2009 at 7:22 am

I share the same opinion about pasta as you, but that dish sure looks good! I much prefer the sauce to the actual pasta so yours looked delicious! Your bowling night looked like an absolute blast as well:)

10 Katrina (gluten free gidget) July 19, 2009 at 8:00 am

Pasta is much better with a TON of veggies, adding red wine to the sauce is yummy too!
I can’t bowl without bumpers! ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Christina July 19, 2009 at 8:14 am

haha I fall asleep at every movie I attempt to watch too. Yes, Man is pretty cute though!

12 Red Head, Yellow Dog July 19, 2009 at 9:53 am

sounds like a fun night! I’m totally with you on the pasta. def not a fave of mine and I always want to bulk it up with a million different add-ins!

13 Island Girl Eats July 19, 2009 at 10:35 am

That looks like a really good pasta dish.

14 Matt July 19, 2009 at 11:01 am

That pasta looks good! I had pasta last night too!

15 healthy ashley July 19, 2009 at 11:13 am

I wish we could’ve gone last night! The bowling alley looks nice! maybe next weekend? ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Meredith July 19, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Pasta looks great!
Dan and I almost went bowling last night, but somehow ended up next door at Dave and Buster’s instead.

17 Evan Thomas July 19, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Apples in a pasta dish? I’ll have to give that a try. I bet a sweet apple would go perfect in a mac n’ cheese with some gouda