Bok Choy Dilemma

by Meghann on July 14, 2009

Look what I found in the mail today.

DSCN2537.JPG

I am a sucker for keepsake momentos like this. I have an urge to buy a frame and hang it on the wall next to medal and number. πŸ™‚

I can not believe it has already been a month and a half since my marathon! Its an experience I want to just keep reliving in my head over and over again. I love racing and am antsy for our race season to start up again in Florida in September.

I already have my first race lined up for September 26 – Miracle Miles, which I completed last year with Caitlin. I was giddy as a school girl browsing the registration information online today. Thinking about races just get my blood pumping!

Food gets my blood pumping as well!

Today I had a pack of Almonds and a Passion Fruit Dried Fruit Leather for my snack.

DSCN2535.JPG

I bought some Bok Choy the other week, hoping I would do something creative with it, but instead it just sat in my fridge. After googling what to do with bok choy the only thing I could come up with was stir fry. So much for creativity. Oh well, I knew I had to eat it tonight, so a simple stir fry it was.

DSCN2539.JPG

For the stir fry I heated my wok on high and coated it with sesame oil before adding my veggies, which included

• Bok Choy
  • Onion
  • Carrots
  • Garlic
  • Mushrooms
  • Snap Peas
  • Tomato
  • Craisins

Once the veggies were soft I made a simple sauce Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce, Vinegar, Apricot Preserves, Ground Ginger Root, Red Pepper Flakes and Sesame Seeds then added it to the pan.

DSCN2540.JPG

I topped my stir fry with left over Baked Tofu and Raw Cashews.

DSCN2541.JPG

The bok choy reminded me of any other green, specifically my below souther collard. I thought it was refreshing in the stir fry. My impromptu sauce with the addition of apricot preserves gave the dish a nice sweet and spicy kick. πŸ™‚

Does anyone have any fun suggestions for next time I contemplate bok choy?

For dessert I discovered something in my freezer that has gone ignored for far too long.

DSCN2545.JPG

Girl Scout Thin Mints! I enjoyed a four cookie serving. πŸ˜‰

While eating dinner/ dessert I watched the movie Push I had received through NetFlix. Take my advice, DO NOT see that movie. :/

That is all.

1 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) July 14, 2009 at 8:18 pm

What did you not like about Push? I hate when movies look decent in previews and then the actual movie sucks. :/

2 Meghann July 14, 2009 at 8:31 pm

I didn’t like how bad the story line was and all the holes in it. Also they could have done more with the special effects.

3 Lauren July 14, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Yeah, I think Bok Choy is pretty limited expect for in stir frys. I would have done the same thing. Well, it does look delcious!!

Meghann, I have a question for you. I know that you usualy do your workouts in the morning and you usually run (I run every monring too) but I was wondering if you are still doing strength or another cross training after work. I vaugely remember you doing The Shred workouts after you got home from work, but I didn’t know if that was because you were doing the challenge or if you routinely strength train?

Hope you are well hun!

4 Meghann July 14, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Strength training is always my weakness. I SHOULD be doing strength training after work, but I usually don’t. πŸ™ When I was going the shred challenge last time it just happened to fit in my schedule where I was doing the shred after work because I wanted to keep running in the morning. Doing the challenge again I am hoping to work some of the strength training back into to my routine.

5 Simone July 14, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Yea, I’ve seen Push…wasn’t a fan either. :/ Oh well, gotta love netflix anyways!

6 Madison July 14, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Amen AMEN to not seeing Push! It was sooo weird and eclectic….and not interesting at all!

Those thin mints look divinnnnnnne

7 Nicole July 14, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Yay! I love stuff like that too. I still have all my medals, trophies, and banners from cheerleading competitions!

8 Rose July 14, 2009 at 8:51 pm

You rocked that marathon, and I loved your video from that race.

The tofu looks great! I love the star plate. I think everyone should have one of those πŸ™‚

9 Erica July 14, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Thats such a great keep sake! I bet it brought back all of the wonderful (and maybe not so wonderful ;)) memories from the marathon! I have never cooked with bok choy! Let us know if you find any good recipes.

10 Rebeca July 14, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Mmm, there’s nothing wrong with stirfry… it’s so good!

Girl Scout Thin Mints are the best, I ate my once a year box entirely too fast!

I like using bok choy as a wrap type thing… with a spicy peanut dressing.

I also used to make a sort of Asian version of a tamale with them (I still used corn meal, just used different spices and veggies). Yum.

11 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 14, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Well whether it was very creative or not, it looks delicious!

12 Matt July 14, 2009 at 9:16 pm

I have never made bok choy so I am not much help there. Too complicated for me!

13 Meg July 14, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Stir-fry is the only way I enjoy Bok Choy! I love it!

Awesome momento!

14 Whit July 14, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Love the momento!

At least you had some thin mints to get you through a terrible movie.

that is all. πŸ˜‰

15 Michaela July 14, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Check out this website:

I think the grilled shrimp satay with peaches and bok choy sounds really good. There are 68 different recipes here though. Epicurious is one of my favorite places to look for recipes. They compile articles from Gourmet and Bon Appetit magazines. Hope this helps!

16 Bec July 14, 2009 at 9:52 pm

that stir fry looks amazing, I havent had tofu in weeks and now I think it needs to happen soon!

17 Kim July 14, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Nothing wrong with a good old stir-fry… who among us would have survived their early 20s without it? πŸ˜‰ Bok choy can also be lovely in an Asian-inspired salad… I like to add water chestnuts, sesame seeds, tofu, and ginger dressing. Yum!

18 Christina July 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Yum, frozen thin mints are the best!

19 JB July 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm

the stir-fry looks delicious! try making a soup with bok choy next time. and i JUST bought push on pay per view the other day. it was too confusing for me. i had a very hard time following, and ended up not really paying attention to it the longer it went on for, haha.

have a lovely evening, girl!

-JB

20 caronae July 14, 2009 at 10:56 pm

I like to use bok choy with spinach, chard, arugula, and any other dark leafy greens and, and just cook them all up until they’re wilted. They taste amazing altogether!

21 Derek July 14, 2009 at 11:35 pm

if you don’t frame it, I will.

22 Jessica July 15, 2009 at 11:33 am

AWW.

23 Andee (Runtolive) July 14, 2009 at 11:48 pm

I love using bok choy in soups. I made this light and flavorful miso tofu soup with bok choy, shitake mushrooms and edamame a while ago. Here is the link to my recipe: http://runtolive.wordpress.com/2009/06/30/miso-infused-tofu-soup-with-baby-bok-choy-shitake-mushrooms-edamame/

24 bobbi July 15, 2009 at 12:07 am

thats so funny I too had the cookies for dessert!!!

25 MarathonVal July 15, 2009 at 1:27 am

Geez, nice marathon time!!! You beat my time by a fair amount! Do you have ny plans ot do any more marathons soon?

26 Amanda July 15, 2009 at 8:08 am

This bok choy salad is delicious (I like it without dressing, too) and so easy to make:
Salad: 1 medium head bok choy, diced, 1 bunch green onions, chopped, chow mein noodles, blanched slivered almonds, water chestnuts, mandarin oranges, raisins (for all ingredients – as much as you want)
Dressing: put in a container with a lid: 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/3 cup white sugar, 3 tbsp soy sauce. Close lid, shake until well mixed.
Combine salad ingredients in a salad bowl. Toss with dressing, and serve.

27 Danielle July 15, 2009 at 8:36 am

Use bok choy as a lettuce (raw) in an Asian salad. Add carrots, cabbage, water chestnuts, sprouts, and bamboo shoots with a homeade peanut dressing…Delish!

28 Caity July 15, 2009 at 9:14 am

My absolute FAVORITE bok choy recipe:
bok choy, chopped
1 cucumber, sliced into rounds
equal parts: (I use 2 Tablespoons each – but you have to see how much vegetables will need) sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, salad oil
crumbled-up Ramen noodles (the best part)
Enjoy!

29 Therese July 15, 2009 at 10:37 am

Oh. My.Yum. Thin mints. How Iove thee.

Strength Training is still something I have to FORCE myself to do, but it really has helped my metabolism. The muscle just burns up waay more extra calories throughout the day, whereas running just burns them in the moment.

I notice my body bounces back much more quickly after a vacation, holiday, etc. when I have been strength training more. So keep it up girl!

30 roseyrebecca July 16, 2009 at 6:16 pm

I love thin mints!! I always feel better eating them because they’re from Girl Scouts!