30 Day Shred: Take 2

by Meghann on July 14, 2009

Back in April I successfully finished Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred Challenge with positive results. By completing a 20 minute segment of the DVD over a 30 day period I ended the challenge feeling focused, toned, and full of energy. You can read my full review here.

As I am not officially training for any upcoming races at the moment, I felt I needed to find a challenge to give myself a goal and keep me motivated. After previously completing the challenge I stated the 30 Day shred was the perfect work out for anyone wanting to tone up before an event. Well, with Boston exactly a month a way I knew I had the motivation I needed. With that I made the snap decision last night to take Jillian up on her challenge again.

This morning marked Day 1 of my second go around with the 30 Day Shred. πŸ™‚

DSCN2523

Well, actually first I did a mini tennis camp boot camp to get the blood flowing.

I repeated the circuit 5 times

• 10 Suicides width wise of the tennis court
  • 30 Jumping Jacks
  • 30 High Knees
  • 30 Butt Kicks
  • 50 Jump Ropes (with a real jump rope)
  • 50 Crunches

Then I came back and did Level 1 of the Shred.

I plan to follow the same plan I previously followed with the 30 Day shred. I will complete Level 1 for 10 days, Level 2 for the next 10 and Level 3 for the last 10.

I am looking forward to completing the challenge again. I love presenting myself with a challenge to keep me motivated and on track, otherwise my strength training always falls to the waist side.

After I completed level 1 I had a special treat for breakfast.

DSCN2517

I could not resist the very tempting Cinnamon Walnut Scone from Whole Foods this weekend. It was very sweet, but so good.

DSCN2522

Got to love the occasional breakfast treat. πŸ˜‰

On the side I made a fruit salad that consisted of Peach, Plum. Kiwi, Strawberries, Blueberries and Oikos Greek Plain Yogurt.

DSCN2519

I made a good bit of fruit salad so I can enjoy it again tomorrow. πŸ™‚

What would you consider you favorite occasional breakfast treat? I LOVE scones! I don’t eat them very often, but I am a big believer in all things in moderation. πŸ˜‰

1 Island Girl Eats July 14, 2009 at 8:27 am

A breakfast treat for would be a muffin. I don’t have them often, and when I do I cut them in half.

2 Meganerd July 14, 2009 at 8:31 am

Aaah! I should do the 30 day challenge too, since I’m not running right now. I did the first level yesterday for the first time! Yeah, I’m behind on the fad.. but I think its a great quick workout! What are you doing, like level 1 for 10 days, 2 for 10 days.. etc?

Pancakes are my breakfast treat!

3 Amy July 14, 2009 at 8:37 am

Ha, I just did the shred this morning for the first time in a couple months — because I realized I’ve had it from netflix for a long time! I’m thinking I should buy the dvd….

4 Tina July 14, 2009 at 8:42 am

I’ve been doing Jillian’s workout that are On-Demand and they are kicking my butt!

5 Derek July 14, 2009 at 8:47 am

this may be a dumb question…but what are butt kicks?

6 Amanda July 14, 2009 at 8:58 am

Ever since I got the 30 Day Shred for Christmas, I have been doing it 2-3 times a week to add some variety to my routine and stay toned. I totally love it, and my abs and arms are the best they’ve ever been! My trick is to lower Jillian’s volume and pump up some music now that I know the moves by heart!

A breakfast treat for me would definitely be a big muffin!

7 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) July 14, 2009 at 8:59 am

Every now and then, I like a nice fresh bagel from the bakery πŸ™‚ It’s easy to make them occasional if you just buy one and don’t buy a package to keep at home!

8 Erica July 14, 2009 at 9:01 am

Wow- that Cinnamon Walnut Scone looks awesome! I love the baked goods from WFs. I really want to pick up 30 day shred, I love Jillian and think I could probably use some more variety in my work outs.

9 Kathy (Moving Beyond Perfection) July 14, 2009 at 9:05 am

I also love scones! Especially chocolate chip ones. My other favorite breakfast treat is a chocolate muffin- the bigger the muffin top, the better πŸ™‚

10 Nicole July 14, 2009 at 9:12 am

I’d say my favorite breakfast treat is huge, sweet muffins!

11 HelpMeghanRun July 14, 2009 at 9:12 am

I *love* the 30 Day Shred! I do it every other day and have really seen results. I get to the point where I memorize the moves then turn on my own tunes. πŸ™‚

HelpMeghanRun.com

12 caronae July 14, 2009 at 9:25 am

Breakfast is my favorite meal, so I love breakfast treats! I like waffles with lots of stuff in them, or muffins/pastries! I like the 30 day shred too. I noticed you did all three levels together once, so I tried that this weekend — it was a CHALLENGE! Good luck with it, I’m sure you will have great results.

13 melruns July 14, 2009 at 9:29 am

A BRAN MUFFIN!! mmmmm

sometimes I treat myself to just the muffin top around 3pm if it’s that kinda day πŸ™‚

14 jessica July 14, 2009 at 9:47 am

Hmmm I might join you on your 30DS venture. I’ve had the DVD for months and haven’t followed it really as a plan, but I really need to work on my toning and strength.

15 Danielle July 14, 2009 at 10:03 am

My favorite breakfast treat would also be scones. The local coffee shop has delicious homeade cinnamon chip scones that are to die for (as well as amazing coffee).

16 Rose July 14, 2009 at 10:04 am

I agree with you on Scones! I sort of treat pancakes as a treat because I have this habit of wanting to eat a lot of them. Plus if I have time to make them – then I know that morning is a treat in and of itself.

Maybe I’ll join you on this Shred challenge?

17 Rona July 14, 2009 at 10:07 am

Hi Meghann
this is my first time commenting here on your blog whichI Iove. After reading so much about 30DS on various blogs, I bought it just last week and did level 1 for the first time last night! Feeling a leeetle stiff this morning but I really like her kick ass style. I am planning to follow to it 3x per week allowing time for running and cycling.
Occasional breakfast treat? French toast, maple syrup and good quality bacon.

18 allisonleigh July 14, 2009 at 10:07 am

I have been doing the Shred as well- do you find you get a little sick of her voice after ten days though??

Anyhow, I *heart* scones- after coming back from Ireland (which you know they have scones ALL. OVER. THE. PLACE.) I decided to try my hand at making my own “healthy” version- SUCCESSS! I made blueberry and fruit (raisins) and they are awesome!!! Have a great day Meghann!

19 brandi July 14, 2009 at 10:29 am

great challenge! I have that DVD but still haven’t tried it yet!

i love having pancakes/waffles for breakfast. It seems I don’t get to have REAL ones except on weekends since they take a while, so it’s always a treat πŸ™‚

20 Tyler July 14, 2009 at 10:31 am

that cinnamon walnut scone look really good! my favorite occasion breakfast treat would be french toast πŸ™‚

21 Meg July 14, 2009 at 10:33 am

You know I believe in moderation! Cinnamon rolls are a special breakfast treat for me!

Thanks for the blogoversary wishes! πŸ™‚

22 Matt July 14, 2009 at 10:42 am

I am going to have to go with REAL french toast. With challah bread and the whole nine yards. HEAVEN.

23 Mica July 14, 2009 at 10:47 am

Hm…I’m a big fan of biscuits…with butter and honey.

24 happygoluckyalex July 14, 2009 at 10:47 am

you show Jillian what you are made of, lady!!! she always leaves me hollering at the television set. hurts so good!

25 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) July 14, 2009 at 10:48 am

Mmm Whole Foods makes some awesome scones! I had a pumpkin scone once and dreamed about it for days. Delicious!

26 becca July 14, 2009 at 10:53 am

COOL! I am going to have to find that dvd series. I haven’t heard of it b4. Love your blog and your recipes. Glad I found u! πŸ™‚ Good luck–she is a beast isn’t she?!-ha!

27 Whit July 14, 2009 at 10:54 am

Mmmmm a scone! I want to get in on the Shred Challenge. I’m thinking I will start tonight!

28 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) July 14, 2009 at 11:02 am

I am on the Shred this week myself! It is a great standby.

I am with you on the scone treat! On the rare occasion that I get breakfast at Starbucks, I go straight for the cinnamon scone.

29 Anna July 14, 2009 at 11:06 am

Ok, that’s it- after hearing so much about this DVD, I’m ordering it today! I looking to increase the amount of weight training I do, and this will be a good way to keep me focused. We can compare biceps in Boston, haha.

30 Marisa July 14, 2009 at 11:10 am

How many lbs. do you all use for your hand weights for the 30 day Shred?

Jillian will be coming with me (in DVD form) on my beach week next week πŸ™‚

31 Sara July 14, 2009 at 11:47 am

Good luck with the Shred again! I’m going to have to try it. That scone looks fantastic. My favorite breakfast treat would be a biscuit or a scone. Yum!

32 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 14, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I LOVE Carrot Ginger Bran Muffins from Trader Joe’s!! I love carrot cake–so it’s my healthy breakfast indulgence. Your scone looks spectacular!

33 Courtney July 14, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Jillian is so much fun! Rock it, Meg!

-Courtney

34 Tay July 14, 2009 at 12:30 pm

That scone sounds delish! I’m a big sweets person for breakfast, so I often have french toast or waffles – with tons of sweet toppings! I’m a huge fan of a filling breakfast, so I don’t eat sweet treats too often (b/c I’m usually hungry so soon after!) But I guess the occasional cinnamon roll doesn’t hurt πŸ˜‰

35 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 14, 2009 at 12:32 pm

My favorite breakfast treat is waffles. I just LOVE them, but barely ever have them.

36 Christina July 14, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Waffles with maple syrup is my favorite breakfast treat! That scone looks delicious though!

37 Gloria July 14, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Mmm… pancakes for sure. I’ve been meaning to try out the Shred. Sometimes I get bored with my normal strength routine and need to switch it up! I’m glad to hear you got good results.

38 Juli D. July 14, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Hey – as a former tennis player who did a lot of running drills on the court, I thought I’d suggest something to spice up your suicides a bit.

The drill we used to complete went like this (your going along the lines of the court the whole time):

Start at the net along the outside (doubles) line. Run backwards to the baseline, shuffle to the singles line, sprint to the net, shuffle to midcourt, run backwards to baseline, shuffle to other singles line, sprint to net, shuffle to doubles line, run backwards and you’re done!

Also we did drills that are more like strides (important for runners). It was a mix of strides from baseline to net and back, repeated however many times. Skipping, high skipping, shuffle, bounding, high knee, butt kicks, etc.

39 Juli D. July 14, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Here’s another variation – upon reading my comment I realize maybe I was completely confusing!

40 Run Sarah July 14, 2009 at 2:52 pm

I love crepes for a breakfast treat, yum!

41 biz319 July 14, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Scones would be my go to as well – now you have motivated me – starting tomorrow I will repeat my 30 day shred! Still love Level 1 and 3, not a huge fan of level 2 for some reason! πŸ˜€

Thanks for the motivation Meghann!

42 Rebeca July 14, 2009 at 4:40 pm

I like croissants… not healthy, but that buttery, flakiness of a freshly made one is worth it every once in a while!

43 harri004 July 14, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Do you just do the DVD? I have the 30 day shred DVD and book, I’ve done level 1 a few times but haven’t really gotten into it. I’m interested what my outcome would be by doing the shred and following her recipes. IT’s hard to believe that 20 mins of her workout would really shed those last 10 pounds, esp when I’m in the gym for about 90 mins5 days a week! Maybe that’s why I haven’t lost those last few pounds of fat!

rachelsworkbites.com

44 Monica C. July 14, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I LOVE scones and muffins – the drier the texture, the better. I actually have a bran muffin for breakfast every day – unless I have a Fiber One bar.

45 papayafish July 14, 2009 at 8:23 pm

PANCAKES are definitely my occasional breakfast treat! I made some delicious whole wheat pumpkin ones this weekend, and they were so moist and delicious. And being on the healthier side for pancakes, I let myself use a little extra maple syrup : )

46 Meredith July 14, 2009 at 8:26 pm

I love scones also! Yum!
Good luck with the Shred Challenge this second time around πŸ™‚

47 Susan July 14, 2009 at 8:37 pm

I gotta try shredding, especially if it’s good enough to do twice!

My favourite breakfast treats are bagels and REAL maple syrup πŸ˜‰

48 loveprevails July 14, 2009 at 8:53 pm

totally agree that scones are a great treat, I usually go with blueberry ones. I actually had one today for the first time in probably a year or two!!
Loveprevails.wordpress.com

49 roseyrebecca July 16, 2009 at 6:08 pm

pancakes are definitely my weekend breakfast treat πŸ™‚