Not a Rainy Runner

by Meghann on July 10, 2009

It was a little depressing coming into work today knowing that just a week ago at this time I was gearing up to board a cruise ship to tropical paradise. I’m sure the gloomy gray skies and rain didn’t help much either. I should probably just be thankful its Friday and look forward to all the exciting adventures I have planned this weekend. 🙂

I know most runners thrive in the rain, but I am not a fan. With the rain I worry about my Ipod and Garmin burning out. I worry about getting blisters from my soggy wet shoes. I worry about how heavy the rain is going to make my clothes and where I am going to shed them once I’m back in my apartment. And I worry about all the extra sweat and raining going in my eyes as I try to concentrate on my run.

Basically I worry too much and the run does not become as much fun in the rain.

I prefer dry, clear mornings and when it’s raining I prefer nice, dry gym equipment.

To help stay dry I did a 25 minute hill interval work out on the elliptical and then 20 more minutes on the stationary bike. All while reading a chapter or two of Breaking Dawn. The ability to read on the equipment is just another perk of being inside on a rainy day.

When I was finished I did a 10 minute ab routine while throwing a toy for Abbie around the apartment. It’s funny how when ever I’m on the floor she sees it as instant play time. 🙂

My tropical breakfast added a touch of sunshine to the gloomy morning.

DSCN2328

• 2/3 cup Cinnamon Puffins
  • 2/3 cup Kashi Strawberry Fields
  • 1/8 cup Pecan Praline Granola
  • Mango
  • Blueberries
  • Strawberries
  • Oikos Plain Greek Yogurt

DSCN2329

With this breakfast, I officially used the last of my bag of Trader Joe’s Pecan Praline Granola that Heather had sent me way back in January. Talk about a long run! When something is good I like to stretch it out as long as possible and I think the fact I managed to stretch this bag of granola out for well over 6 months shows how good it is. 🙂

Alright, time to get back to work. Hopefully today goes quick because I am itching for the weekend!

1 Meg C. July 10, 2009 at 8:46 am

Don’t worry, you can go to Trader Joe’s when you come to Boston for the summit! There’s a small one on Bolyston St. and a big one in Brookline off the Green Line that also has alcohol. I know alll about the local Trader Joe’s locations haha

2 HelpMeghanRun July 10, 2009 at 8:58 am

Sorry it’s gloomy! I like nice, dry gym equipment, too. And I definitely think we should arrange a group field trip to Trader Joe’s during the Summit. 🙂 I don’t have one near me, either!

HelpMeghanRun.com

3 runandrejoice July 10, 2009 at 9:19 am

Bah I hate running in the rain too! There’s just really nothing enjoyable about it!

4 Whit July 10, 2009 at 9:23 am

I despise running in the rain! Glad to know I’m not the only one!

5 brandi July 10, 2009 at 9:48 am

i’m the same way with rain – if it’s just a drizzle, I don’t mind, but I really don’t want blisters.

i’m the same way! I made my small bag of trail mix from TJs last for MONTHS – mainly because we don’t have one here, so I had to stretch it out as long as possible 🙂

6 caronae July 10, 2009 at 9:49 am

I love running in the rain! I don’t use a garmin or iPod so I don’t have to worry about that. It just feels so refreshing. You’re right about taking off soppy, heavy clothes though — it always sucks!

7 Gina July 10, 2009 at 9:49 am

I never trained in the rain for my half marathon, so just my luck I had to run the last 7 miles in pouring rain! My Garmin survived, but after that, I have never been a fan of running in bad weather.

8 Hangry Pants July 10, 2009 at 9:51 am

LOL, we were just developing our mutual love for one another back then. 😀 Glad you liked it! I use my heart measuring spoons every day.

9 Amanda July 10, 2009 at 9:59 am

When I walk in the rain (and come home soaked), I put my clothes in the bathroom…I’ll hang my jacket and pants over the shower door so they can drip into the shower and not on the floor. Of course I am much happier and more comfortable to work out on dry days.

10 hopefulrunner July 10, 2009 at 10:20 am

Don’t feel bad, I am NOT a fan of running in the rain either. I live in WA so it rains 9 months out of the year and sometimes it snows in the winter…I dislike running in the snow even more. I have really been considering moving to Arizona just so I don’t have to run in the rain anymore. hehe

11 Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 10, 2009 at 10:25 am

It’s hit or miss with me for running in the rain — If I’m not too happy to be running to begin with, i HATE the rain. At least you got to refuel with a delicious breakfast!

Have a great day 😉

12 Danielle C. July 10, 2009 at 10:40 am

I really don’t like running in the rain either, and I live in Seattle. Needless to say I don’t do a lot of outdoor running October – April. I’m hoping to a good jacket and change that this year…

13 Mandy A July 10, 2009 at 10:52 am

I’m not a runner… but even if I was, I don’t think I’d like running in the rain! I’m such a diva in that way… haha

The Pecan Praline Granola is VERY good! My box definitely didn’t last as long as yours 🙂

14 nicole h July 10, 2009 at 10:55 am

at least you got some extra reading time! killing two birds in one stone is not a bad way to start the day!

15 Emily July 10, 2009 at 11:10 am

Ugh, I hate running in the rain (a light mist can be ok, on a warm day). Thankfully, it hardly ever rains here 🙂

Have a great Friday!!

16 Kailey July 10, 2009 at 11:15 am

Im not allowed to run by myself and my dad hates to run, therefore I have never been running in the rain, but I heard its never a great experience. I would be worried about my Ipod too!

17 Sarah July 10, 2009 at 11:23 am

i never like to run in the rain either.
your cruise looked awesome! so jealous.

18 Matt July 10, 2009 at 11:25 am

I like the rain as long as it isn’t pouring. A light mist is perfect!

19 leslie July 10, 2009 at 11:38 am

running in light rain can be refreshing when it’s once in a while. i definitely prefer clear skies and breeze too!

20 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 10, 2009 at 11:38 am

I’m not a rainy day runner, either. I can handle a little sprinkle, but not an all-out rain.

21 Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write July 10, 2009 at 11:40 am

I have been thinking about going on a cruise since you got back. I actually was going to look at prices last night. lol. I don’t rain run either. I worry about my ipod way too much.

22 prettyladycmu July 10, 2009 at 11:44 am

I enjoy running in the rain, but it’s certainly not my preferred weather. If it looks like it’s going to rain, I scrap my ipod, wear older shoes and (shamefully) already dirty gym clothes, and i wear a hat to keep the rain out of my eyes as much as possible.

Glad you could get some reading in, though! I’m about to start Eclipse and I can’t wait 🙂

23 Rose July 10, 2009 at 11:51 am

Wow -you made that granola last a long time! Kudos 🙂

24 Justy2003 July 10, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I HATE running in the rain. I did one time and ended up running the last half with one eye closed so that my contact didn’t float out of my eye! Definitely not a fan!

25 Melissa S. July 10, 2009 at 12:42 pm

I’m going home soon so if there’s tj’s stuff you need to stock up on…;)

26 April July 10, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Haha, I love running in the rain! I always get sweat-soaked in the FL humidity anyway… it’s better to get wet from rain than humidity! Looks like you had a blast on your cruise. So jealous!

27 Tay July 10, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Dang girl, your granola didn’t go stale at all? I don’t like running IN the rain, but I love running right after it’s rained – the air is fresh and crisp! But no wetness involved!

And I agree that running outside is so much better, but sometimes being able to read on a machine is awesome. One of the few perks to being injured and stair-mastering is the reading I’m getting done!

28 Niki July 10, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I don’t like running in the rain either! Sadie thinks it’s play time whenever I’m on the ground too. And when I don’t pay and proceed onto my workout she stands over me and gives me this look like “What are you doing?” Ha, it’s quite funny!

29 Kathy July 10, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I am the same way with the rain!! If I am already outside running, then I will continue the run, but if it’s raining before I start running, I definitely would not run outside! I’m soo paranoid about my ipod & garmin breaking!

30 roseyrebecca July 10, 2009 at 11:13 pm

I don’t think I’d like running in the rain either, though I’ve never tried it. I probably wouldn’t like the stickiness and I hate heavy, wet clothes. You have to right idea taking it inside to the gym. 🙂

Unlike most people, I love gym cardio machines!