Snack, Dinner, Dessert

by Meghann on July 9, 2009

This was my afternoon snack…

DSCN2320.JPG

I’m really not a fan of fruit flavored bars, but this one had been in my bar basket for a while and needed to be eaten. Surprisingly, it was not as sweet or fruity as I was expecting and the macadamia nuts were actually the dominant flavor. I enjoyed the macadamia crunch as they are my favorite nut, but even with that I’m not sure I would purchase this flavor again.

This was my dinner…

DSCN2321.JPG

A mix of Sweet Potato, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Tomato, Shrimp, Craisins, Raw Cashews, Garlic, Onion & Red Pepper Flakes that I sauteed on the stove top with a little olive oil until soft then added to some Kale I massaged with Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, and S&P.

DSCN2324.JPG

It was thrown together in less then 15 minutes and tasted wonderful. I especially loved the massaged kale salad! I can’t wait to have the left overs for lunch tomorrow. πŸ™‚

Finally, This was my dessert…

DSCN2325.JPG

Ice Cream was on my mind tonight. It’s a good thing I’m stocked for a while with Turtle Mountain Ice Cream Treats! πŸ™‚ I pulled out a Coconut Almond Ice Cream Bar and satisfied the craving in a very delicious way.

Has anyone caught the show Ruby on the style network?

As my DVR is currently thirsting for new shows, I decided to record a couple after reading the synopsis of the show.

Ruby is a documentary style reality television series on the Style Network that debuted in 2008 in the United States. It follows the life of Ruby Gettinger, a Savannah, Georgia, native who starts the show weighing more than 477 lbs, as she attempts to lose weight. Ruby works with nutritionists, doctors, and trainers to lose weight, all the while commenting honestly and often humorously about the experience. The show also deals with the every-day life issues a seriously overweight person can face, such as the difficulty in using airplane bathrooms. The show featured one one-hour episode and eight half-hour episodes.

It sounded like something that was right up my ally and after watching a couple of episodes I’m hooked.

Ruby is an inspiration as she documents her journey to weight loss. The first thing I noticed was how truly beautiful and joyful Ruby is. Her genuine smile simply radiates across the screen. I love how honest she is as she comments on society’s views of her and other obese women and take to heart as her struggles cause her to tear up.

I also enjoy her commitment to lose the weight the healthy way and not by going over the knife. In the span of the first season she was successfully able to shed well over 100 pounds. THought still considered morbidly obese you can see the accomplished confidence that runs through her with the beginning successes.

If you have not already seen an episode I would highly suggest catching one of the Style network next time you decide to play couch potato for the day/evening. πŸ™‚

1 Robbi July 9, 2009 at 8:45 pm

I absolutely love the show Ruby. She has the best spirit and the best attitude and no matter if she falls even the slightest bit she always picks herself back up (with a smile). She is so honest about it all and is one of those shows that really makes you say “if she can loose all that weight, five pounds is nothing”.

Just wanted to also say I love your blog! I am 19 and studying dietetics to become and RD so obviously I love all that has to do with healthy eating. It sounds funny to say I love seeing what you eat, but your so creative and its great to find new ways to eat what you love so thanks for all the creativity!

2 homecookedem July 9, 2009 at 8:51 pm

I’ve seen a few episodes and I love Ruby. Many morbidly obese people close themselves off from the world, but she still goes out and has awesome friends surrounding her. She has a great attitude and I hope she can find her way to a healthy weight.

3 HelpMeghanRun July 9, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Mmmm…that’s my type of “salad” with lots of fun toppings. I have to say I’ve never tried shrimp and sweet potato together before, glad to know it’s good!

HelpMeghanRun.com

4 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) July 9, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Man I wish I got the Style network! I used to love it when I had it in college. Ruby sounds like a great show (and she herself sounds like a fabulous inspiration).

5 Whit July 9, 2009 at 9:09 pm

I’ve never watched Ruby, but I’ve heard that it’s really good. I love the ice cream…mmmm.

6 happygoluckyalex July 9, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I just found the So Delicious coconut ice cream tonight in Canada and I had it for the first time and I loved it! Have you tried the mint chip one? I’d recommend it!
Ruby is awesome- I’ve seen it.

7 Matt July 9, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Sounds like an interesting show…

8 RunToFinish July 9, 2009 at 9:27 pm

i like that show too, I think she just has a beautiful attitude and is finally ready to embrace what it means to be healthy..her friends aren’t always on board but they try

9 Laura July 9, 2009 at 9:38 pm

I watched several episodes of Ruby and really, really like her! I think she’s gorgeous and she has such an adorable accent. It was interesting to see her going through therapy on the show. It’s so odd that she couldn’t remember huge parts of her childhood! I love that viewers are able to see that the issues obese people have go so much deeper than food.

10 Meredith July 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm

I love Ruby! It is one of my favorite shows. She is so motivating. If she can change her life then I can too.

11 Mandy A July 9, 2009 at 11:22 pm

i have been eyeing those ice cream bars at whole foods! I just can’t myself to pay $5 for them πŸ™ They look so yummy!

i wasn’t aware they started a new season of ruby! I didn’t catch on last season but really want to this time around! Thanks for the heads up! She seems like such an amazing lady!

12 roseyrebecca July 9, 2009 at 11:27 pm

I don’t really like fruity bars either. I love bars with a lot of crunch to them. I try really hard to like sweet fruity bars and it just doesn’t work! Macadamia nuts are really good though!!

13 Kathy July 9, 2009 at 11:42 pm

oooh how did you like that ice cream bar! I’ve wanted to try it for a while:) yum !

14 Bec July 10, 2009 at 12:26 am

I got hooked on watching ruby this spring!

15 broccolihut July 10, 2009 at 12:54 am

Ah man, I can;’t believe I missed the Ruby premiere! I love that show–she has such a great attitude.

16 starstruk July 10, 2009 at 6:25 am

When you say you massage greens, do you LITERALLY massage them or just make sure they are coated?

Thanks for explaining the hard candies and ginger chews. I’m a hard candy addict (Nips, preferably chocolate parfait), but I chew them…terrible for my aging teeth. I need to work on that.

17 Amy July 10, 2009 at 8:06 am

Hi Meghann!

I have a question about racing. I’m considering entering an ‘aquabike’ competition in mid-September (I can’t run due to a lack of knee cartilage), and was wondering if that would give me enough time to train or if I should wait until next year?

I bike daily and swim somewhat regularly but I didn’t know the typical ‘timeline’ for racers to start training for a race.

Thanks!
Amy

18 Ada July 10, 2009 at 8:21 am

That dinner looks great, you’re always so inventive and creative! I need to get me some of those ice cream bars ASAP, I tried the mini ice cream sandwiches and they were delicious:)

19 Heather July 10, 2009 at 10:31 am

I LOVE Ruby! I was super excited for the new season to start. It really takes me back to when I started & helps me remember the good, bad & ugly of the weight loss journey. Definitely keeps me on my toes & encouraged to keep living healthy!

20 Holly July 10, 2009 at 10:44 am

i love ruby too – she is such a sweet, down to earth gal. i’m really rootin for her!

mango macadamia bar – i NEED to find that!

21 Stacy ( Eating To Live Love Laugh Tri) July 10, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I have to say that I really just don’t care for Ruby. I have watched a few episodes and while I do think that she is adorable the show is just not for me.

22 crossbordercravings July 10, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I saw Ruby on the Today show this morning. I love her, she’s so positive given all the struggles she’s been through. I think if someone is capable of loosing hundreds of lbs., it makes any other weight loss goal seem very manageable!

23 Tay July 10, 2009 at 4:15 pm

That seems like an awesome show. I’ll be sure to check it out next time!!