Bikini Confidence

by Meghann on July 8, 2009

This morning’s work out is brought to you by the July issue of Self.

DSCN2277

Each month Self features great work outs that are always fun to mix up my routine with.

First up out of the mag was the 8 minutes to Slim basic training routine.

DSCN2278

The routine is quick and easy with each set only lasting a minute. Granted, a very intense non-stop minute that only moved on to another very intense minute for a total of 8.

I repeated the routine twice and felt like I had already worked up a sweat in that 16 minutes.

If you don’t have a copy of the issue, the routine can be found here.

Next up was the monthly strength card inserts.

DSCN2279

I do not have a stabilizing ball, but I managed to do 2 sets of the other moves that can be found online here.

I finished up my morning work out with a little core work and stretching.

Breakfast was my official return to cereal.

DSCN2276

In my bowl I had

• 1/2 cup Meghann’s Running Mix
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Cinnamon Harvest
  • 1/4 cup Praline Pecan Granola
  • 1/2 Peach
  • Blueberries
  • Oiko Plain Yogurt

It was actually the last of the Cinnamon harvest cereal so there was lots of crumbs of shredded week that blended amazingly with the yogurt. 🙂

DSCN2274

Bikini Confidence…

On Part I of my cruise posts Heather had left me a wonderful comment that got me thinking.

The comment read..

You have a level of bathing suit bravery that I am fairly certain I have not had since I was 10. You are awesome.

I immediately sent her an e-mail stating the bathing suit bravery has not always been there. In fact if you were to go back and look at photos from any other cruise I have taken you would be hard pressed to find any photos of me in a bikini.

However, this vacation I would say about 50% of the photos taken of me on the cruise were in fact of me in nothing, but a bikini and I was proud of it.

I know I don’t have what the majority of America would call the ‘world’s perfect body,’ but I have the perfect body for me. I have strong legs, sexy curves,  defined arms and a belly that jiggles. The last year I have worked hard for my body and when you work hard for something, you should not be ashamed of it.

Yes, I was brave for posting a picture of myself in a bikini for all of the world to see, but honestly I never thought twice about. My body has run a marathon, completed a triathalon and can hold a plank for a minute and a half, how many models in magazines can say that? I have a real body and I am not ashamed of it any longer.

Who is with me? Who is ready to generate that bikini confidence this summer? Stop hiding and start living! 🙂

1 HelpMeghanRun July 8, 2009 at 8:58 am

Love it, Meghann! 🙂 I need to find somewhere to rock my bikini this summer.

HelpMeghanRun.com

2 D July 8, 2009 at 8:59 am

I have to say that lady, you do have a rockin’ body. You look HEALTHY and should damn well be proud of it. You have a REAL body and something most models don’t have, that being a HEALTHY GLOW!!!

3 allijag July 8, 2009 at 9:03 am

love how realistic and down to earth you are! way to work that bikini – i plan on doing the same this summer! 🙂 (only prob with me – i’m pasty pasty white cuz I live in Cleveland – and THAT ain’t so purdy!) 😛

4 Therese July 8, 2009 at 9:05 am

Go girl!! You do have a rocking bod!! Besides I was so amazed when I read your treadmill workout on the cruise…4.5 miles at 7.0! I can barely run 2 miles at 7.0 and I have the legs to fit my 6′ tall body.

You should be so proud of how your body looks and what it can do!

5 Goldie July 8, 2009 at 9:05 am

I HEAR YA!

I have spent years… literally years… avoiding bikinis because i don’t feel i’m the ‘ideal’. Well, I don’t care anymore. I will forever be looking for an excuse not to wear one… wobbly belly, cellulite on my butt, saggy boobs… it stops here…

This summer I have been sporting a black and a polka dot string bikini… and I look hot… because I feel hot!

Get your bikinis on gals!

Great post Meghann!

6 Meredith July 8, 2009 at 9:06 am

I love your attitude. More ladies need to focus on what their body can do and not on what it looks like.

7 strivingforbalance July 8, 2009 at 9:24 am

thank you for this post today! I am going to the beach today and was fearing being in a bathing suit .. i just need some body confidence and this post made my morning better thanks

8 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) July 8, 2009 at 9:30 am

Love the confidence!! More people definitley need it!

9 leslie July 8, 2009 at 9:32 am

meghann, i love you. seriously. (ok, that might be a bit creepy coming from someone you’ve never met 🙂 )

but honestly, your attitude towards your body is SO inspiring. and you are right in every way. you take care of yourself, eat healthy foods that you enjoy, you’ve run a marathon, and you know that a universal idea of perfection doesn’t exist. being comfortable and happy with ourselves is the only type of perfection there is. i’m going to the beach this weekend and i am going to be thinking of your words – and taking photos with me in them!

10 Danielle J. July 8, 2009 at 9:37 am

You go girl! Your confidence in your body is inspiring and I totally agree that if it’s something that you’ve worked hard for you should be proud of it!

11 dailygoods July 8, 2009 at 9:41 am

you DID rock out your swimsuit and im so happy you did. you can tel how confident you feel and it just radiates! you have the perfect attitude that so many people strive for, and you are inspiring women all over the world to BRAVE THEIR BIKINIS and enjoy themselves!

12 Rose July 8, 2009 at 9:45 am

Love your positive attitude, Meghann! I’m still not there yet.. but I’m trying!

13 Niki July 8, 2009 at 9:45 am

Great post! I too have rocked my bikini this year and just posted a pic of me and my wakeboard on my blog and I am in nothing but my bikini too! I have never had this kind of confidence before but I have worked REALLY hard to get where I am and I am proud of it!

14 runnerskitchen July 8, 2009 at 9:46 am

i love this post! whenever i get down on the way my body looks, i try to concentrate on all the great things my body does for me. my strong arms carry heavy grocery bags on the subway, my legs have allowed me to run 26.2 miles, and my brain works super hard on busy work days. yay, bodies!

15 Whit July 8, 2009 at 9:47 am

Girl, you rocked that bikini! I don’t blame you for showing off that rockin’ bod. 😀

I haven’t posted pics on my blog, but I have a few on facebook of me in a bikini this year and I am totally proud. I have worked my (literally) a$$ off to get this body. I’m darn well gonna show it off!

16 Meredith July 8, 2009 at 9:55 am

I love that magazine! I just signed up for another year’s subscription. I like how they really focus on the whole self — physical, mental, and emotional.

17 Megan July 8, 2009 at 10:05 am

Good for you! I wish I had confidence like that! You look great 😀

18 smallchangesaddup July 8, 2009 at 10:06 am

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the photos – you look so confident and happy! I’m off on holiday tomorrow and will be wearing a bikini pretty much the whole time I’m away. It’s not going to be easy, but I’m going to try my hardest to take a leaf out of your book and wear it with confidence!

19 lowandbhold July 8, 2009 at 10:11 am

You really do have a body to be proud of. I’m still a little shy about posting pics online, but I’ve worn my bikini without shame several times this summer – which is more than I can say about myself in the past. It’s a slow progression, but I know I’ll get there!

20 prinny July 8, 2009 at 10:18 am

I’m with you! Bikini confidence should come from a healthy, strong body and not a borderline anorexic one!

21 Gina G July 8, 2009 at 10:23 am

your amazing meghann! =)

22 kristen July 8, 2009 at 10:25 am

Now I wish I had somewhere to wear a bikini so that I can embrace some bikini bravery. I honestly have no idea how I would feel about posting a picture of myself in a bikini for all to see. I’ll have to try mine on and see how I feel 🙂

I love your confidence!

23 verbalriot July 8, 2009 at 10:30 am

“My body has run a marathon, completed a triathalon and can hold a plank for a minute and a half, how many models in magazines can say that? I have a real body and I am not ashamed of it any longer.”

This should be up on a billboard somewhere 🙂 You’re awesome!

24 caitlin July 8, 2009 at 4:34 pm

or a really good operation beautiful note… just sayin.

25 Kiki July 8, 2009 at 10:30 am

your readers are right: U ARE AWESOME
bikini (and general confidence) are not built from having kate moss’s proportions; they come from within and you are such a trooper!

26 Meg July 8, 2009 at 10:32 am

I love the workouts in SELF magazine!

Yeah for bikini confidence!

27 Ally July 8, 2009 at 10:35 am

Amen sista!! I’m trying to get back to the bikini confidence I had when I was in college, but, we’re getting there! Today as I was getting ready for my run, I caught a glimpse of my legs in the mirror and I thought to myself “heck yeah! these bad boys have carried me on countless runs lately and powered my through a 16 mile run”–so, I may not be ready to don a bikini, thanks to my hips and belly, but, I am dang proud to flaunt my legs–something I haven’t said in at least 4 years!

28 brandi July 8, 2009 at 10:37 am

great reply – I have to admit that I don’t know if I would post a picture of myself on my blog for all to see, but my body confidence is definitely better than it was a few years ago. Running, working out, and cleaning up my eating has DEFINITELY helped with that and I’m proud of what my body can do.

29 peanutbutterprerogative July 8, 2009 at 10:59 am

you are SO right! i don’t think i’m there yet, but you’re an inspiration for me to get there! thanks meghann!

30 MarathonVal July 8, 2009 at 11:10 am

I, too, thought that you looked incredibly confident and happy in your cruise pictures! It must be so nice to have “beat” the system and to be one of the few American women that are completely happy with themselves and their body the way that they are. You are a fabulous role model!

31 Sarah July 8, 2009 at 11:11 am

What an amazing and positive attitude to have! That’s right–how many of this rail-thin models can do any of your physical accomplishments!

I was happy to see your “review” of the SELF workout; I’ve been meaning to try it.

32 Danielle July 8, 2009 at 11:25 am

You have a great attitude.
Love the workout I haven’t even opened that magazine yet, I can’t wait to give it a try.

33 Matt July 8, 2009 at 11:33 am

Too bad I don’t own a bikini… 🙂

I don’t have “the perfect body” either but I am not embarassed about it. I work my ass off everyday. I am much more confident than I was in high school though!

34 Susan July 8, 2009 at 11:35 am

I love this post, because after years of having what everyone told me was an “acceptable bikini body,” I finally broke down and wore my first one this past March. It was awesome. I can’t wait to do it again this summer! 🙂

35 Lena July 8, 2009 at 11:41 am

HELLS TO THE YES! Bring on the bikinis+BIKINI CONFIDENCE!!! Screw those Victoria’s Secret models who make all normal earthlings feel like Sh!t! We are STRONGER, BRAVER, BEAUTIFUL INSIDE AND OUT, and REAL!!!!!

36 Orla July 8, 2009 at 11:44 am

You should be proud of your body – we all should! Exercise really boosts my body confidence. This morning, the scale was up 2lbs on yesterday due to a Dominos overload – but I ran 4 miles and was so proud of my body for doing it, I couldn’t give a crap about the 2lbs that would have ruined my day before I exercised!

37 JB July 8, 2009 at 11:49 am

i loved reading that little section about your own personally bikini confidence. you’re so great, girl! your REAL body is amazing. i’m with you!

-JB

38 aron July 8, 2009 at 11:55 am

SUCH a great post meghann… I know I REALLY struggle with bikini confidence badly. I love your outlook on it and hope I can pull from that someday soon 🙂

39 Katherine July 8, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Just want to add that confidence and a smile while wearing a bathing suit no matter what SIZE or SHAPE goes a LONG way! Confidence screams beauty 🙂

40 Sarah July 8, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Love this post!!

The other night I was reading your cruise recaps and my boyfriend was reading over my shoulder for a minute and saw some of the pics of you in your bikini. He said “Hey, her body looks like yours. Hot!” We may not have the exact same body but it made me think of how great it is to see an example of someone with a fit and realistic body. Bodies are all different. We should be proud of the one we have and all the work that is put into keeping it healthy!

41 diana July 8, 2009 at 12:24 pm

You have great self confidence!

42 Kim July 8, 2009 at 12:30 pm

I copied and sent this post to my sister — like you, she’s a champion runner with strong, beautiful legs, but is self-conscious because they aren’t more “petite.” Your powerful message will hopefully help wake her up!

43 katie s July 8, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Love this, you go girl!!! You give me the boost to have some bikini body confidence. You are awesome, Meghann!!!

44 Emily July 8, 2009 at 12:51 pm

This is a fabulous post and you kind of made my day! Also, you did look wicked hot in all of your bikini pictures!!

45 Hangry Pants July 8, 2009 at 12:56 pm

😀

46 Meganerd July 8, 2009 at 1:02 pm

You have worked hard to earn that body!

I wish I had your confidence!

47 Haleigh July 8, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Your body confidence is a definite inspiration! Thank you Meghann!

48 Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write July 8, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I am completely with you. When I read your blog title, I was like OH NO GIRL – you already have a bikini body! Good to see this blog wasn’t dedicated to “getting” the body like I first thought. You’re such a beautiful woman, and most of that has to do with CONFIDENCE. That’s what makes a woman sexy. 🙂 Way to go.

49 Christy July 8, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I thought the same thing when I saw your bikini pics. I love that you are confident with your body. If someone who is in such great shape as yourself can’t be comfortable in your skin, then what hope is there for girls who aren’t as in such great shape? You are an awesome role model! Keep up the great work. 🙂

50 Britt July 8, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Just stumbled on your blog and love this post! It can be hard not to think of those “perfect” bikini models when you see yourself in one…. but like you whever I start to over analyze my body faults I think about all the amazing things my body has done! My legs aren’t super slim but they have trained for and completed 11 marathons, they have also run fast enough to qualify me for the Boston marathon 4 times. That is pretty awesome stuff. I love my legs just the way they are, especially when they have done so much for me!

51 Courtney July 8, 2009 at 1:12 pm

TRUUUUUE THAT!!

-Courtney

52 Stacy ( Eating To Live Love Laugh Tri) July 8, 2009 at 1:14 pm

I think your bikini pictures are great and not just because of the variety of cute bikinis you have! Way to celebrate a great body and a new level of confidence!

53 The Fit Collegiate July 8, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Hey Meghann! I’ve been a faithful reader of your blog for a few months now and just recently started a blog of my own, so I suppose it’s time to stop lurking in the shadows and say hi! I love this post; what a powerful message. I love the movement toward eliminating “fat talk” that seems to be occurring in the blogworld! Keep it up!

54 redheadyellowdog July 8, 2009 at 1:18 pm

awesome post! I’m with you 🙂 I also wanted to ask where you got your cute bikinis. I love the cut of the top! perfect for bustier gals when those little triangles just won’t do.

55 Sarah July 8, 2009 at 1:24 pm

LOVE IT! Meghann, we are strong and sexy even if we aren’t perfect. That’s part of the reason I give you so much green bikini love: because I admire and adore the flair!!!

56 Traci July 8, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Awesome attitude Meghann! you should be so proud of yourself! Your guy is a lucky man! Loved his guest blog by the way.

57 Lauren July 8, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Good for you! I love your post–keep up the confidence! 🙂 It is so important to remember how much your body has allowed you to accomplish; that makes it unique, powerful, and sexy.

58 runeatrepeat July 8, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Good for you! You look amazing and deserve to rock the bikini. I’m glad you’re spreading the confidence to your readers too 🙂

59 jesstyler July 8, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Got to your site from Healthy Tipping Point … and I have to agree with you, LOVE the body you’re in! I’m learning to love mine and you’ve just convinced me to go buy a new bikini for my vacation to my parents house next week. They live near the beach, so I’m hoping to get out there at least once! You ROCK!

60 Erin July 8, 2009 at 1:49 pm

You looked great in all of your pictures – enjoy your confidence, you have seriously earned it!
If you get a chance some day, could you elaborate on your speedwork routine? I’m just getting in to running and I’m hoping to improve some of my times on shorter runs.

61 Tara July 8, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I wanted to delurk and say “WOW!” You are really amazing, Meghann. This post is so inspiring. You are a smart, funny, beautiful (inside and out!) woman who is bringing such a positive message to women all over the world. Thank you for that!

62 jentrinque July 8, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Very cool! You know, yesterday I was at a water park and saw lots and lots of body types. I was rockin’ a regular old one piece, but i actually felt great, though I also don’t have the world’s perfect body. The ONE AND ONLY person I saw there that might have the world’s perfect body (an adult, I mean, lots of thin teens were around) was a woman who quite obviously had breast implants. So, hello, who wants to have surgery to be “perfect”? I’ll take my saggy boobs and cellulite, because my body is the one taking me on all the fun rides at the water park! I love it! Great post.

63 Melissa S. July 8, 2009 at 2:22 pm

you couldn’t have said it better meghann! yours and others bikini pictures was what allowed me to take and post mine as i have been with my fl keys posts!

rock’n my socks lady!

64 happygoluckyalex July 8, 2009 at 2:36 pm

you go girl! boom shaka laka laka!
I was just thinking the other day “hmm. haven’t had to wear a bathing suit yet this summer. Thank goodness.”
Um… what the he-haw is wrong with me? when I was younger, I would live in my bathing suit and eagerly anticipate pool and beach days! I need to get back to that, somehow.

65 Nally July 8, 2009 at 3:10 pm

and that is why I LOVE your blog you are so real!!!!!

66 Derek July 8, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Meghann’s bikini confidence is hot hot hot! 🙂

67 Holly July 8, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Aw…your Easter bunny is so sweet!

Meghann, you rock. Seriously. We could all learn from you! And you looked smokin’!

68 Meg July 8, 2009 at 4:31 pm

I love this post. Thank you so much! I can’t wait to go on vacation and show everyone that I adore my body, even if it’s extremely far from perfect, it does me well, and I respect it 🙂

Meg

69 Matt July 8, 2009 at 5:36 pm

When I wenr on a cruise, I ate so much food, but I lost weight. Just remember that on a cruise you should stay pretty active. We always took the stairs, I ran everyday, we walked around the ship all day, walked around the ports, ect… It is a vacation; don’t gorge yourself, but live a little. You have the whole year to eat healthy!

70 Tay July 8, 2009 at 6:25 pm

AWESOME post girl! It’s so true, and almost every other person out there is feeling self-conscious in their suits as well! It’s a hard thing to embrace, but girls everywhere just have to own their beautiful bodies and rock the swim suits!

71 Joelle (The Pancake Girl) July 8, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Absolutely well stated on the bikini confidence Meghann! i am so glad someone took the time to write that out finally… more girls need to think that way, and truly believe it!

72 roseyrebecca July 8, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Great message!

73 steph July 9, 2009 at 4:03 am

what an uplifting post!!!

74 Elina July 9, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Oh man, I wish I had your guts. I went to a pool party on the 4th of July and never took my dress off (even though I had a bathing suit under it). I even thought about it for a minute, went to the bathroom, looked in the mirror and decided against it. I hated that feeling. I wish I could be comfortable like you. I think my body and strong and I’m proud of what it can accomplish… but for some reason I can’t reveal it to even my friends, let alone the world 😕

75 loveprevails July 9, 2009 at 6:51 pm

cant even begin to tell you how powerful and strong you are for your confidence and encouragements to share that confidence with us! I love it!
I often look back at pictures I took in binknis and wish I was back to that size, but your right, then I may have had ‘the perfect body’ to some people, but that body was slowly killing me. Now, I have a healthy curvy body with a little jiggle and my boy loves it!
Loveprevails.wordpress.com

76 Stephanie July 10, 2009 at 8:33 am

I completely understand. I just recently bought a bikini for the first time in 6 years. Until know, I didn’t want to wear one because I was waiting to have the perfect body. Well, this year I decided that my body is perfect just the way it is and I need to start appreciating it, loving it, and showing it off no matter what anyone else says. I have worn my bikini quite a bit this summer and, you know what, the world hasn’t ended. No one has called me “fat” or told me to cover up. In fact, no one has even noticed one way or the other. I will never have a model body, but I do love the one that I have. Plus, it helps that my bikini is super cute. 🙂

77 bikini July 13, 2009 at 11:51 am

AWESOME post girl! It’s so true, and almost every other person out there is feeling self-conscious in their suits as well. I like this

78 deliciouswellness February 1, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Meghann, You are truly inspiring! I was reading through some of your favorite posts, and this is one of my favorites! Thanks for the encouraging words. You’re the best!

79 Rachel Morgan August 5, 2010 at 3:10 pm

LOL!!! Show it off. Girl 😀 I think ill definitely stick to 1 pieces now that I’ve had a 9lb 13oz bundle of love (and the stretch marks to prove it!!).

{ 11 trackbacks }