07-08-09

by Meghann on July 8, 2009

Did anyone realize today is 07-08-09? I have a thing with number patterns and when dates line up like that it makes me smile 🙂

I was trying to think of a cute way to make this a number themed post, but none of my segways are working so let’s just get to food this morning.

I will tell you that I had 15 Trader Joe Peanut Butter Pretzels for my mid-morning snack.

DSCN2281

I just could not find a way to bring 15 into the 07/08/09 combination. Maybe I should have gone with “if you add 07 + 08 then you get 15 which is…..”

Yeah I thought that was too far of a stretch too. 😉

I will spare you the corny number number theme I had going with my lunch. Let’s just say there were none. 😉

It was a good lunch though! I wanted vegetables and that’s what I went with.

DSCN2282

I had

• 1/2 Zucchini
  • 1/2 Yellow Squash
  • 1/2 small Tomato
  • Mozzarella
  • Grapes
  • Raddishes
  • Broccoli

I tossed the veggies with a light coating of EVOO, Balsamic Vinegar & S&P then topped them with a mix of Hummus and BBQ Sauce.

DSCN2283

It was mighty tasty!

For some crunch I had a few Blue Corn Tortilla Chips on the side.

DSCN2285

I wanted to Thank everyone for their wonderful comments on my Bikini Confidence post. It sounds like there are a lot of ladies out there who want to spread that confidence as well! Don’t forget to wear your bikinis with pride!

I also wanted to share Nancy’s comment she left on my my cruise posts as I felt it was a great question

do you think that you did the best job of staying "healthy" and keeping your portions (relatively) normal-sized on the cruise? OR do you think that it was easy to over-indulge? i’m going on a cruise soon and i dont want to end up with such mammoth portions, it must have been really hard, but you at least tried!

First of all I have discovered it’s IMPOSSIBLE to eat healthy all the time especially on cruises and vacation. I am a big believer in indulging in moderation and while the cruise was a struggle, looking back I feel very happy with my choices.

Trust me it is VERY easy to over indulge on a cruise ship with unlimited amounts of food and alcohol surrounding you. I think the key was staying away from the buffets as much as possible and not abiding by the mantra “But, I’m on vacation”

Since I stuck to the sit down options for breakfast and dinner I was able to control portion sizes. All the items I ordered were reasonably portioned compared to the buffets where I would have just kept piling it on. I’ll admit I did have two starters on two occasions, but they were light and worth it.

I also kept alcohol to a minimum. Not only is it pricey, but not worth it. I would much rather indulge on a great dessert then a sugary drink.  I tried to keep it to one glass of wine a night. The one time I did order a fun drink on the beach, it was too much and I ended up chucking half.

What have been your experiences with eating on cruises? Do you have any advice for Nancy?

Golden Ticket…

Did you miss out on your chance for a ticket to this year’s Healthy Living Summit? Well I am happy to report that you have another chance to be one of the lucky attendees and do a little good in the process.

Both Kath and Caitlin are auctioning off a Golden Ticket with proceeds going to the charity of their choice.  Head to Kath & Caitlin’s Blogs now for more details!!

1 runeatrepeat July 8, 2009 at 1:44 pm

My cruise advice…I’ve only been on one cruise and totally agree that it’s super easy to “over do it”. I would say indulge in moderation…you can’t get on the ship telling yourself you’re not going to have dessert at all or eat at the buffet. 1. Realize you are surrounded by delicious foods that you don’t always get to try. 2. Pick what sounds most tantalizing to your taste buds and enjoy!
3. Don’t visit the buffet just because it’s there, but if you’re hungry – Honor your hunger. 4. Stay active like Meghann did.

2 sam July 8, 2009 at 1:48 pm

check this out (nerd alert! haha) today around lunchtime it was 12:34.56 07/08/09!

3 brandi July 8, 2009 at 2:00 pm

that lunch looks great!

i agree about the cruises. It’s so easy to overindulge when there is food around every corner, all day long.

I think the best thing my family did when we went on ours was having sit down meals for most of them. I also checked out the entire bfast buffet before starting to make my plate and tried to take advantage of the great salad bars at lunch.

we also did a lot of walking, never taking the elevators, and other activities during the day, which helped.

I think indulging in things that you don’t normally have or can’t have at home is the way to go. I can always have mediocre cookies or soft serve, so I would save my indulgence for an awesome dessert with dinner instead, etc.

4 Whit July 8, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I totally agree with your vacation theory, sometimes you just have to treat yourself; but in moderation. 🙂

5 Colleen July 8, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Today’s my birthday, so this day is extra-special! 🙂

6 Betsy July 8, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I agree with Brandi…

I went on a cruise right after xmas and the best thing we did was skip the buffets! We got breakfast delivered to our room which we chose the night before, and then went to a sit down lunch (and of course sit down dinner). Avoiding the “trough” as we called it, was the best thing I think… too many options and temptations!

7 Danielle July 8, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I have the same thing with #’s as you, that’s why I picked 9-10-11 for my wedding date!
I went on a cruise years and years ago and I definitely over indulged I totally agree with sitting down for breakfast when possible instead of the buffet, and if you do the buffet take a nibble or 2 of anything that intersts you and try not to go back for more.

8 trinichiqn July 8, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I have a thing for numbers too, you could have gone the 6-7-8-9 route. 7+8+9=24. 2+4=6. Too long and complicated.

7 ate 9.

9 VeggieGirl July 8, 2009 at 2:16 pm

HA!! Too cool about the date 😀

10 rediscoveringlauren July 8, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Lunch looks great! and i noticed that number thing with the date today too 🙂

i wanted to say how much i really love your healthy mentality towards eating/excerise and what you said about how your body has carried you through a marathon and other races. its so inspirational to read :)I think we all need to get our bikinis out this summer and be proud of what weve got!!

11 Rose July 8, 2009 at 2:22 pm

My friends wanted to get married today at 12:34:56. Instead, they decided on August 8. 🙂

12 stacey July 8, 2009 at 2:37 pm

I love when I look at the clock and see that it is 12:34. It’s my favorite time! I also like 6:25, since my birthday is June 25th. I have typed the date a number of times today, but never noticed the fact that it is 07-08-09… I’ve been in a bit of a mental fog today! Great post this morning on Bikini Confidence.

13 Lauren July 8, 2009 at 2:43 pm

I don’t even know how I stumbled upon your blog, but I somehow did one day, and I have been hooked ever since! I love your food combinations, great attitude on life, and awesome photos. I have yet to comment, but couldn’t help myself when I saw your cruise photos–I was at that stingray beach only days before you! How small is this world?! My family stayed on the Carnival Glory. Those rays were certainly an interesting experience–although I kind of wish I had had time for a frozen concoction at Senor Frogs as well : ) Keep up the great attitude & lifestyle…you are truly inspiring.

14 Kim July 8, 2009 at 2:52 pm

To further elaborate on the numbers theme — in about ten minutes (I’m in Buenos Aires), it will be 04:05:06, 07/08/09. Apocalyp-tastic! 😉

15 Natalie M. July 8, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Ahhh but where were you at 12:34:56 on 7/8/09? lol

that is just too cool!

16 Mary July 8, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I just have to delurk because I love number patterns but I also think puns are hilarious- I’m such a geek!

As soon as you mentioned the date, I thought of this riddle/pun: Why is 7 such a scary number? Because seven ate (eight) nine!

I think it’s clever… 🙂 Don’t judge me too much hahhhahh

-Mary

P.S. I LOVE your blog and I am always impressed by the pride you have in yourself. You treat yourself well, what with balanced eats and exercise, and you appreciate your body. You are a great role model!

17 Sarah July 8, 2009 at 4:15 pm

haha, i love number patterns, too.

for nancy’s query: at my school, we had a buffet-style all-you-can eat cafeteria (and the food was actually good, so easy to overindulge!). i figure if there is something you REALLY want to eat, eat it. but mean it. and if that something isn’t floating your boat (no pun intended), throw it out. i liked your handle on the dessert bar, meghann, where you tasted 1/2 of each cookie and threw out 1/2. that way you get a taste of everything you want without going overboard.

18 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 8, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I think a lot of whether or not you can indulge on vacation also has to do with how much time you spend on vacation. If you’re going on 4 different week-long trips over the summer, that would be a whole month’s worth of indulging. If you’re only going on 1 5-day vacation, I think you’re a little more justified in indulging. That’s just my opinion, though, I’m not sure whether it’s really right or now.

19 Meganerd July 8, 2009 at 4:52 pm

It would have been even more awesome if you would have posted this at 12:34:56 on 07/08/09… then you would have 123456789… Yep, I’m a nerd. 😀

20 Carrie H July 8, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Since you said you like number patterns … This afternoon, it’ll be:

4:05:06 on 06-07-08!

He he.

I think it’s already happened on Eastern Time, but where I live, it’ll happen in an hour!

21 Carrie H July 8, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Oh, lots of other people already mentioned that! Ha!

🙂

22 Hallie July 8, 2009 at 5:21 pm

I love the idea of sit down ordering instead of hitting up the buffet and staying active. I’ve never been on the cruise and I’m not going to lie, one of the reasons I want to go on one so bad is BECAUSE of the food. I am bad with the “I’m on vacation” mentality, I need to work on that.

23 Bec July 8, 2009 at 5:24 pm

I completely agree you cant eat uber healthy all the time, but you can try your best and still enjoy yourself and not stress over food too much!

24 Danica July 8, 2009 at 5:35 pm

And to take your #’s to the next level at 4:56 PM it will be 4,5,6,7,8,9!!!

25 Erin July 8, 2009 at 6:01 pm

This is so nitpicky but I’ve noticed it twice and it’s driving me nuts! Segway = the lazy mobile that you ride on vs. segue = transition

26 Tay July 8, 2009 at 6:23 pm

I agree that I’d rather enjoy a dessert than endless alcohol calories! Those babies do rack up!

27 Ada July 8, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Woah I didn’t even realize today was 7.08.09, that’s totally crazy!

28 roseyrebecca July 8, 2009 at 11:46 pm

I realized it was 789 today too! I was wondering if anybody else did!!

My advice to Nancy is to indulge in moderation on vacations!

29 Katrina (gluten free gidget) July 9, 2009 at 7:23 am

BBQ Sauce and Hummus is such a great combo, weird but A-MAZING!
Most women, no matter their size, feel vulnerable in a bikini. I’m tiny, but it’s still a scary prospect being so “out there”. For me, it takes a few times wearing a bikini in public each year before I feel confident. It doesn’t help that both of my sisters are over 5’8″ super models in training and I’m the shrimpie 5’3″ kid in the family! 🙂

30 Jess July 9, 2009 at 9:58 am

I loved today’s date too! I’m always checking to see if they numbers mathematically make up another of the digits, etc. I’m glad I’m not the only nerd-0! haha.

31 loveprevails July 9, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Cruises and food are actually my biggest fear. I think that when i went which was over 7 years ago now, I didn’t think about food and weigh (I was going into the 8th grade i think). However, I am pretty sure that is where i put on the initial weight that started me onto the road that led to me thinking i should diet as the weight continued as I went into high school. I know that its not that one week vaca but alot of things hormones etc that changed my body but I cant help thinking that one instance is where things started to change. HOWEVER! going now I think i would know how to eat healthier and they have gyms to utilize and so much to keep you active that I think it could be a new experience that I could start over with, with a new memory (at some point!)
Loveprevails.wordpress.com