No More Ocean View

by Meghann on July 7, 2009

I have to admit running on a treadmill that an awesome view of the ocean was a fun way to wake up every morning on my cruise, but there is something about running on the streets as opposed to a treadmill that can never be topped.

I laced up my running shoes this morning as soon as the alarm beeped and hit the pavement for a glorious 4.5 mile run. The best part was how fast the run went. Running on treadmill always feels like forever, but running around the block feels like it takes no time at all.

After having muesli on the ship yesterday morning, I was inspired to make a homemade version for myself this morning.

DSCN2248

Last night I combined

• 1/2 cup Dry Multigrain Hot Cereal
  • 1/2 cup Oikos Plain Greek Yogurt
  • Dried Cranberries
  • Unsweetened Coconut
  • Crushed Walnuts

I put the pix in the fridge over night and then this morning I topped it with fresh strawberries, blueberries and 2 spoonfuls of Meg’s Tropical Jammin Granola.

DSCN2250

I was pleasantly surprised to return to work this morning to a relatively tame inbox. It feels like I have been gone forever, but in reality I only missed one real work day. I need to take advantage of vacations over holiday weekends more often!

I think my body knew it was back to routine because right on schedule it was ready for a snack at 10:00am.

DSCN2255

I dug in the bottom of my bar basket this morning discovered a Raspberry Chocolate Kashi Bar I had forgot was in there. It was a great sweet snack.

When I went shopping yesterday I basically just bought everything that looked appealing and had no game plan on what to have for meals the rest of the week. My lunch today was randomly thrown together when I walked in the door out.

DSCN2256

I found a single can of tuna fish hidden in my pantry so I made an easy tuna melt.

DSCN2259

On top of  a multi grain english muffin I piled on spinach, a mix of Tuna, Oikos Yogurt, Tomato, Jalapenos and Crasins, then a slice of cheese. I stuck it under the broiler until the cheese was melted.

On the side I had some blue corn tortilla chips with verde salsa, a little pickle and a handful of fresh cherries.

DSCN2257

You may see a lot of blue corn tortillas in the future. The bag is on the verge of going stale and I hate to waste food.

Now I can spend the rest of my afternoon trying to figure out dinner. Nothing makes the afternoon fly like piecing together future meals in your head. πŸ™‚

1 Whit July 7, 2009 at 3:32 pm

That tuna melt looks fabulous! I think I know what I shall have for lunch tomorrow!

2 brandi July 7, 2009 at 3:36 pm

i love having muesli waiting for me in the morning! the hardest thing is remembering to mix it up the night before!

3 runnerskitchen July 7, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I love blue tortilla chips! I like to pile mine up on a plate and top with cheddar cheese, sliced olives, salsa, and black beans. After about 30 seconds in the microwave, it’s ready to be devoured πŸ™‚

4 Amanda July 7, 2009 at 4:02 pm

I don’t like tuna, but your melt looks delicious! Brainstorming for dinner is always a great way to get through an afternoon.

5 lowandbhold July 7, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Your run does indeed sound glorious!

I totally do that! Today I’ve been brainstorming my grocery shopping strategy for tonight also, so it’s been flying by!

6 Ada July 7, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Using Greek yogurt to replace the mayonnaise in your tuna melt was such a good idea! I absolutely detest mayonnaise so I am always looking for substitutions. Usually I just use hummus but now I am definitely going to try the Greek yogurt!

7 smallchangesaddup July 7, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Hehe I love planning meals when I’m at work – and on the drive home. Your lunches always look so excitng!

8 biz319 July 7, 2009 at 4:50 pm

I wished I liked tuna – your melt looks amazing!

Glad you weren’t too overburdened back at work! πŸ˜€

9 Nancy July 7, 2009 at 4:52 pm

do you think that you did the best job of staying “healthy” and keeping your portions (relatively) normal-sized on the cruise? OR do you think that it was easy to over-indulge? i’m going on a cruise soon and i dont want to end up with such mammoth portions, it must have been really hard, but you at least tried!

10 Mandy A July 7, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I’m not a runner… but the times I do run – I can not STAND the though of being on a treadmill. That will keep me FAR from running!

I was thinking of doing tuna today for lunch and then changed my mind at the last minute… I did the blue corn chips myself, too! πŸ™‚ I have to get rid of the bag… so there are plenty of yummy chips lunches in my future!

Always love your meal ideas!

11 Courtney July 7, 2009 at 5:37 pm

So true- I can’t stand treadmills! Random question- what kind of english muffins do you use? They always look so thick and yummy. =)

12 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) July 7, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Tuna melts are always so satisfying for me! I love them, will have to try with jalapeno’s next time!

13 Courtney July 7, 2009 at 6:15 pm

I love your tuna melt! YUMMM! I am going to try crans in mine πŸ™‚ Haha, I love that you don’t let a thing go to waste. πŸ™‚

I was wondering if you had any problems with cars, more importantly, almost being run over by cars … Its like every time I hit the road these days, I am amazed how how stupid cars are!

-Courtney

14 doublescoop3 July 7, 2009 at 6:55 pm

I absolutely LOVE tuna melts but haven’t had them in a while because I found a yucky yuck bone in my canned tuna last time I had one πŸ™ It completely turned me away from tuna for a while. Perhaps it’s time to give it a second go?!

15 strivingforbalance July 7, 2009 at 7:33 pm

can you really taste the yogurt flavor when you mix it with the tuna?

16 Trish (girlatgym) July 7, 2009 at 8:48 pm

How have I never thought to melt cheese on tuna?!?! I like that idea. Can’t believe I’ve never had it! πŸ™‚

17 Ashley @ On The Rocks July 7, 2009 at 8:54 pm

what a great looking tuna melt. i would have never of thought of putting crasins in one!

18 Lauren July 7, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Okay, I have the funniest story for you. We took a cruise for our honeymoon, and I would run on those tradmills overlooking the ocean every morning. Well one morning,the ship hit a bump in the water, and I went flying! Needless to say, I pulled my glute muscle but my wonderful husband decided to tell everyone that he was the cause of this bottom injury. πŸ˜‰

So glad you had a wonderful trip darling. Good luck at getting back into the real world, ugh, drag, but at least you are nice and realxed and refreshed to take it all on!

19 Matt July 7, 2009 at 9:17 pm

I agree that the roads can never be topped. I would rather run here than on a treadmill in Hawaii… However I would rather go to Hawaii then be here!

20 roseyrebecca July 7, 2009 at 9:33 pm

All of your food looks so good!! I need to try Muesli! And the tuna melt looks amazing! Mmm. Your posts always make me hungry!

21 MarathonVal July 7, 2009 at 9:36 pm

That’s such a creative idea to use Greek yogurt instead of mayo! And it adds lots of protein too which (as a vegetarian) I appreciate πŸ™‚

22 Sarah July 7, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Your lunch looks like ooey-gooey goodness–and I don’t even like fish!

23 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) July 7, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Tuna melts are the best!

24 April July 10, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I had the worst time on the treadmill yesterday… it was my 3.5 day and i could only get out 1.5 on the treadmill. Then I was worried, maybe too tired? I got on the track and ran the other 2, no problem. Something about treadmills…