Good Bye Cruise!

by Meghann on July 7, 2009

As with all good things in life, our cruise came to an end on Monday morning.

We slept in until 7:30am then hit the breakfast buffet for the first time before we left the ship. I usually prefer the sit down breakfast options on the cruise, but Derek loves piling it on with the buffets, so I let him have his last hurrah with breakfast.

The reason why I don’t prefer the breakfast buffet is because I always have a hard time controlling myself with breakfast items. I love breakfast so much that when I have all the options in front of me I want to load my plate up with a bite of everything.

I tried to keep it conservative by going heavy on the fresh fruit which I covered in plain yogurt, almonds, & raisins. Then just a bite of the waffle, pancakes, scrambled eggs, piece of bacon and grilled tomato that also found its way on my plate.

DSCN2220

There was a Muesli station as well, that I had to have just a small bowl of.

DSCN2221

The Muesli was pretty thin so I added oats, almond slivers and raisins to bulk it up. It was surprisingly tasty and I’m glad I went back for it.

We had time to kill before our color tag was called so we enjoyed the pool deck one last time.

DSCN2225

Derek was very happy to regain use of his Iphone again.

DSCN2223

He immediately checked all the comments everyone left on his guest post. haha

Then sadly it was time to say good bye to our ship.

DSCN2231

And good bye to our tiny room.

DSCN2232

Farewell Monarch of the Seas! We had a blast!!

DSCN2233

My Aunt and Uncle were awesome to pick us up from the ship and we made it to my parents before 10:00am. I then picked Abbie up and headed back to my apartment in Orlando. Having the cruise port so close was more then convenient on making it home in a timely matter.

Once I made home I did what I could with the contents of my fridge and made an amazing lunch to help get back on my my normal eating track.

DSCN2234

I made an Almond Butter, Spinach & Carrot quesadilla that I dipped in applesauce.

DSCN2236

Try it… You’ll like it! 😉

I also had a few Blue Corn Tortilla Chips with Verde Salsa.

DSCN2235

I spent the majority of the day uploading photos and writing my cruise recap posts (check out Part I, Part II, & Part III) I also managed a long overdue trip to Publix. My fridge is now fully stocked again with fresh fruit and veggies for the week! 🙂

The stocked fridge made putting together a well- rounded, creative dinner much easier.

DSCN2240

This soup was incredibly easy to throw together and so tasty in the end!

I simply steamed 1/2 a sweet potato & onion until it was soft. I then covered the combo with 1.5 cups of this Coconut Curry Broth I discovered.

DSCN2239

The broth was a little spicy, but very good.

To finish the soup off I dumped in 1/4 cup of whole wheat couscous, a bunch of kale, raisins and 6 chopped shrimp. I brought it to a boil and then served with a dollop of Oikos Plain Yogurt and shredded coconut.

DSCN2241

Every flavor in this dish worked very well together. It felt so great to be back in the kitchen, cooking up my own food. Cruises are fun, but its nice to go back to normal.

For dessert I had a small bowl of very sweet cherries.

DSCN2246

You can not beat how great the cherries are right now. So sweet
and so good!

I loved having the extra day to myself before the hustle and bustle of work week started again. Sometimes you just need a vacation from your vacation to recuperate. 🙂

1 smallchangesaddup July 7, 2009 at 9:03 am

It sounds like you had such a blast, I’d love to live so near a cruise port! I’m the same with buffets, I think it’s all the choice – I feel like I have to have a bit of everything!

2 Whit July 7, 2009 at 9:06 am

I love your combos. I would never have dreamed up either of those meals. SO bossy!

3 Quinn July 7, 2009 at 9:12 am

I know what you mean – the vacation after the vacation – you need more time to readjust to “normal” life. Sounds like you had so much fun!

4 tami July 7, 2009 at 9:13 am

we just got back from a 15 day road trip, we went cherry picking in Amish Country and they were so yummy right off the tree

5 VeggieGirl July 7, 2009 at 9:33 am

Love that quesadilla combination!

6 Meg July 7, 2009 at 9:35 am

Glad you had a wonderful time on your cruise! Looks amazing.

Love the quesadilla creation!

7 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 7, 2009 at 9:54 am

Glad you had a great trip. It looked like lots of fun!

8 brandi July 7, 2009 at 10:05 am

isn’t it nice coming back and making your own meal? I love that feeling after a vacation 🙂

looks like you guys had a great time!

Dresses with pockets are my new favorite thing. I love them and have like 5 now.

9 elise July 7, 2009 at 10:14 am

so sad that it had to come to an end 🙁

10 Aggie July 7, 2009 at 10:19 am

Hi Meghann!! I have enjoyed reading all of your cruise posts! How fun!!

11 Sara July 7, 2009 at 10:25 am

Your cruise sounded great! Glad you had a good time. That quesadilla looks delish.

12 Katrina (gluten free gidget) July 7, 2009 at 10:38 am

Your dinner sounds A-MAZING! Love me some curry, sweet potatoes, kale, and shrimpies! However, I am frightened by your lunch choice! You got too much sun this weekend! hahahaha

13 Simone July 7, 2009 at 10:44 am

WOW, sounds like you had an awesome cruise vacation! I am definitely one of those people who needs a vacation from vacation. Sometimes a girl just needs a little time to get herself together again. Oh, and ur lunch, so creative…2 thumbs up!

ps: decided to enter the food blog world myself and ur on my blogroll 🙂

14 Naners July 7, 2009 at 11:02 am

Just wondering which cruise (and cruise line) has been your favorite so far?

Glad you had a fun trip!!

15 Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write July 7, 2009 at 11:34 am

lol. I loved all your cruise posts. It was so fun to read. Thanks for sharing!

Your lunch looks like something I would eat. And, do you not love that chicken stock? There’s also a white wine version that’s delish!

16 Derek July 7, 2009 at 11:34 am

hmm, I’m confused. I thought you didn’t like cherries??

17 JB July 7, 2009 at 1:21 pm

breakfast is by far the best meal of the day! but your AB-spinach-carrot quesadilla dipped in apple sauce sounds so interesting (in a really good way.) i’ll definitely be trying that as soon as i buy a new jar of almond butter (since i finished mine this morning!)

i’m happy you had so much fun on the cruise! all fun comes to an end at some point, though. i feel the same way you do about coming back home after a trip. vacations are always great, but being home again and getting back to normal always feels really, really nice.

-JB

18 runeatrepeat July 7, 2009 at 1:21 pm

I lalalove cherries!

19 Stacy ( Eating To Live Love Laugh Tri) July 7, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I am in complete agreement on needing a day to recover from vacation. I always schedule a day off after any trip so I can unpack and do laundry and just get back into the flow of life. So glad that you had such a wonderful time!

20 Courtney July 7, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Awww, his guest post was pretty cute! 😀

I will have to try dipping that in applesauce, sounds scrumpty!

-Court

21 Meganerd July 7, 2009 at 2:18 pm

You always think of awesome sounding food combos!

I would never thinking of dipping a quesadilla in applesauce, or putting spinach, carrots, and almond butter together for that matter.

So creative! love it!

22 Emily July 7, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I’m lovin cherries right now! MMmmmm! 🙂

Glad you had a great trip!!

23 Jess July 8, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Hey Meghann I just started reading your blog (found you through Caitlin). My friends and I took a very similar cruise last year and I loved it. We had a stop in Key West too, but Coco Cay was my favorite place! I’m glad you had a good time! I loved your green bikini it was so cute and I think it’s awesome that you feel confident enough to wear it after all your hard work!