more ยป" />

Bahamas Cruise: Part III

by Meghann on July 6, 2009

Day 3 – Coco Cay, Bahamas

Despite the mild wine hang over I woke up to on Sunday morning, I was more than ready to jump out of bed at 6:45 and head to the on board fitness center.

I happily ran 4 miles at the 7.0 setting while Derek ran on the treadmill beside me.

DSCN2104.JPG

There was no wait for a treadmill today. It was actually quite amusing the contrast of how many people were in the gym compared to the day before. I guess everybody already went ahead and gave up on staying fit on vacation. ๐Ÿ™‚

After my run I did a 10 minute core session and stretched. We then headed to the sit down breakfast option again where this time we were sat with a lovely family complete with grandparents, parents and 2 adorable little girls.

When the pastry basket came by I could not resist a cinnamon swirl one.

DSCN2106.JPG

This was beyond good. ๐Ÿ™‚

For breakfast I went with the build your own omlette selection.

DSCN2108.JPG

I asked for an egg white omlette with smoked salmon, herbs, mushrooms, tomato and onions. I was intriqued by the smoked salmon option on the menu and thought it would be fun to try. I was surprised with the lack of fishy taste in the omlette, but still thought it was good.

On the side I ordered a plate of fresh fruit.

DSCN2107.JPG

While we were running on the track, Derek and I watched the ship pull up to Coco Cay, so after breakfast we headed straight off the ship. We boarded a tender the took us to the tiny Island.

DSCN2114.JPG

Welcome to Coco Cay!

DSCN2117.JPG

We lucked out with a beautiful sunny sky, but as soon as we stepped off the ship I knew I needed a hat. I managed to pick up this nifty one a ridiculous price in the straw market.

DSCN2120.JPG

The hat came in handy when I settled into my chair with the Cullen family.

DSCN2124.JPG

I quickly discovered it was much too hot to spend too much time on the chairs. My time was much better spent in the water. ๐Ÿ™‚

DSCN2137.JPG

Coco Cay was absolutely gorgeous with white sandy beaches and crystal clear skies.

DSCN2126.JPG

We even made friends with a starfish.

DSCN2138.JPG

DSCN2140.JPG

As the Island is privately owned by Royal Carribbean it was very convienent to have our lunch served on shore at noon by the ship’s staff.

DSCN2142.JPG

DSCN2143.JPG

I have to say the atmosphere just screamed hamburgers, so I had one lovely burger with some fruit and assorted salads.

DSCN2144.JPG

They also had fresh melon which was perfect for dessert with a piece of bran cake.

DSCN2145.JPG

After lunch Derek and I took a siesta on a hammock we found.

DSCN2149.JPG

I would like to point out this is the third day in a row I have passed out in the sun. Vacations rock!

We had a nice relaxing hour nap until a very rude couple walked by and yelled that the ship was leaving. Not cool people, not cool.

To keep with the spirit of tropical vacationing I was really craving a frozen tropical drink. Derek and I each ordered the Coco Loco which was the drink of the day.

DSCN2153.JPG DSCN2154.JPG

I ordered mine sans alcohol as I really did not see the point to it with the hot afternoon sun beating down.

They tasted yummy, but about halfway through our drink Derek and I were each trying to pawn the rest off on the other one. What sounded like a good idea at the time was starting to give us a tummy ache. Next time we know to just share the ‘fun’ drinks. We ended up each chucking the last half, but at least I ended up with a nifty cup out of it. ๐Ÿ™‚

DSCN2155.JPG

After 6 hours of sun and almost depleting our supply of sunscreen, Derek and I were done with the beach. We boarded the tender and headed back to the ship.

Can you tell who was worst off?

DSCN2157.JPG

Let’s just say Derek got a wee bit red in the sun this trip. Poor boy reapplied the sunscreen twice as much as I did and still became a lobster.

Back on the ship I snacked on 1/2 of this box of mini wheats.

DSCN2168.JPG

The Monarch of the Seas is the first cruise ship I have been on that came complete with a Rock Clmbing wall on board. I had been dying to try it since day one, but when we tried to climb the day before the wall was wet and unclimbable. We lucked out with dry weather all day and attempt #2 that afternoon was a success.

DSCN2180.JPG

Rock climbing is a lot harder then it looks! I got stuck half way through but managed to finish strong!

DSCN2174.JPG

Talk about one hell of a strength workout!

DSCN2177.JPG

Derek kicked booty making his way to the top as well.

DSCN2188.JPG

After the climb we were both pretty hungry and managed to find his and her afternoon snacks.

I found an apple and plain yogurt.

DSCN2194.JPG

Which I mixed into this.

DSCN2195.JPG

Derek found pizza.

DSCN2196.JPG

I couldn’t resist a bite of pizza too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Getting ready for our last night on the ship Derek and I had a little modeling session in the bathroom mirror.

DSCN2198.JPG

And can I just point out that each night I was ready for the evening much before Derek was. What was up with that?!?! ๐Ÿ˜‰

We hit up the Vegas style show before dinner and I have to confess the shows on Carnival I’ve seen have been better (sorry RC!)

After the show they brought out the majority of the entertainment staff of the ship onto the tiny stage.

DSCN2202.JPG

Must me cool to work on a cruise ship.

Dinner for the evening was bittersweet. Everything was coming to an ending much too quickly!

To toast the end of vacation our tablemates ordered a bottle of Riesling to share. I had a small glass, but am honestly not a big fan of sweet wine.

DSCN2211.JPG

I was STARVING when we sat down so I happily gobbled up two pieces of the poppyseed bread before they even took our orders.

DSCN2207.JPG

I think the hunger was still in my head as I happily ordered two appetizers to start my meal with.

DSCN2206.JPG

The caprese salad was refreshing and light.

DSCN2213.JPG

The Anti Pasti platter was great as well. I loved the roasted garlic addition and ate the pieces whole. I’m sure I had lovely breath the rest of the evening. ๐Ÿ˜‰

DSCN2210.JPG

For the main course I was excited to see Indian on the menu and happily ordered the Kaju Paneer Dansak.

DSCN2203.JPG

Our waiter was actually being a little weird when I ordered it and tried to suggest something else. He didn’t think I would like it, but I stuck with my guns and ordered it anyways.

DSCN2215.JPG

I’m not sure why he didn’t think I would like, because I thought the dish was pretty good. It could have been a bit spicier, but besides that it was great. He was Indian, so maybe he just did not think it was good as the food from India. Oh well, I liked the watered down American adaptation of the dish.

When it came time for dessert I knew right away I wanted the Angel Pound Cake with Strawberries and Ice Cream.

DSCN2217.JPG

It was a make shift strawberry shortcake. Yummy!

For the first time the entire cruise Derek and I decided to hit up the casino after dinner. I’m not a big gambler, but I knew Derek was itching to burn some cash.

DSCN2219.JPG

We met up with the Charlotte couple and the boyfriend attempted to teach Derek how to logistically play Roulette.

Less then an hour and $60 later we discovered Roulette is NOT Derek’s game. Oh well. It was still fun to watch them play. ๐Ÿ™‚

After that we had to finish packing our luggage and set it out for our departure.

It was a great 3 night cruise and the perfect long weekend get away. I can’t believe it’s all over! We just had too much fun! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Heather July 6, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Love your dress! Looks like you guys had so much fun!

2 carolinebee July 6, 2009 at 9:39 pm

amazing trip!!! I totally went on the Monarch of the Seas- only the Long Beach to Rosarito trip ๐Ÿ˜€ 3 days is perrrrfect, right when you get to day 3 you’re like, pretty much ready to return to Greek yogurt, almond butter and land right!?? Your hair looks fab too!!

3 Meganerd July 6, 2009 at 9:43 pm

I read all your cruise posts, and saw your fb photos! Looks like you had a blast! you made me want to go on a cruise now!

I think you and your sister have the same dress! LOL. It’s cute though! ๐Ÿ˜€

4 Kelly July 6, 2009 at 9:46 pm

I didn’t realize you have that dress too! Lol. I totally bought it because it was marked way down! I’ve seen all your pics and it looks like you had a great time. I love the picture of a picture from facebook. Copier!

5 Kelly July 6, 2009 at 9:47 pm

PS And love the modeling pics in the cabin…who does that?! pshhh weirdos.

6 Casey @ Double Scooped July 6, 2009 at 9:50 pm

sooooo jealouss ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Laura July 6, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Fun! ๐Ÿ™‚ Good job on the rock climbing wall! I won $600 on the Monarch of the Seas. I have fond memories of the casino!

8 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) July 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Wow, I really want to go on a cruise now!!! You prove that you don’t have to come back 10 lbs heavier and I’m so impressed that you worked out so much too! Good for you!

9 Kristin July 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Awww – I’ve been to Coco Cay on a Royal Caribbean cruise – memories!!

10 Whit July 6, 2009 at 10:17 pm

OMG, your cruise looks super fun! You and Derek are the cutest couple! I love your dress + the photos of you cheesin’!

11 Courtney July 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm

I’m so happy you had a good time! That’s great to hear ๐Ÿ™‚ Short, sweet yet amazing! Your last dessert there looks uhmazing.

-Courtney

12 caronae July 6, 2009 at 11:08 pm

I’m glad you had such a fun trip! Rock climbing is totally a great workout, and that starfish is awesome!

13 roseyrebecca July 6, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I think that if I could run on a treadmill that looked out over the water, I’d run forever. All the food looks so yummy ๐Ÿ™‚

14 Hangry Pants July 6, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Mark is always slower getting pretty than me. It’s our natural beauty, dear.

15 Emily July 6, 2009 at 11:20 pm

What a fantabulous looking vacation! I’ve never been on a cruise but your descriptions are making me very curioius.

16 Katrina (gluten free gidget) July 7, 2009 at 12:08 am

That looks like a great time! The best part about a cruise, in my opinion, is getting to dress up for dinner every night!

17 Kathy July 7, 2009 at 12:11 am

Omg, your cruise looks so wonderful!!! Enjoy- you deserve a nice break ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve been reading your blog for a while now, but never really commented due to time constraints! still love the blog though, and always have! ps you and derek look so cute in that modeling sesh photo!

18 MarathonVal July 7, 2009 at 12:57 am

What fun! Rock climbing I’ve found is soo much harder than it looks, but what a great upper (and lower!) body workout!!

19 amanda July 7, 2009 at 12:57 am

I love all the cruise posts! It looks like you guys had such a great time, and holy cow at the amazing food!

20 Lauren July 7, 2009 at 7:13 am

Oww Oww! You two are smokin hot! ๐Ÿ™‚

I am so glad to hear that you guys had such a nice relaxing cruise. I loved seeing all the pics and recaps and I’m sure it was just splendid to get away in paradise for a few days.

Hope you have a safe and peaceful trip back home.

Take care girl!

21 Amanda July 7, 2009 at 7:43 am

I agree with your observation about fitness center on day #1 vs. the rest of the trip. Same thing happened to me on my 7-day cruise in December. On the first morning, I had to wait for a treadmill. Except for the day at sea, there were only a few diehards every morning. I guess other guests were sleeping off hangovers and midnight buffet food comas.

22 leslie July 7, 2009 at 8:18 am

your cruise looks like a blast. so many fun things! i’m glad you had a great getaway. ๐Ÿ™‚

23 inmytummy July 7, 2009 at 8:22 am

I went on a RC cruise last summer and the climbing wall was so hard! I could only get halfway up too.

24 stephanie p July 7, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Love your blog and glad you had fun! But in all fairness, just because people weren’t working out doesn’t mean they gave up being fit for the remainder of the cruise…

25 ALD July 7, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Your dresses were adorable – and the haircut looked great!
You both looked fabulous – looks like the trip was a blast!

26 Amandaa July 7, 2009 at 4:07 pm

i ADORE all of your beachy pictures.

27 Nicole July 7, 2009 at 4:35 pm

You guys seem tohave had such a fabulous trip! I am itching to go on vacation!

28 Susan July 7, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Another perk of living in Florida – taking weekend cruises! That’s awesome. Even in the summertime, I think our cruises would take us to icebergs ๐Ÿ˜›

29 Sarah July 7, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Ha, I LOVE the “modeling pic” of you and Derek in the mirror. You are lookin good!

30 Kath July 7, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I’ve been to Coco Cay too!!!! And that stingray beach from Nassau – both cruises!