Movie Night with the Sis

by Meghann on July 2, 2009

Last night I felt very comfortable in my role as an old woman.

I met my sister for a 7:20 movie and by the time I got home after 10:00 it was past my bedtime and the only thing I wanted to do was sleep. I will never understand how I used to stay up to midnight the nights before work. Now, if it’s past 10:00 and I have not accomplished all I wanted to do for the day then oh well. Sleep is much more important. Hence why I went MIA on the blog last night. Did you miss me?

Before I went MIA I did enjoy a HUGE Apple for my mid-afternoon snack.

DSCN1823

I am learning these apples are way to big for on serving. I always try to eat them all, but all the fiber gives me a little tummy ache at the end. I should eat half and save half. I need to remember that for next time.

After work I drove across town to meet my sister for dinner before the movie. Even though I had just ate at TooJays this past Saturday, I could not stop thinking about all the wonderful light options on their menu, and highly recommended that we eat there.

DSCN1824

This time around I ordered the Mediterranean Health Trio.

DSCN1826

The plate when delivered looked so fresh and inviting. It was loaded with fresh fruit and loads of yummy vegetables for dipping in the hummus.

DSCN1828

I ate the majority of the plate and loved every bite. Sometimes a small platter like this is all you need to be satisfied.

With so many movies in the theatres I want to see right now, I am glad my sister was willing to meet me at the halfway point to go see My Sister’s Keeper. Talk about a tear jerker! I loved it, but my sister was a little annoyed on how different the book was then the movie, although she still had tears in her eyes during the good parts.

I had borrowed the book from Jenna this past weekend and am looking forward to discovering the differences. Kelly told me its worth it to read the book because everything, including the ending, is different.

When the movie ended we headed to my favorite tart yogurt place, Sweet!, for dessert.

DSCN1831

I ordered a small tart original with granola, kiwi, & strawberries. It really made me miss all the fabulous FroYo placed in California!

As I said above I pretty much passed out as soon as I got home. I knew I needed the rest for my run this morning, which was an amazing 4 miler at a easy pace.

After running I did some last minute packing and tried to clean my fridge out. I still had lots of Strawberries, Blackberries, Blueberries, Kiwis, & Peaches that were on their last leg so I cut it all up and made a fresh fruit salad. I had a large serving for breakfast then froze the rest for a later date.

DSCN1833

I topped the my fruit salad with some Stonyfield Non-Fat Plain Yogurt, 1/4 cup Meg’s Crunchy Mix, & 1/2 cup Annie’s Coco & Vanilla Bunnies.

DSCN1835

It was a very tasty and filling breakfast. I LOVE big bowls of fruit in the morning!

DSCN1836

The funny part is I still have cantaloupe, a mango, 2 large apples, grapes and a whole pineapple in my fridge as well. Luckily these items will survive through the weekend. I still can’t believe I had so much fruit in my fridge. I guess I just went a little crazy the other weekend. 😉

What items do you tend to overstock on in your fridge? I always have ridiculous amounts of fruit because I never want to be in a situation where I run out. I also have 4 different jars of nut butters. 🙂

For a little humor…

I gave my sister a sample of Amazing Grass last night to try and had a good giggle when I found this message in my e-mail this morning.

So I decided this morning that I was going to take the superfood stuff straight up. I added it to a small glass of almond milk. Wow that stuff is potent! I should have been smart and added it to a smoothie but I wanted to be a badass and drink it on its on. I took two big gulps and as soon as I felt like my body was going to reject it and send it back out I dumped what was left down the sink. I should have just added it to the smoothie. I just wasn’t expecting it to be that bad! Thanks for letting me try it though!

1 smallchangesaddup July 2, 2009 at 8:57 am

I’m exactly the same, if I’m not in bed by half 10 on a weeknight I’m a complete zombie the next day!
Your sister’s reaction made me laugh. At least she tried it though, which is probably more than my sister would have done!

2 MarathonVal July 2, 2009 at 9:15 am

Haha, that’s hilarious because after having an indulgent night last night and needing something super healthy for breakfast, I was actually thinking of taking it straight up! But luckily you saved me the trouble – I think I’ll reconsider that idea!

3 Whit July 2, 2009 at 9:19 am

haha, so the amazing grass was not so amazing for her!

I am glad you liked My Sister’s Keeper. I want to watch it so bad.

4 caitlin July 2, 2009 at 9:26 am

hahah i love amazing grass straight up!

5 Quinn July 2, 2009 at 9:41 am

Random question – do you eat your kiwi with the skin still on? It looks like that in the photo – and I guess I’ve always skinned mine first. Didn’t know you could eat the skin!

6 Meganerd July 2, 2009 at 9:43 am

haha Your sister’s reaction is funny! I stil haven’t tried the amazing grass but caitlin said she would give me a sample.. Now I’m scared! lol

I’m surprised you liked Sweet!’s fro yo – I didn’t think it was all that great. I thought it was too “sweet” and not tart at all… maybe I ordered the wrong thing… 🙁

7 Rose July 2, 2009 at 9:51 am

I absolutely love the first line of this post. Brilliant.

8 katherine July 2, 2009 at 9:52 am

I had the same reaction to the Amazing Grass when I tried to be a big shot! Now it resides happily in my morning smoothies and that’s a-okay with me.

I tend to overstock salad fixings like endive and radicchio – I went through a phase a few weeks ago where I ate a salad of cucumbers, endive, chickpeas and radicchio tossed in a greek yogurt dressing almost every single night (and sometimes for lunch!). When I went to the grocery store before last weekend, I picked up several heads of endive and I just had to throw the last one (and some cucumbers) out this morning. Oops!

9 roseyrebecca July 2, 2009 at 9:53 am

I hear that movie is really good! I really want to see it. That restaurant looks so good! I wish we had places like that around Albany. I need to move to a healthier state! I would love to live in Florida or California!

10 runnerskitchen July 2, 2009 at 10:01 am

I hear ya on the fiber situation…I had a ginormous salad the other day and my tummy was not too happy with me when I tried running a few hours later. Oh well – live and learn 🙂

It’s such a delicate balance with fresh fruits and veggies – I like to stock up, but then it’s a race to eat them before they go bad!

11 solomomo July 2, 2009 at 10:02 am

Hi Meghann,

I’m really enjoying your blog! I am with you about early bedtime. The clock hits 10, and I have to be upstairs getting ready for bed, or I am a zombie the next day, and can’t work out in the morning.
Did you read the book before you saw the movie? I can’t wait to see it, it looks so good! The book had me hysterically crying!
Also, I overstock nut butters (about 7 right now I think?), yogurt, fruit, soy milk, grape tomatoes and string cheese. Never want to run out of those!

12 ksgoodeats July 2, 2009 at 10:04 am

Haha I love your sister’s review of Amazing Grass! That dinner looks awesome!! I love little plates like that!

13 lowandbhold July 2, 2009 at 10:12 am

I am the same way! It’s funny how just a few years ago I was completely “youthful” and now I act like an old fart! But I don’t mind it at all!

That dinner looked awesome. I want to see that movie, but haven’t read the book yet.

Your poor sister, sounds like she had a bad time of it, lol!

14 anne July 2, 2009 at 10:26 am

You should freeze your leftover grapes. they are so yummy… sorta melt in your mouth!

15 Christy July 2, 2009 at 10:31 am

Your sister’s reaction to the Amazing Grass was the same as mine to the Chocolate Bar. I almost choked on the first bite and had to throw it away. But I love the Chocolate Superfood mixed in with a smoothie. Can’t taste a thing!

16 Leah July 2, 2009 at 10:39 am

I always have mass quantities of cheese in my fridge for some reason. And I feel like I don’t even eat cheese that much! Currently, there is grated parm, shredded parm, shredded mozz, feta, shredded cheddar, shredded mexican mix, sliced pepperjack, and sliced american. Oh, and 2 different types of string cheese. (eyeroll)

17 Becca July 2, 2009 at 10:57 am

I end up with huge amounts of veggies all the time – I eat a ton of cucumber in the summer, so right now I have 3 or 4 in my fridge!

I haven’t kept up on the My Sister’s Keeper reviews, but glad to hear you liked it! The book is supposed to be fabulous as well (I’m sure you’ve heard) – hope you enjoy that too!

18 harri004 July 2, 2009 at 10:58 am

mmm the fruit looks great! I love kiwi but haven’t had it in forever. I need to get more “exotic” fruits. At 24 I feel like a grandma myself, I go to bed at 9:30!

rachelsworkbites.com

19 JohannaB July 2, 2009 at 11:17 am

I tend to overbuy bananas which isn’t a bad thing anymore cuz I can just peel and freeze them for green monsters.

I read “My Sister’s Keeper” and liked it very much. If the movie is too differenct I may not like it. My daughter has me reading “Twilight” now. I wasn’t certain that i’d like it cuz of all the hype but so far it’s really good.

20 Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write July 2, 2009 at 11:27 am

ha ha… not sure the Grass people would love that endorsement lol (kidding).

I’m dying to see that new Sandra Bullock movie. I can’t remember the name. It just looks so cute. The hubby rolls his eyes every time I bring it up… What? A girl movie? lmao

21 Matt July 2, 2009 at 11:28 am

I always overstock cereal, fruit, yogurt, and peanut butter. My staples!

I am with you on getting bed early. I usually pass out around 10 because I wake up at 5 to run. My friends call me granny!

22 sue July 2, 2009 at 11:36 am

dinner and dessert look perfect! yay for sister time 🙂

23 Therese July 2, 2009 at 11:55 am

I go through phases like that with my shopping. Sometimes I buy WAAAY too much produce, and other times my fridge looks barren!

Have you though about freezing some of it and using it in smoothies later on? Better than taking the chance it goes bad…

24 homecookedem July 2, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Your dessert and breakfast are almost identical! 😉

25 Kate July 2, 2009 at 1:00 pm

UGH hands down-I overstock on cottage cheese?!?! Whyyyyy….I think it’s because I always buy it thinking “oh it’s such a small carton”, but then I end up choosing Greek yogurt everytime when I’m hungry!

26 Christina July 2, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I tend to overstock on dressings, jams, salsas and the like. I forget that they take so long to finish and always end up buying more when I go shopping!

27 Susan July 2, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Ha, my boyfriend always teases me for being an old lady now with my sleeping patterns. But I have no shame in it! I love being in bed at a decent hour, then getting up early and being productive!

I always overstock yogurt. I buy a tub everytime I’m at the grocery store, regardless if I already have a full one. I’m just scared of running out!

28 Courtney July 2, 2009 at 1:23 pm

You are not an old woman! 😀

29 Courtney July 2, 2009 at 1:24 pm

If you’re an old woman, then I am your grandma ….

-Courtney

30 brandi July 2, 2009 at 2:01 pm

what a fun dinner and movie night! I feel the same way…if I get home on a “work night” after like 8:30, I feel like I need to get in bed right then, like the whole night is wasted.

when did I get so old? I’m only 26. it cracks me up.

31 Sarah July 2, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Isn’t it amazing that mere years ago staying up till 12 was no big thing? My freshman year of college, bedtime was around 4 a.m.!!!

I own 5 jars of peanut butter and 1 of almond butter. I also always have strawberries, usually waaay more than I can eat!

32 Bec July 2, 2009 at 3:01 pm

I am afraid to watch the movie because I loved the book so much!