more ยป" />

Happy Canada Day!

by Meghann on July 1, 2009

Happy Canada Day to all my wonderful Canadian readers out there!

I work with a few Canadians and they are all sporting their Red & White today with pride. ๐Ÿ™‚

Is anyone else out there ready for Wednesday to be over? I donโ€™t think a short week has ever felt so loooonnnggg to me. Thursday afternoon, where are you?!?!

Mid-Morning I munched on two of my Zucchini Muffins.

DSCN1799

I really donโ€™t call myself a baker, but these are great. I think it has to do with the fact I did not alter the recipe at all. I am so used to making whatever changes I want while cooking and having it come out great. But baking relies on too many other variables that I just do not understand. From now on itโ€™s strict recipe following all the way when baking.

For lunch today I did a little twist on Lox & Bagel using ingredients I had on hand.

DSCN1805

Instead of the traditional bagel and cream cheese in the dish I substituted a Multi-Grain English Muffin and Stonyfield Non-Fat Plain Yogurt. Atop the yogurt and english muffin I had the traditional salmon and capers with a few untraditional items of jalapenos, spinach and cucumber.

DSCN1807

I loved the extra additions! It was even better then an original lox & bagel if you ask my opinion. ๐Ÿ˜‰

On the side I am still plowing through the Cantaloupe I bought at the Farmerโ€™s market the other weekend. This will teach me to buy such a large cantaloupe for little ole me.

DSCN1809

I also had a serving of Blue Corn Tortilla Chips with verde salsa.

DSCN1810

This morning I received a lovely shipment of samples from the great people at Vitalicious.

I was pleasantly surprised at the wide assortment of VitaTops they sent my way. So many great sounding flavors.

DSCN1804

From the company:

Vitalicious (www.vitalicious.com) makes innovative "vital and delicious" baked goods that promote a healthy lifestyle without sacrificing taste. Their VitaTops (without stumps) and VitaMuffins (with stumps) are all-natural products, without any artificial additives or preservatives of any kind.

Here are details of what you get in each individually-wrapped serving:
. 100 calories
. No artificial ingredients
. No preservatives
. Whole grains
. 5g – 6g of fiber
. 0g – 1.5g of fat
. 3g – 4g protein
. 15 vitamins and minerals

After lunch I could not help, but break into the Fudgy Peanut Butter Chip VitaTop.

DSCN1812

I am usually not one to fall for โ€˜100 calorieโ€™ promises as they generally are still not the best thing for you ingredient wise and 100 calorie really means a tinier version of the original. However, these VitaTops did intrigue me.

For starters they are a HUGE for the 100 calorie serving size. The top was as big as my hand.

DSCN1815

I was also intrigued by the fact these muffin tops do not contain preservatives and therefore had to be put in the freezer as soon as I received them.

The notional stats are not to shabby either and though the ingredient list is long, its all elements I recognize.

DSCN1813

I have to say I was impressed with the taste as well. It was not too sweet and had a great fluffy, moist texture. My only complaint is I was expecting the peanut butter to be a more predominant flavor. Besides that, pretty good.

With a freezer now stocked with every flavor of VitaTop out there I can not wait to sample them all. I would not call these babies health food, but for a quick treat, theyโ€™re great!

Thanks Vitalicious for allowing me to sample youโ€™re wonderful product!

1 jentrinque July 1, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I always hear rave reviews of Vitatops, but if I remember correctly they were pretty pricey when I checked them out at the grocery store. Still, they look good!

2 brandi July 1, 2009 at 2:05 pm

honestly! it’s the longest week ever.

I’m still working on a cantaloupe from a week ago, too. my husband doesn’t like it, so I always have it for a while.

that’s awesome you get to try vitamuffins! I’ve never been able to find them in stores here, but I’ve heard that they’re pretty good.

3 runeatrepeat July 1, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I love Vitatops! The only negative is they are so expensive! The Deep Chocolate flavor is the best. The PB one that you had is just okay, the PB flavor is kinda lacking.

4 Whit July 1, 2009 at 2:08 pm

I haven’t ever tried VitaTops, but I have heard wonderful things…I usually get in a baking mood, eliminating the need for buying baked goods.

GAH, I sound like such a lame-o!

5 runnerskitchen July 1, 2009 at 2:08 pm

vitatops are delicious! i like to warm them up in the microwave and smear almond butter or peanut butter on top. mmm…

6 alyssa July 1, 2009 at 2:08 pm

lucky duck! it would be heaven on earth the day i received a package that big and delicious! i pay close to $5 for a box of 4 muffins ๐Ÿ™

7 Danielle C. July 1, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Yum! I hear such great things about Vitatops, I want to buy them but they are just so freaking expensive.

8 Robin July 1, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I love Vita Tops. The fresh ones are way better than the ones from the store. And I make my own with the mixes in order to save some money as they are a bit spendy.

9 strivingforbalance July 1, 2009 at 2:47 pm

awesome sample package! I got a bunch of samples from a friend who go the same thing. They are so great and only 100 calories is awesome!

10 MarathonVal July 1, 2009 at 2:49 pm

I love Vitatops but I’ve only had the original choc. flavor. I’m sooo jealous of all of the flavors you have to try! Feel free to share them with your readers! ๐Ÿ˜‰

11 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 1, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I love those things!

12 smallchangesaddup July 1, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I’m jealous of all the free goodies, they look great! So does your lunch – you always seem to come up with such creative dishes. I really need to break out of my sandwich habit!
No short week for me unfortunately!

13 jocelyneatsfresh July 1, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Happy Canada day! THANK YOU for starting your post off with that. Made my day ๐Ÿ˜‰ Love that there are canadians there sportin their pride!

aww man I love vita! but we can only get like 3 flavours here. Standard for Canada!

Tell the vita people to send me some samples lol ๐Ÿ˜›

14 Jamie July 1, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I use to eat VitaMuffins all the time, but I too got tired of paying the high price for them. The last time I bought them, they had a definite “vitaminy” flavor/aftertaste. I don’t think they were cooked through in the middle. Wasn’t able to eat them again after that. Hopefully, you got a good batch Meghann! ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Courtney July 1, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Wow, those Vitatops looks SUH-SWEET! I love things cold and in the freezer. NOM NOM NOM ๐Ÿ˜€

-Court

16 Ada July 1, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I used to frequently eat vita tops, but then I bit into one and found something very disgusting. I am not going to say what it was because I don’t want to gross anyone out. When I called to complain about it they were quite rude and would not even refund my money! It’s too bad because I had really enjoyed them!!

17 jenngirl July 1, 2009 at 3:45 pm

SO jealous of your Vitalicious package!! I love Vitatops, they are excellent for an occasional sweet treat! ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Kelsey July 1, 2009 at 3:48 pm

vitalicious!!! the tops are always the best part of muffins, anyway hahah…
i totally am in love with your lox-y creation. ive got to try that, and soon!

19 Quinn July 1, 2009 at 3:58 pm

I have been on the Vitatop Bandwagon for about four years now and LOVE them. Only gripe is that they’re so $$$ in the store. They are great warmed and crumbled on ice cream or fruit as an added treat.

And sister, I know – this day is DRAGGING!

20 Adi (oatonomy.com) July 1, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Thanks for the Canada Day shout out! It’s always a big day here in the nation’s capital!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Enjoy the Vitas… that thing looks insanely moist.

21 Thursday's Child July 1, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Oh wow, those VitaTops look delish – I don’t think anyone near me carries them though. This is the first I’d ever heard of them – that’s the problem with small town living.

22 The Healthy Apple July 1, 2009 at 4:05 pm

O my…I want a bite of your lox now…that looks unreal…

Have a great day; hope the rain stopped down in Florida..

Best,

Amie

23 Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write July 1, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I saw capers!!! I love those little devils. I need to pick some up.

I’m really eager for you to try the other flavors of vita tops. They’re selling them at Costco now, and I pondered a purchase. Are they a treat or are they actually “good” for you?

24 Melissa S. July 1, 2009 at 4:54 pm

lucky duck…i couldn’t ever find them in CA or FL…boohiss.

25 Niki July 1, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Very creative lunch! I’ve never had a Vita Top but they look pretty good!

26 Natalie M. July 1, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I’ve never had vitatops but I’ve ordered vitamuffins a few times and shared them with co-workers.. they rock! They especially taste good warmed up in the microwave with a nice glass of cold vanilla hemp milk.. mmm!

27 loveprevails July 1, 2009 at 6:07 pm

i started working at a diner this summer and we make that exact same bagel sandwich with veggies and lox and capers! LOLSO good! And I have a huge order of VitaMuffin Lovin’ I too and doin!!

28 ttfn300 July 1, 2009 at 6:15 pm

ok, i love the chocolate vitatops, but highly recommend warming them first–over the top ๐Ÿ™‚

29 Meg July 1, 2009 at 7:31 pm

I agree! This has been an extremely long week!

Love your muffins!

I have tried some of the Vitalicious products in the past and loved them.

30 Jill July 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Happy Canada Day to you too!
That made my day…just moved to the U.S from Canada ๐Ÿ™‚

31 Deva July 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm

your variation on lox and cream cheese looks rockin – I’ll have to try that out. Lox and cream cheese bagels are one of my favorite foods starting from childhood ๐Ÿ™‚

32 TorontoGirloutWest July 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Thanks for the Happy Canada Day!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

33 roseyrebecca July 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm

I really need to try Vita Muffins. They look so yummy!

34 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) July 1, 2009 at 11:04 pm

I need to try VitaTops Muffins! Everyone always says how good they are! Thanks for the review! That’s great that they are not too sweet!

35 Melissa July 1, 2009 at 11:56 pm

I haven’t had vitatops in a while, but i am a big fan. I just wish I had more freezer space!

36 Bec July 2, 2009 at 12:51 am

I love vitatops but they can be kind of pricy sometimes…

37 joelygolightly July 2, 2009 at 12:56 am

Mmmm I love Vita tops-you’re a lucky girl!

38 Leanne July 2, 2009 at 3:25 am

the vitatops are great! The PB ones are my least favorite though. I love deep chocolate, dark chocolate pomegranate and chocolate fig. I have ordered them in bulk to keep in the freezer but they do take up a lot of space! I recommend a few minutes in the toaster oven. Enjoy!

and Happy Canada Day!

39 Sarah July 2, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Nice work on switching up the lox and bagel!

Ahhh! I want to try VitaMuffins, but I never find them! I can’t wait to read more of your reviews.