Trying the Grass

by Meghann on June 30, 2009

Happy Tuesday everyone! Now that Monday is behind us the week is all down hill from here. πŸ˜‰

For my work out this morning I started  with a short 3 mile run. I ran the 3 miles at a 9:15 pace and felt great at the end. I felt like my body could go faster and my leg did not bother me at all. I can not stress enough on here how much resting and slowly building my leg back up has helped me recover after my marathon.

I am even amazed with the great results! I have to admit when my leg kept feeling tight for the first 2 weeks there was always a lingering thought in the back of my head that I was permanently injured. Fortunately I pushed all of those negative thoughts out of my head and focused on recovery. It worked like a charm. πŸ™‚

When I finished my run I gave the Effortless Abs work out from the June issue of Self a try. I used substituted a folded up towel for the BOSU ball they recommended.

I did two reps on each side for each move and engaged my abs the whole time. I get very tired of doing crunches over and over again, so I am always eager to learn new moves that will work my core without a crunch being involved. This work out did the trick.

Breakfast consisted of a little grass.

DSCN1784

After hearing Jenna and Ryan rave about Amazing Grass this weekend, they were kind enough to send me home with a couple of samples so I could try the smoothie out for myself.

DSCN1781

In the blender I mixed

• 1 Packet Amazing Grass
  • 1 Mango
  • 1/2 cup Almond Milk
  • Ice
  • 1 tablespoon Barney Butter

The end result was pretty tasty. I could definitely taste the berry infused flavors from the Amazing Grass packet, but I could not taste any grass. As with every other green smoothies I have sampled the green flavor was hidden under the sweetness of the fruit.

DSCN1783

The smoothie cooled me down from my hot and sweaty work out which make it a great summer time treat.

DSCN1779

And since in my head breakfast is just not breakfast without a little crunch I had 1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean along side the smoothie.

DSCN1780

What do you think of the Amazing Grass/ Green Smoothie craze? I honestly don’t know why people are so afraid to try it. I just see it as an way to sneak extra vitamins in my breakfast. I promise they taste just like any other normal fruit smoothie you could pick up at Tropical Smoothie or Smoothie King. πŸ˜‰

1 smallchangesaddup June 30, 2009 at 8:57 am

I’m dying to try some amazing grass products, but they don’t sell them over here unfortunately. I had my first green monster about a month ago, and haven’t looked back since. I love them!

2 Island Girl Eats June 30, 2009 at 9:01 am

I bought some the other week, except mine is cocoa flavoured. It is so good. I find it really filling too. When I have it for breakfast, I don’t need to have a morning snack.

3 hopefulrunner June 30, 2009 at 9:04 am

I would absolutely love to try the amazing grass, I’m sure that it’s delicious! There aren’t any stores that sell it over here. It’s a bit pricey though so I’m going to have to stash away some $$$ and then order one of the big tubs of goodness. πŸ™‚
Have a great day!

4 Ada June 30, 2009 at 9:07 am

There’s nothing like a delicious smoothie on a hot day to make you feel great πŸ™‚

5 Michaela June 30, 2009 at 9:09 am

Your constant positivity is always so uplifting! These amazing grass products have become quite the craze in blog-land. I’d like to know if it made you feel energized like other people have said.

6 lowandbhold June 30, 2009 at 9:26 am

So glad your leg is back to normal! I love your attitude about it!

I love green smoothies but haven’t had the opportunity to try Amazing Grass yet – I can’t wait until I do though!

7 harri004 June 30, 2009 at 9:29 am

I just got some Amazing Grass myself, I would add berries and you can’t taste anything except the sweetness from them! I used to make Spinach smoothies so anything green doesn’t scare me!

rachelsworkbites.com

8 Nikole June 30, 2009 at 9:30 am

I can’t wait for someone to buy us a new blender for our wedding…ours broke a month ago. Your smoothie looks so good. Instead I have just been shaking up the Amazing Grass with almond milk and it is still so good!

9 RunToFinish June 30, 2009 at 9:33 am

you know i can’t decide what i think.. often i can taste the powder which I don’t really care for in my drinks, but otherwise i love slipping in all the nutrients!

10 krystyn June 30, 2009 at 9:45 am

I may have to look for that amazing grass @ my local EarthFare and give it a try. It doesn’t look very appetizing, but I’ll take your word for it that it doesn’t taste bad and at least try it. πŸ™‚

11 Pearl June 30, 2009 at 9:47 am

hmm what would be the difference between the addition of amazing grass in smoothies as compared to just regular smoothies?

12 Ally June 30, 2009 at 9:47 am

I love the Amazing Grass products! I have to admit, I was a little nervous the first time I tried it and thought I might have to fight the gag reflex, but, they’re tasty–and sooo good for you!! I love the energy you get from it. Yum!

13 Betsy June 30, 2009 at 9:52 am

I got the sample pack in the mail and to be honest I’m really not a fan of the funky taste it gives smoothies… especially the fruit flavored ones. They’re semi-chemical tasting and the green is way to “dirty” tasting to me. Blech!

14 Whit June 30, 2009 at 9:53 am

I LOVE getting my greens in the morning. I feel so much better about myself through the day.

15 Traci June 30, 2009 at 9:57 am

I agree with Betsy about the fruit flavors. I tried the pom/mango yeterday and did not like it at all! Love the nutrients but really did not like the taste.

16 runnerskitchen June 30, 2009 at 9:59 am

I’ve been trying to convince my friends that you can’t taste the spinach in green monsters, but I’ve yet to be successful. Perhaps I could try blindfolding them – I really think the aversion is to the color!

17 leslie June 30, 2009 at 10:29 am

i’m dying to try amazing grass! i should really just suck it up and buy some samples.

i think it’s fun to sneak vegetables in places you wouldn’t expect to see them. if i ever have kids, i am so making them green smoothies to get their greens in!

18 prettyladycmu June 30, 2009 at 10:37 am

I love Green Monsters and I’m really enjoying my Amazing Grass. I’m pretty picky about which kinds I like though – SuperFoods Original or Chocolate, Amazing Meal Original. Everything else tasty too “chemical” even though there aren’t any chemicals in it!

19 brandi June 30, 2009 at 10:52 am

I like green smoothies, but I haven’t tried any of the amazing grass products yet. I like my spinach or kale smoothies fine, and it’s cheaper to do that than for me to order stuff.

20 Christina June 30, 2009 at 11:00 am

I would love to try it… it’s just so expensive!

21 strivingforbalance June 30, 2009 at 11:01 am

I’ve been really interested in trying amazing grass. I want to try samples before I buy it to see which kind I like and dislike. How can I get my hands on the samples? haha

22 Madison June 30, 2009 at 11:06 am

I love the green smoothie/grass craze b/c I would not of found out about it if it weren’t all over the blogs!

My family looks at me like I am so disgusting when I drink them, but you know what? I don’t care! It is so energizing and good for me, and that’s all that matters to me. AND it doesn’t taste like it looks by any means. SO, that’s a plus.

: )

23 Matt June 30, 2009 at 11:32 am

I honestly think the green monster thing is a blog “fad”. I think some people are just drinking them because everyone else is.

24 mayapamela June 30, 2009 at 11:52 am

I completely agree with the green monster thing–I think it’s a great way to get vitamins. Ther are so many preservatives and gross additives in food that I find more revolting than spinach or kale.

25 catiechurch June 30, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Well… I tried the Green Monster today and it kind of weirded me out. I don’t know… wasn’t all that I hoped for.

26 Kaolee June 30, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Your blog just makes me want to get some. Tonight, deifnitely ordering them!

27 Susan June 30, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Thanks for the ab workout link! I too am always looking for new ab moves so I don’t have to do an endless number of crunches πŸ™‚

I’m all for the grass smoothie fad. Personally, I can’t digest large amounts of raw veggies and greens at once, so green monsters are out of the question for me. I think powdered veggies are a good substitute! (although, unfortunately, a lot more processed than the real thing)

28 caronae June 30, 2009 at 12:39 pm

That smoothie looks very tasty and healthy! It makes me want some cold ice…

29 Sarah June 30, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Whenever I make a GM my roommates are super grossed-out. I bet if it weren’t bright green they would be itching to try it, though!

30 Beth @ CrossBorderCravings June 30, 2009 at 12:59 pm

I have yet to try a Green Monster smoothie but it’s definitely on my to-do list. Seems like a lot of people say it gives them incredible energy in the morning which I sure could use!

31 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 30, 2009 at 1:06 pm

The green monster in a wine glass AND with a straw– kind of silly haha!

32 Nicole June 30, 2009 at 5:59 pm

I’m down with the Amazing Grass! I went hardcore yesterday and mixed it with water.. it wasn’t too bad, but today I’m DEFINITELY making a smoothie!!

33 broccolihut July 1, 2009 at 12:51 am

I love Amazing Grass! That berry flavor reminds me of strawberry milk from my childhood:)

34 Elliott July 2, 2009 at 12:47 am

This is a totally weird question but does anyone else smell chocolate when they open the Amazing Grass tub? Or is it just me and my wacko nose?