Bare Bones

by Meghann on June 30, 2009

I think I overestimated how much food I had in fridge for this week. It’s only Tuesday and I feel like I am already at bare bones. I have plenty of fruit, yogurt, & spinach, but not much else. Time to get creative.

With not much to work with I was quite proud of the meal I managed to put together for dinner tonight.

The meal required use of a lot of the last bit of ingredients I had. Including my final sweet potato onion which I roasted along with a zucchini and apple for 20 minutes at 415 degrees.

I topped the roasted veggies with the last of a can of chickpeas, the final scrapings from a jar of marinara sauce and the final shreds of the last bit of jalapeno cheese.

With 1/2 of an Italian Pita torn around the edge, this meal was perfect! Marinara sauce is and will forever be my no fail favorite meal to make. Yum!

For some reason I still had two large zucchinis at the bottom of my vegetable drawer. I took inspiration from Bobbi’s recent Zucchini Bread adventure and made a batch of Zucchini Muffins from this recipe on Cooking Light.

I followed the recipe exactly, but added crushed walnuts and chopped dates to the mix. They ended up very moist and flavorful. Yum!

I had 2 of the mini muffins fresh out of the oven for dessert. Perfect.

I wanted to say a big Thank You for all of your wonderful comments about my past cruise photos. It’s so strange I never think I look that different until I start looking through old pictures and see the change. I still feel like the same Meghann, just a healthier happier version. :)

1 joelygolightly June 30, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Tomato sauce is the no fail tying ingredient!

Those muffins look so yummy and moist!

2 Meredith June 30, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Those muffins look great!

3 jocelyneatsfresh June 30, 2009 at 9:28 pm

num those muffins sound good!!

4 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) June 30, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Your muffins look awesome! Thanks for the info on cruising earlier, I’m so excited. I can’t wait to hear all about your cruise this weekend, I bet Derek is going to have a wonderful first cruise!

5 Matt June 30, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Looks like you will be heading to the store this week!

6 Casey @ Double Scooped June 30, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Marinara sauce never fails!! You totally need to try my Grandma’s homemade marinara sauce. Maybe I can convince her to cook for 135+ people for the blog summit?

maybe :/

7 Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write June 30, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Your dinner looks fantastic. And, yes, you really did look different in your cruise pics. You’re gorgeous either way. In fact, I think you have a very unique beauty. Your zucc muffins are fab. I think I’m making strawberry muffins this week. YUM-O

8 Whit June 30, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Those muffins look delish! Bobbi inspired me to make zucchini bread last night too. I have had it at um, two meals today.

9 Christina June 30, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Those muffins look great! I just made zucchini ones a few days ago too!

10 leslie June 30, 2009 at 11:05 pm

those muffins look so yummy. i love zucchini baked goods.

i really think those thrown together, scraping the back of the fridge meals can sometimes be the best. they get those creative juices flowing! :)

11 Hallie June 30, 2009 at 11:13 pm

“Happier” is the key component, I think. I think it’s great that your family is so supportive of your healthy habits and that you really seem to enjoy your healthy foods. I’m used to be that way…then I was introduced to greasy Mexican food…but I’m trying to remind myself how much better I feel when I eat healthy, and delicious, foods :-)

12 bobbi June 30, 2009 at 11:32 pm

oooo I think that those are amazing looking! Might have to make mufins next time for sure :) Night Dear!

13 Melissa S. June 30, 2009 at 11:39 pm

dude, that is an awesome dinner.

sorry i never got back to you when i was leaving FL. Brad and I got swamped and had to drive super fast to get to TX for his family reunion on Saturday…it was a bit of a nightmare of driving. I miss you and caitlin already though!!!!

have fun on your cruise! you’re going to have an absolute blast!!

14 roseyrebecca June 30, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Those muffins look amazing! Your dinner looks so good too! I don’t even like sweet potatoes! I may have to try them again!

15 Hangry Pants June 30, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Two things (1) I liked the old cruise pictures a lot because I think they show that you were confident even when you weighed a little more. I know you feel healthier and happier now, but you seemed happy there as well and I think that’s important. (2) You always say you’re not a baker, but those muffins look so good!

16 RunToFinish July 1, 2009 at 12:37 am

ohh i love zucchini bread, I really should make some too!

17 Courtney July 1, 2009 at 1:40 am

Yummo! Mini muffers, I’m in love :]

18 smallchangesaddup July 1, 2009 at 3:12 am

Those Zucchini muffins look great. And so does dinner! I love getting creative with that I have left in the fridge, it always makes me think of different and more exciting meals.

19 Kelly July 1, 2009 at 5:57 am

That dinner looks so delicious! Yum! And those muffins too! 😀

20 Erica July 1, 2009 at 7:31 am

You do such a good job making delicious looking meals when you are running out of food! I hope that your last two days of work before the break are fabulous

21 fitforfree July 2, 2009 at 12:31 pm

It’s so awesome to hear you say you just feel like a “healthier happier” version of your previous self – because I don’t want to change who I am as a person by getting healthier, just get rid of bad habits. I’ve changed my eating before but always felt obsessive/mentally unhealthier as a result. Thanks for the inspiration!