Empty DVR

by Meghann on June 29, 2009

Summer is no good for the DVR. I used to come home to a happy DVR filled with lots of great shows to choose from to watch. But, now I barely have enough to keep me entertained as I make dinner.

Right now I am settling with live TV. I feel so dirty.

Has anyone ever watched an episode of The Secret Lives of the American Teenager? I’m about 10 minutes into an episode and already I’m ready to break through the TV and slap some acting abilities into these kids. I also think I could write a more believable and relatable story line then this. It reminds me of the later episodes of 7th Heaven when the show started going down hill. It’s bad. Very bad.

Anyone have any good recommendations of new shows out there that will make my DVR happy again?

Anyways… I will stop complaining about my couch potato habits. Back to food and exercise now. πŸ™‚

I have a few new foods to discuss.

The first being the Amazing Grass Green Superfood Energy Bar I had as my midafternoon snack.

DSCN1768.JPG

After seeing this bar around some of my favorite blogs I was looking forward to trying it.

DSCN1769.JPG

Upon first bite I was instantly reminded of a chocolate covered larabar. Besides the chocolate coating and the date filling the bar was quite flavorless. t’s not something I would call good, but not bad either. I think my verdict is still out the door on this one. I will admit it did fill me up though and gave me energy the rest of the afternoon.

My second new food is the Jicama Rice I experimented with for dinner.

DSCN1777.JPG

I am intrigued by jicama and the fresh, crisp taste it has. I enjoyed my first experience with jicama and the Jicama Slaw I made last month. I have been dying to try jicama rice ever since.

To make the rice I simply peeled and cubed the jicama then pulsed it in my food processor until it resembled the texture of cous cous. I then dug in my fridge for other fresh ingredients to create a Jicama Rice Salad. So fresh and so good.

DSCN1773.JPG

• 1 oz Crushed Walnuts

Dressing

• 1/2 cup Stonyfield Plain Non-Fat Yogurt
  • 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
  • 1 tsp Honey
  • 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar

I chopped and tossed together all of the salad ingredients. In a separate bowl I combined the ingredients for the dressing before coating the salad with the dressing. The whole meal took less then 10 minutes to put together. It was fresh, light and perfect for a hot summer night!

DSCN1772.JPG

On the side I had the last of my Mary Gone Crackers. It was a nice crunch added to the meal.

DSCN1774.JPG

I dug into my chocolate stash for dessert and found some left over Easter candy to tame my sweet tooth.

DSCN1778.JPG

The Reeses Peanut Butter Egg and Sour Patch Watermelons were the perfect way to end my day.

As for this show, it is not a good way to end the day with! It’s just soo bad! One of the girls on the show believes her Father died in a plane crash because God is punishing her for for having sex. Why am I still watching it?!?! Must change channel now!

1 Amanda June 29, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I was watching secret life too and I swear that I counted them saying the word sex 50 times within a half hour!!! Horrible horrible show!

2 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 29, 2009 at 9:09 pm

I have to admit I watch The Secret Life of the American Teenager. I totally agree that the acting is pretty bad, and a lot of the writing is pretty bad, too. Somehow it’s just got me addicted for some reason. It’s one of those shows that I don’t even want to admit I watch, but I do haha!

3 Vanessa @ Last Night's Leftovers June 29, 2009 at 9:12 pm

I think I’m going to steal your dressing for my own salads!

4 runrunjessicarun June 29, 2009 at 9:13 pm

haha I’ve never even heard of that show actually. I’m watching Intervention right now… that’s as exciting as it gets for me. I am on a waiting list for the 1st season of Gossip Girl so I am excited about that.

What about How I met your mother? Ever seen that? Hilarious!!

5 Danielle June 29, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I totally recommend True Blood on HBO. Unfortunately, you would need to watch the 1st season to understand it. Samantha Who? is a pretty funny sitcom, if you like something lighthearted.

6 Cathy June 29, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Its made by the creators of 7th Heaven. Hence, the Jesus-y lessons throughout the whole thing. And the bad writing.

I did see the Ricky guy from it at Katsuya the other night making out with an older lady. It made the show more interesting for me.

7 Amanda June 29, 2009 at 9:24 pm

True blood on hbo! You will love it! and its kind of like twilight! If you dont have hbo i’d highly recommend buying the first season…it’s worth it!

8 VeggieGirl June 29, 2009 at 9:31 pm

LOVE the jicama!!

I agree with Amanda, above – True Blood is AMAZING!!

9 Lynne June 29, 2009 at 9:31 pm

I have actually watched the show, and you’re right, it is bad and a lot like 7th Heaven. Even Molly Ringwald can’t save it.

10 stacey June 29, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Secret Life is not so bad if you can get past the bad acting.

11 Renee June 29, 2009 at 9:34 pm

I’m TOTALLY with you on the Secret Life, Meghann.. I just can’t seem to watch it. Let us know if you find some good show’s on this summer! =)

12 jentrinque June 29, 2009 at 9:35 pm

That TV show sounds so funny (in a horrible way)! I am watching episodes of the show Party Down from the Instant Netflix queue, as nothing good is on TV. Do you have Netflix? Because there are tons of free TV shows and movies you can download instantly. It’s a good option for boring summer nights!

13 Mica June 29, 2009 at 9:40 pm

That is a really shitty show, if only because the entire plot is driven by teenagers somehow knowing more than their parents. I feel like every scene is the teen being an ass to some adult, and then the adult just stands their goggle-eyed and regretful. It’s really, really bad. So glad that you think so too!

(And the acting definitely sucks too.)

14 Matt June 29, 2009 at 9:41 pm

I have just been watching a lot of movies and old TV shows. Thank God for Netflix!

15 Meredith June 29, 2009 at 9:43 pm

I’ve seen that show a few times before! I just remember the one episode where the pregnant teen was all mad b/c she realized her mom wasn’t going to take care of her kid for her so she could go out and party all the time and go shopping with her friends. In fact, I think her mom told her she needed to get a part time job so she could help support her kid. And the girl was just like “omg this is so unfair! you’re so mean and unreasonable!” lol. I really hope the girl came around in later episodes.

16 Danielle C. June 29, 2009 at 9:43 pm

LOL thanks for the info, I will never ever accidentally watch that show!

17 gina (fitnessista) June 29, 2009 at 9:46 pm

nice jicama rice πŸ˜›
i’ve never seen that show, but thanks for the warning!

18 Casey @ Double Scooped June 29, 2009 at 9:59 pm

hahaha omg i am actually watching that show right now. i was JUST talking to my mom about how HORRIBLE it is, yet we keep watching it.

the dad is the worst actor ever!

19 Casey @ Double Scooped June 29, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I had to add – “Dad… is… oh-kay. He…is…pro…bab…ly play…ing…golf with Je-sus.”

I’m totally not making fun of people with a disability, but the things they make this guy say – really?!

20 Meganerd June 29, 2009 at 10:04 pm

LOL to all these comments. I don’t usually admit to watching that show- but I am. I think it reminds me of my high school experience because I had a whole bunch of “Jesus-y” friends like Grace. They seriously said “sex” like 500 times though. tonight’s episode was obnoxious.

I’m addicted to it for some reason….

21 Kath June 29, 2009 at 10:08 pm

I watched the first episode of NYC Prep……….

………I’m hooked.

22 Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm

I’m in love with those green superfood bars. Fiance loves them so much that I’m being sent on a field trip to WF to get more!!!

23 oz runner June 29, 2009 at 10:28 pm

ha ha, i can totally relate to your dvr comments……we live off of our dvr but since most of our shows don’t run through the summer, we’re actually watching live tv too…feels weird, i forgot what commercials were like….

24 Lyss June 29, 2009 at 10:33 pm

true blood! you love vamps, don’t you? πŸ™‚

25 Shannon June 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Have you tried The Bachelorette???? Soooo good.

26 lowandbhold June 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm

I had to downsize my expenses and cancel DVR when I moved into my downtown apartment. I miss it so!!!

I like Royal Pains on USA. Not Emmy award winning, but it’s a cute summer show.

I’ve also been watching the Bachelorette, just so I’ll know what all the bloggers are talking about! It’s pretty ridiculous, but entertaining.

27 leslie June 29, 2009 at 10:39 pm

tv is terrible in the summer! i’m just waiting for mad men to come back in a few more weeks.

i looooove jicama. your dinner looks fabulous!

28 Ryane June 29, 2009 at 10:45 pm

My friends always raved about that show so I caught some of the marathon last week and was NOT impressed… I like how you put it – “slap some acting ability” into them!
I’ve been playing with my ondemand options… I hate reality tv (bachelorette, dancing shows) and netflixing tv shows I didn’t catch when they first started (weeds, always sunny in PA)…

29 Courtney June 29, 2009 at 11:00 pm

I am so happy you did an HONEST review about the amazing grass bar. They’ve been floating all over the blogs, I think mainly because Amazing Grass was sending them to everyone, so of course everyone has to rave. But I just don’t think they’re that great!

Thanks for your honesty!

-Court

30 MarathonVal June 29, 2009 at 11:12 pm

I’m ashamed to say that the only summer show I regularly must see is The Bachelorette, but lets face it, after the Jason series it just went downhill from there!!

31 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) June 29, 2009 at 11:20 pm

I know what you mean about the DVR – I keep expecting there to be shows recorded to watch – its kind of a bummer and yes, makes me feel like a total couch potato. πŸ™‚

32 Christina June 29, 2009 at 11:34 pm

That’s so weird, I just bought jicama yesterday and had NO idea what to do with it. Thanks for the recipe!

33 Hangry Pants June 29, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Sadly, I have seen that terrible show. And I am 29. Sad.

I suggest How I Met Your Mother on Monday nights. πŸ˜€

34 Steph June 29, 2009 at 11:47 pm

awful acting yet incredibly addicting! but you’re right, there isn’t much for tv pickings during the summer. Jon and Kate+8 is another guilty pleasure of mine but apparently the show is going on a hiatus :-/

35 Tay June 30, 2009 at 12:05 am

OMG I absolutely HATE that show!! My sisters watch it, and I cannot stand those acting abilities! I agree – horrible!! I cringe, haha.

I just bought a jicama yesterday to make a salad with!! I’ve never used one before, so it’ll be interesting!

36 Emily June 30, 2009 at 12:28 am

Yeah, I made it about 5minutes in to an episode of that and never went back! Royal Pains has been pretty good.

37 broccolihut June 30, 2009 at 1:09 am

Chocolate covered Larabar?! Sign me up!

38 Sarah June 30, 2009 at 1:13 am

Mmm, Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs may just be my all-time favorite candy. I am so jealous right now!

39 Tasty Health Food June 30, 2009 at 1:55 am

Oh, I hate that show! And this is kind of like deja vu. My mom and I are watching Harry Potter because of the sad lack of DVR-ness. Hm. Well, at least she is. I have yet to try those bars, but I’ve seen them. I’ll buy one when I go to Whole Foods tomorrow. πŸ™‚

40 Pearl June 30, 2009 at 4:13 am

back when i was younger, the “hit” shows for teens were shows like saved by the bell, when teens were still portrayed in a very innocent light – only harmless pranks, childish jokes and puppy crushes.

when did a show for teens suddenly revolve around teenage pregnancy? although i applaud the creators for producing something that really is reflective of an issue that’s present in our current society, it does make me just wonder about the maturation speed of current teenagers, as opposed to the speed from a previous generation.

41 Maya June 30, 2009 at 5:02 am

I remember hearing about Secret LIfe of the American Teenager, sounds like the perfect show to laugh at!

42 Susan June 30, 2009 at 7:23 am

I wish I could find jicama around here, I’d love to experiment with it!

The only two shows I’m watching right now are the Real World and Canada’s Next Top Model. Otherwise, it’s the Food Network!

43 Amanda June 30, 2009 at 7:31 am

You crack me up! I don’t watch very much tv because it is so trashy. I usually put my ipod in my docking station, put on a fun playlist, and listen to music when I’m in the kitchen.

44 prettyladycmu June 30, 2009 at 7:50 am

I’m a total sucker for reality TV, especially in the summer – light TV to go with the warm weather πŸ™‚ So I default to shows like the Real Housewives, Biggest Loser, etc.

45 Megan June 30, 2009 at 8:27 am

I watch a few shows in the summer that might perk up your DVR a bit. . .

The Closer – on TNT with Kyra Sedgwick. Entertaining characters and usually a good crime-solving story.

Monk – on USA with Tony Shalhoub. It’s about a brilliant detective with OCD. It’s the last season, but they often show repeats if you are new to it.

Psych – also on USA. Entertaining with a fake psychic who solves crimes. I also think James Roday and Dule Hill aren’t bad to look at either. πŸ™‚

Guilty Pleasures:
Tori and Dean – Home Sweet Hollywood. As a huge original 90210 fan, I can’t get enough of her reality show.

18 Kids and Counting – I am always amazed at how these people manage with 18 kids. Really amazing.

Just my 2 cents. Hope you find something you like!

46 Stephanie June 30, 2009 at 8:38 am

I agree w/ some of the previous comments– summer is a great time to catch up on other shows you missed!

I like going to the library and getting full season dvd sets of shows I always wanted to see, but missed or didn’t have the channel. I am currently working my way through the L Word. So good!

47 Victoria June 30, 2009 at 9:14 am

Ha. My 16 year old sister and all her friends are highly addicted to that show. I love jicama. That rice idea sounds perfect for summer.

48 Christy June 30, 2009 at 10:32 am

We don’t have Showtime but everyone tells us how good the show Weeds is, so we started renting the DVD’s to catch up. We are hooked! It’s a great show and we always have something to watch at night.

As for Amazing Grass, I tried the Chocolate Superfood smoothie and it tasted great! Not grassy at all. However, the chocolate bar tasted so bad I choked on it. Just my two cents! Happy Tuesday!

49 Amy June 30, 2009 at 10:55 am

Well, I don’t know what “types” of shows you watch but: The Cleaner, Saving Grace, Royal Pains, Burn Notice (however this show is one of favs partly because I get to envy Miami when I watch (I live in Boston) and I loooooove me some Florida! Um, lets see…

Not sure if you have premium channels but of course: True Blood, Weeds, Nurse Jackie …

Oh, and if you have an on demand type thing you can also watch episodes of Sons of Anarchy and Swingtown.

50 Jaime June 30, 2009 at 11:08 am

Another vote for True Blood. I was on the edge of my seat waiting for it to start up again. Entourage starts up next month too.

And for some completely mindless watching…Big Brother!!

51 anne June 30, 2009 at 11:31 am

Since you’re having trouble finding entertaining TV shows this summer why don’t you play some fun jazz music while you cook dinner? I love cooking to music! Also, you could check out some books from your local library to read in the evening.

52 Lisa June 30, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I would highly recommend Burn Notice. I love the actor who plays Michael Weston! Royal Pains is a new show right after Burn Notice that is showing some promise. You could always catch up on shows like Nip/Tuck, My Boys, Life, reruns of Gilmore Girls, Biggest Loser… all that fun stuff.

53 Tiffany June 30, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I actually am loving summer tv this year. I came late to True Blood, but LOVE it. Absolutely get the first season and then dive into the second. Weeds is great and hilarious. So You Think You Can Dance is wonderful and seriously inspires me to get to the gym. Army Wives is good and there’s old seasons to catch up on too. I don’t actually have TV at all, so I get all of these online from various sources.

54 Natalie M. June 30, 2009 at 5:55 pm

So you think you can dance is totally worth watching. I agree with Tiffany with jumping on the True Blood bandwagon.. if you liked Twilight this will make you forget all about Bella and Edward.. its like Twilight after Edward gets to third base and other crazy crap happens in Forks.. LOL think sex, mayhem, and a little southern hospitality.

It’s amazingly awesome!!! I’ve read the books the show is based on… and Alan Ball was fantastic in recreating Charlaine Harris’ vision. I would get Season 1 on Netflix first before you jump into Season 2.. don’t spoil it for yourself.. it is addicting

55 Sarah June 30, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Love So You Think You Can Dance… summer tradition for us. We’ve also been watching Kings on Saturday night (back eps. available on Hulu). And Netflix… love the instant watch… we’ve also been going through The West Wing, starting with season one… it’s great not to have to rely on just what’s on tv.

56 Laura June 30, 2009 at 6:37 pm

HAHAHA i just read the part of this post about secret life/tv shows. I COMPLETELY agree, those kids are horrible actors. Seriously…HORRIBLE. Here are some shows you MUST watch:

True Blood-I agree with everyone who mentioned this earlier. Its seriously good and seriously addicting.

Weeds-Hilarious. and Very creative. Mary Louise Parker is a PHENOMENAL actress.

Californication- David Duchovny rocks. Great show. Awesome characters.

I would recommend watching these on your computer from Watchtvsitcoms.com. I’m seriously OBSESSED with this site. Haha sorry I just wrote a freaking novel about TV shows but I’m into acting so I take my shows very seriously! Hope this helps! love the blog btw…

57 Melissa June 30, 2009 at 7:21 pm

You absolutely NEED to watch So You Think You Can Dance!!!!! OMG, love that show and we always go to the tour they go on when they’re in Milwaukee!!!

58 Kara June 30, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Hey- I love your blog! I would highly recommend Rescue Me (FX). Hilarious/crazy/sad…it’s an awesome show, and underrated, I think. Check it out!

59 Maddy July 1, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Kath is completely right! NYC Prep is so addicting! I love it. You have to watch it! haha