Brunch

by Meghann on June 28, 2009

This morning I did something I don’t think I have done in two years… I slept in until 9:30!

I know.. Shocker! πŸ™‚

Of course I did have to let Abbie out at 7:30 and reply to some text messages at 8:30, but besides that I was in bed with my head to the pillow until I had to get up at 9:30. It was a great start to a very indulgent and relaxing Sunday. πŸ™‚

The indulgent part of today was definitely at its peak when Derek and I met Jenna and Ryan for Brunch at Jackson’s.

DSCN1740.JPG

Jackson’s is a beautiful, classy restaurant right on the water.

DSCN1726.JPG

The four of us sat outside and had the most beautiful view as we enjoyed our brunch.

DSCN1728.JPG

DSCN1729.JPG

We were lucky it was still early in the day and the full heat from the sun had not yet reach its full potential. We enjoyed a gentle water breeze the entire meal.

The brunch buffet inside was amazing and spanned across an entire room.

DSCN1730.JPG

Jackson’s had so many brunch options to choose from it took Jenna and I a good 10 – 15 minute before we brought our first plate back to the table.

DSCN1732.JPG

My plate was pretty full with an egg white omelet, fresh fruit, a mini waffle w/the most amazing strawberries, smoked fish and a cheese blitz.

Like I said there were so many great choices that I had to go back for a second plate!

DSCN1733.JPG

THe second plate had a second mini waffle, more fresh fruit, a freshly carved slice of ham, donut hole, hashbrowns, and a piece of tuna.

I liked Jenna’s philopsophy of brunch. Technically you are eating both breakfast and lunch in one serving so we just considered the first plate ‘breakfast’ and the second plate ‘lunch.’ Makes sense, right? πŸ˜‰

I liked our server she made sure we did not miss the dessert portion of the buffet that was hiding in the bar area.

DSCN1736.JPG

She highly recommended the bread pudding so I had a small serving with a small brownie, cookie and scoop of vanilla ice cream.

DSCN1737.JPG

It was at this point during the brunch that I realized I should have been taking pictures of the guys plates as well, to compare the differences in our approach to the buffet. While Jenna and I kept our plates pretty light with nothing too heavy on it, the boys had plates filled to the max with sausage, gravy, bacon, steak, hash browns, biscuits, etc. It was night and day. πŸ™‚

Derek managed to sample every dessert offered. πŸ™‚

DSCN1738.JPG

And Ryan’s ‘dessert’ plate was loaded up with waffles, french toast, donut holes and all the amazing toppings that come with it.

DSCN1739.JPG

Everyone left very full and satisfied. It was a great Sunday brunch and we all agreed to do it again very soon.

DSCN1735.JPG

I was STUFFED getting in the car and the best thing to do when you feel stuffed is to get out and walk around. So that’s what I did. πŸ™‚ The brunch gang headed to Hyde Park to do a leisurely stroll through the shops. I mainly did some window shopping and after an hour of walking my food belly was already depleting. Got to love shopping exercise. πŸ™‚

After we said our good byes to Jenna and Ryan – Had a great time with you guys! – Derek and I headed to the cutest puppy store to play with puppies.

DSCN1741.JPG

DSCN1742.JPG

Derek has been on contemplating adopting an English Bulldog and they has the cutest one for sale.

DSCN1748.JPG

This little buddy was perfect… too bad he was $2900!

Derek plans to research rescue groups and private breeders in his area, but I think playing with the puppies today made him really excited to bring home his own little guy.

The drive back to Orlando was luckily uneventful. It felt great to get back home and do my prep work for the upcoming week. The weekend just goes by way too fast!

I finally started to feel hungry around 7:00 and quickly pulled together a nice light dinner.

DSCN1749.JPG

I had a simple platter lunch with the almond butter as my star ingredient.

DSCN1750.JPG

Around the plate I had Tempeh….

DSCN1752.JPG

Mary’s Gone Crackers & Cantaloupe….

DSCN1754.JPG

Carrots & Broccoli.

DSCN1753.JPG

Yes, I dipped everything in the almond butter and Yes, it was amazing.

This weekend went by much too fast! At least I have a short week ahead with an exotic getaway waiting for me at the end of it!

Countdown to Cruise – 5 Days!!! Woo hoo!!!

1 Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 28, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Do you eat the tempeh raw or do you steam it first?

2 Angela June 28, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Please, please, please encourage Derek to NEVER buy a puppy from a pet store. Most of the time these puppies come from the most horrible puppy mills you can imagine. Rescue or a local shelter is definitely the way to go. There are PLENTY of purebred dogs out there that need rescuing!! Love your blog!

3 HelpMeghanRun June 28, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Woohoo for the cruise! πŸ™‚ Where are you going?

HelpMeghanRun.com

4 allijag June 28, 2009 at 9:31 pm

you are holding a little lando look alike πŸ™‚

5 jocelyneatsfresh June 28, 2009 at 9:55 pm

you lucky girl..where are you going on the cruise!?!?!? I MISS CRUISE LIFE..seriously 3 weeks of bliss..Norwegian cruise line was so fun.and I loved travelling around the southern carribean πŸ˜€ Hope yours is just as fun!!! (the food = amazing lol) lots of food babies.

P.s that english bulldog puppy = way too cute to handle.

6 Katherine June 28, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Brunch looks so delicious! It’s been a long time since I have slept in too! It can be so refreshing πŸ™‚

I love snack plates. They are quite regular for me since I am always making dinner for one as well.

7 MarathonVal June 28, 2009 at 10:20 pm

I’m still apprehensive about this whole veggies-and-nut-butter thing…. but I keep seeing it so maybe I should stop being a fraidy cat and try it already!

8 Niki June 28, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Mmm brunch looked very yummy! Yay for a cruise! Sounds exciting! And those puppies are adorable!

9 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 28, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I’m so jealous you’re going on a cruise! I’ve never been on one.

10 Sara June 28, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Ahhhh, those puppies are SO cute!

11 leslie June 28, 2009 at 11:40 pm

i’m a firm believer that almond butter is good on anything and everything!

that brunch looks a-mazing!

12 Courtney June 29, 2009 at 12:36 am

Wow, that buffet looks amazing! Haha, boys will be boys, won’t they? :] I had never thought about getting a little walking exercise after eating a big meal – how silly is that? Without a doubt, I’ll start doing it!

13 smallchangesaddup June 29, 2009 at 1:21 am

Brunch looks great there aren’t enough brunch places in this country. So it’s always something I do when I’m in America! Definitely the best meal of the day!

14 paula June 29, 2009 at 6:25 am

Here goes my Public Service Announcement…while the puppies in pet stores ARE cute, please do a little research into where they come from. Buying one only supports the horrible puppy mill industry. Just Google puppy mills for some eye openers. I hope Justin will strongly consider rescue, or if not, can find a good, reputable breeder.

(Sorry if I sound preachy, but this subject is near and dear to my heart and I HAD to say something).

Brunch looks fantastic!

15 paula June 29, 2009 at 6:26 am

^^Ok, who’s Justin?! I’m so sorry! I meant Derek.

16 Mica June 29, 2009 at 7:38 am

Those puppies are pretty cute, but please remember that almost all pet stores that sell puppies have some kind of shady dealing with a puppy mill, oftentimes masquerading at reputable breeders. Bulldogs especially have a ton of health problems that need to be carefully avoided in breeding, so Derek is way, way better going through an individual breeder with a health guarantee and some sort of “take-back” clause in case anything should go wrong with the puppy.

Okay, I know I sound like I’m standing on the world’s biggest doggy soap box, but after doing a ton of breed research about brachycephalic breeds like bulldogs, I’m really paranoid about the entire process.

17 Susan June 29, 2009 at 8:13 am

You’re going on a cruise?? My face is so green with envy right now!! πŸ˜›

English bulldogs are the sooo cute. Just don’t let him name the dog Winston, too cliche!

Cantaloupe in AB sounds delish, must try that!

18 Paula June 29, 2009 at 8:13 am

Right on, Mica. Also, Meghann, I was wondering, and obviously this is none of my business, but it’s worth some food for thought, if a bulldog is a good choice of breed for Derek? He seems like such an active guy and a bulldog in the Florida heat is not going to be able to do a whole lot with Derek. A short walk during the hot months would probably be pushing it. Just a thought that a more active breed would more suited to Derek’s lifestyle.

NOW I’ll shut up. πŸ˜‰

19 Red Head, Yellow Dog June 29, 2009 at 8:22 am

I totally encourage you to look into rescue groups. You can often find groups that are devoted to a particular breed. There are so many amazing dogs out there that need homes!! And don’t rule out mutts..they can be some of the best dogs!! but of course I’m still partial to goldens πŸ˜‰

20 Pearl June 29, 2009 at 9:02 am

haha i’ve noticed how men and women have a different approach to eating, even if it’s all from one platter of food!

21 Amanda June 29, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Your brunch buffet is good practice for the cruise!! Cruise food = gluttony if you let it. I’m sure you will have fun pictures of the he eats/she eats.