Garage Sale, New Shoes and First Juice Experience

by Meghann on June 27, 2009

A little birdie had told me there was this kick ass garage sale happening on the other side of Tampa this morning. Apparently, it was a must see event. There were rumors of sweet vegan treats freshly baked by one of my favorite professional blogging chefs for sale. And who am I to turn away from such amazing goodies?

DSCN1667.JPG

Before the rain poured down I managed to make it out to see Jenna in all her glory as she sold her wonderful vegan treats at her parent’s garage sale.

She had Vegan Blondies, Cupcakes and Cookies all beauitfully plated and ready to be eaten.
DSCN1661.JPG
I had one Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcake while chatting with Jenna and it was of course amazing. πŸ™‚

DSCN1665.JPG

Despite the rain, Jenna’s family’s garage sale was a huge hit. Dozens upon dozens of customer pulled up and shopped in the rain just in the hour I was there. I have to say there are some die hard deal hunters out there!

It was great to catch up with Jenna as well. We dicussed Healthy Living Summit details and upcoming races. Jenna has agree to run the Miracle Miles 15k with a few other bloggers and I in September! I can’t wait for race season to start up again here in Florida. Taking the summer off from racing is tough.
I had brought Abbie along to the garage sale and she had a ball running around with Micky and Miken.
DSCN1662.JPG
DSCN1663.JPG
The three of them just kept chasing each other in a circle over and over again around the house. The good part is this led to Abbie looking like this in the car.
DSCN1670.JPG

She couldn’t keep her eyes open, she was so pooped! I owe Micky and Miken a big thanks for wearing Abbie out! πŸ™‚

We had made plans to head to a local dog beach today, but the rain cancelled those plans. Instead we headed to International Mall for a great lunch and light shopping.

The mall actually had some great choices for lunch including Too Jays Deli which has a menu that would make anyone happy.

DSCN1672.JPG

I was very intrigued when I read about the Vegetable Reuben Ciabatta. I love traditional reubens with all the sauerkraut and was hoping this dish would be similar to the original.

DSCN1673.JPG

I asked for no butter on the bread, no peppers and the dressing on the side.

DSCN1675.JPG

It was not exactly what I was picturing. I guess I was picturing fresh spinach and mushrooms pilled high with saurkraut and swiss cheese? It was so-so. I mean it was good, but very greasy.

The sandwich came with a lovely side of fresh fruit.

DSCN1678.JPG

I ate all of the fruit, ignored the dressing and left behind a few bites of the sandwich.

DSCN1674.JPG

After lunch was did a little shopping and explored the great mall.

The main reason I wanted to visit this particular mall was to check out the running store Fit2Run Jenna had highly recommended. I desperately was in need of new running shoes and knew this would be a great place to purchase a new pair.

It was love at first sight with Fit2Run. The store was stocked with all my favorite running gear and the majority of the wall around the store was filled with nothing but beautiful running shoes. I especially loved all of the inspirational running posters hanging from the roof.

DSCN1683.JPG
DSCN1679.JPG

A Fit2Run employee immediately asked to help me and I launched into details of what type of shoe I was looking for, my running style, and the type of training I was planning on doing in them.

He then had me stand on some sort of machine that detected where I bare all my weight in my feet. From this image he determined I have a very high arch and that when I stood still I evenly distributed my weight in my forefoot and heel.

Next I ran on this nifty treadmill while a video camera filmed my feet.

DSCN1684.JPG

From the video he determined my legs run pretty straight and that I run on the front of my feet. It really was not until Derek stepped on the treadmill next that I noticed how much different my running style is then his. You could see Derek’s whole foot hit the treadmill as he ran, while my heel never touched the ground. I was literally running on my toes.

The employee informed me that Derek’s style of running is actually how a person usually runs regularly. To obtain my running style I would have had to train myself to do so. He said there is nothing wrong with running on the front of your feet and it’s just another style. I also asked him if it was maybe my high arches that caused me to run this way, but he said it was unlikely as when I am standing still the weight is evenly distributed on the balls and heels of my feet.

So, basically somehow I subconsciously trained myself to run on the front of my feet. Very interesting.

With my stye of running he suggested I run in a light, neutral shoe. I highly agreed as thats the shoes I prefer to run in anyways. He also tried to suggest some orthotics to support my high arches, but I was just not a fan of running in them.

I proceeded to try on multiple types of shoes and styles. Each time I put on a new shoe I would complete a lap around the track in the middle of the store.

DSCN1682.JPG

After trying on several pairs of shoes I happily left Fit2Run with a new pair of Saucony Progrid Triumph 6s.

DSCN1685.JPG

These shoes were very thin and light and my favorite by far of all the shoes I tried on.

DSCN1695.JPG

It doesn’t hurt that they were a pretty blue either. πŸ˜‰

The shoe store also had a wonderfully inviting Smoothie & Juice bar up front that I had been eyeing during the whole sales process. On the way out of the mall I just had to try one of their vegetable juices.

DSCN1687.JPG

I have been very jealous of everyone’s wonderful vegetables juices I have been eyeing on so many blogs lately. I had never tried a vegetable juice before, but was dying to try one. All the choices seem great, but I had no clue where to start. Having never had a vegetable juice before I didn’t know where to start.

After the juicer recommended The Green Thing cucumber, celery, parsley, carrots & spiriuna I decided to give it a shot.
DSCN1688.JPG
With a name like green thing I was little surprised it was orange.

Derek had a sip and gave the juice a big thumbs down.

DSCN1689.JPG

He did not like the strong carrot flavor.

I really wanted to like it and had to give it a so-so.

DSCN1690.JPG

I decided to try sipping on the drink on the way home to see if I would develop the taste, but it got to the point and where I was cringing as I was about to drink it. I ended up pouring 3/4 of the drink down the drain. Yuck.

The flavors just did not mix into anything exciting. The carrot was too strong, the cucumber did not taste right and I could distinctly taste the celery and I don’t even like celery.

I decided the veggie drink also reminded me a little too much of milk. I strongly dislike the creamy thick texture I have found in every milk I have tried whether it be cow’s milk, almond milk, coconut milk and so on. The vegetable juice had the same thick creamy texture as milk and was giving me the same curdling in my stomach thoughts.

I am not giving up on vegetable juices yet, I think I just picked a bad combination. I think next time I want to try one with ginger in it to see it give the drink the kick it was missing.

After reading up on my vegetable juice experience does anyone have any recommendations on what I should try next time?

1 frenchybelle June 27, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Looks like such an awesome time!! All those baked goodies!! and that REAL juice place, how awesome! You rock!!!

2 biz319 June 27, 2009 at 6:35 pm

What a fun day – garage sales rock! That shoe store sounds amazing – was the foot thing free? What a great idea because then you would always get shoes that fit how you run!

Not a fan of veggie drinks – I kind of throw up in my mouth a litle every time I see one of you guys drinkng the green monster! πŸ˜€

Happy Saturday!

3 RunToFinish June 27, 2009 at 6:49 pm

yeah I”ve decided that celery is a little intense for me in the smoothies.

I totally live in the wrong state all you fun people are in FL and CA!!

4 Erin June 27, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I’d try one with apple and ginger and something green. I’m not huge on carrot juices. It took me a while to find what I really like. I love them with lots of lemon. The citrus ties it all together for me, but it depends on your tastes!

5 Becca June 27, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I’m really surprised there was absolutely no fruit in your juice! I’m all about veggie juices when I can get them, but I always make sure there’s at least one fruit to add something sweet and cut down on the “liquid veggie” taste.

Awesome shoes, too!

6 jaweber June 27, 2009 at 7:00 pm

LOL. I loved those pictures of our beasts chasing each other!!! I’m glad you liked fit 2 run! Ryan has banned me from that store. We are getting ready to go out for bbq–wish you were with us and not at the stinky rays game!!! haha

7 Tasha June 27, 2009 at 7:15 pm

That is awesome that you got meet Jenna! AND at a garage sale, no less! πŸ™‚
Like others have stated I like to add some fruit in my veggie drinks – apple is a pretty good start. I would do a little research, buy some produce and start juicing!

8 Dori June 27, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Try a juice with apple, cucumber, spinach, parsley, kale.. the apple sweetens it up! I also use celery which I hate but can never taste it with all the other flavors

9 Isha June 27, 2009 at 7:22 pm

This post just made me so excited to go running shoe shopping! I’m going to a store with a similar set-up, as far as I know. It sounds like fun!

10 caronae June 27, 2009 at 7:25 pm

I had an apple and carrot juice the other day that was really good. I think juices just need a fruit to sweeten them up. Gina’s always seem to have a fruit in them…

11 Tay June 27, 2009 at 7:29 pm

I really have no juice recommendations, but I gotta say I’m jealous of that store! It looks awesome sine it’s so important to be fitted on so many different factors (obviously – by running style, arch, where you put most your weight, etc). Hope the shoes work magic for ya!

12 Evan Thomas June 27, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Just today I made myself an Orange Monster and loved it, I’m posting it up the blog tomorrow. It’s just 6oz carrot juice, 140 grams frozen peaches, and 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt, and it tastes like a creamsicle. If you’re a carrot juice/peach fan, it’s definitely a must

13 Meganerd June 27, 2009 at 7:51 pm

I was just in Fit 2 Run on Thursday! LOL… I love that store! πŸ˜€

14 Kelsey June 27, 2009 at 7:51 pm

i love that second poster!!! its so true….
i once tried carrot juice because i love carrots so much. yeah, that was about $3 down the drain :]
glad you found some super sweet shoes for more running domination!!!

15 leslie June 27, 2009 at 7:58 pm

great running store experience. it looks like fun!

i definitely think apple is key when you’re first trying juices. it gives it that sweetness so the veggie taste isn’t as strong.

16 Amy June 27, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Hey – I KNOW that those shoes are good for you!! I’ve been running in the same ones for the last 5 months and I run on my toes/my entire foot does not hit the ground with each stride. I have high arches and wondered if I was running “wrong.” I asked some running store ‘pros’ about it, and got the same answer. Apparently, the best way to run is the way that is natural and comfortable to you. I was also told I’m a very efficient runner — so I wouldn’t worry about running differently!

17 Ariel June 27, 2009 at 8:19 pm

I have the same Saucony running shoes! I’m on my second pair and I just love them. They feel so much softer and lighter than anything else I’ve tried. And I like the pretty color, too. πŸ˜€

18 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 27, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Sorry the sandwich wasn’t what you’d pictured– it LOOKS good!

19 Niki June 27, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I thought I was the only one that runs on my toes/balls of my feet. Like you said, my heels literally never touch the ground! I have high arches too so maybe it does have something to do with that! I will definitely have to try out those shoes!

20 Whit June 27, 2009 at 9:03 pm

ICK! I have no suggestions on straight vegetable juice. I hate celery, so I am always leery of a juice with that in it. I usually have a combo of fruit/veggie juice. My fave is carrot and apple.

21 Meg June 27, 2009 at 9:11 pm

What a fun day! Jenna’s treats look so yummy!

Cool new shoes and what a great store!

22 jane June 27, 2009 at 9:27 pm

i have those shoes! yay!

23 Matt June 27, 2009 at 9:50 pm

What a fun day! I wish we had running stores like that around here!

24 Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm

AWWWW!!!! We had similar first green juice experiences! We should both try again one day… after our palates recover!

25 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health June 27, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I tried a juice with carrot in it too today and that is all I could taste. I ended up tossing it as well. I am not giving up either! LOL

26 Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write June 27, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Carrot and ginger are amazing flavors together. You might try that w/out the cucumber in there. Cucs have a pretty strong flavor to me.

Love your new shoes!

27 Danielle C. June 27, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Interesting that a drink with the name green would be orange, I wonder if they screwed up and put too much carrot in it?

Tired dog = happy owner. πŸ™‚

28 Anneliese June 28, 2009 at 1:42 am

Hi Meghann! I would recommend trying a juice with beets in it. They add just the right amount of sweetness and are a pretty purple. I’m not suite if I’ve commented before, but I just wanted to let you know that it’s wonderful! Thanks for the great ideas!

29 Susan June 28, 2009 at 7:32 am

Wow, that looks like an amazing running store!!! A track AND a juice stand?? πŸ˜› Sorry your first juice experience wasn’t the greatest. Maybe try one with a little fruit in it next time to ease into it?

That is such a cute picture of Abbie. It’s adorable when dogs starts to fall asleep standing up.

That pic of the russian dressing almost made me gag. I don’t know what it’s made of, but it has always sketched me out…

30 Nicole June 28, 2009 at 9:24 am

Maybe try one with fruit in it next time? I’ve juiced one..I made carrot/apple/beet juice and I think I overdid it on the beet. It was groooooooooss!

31 Kelly June 28, 2009 at 9:50 am

Your next juice should be a simple combo of carrot and apple…very good!

32 jenny June 28, 2009 at 4:50 pm

i agree, i don’t like veggie juice either. I tried it twice and both made me gag although the first one with beets was a little better. Oh and the celery definitely ruins the juice.

I am on the track team and my coach is trying to train us to run on our toes. She said we run faster that way but unfortunately, i don’t naturally run that way (like you!) and it feels a bit uncomfortable.

i love the shoe store by the way!

33 Amy C. June 28, 2009 at 8:07 pm

That shoe store looks awesome! Wish they had one around here like that. As for veggie juice… I like anything that has apple, ginger, and beets. Maybe something that has that and carrot? I think my favorite combo is the same one Jenna has mentioned before.

34 Andrea June 28, 2009 at 11:48 pm

I would say the parsley and celery ruined your juice. But, I’m biased because I can’t stand parsley πŸ™‚ We never do straight veggie juices – we always mix veggies and fruit. Carrots are pretty sweet, but not sweet enough to overpower the strong, earthy, flavor of celery and parsley. I’m glad you’re still willing to give it another go!

35 Andrea (Off Her Cork) June 30, 2009 at 11:58 am

Awesome new kicks! And how cool does that running store look? Man I would be all over that!

36 Natalie M. June 30, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Next time you should totally try a combo of apple, ginger, beet, pear, carrot and a shot of wheatgrass… its yummy in da tummy!

Also, pineapple, carrot, ginger, wheatgrass, and spinach is pretty tasty… I think the ginger and wheatgrass give this one an extra umph