All 3 Levels

by Meghann on June 23, 2009

Call me crazy, but this morning I had the bright idea to do all 3 levels of the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred at once!

Talk about a work out! I was sweating up a storm and screaming at Jillian towards the end. I never realized how truly difficult level 3 was until I did it back to back to the other 2 levels. Talk about intensity!

If you have not given it a shot already and have an hour to spare, I would highly suggest doing all 3 levels in one session. I would definitely call it a rush!

After working up a sweat it was nice to cool down to a refreshing bowl of cold cereal.

CIMG6794

CIMG6797

I love how summery my bowls of cereal are, they compliment the summer weather perfectly.

Vacation Reflection

As everyone read and saw in my NC posts, my family likes to see and do as much as possible during vacation. And anyone who knows me in real life can finally see where I get it from. My weekends are always filled to the brim and are booked months in advanced. I hate sitting still and I want to make sure I live every moment of life to the fullest. I grew up with the notion that being lazy is bad and going outside and exploring is good.

North Carolina was a very active vacation. I would work out before breakfast, do water sports the remainder of the morning and then hike the rest of the afternoon. Despite the chocolate, ice cream, beer and  southern food, with this regiment I actually managed to lose a pound or two while on vacation. Leave it to my family to actually return from vacation weighing less then when we left!

What I’m trying to get at it the key to a healthy, balanced life is the ability to both indulge and enjoy vacation while picking fun active activities that don’t feel like work, but are FUN! Spend the weekends hiking, going out on the boat or playing sports with the family.  That’s all it takes! I am so lucky to come from a family who loves to do all these things and our vacations tend to revolve around them. The best part is I still felt like I had a relaxing vacation and was able to unwind. It’s all about balance and its something anyone can achieve. 🙂

1 Meg June 23, 2009 at 9:02 am

Wow! All 3 levels! You rock!!

2 Amanda June 23, 2009 at 9:11 am

Whew! I have done Levels 2 and 3 back to back, which is pretty tough! Once it comes to those “rockstar jumps” at the end, I am cursing Jillian under my breath!

3 Kristin June 23, 2009 at 9:11 am

Girl – all three levels!! Insane!! Good for you!

4 prinny June 23, 2009 at 9:18 am

I totally agree with your vacation reflection. I got back from my vacation in California 2.5 three weeks ago, and I actually lost weight as well while I was there – just from wakeboarding everyday and working out a lot (which I enjoyed so much, because I actually had the time to do it and not rush it like I always do at home), and while indulging in loads and loads of food and drinks.

5 jessica June 23, 2009 at 9:18 am

oh my gosh you did all 3 levels?!?! Wow thats awesome!!! Now I feel bad about rolling over and hitting snooze when my alarm went off at 530 am. Sorry running.

I’m glad you have a great vacation! Balance is what life’s all about… you worked hard but you still played hard. 🙂

6 Christina June 23, 2009 at 9:19 am

I love how your family enjoys being active together. It sounds like the perfect vacation to me! I’m definitely trying to incorporate some more fun active activities into my free time this summer.

7 Whit June 23, 2009 at 9:20 am

Your vacation looked like so much fun! You made me want to explore my state a little more. I live in NC and have never visited a lot of those waterfalls. I see some hiking weekends in my future!

INSANE workout this morning! You go!

8 smallchangesaddup June 23, 2009 at 9:23 am

I wish my family were more like that, but they’re more of a sit-by-the-pool all day type! But to be honest I’ve been going on less and less family holidays now, so it’s my responsibility to encorporate exercise into my vacations. Yours looked so much fun!

9 Rose June 23, 2009 at 9:25 am

Wow! I can’t believe you did all 3 levels – that’s inspiring!

I loved the way your family vacationed, probably because that’s how my family does it too! Sometimes I worry because my boyfriend is very much into the “sit around and relax” types of vacations – along with weekend. I much prefer being on the go. I hope we can work that out!

10 Melissa June 23, 2009 at 9:30 am

haha, I have done it all together a few times. Actually, I got it on christmas, and I did all three that day, but I took a break between 2 and 3!

Great job!

11 brandi June 23, 2009 at 9:36 am

i just got the Shred dvd a few weeks ago, but haven’t tried it yet. sounds like all 3 is a crazy workout!

great vacation reflection – balance + enjoying my life is what I strive for 🙂

12 kristi (sweet cheeks) June 23, 2009 at 9:43 am

That sounds like an insane workout!! Thats awesome that you did it though!!

13 Mel June 23, 2009 at 9:47 am

Your vacation reflection is great- and very true! Thanks for posting that. Your breakfast looks so fantastic!

14 Lea June 23, 2009 at 9:54 am

chyeah work it like a rockstar!!!

great minds think alike cause last night i also did all 3 levels back-to-back-to-back. i was disgustingly covered in sweat. to my surprise, i wasn’t sore when i got up this morning.

i love how you jam pack your weekends with mucho activity. you truly are living life to the fullest. go you!!!

15 jentrinque June 23, 2009 at 9:55 am

AHHH! All three levels of the Shred at once??? I don’t know about that, but maybe someday I’ll give it a whirl!

16 Tanya June 23, 2009 at 10:08 am

Wowza – 3 levels is fantastic! I’m like you on vacation too – go go go – but there are times when I love the sit around and read type of vacation. Sometimes it’s nice to just relax and think and do nothing (for me 🙂

17 Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 23, 2009 at 10:20 am

You are a WARRIOR!!!!!! GRRR!!!! Game face on!

18 leslie June 23, 2009 at 10:41 am

i am definitely calling you crazy for doing all 3 levels! but really, that’s a great idea.

couldn’t agree more with your vacation reflections!

19 Danielle C. June 23, 2009 at 10:45 am

Great reflection on your vacation, I couldn’t agree more! I’ll say it again, your pics were amazing!

20 biz319 June 23, 2009 at 10:46 am

All 3 at once – your crazy!! 😀 (and maybe I am just a tad jealous I can’t do that yet!)

21 Stacey June 23, 2009 at 10:46 am

Whoa–doing all three levels in one day sounds like hell (and heaven too) 🙂 I bet that was an awesome workout! I can barely get by level one, lol

22 homecookedem June 23, 2009 at 10:49 am

Wow, I’ve done Levels 1 and 2 back to back before, but never tried Level 3!

I love your vacation reflection. I try to stay as active as possible too, but also like to relax my bones a little b/c afterall it is vacation! 😉

23 ksgoodeats June 23, 2009 at 10:55 am

Way to go with the workout!! I like your vaca reflection – a good balance is something I try to obtain. I find that one vacations I’m just naturally more active since I’m walking everywhere and exploring the new city.

24 Niki June 23, 2009 at 10:57 am

I think you are totally right with the vacation reflection. Balance is key! And great job on doing all 3 levels of The Shred! Sounds killer!

25 Yasmin June 23, 2009 at 11:00 am

I just started Level 3 and my shoulders and arms are screaming!! Maybe one day I’ll work in all three. I can’t imagine right now though!

26 N.D. June 23, 2009 at 11:30 am

whoa!! I don’t think I would have had the motivation for that!

27 Ada June 23, 2009 at 11:34 am

You have such a great attitude about exercise. It shouldn’t be about HAVING to do something, it should be about WANTING to do something.

28 BethAnn Caputo June 23, 2009 at 11:34 am

Hi Meghann…my family is the exact same way. I can never sit still! I love it though…I feel like I experience life differently than people who sit in front of the TV all the time. I actually hardly ever watch TV and I’m usually only home to eat and sleep. What was the name of the place you went on vacation to again?

29 Julia June 23, 2009 at 11:51 am

yay for active vacations! My favorite vacations are the most active ones too! why travel all the way to a cool location just to nap/relax, right? I’m glad you had fun!
I used to do two levels of Jilian because one wasn’t long enough for me. Three would be pretty tough!

30 Run Sarah June 23, 2009 at 11:54 am

All 3 levels? That is intense! My parents are older and my mom not able to be as active as she’d like to be with high-intensity activity. But I’ve neer gained weight on vacation because we walk everywhere! We get to see more, save money of $ transportation and stay active.

31 Nicole (dishin') June 23, 2009 at 11:57 am

I totally agree with your comments about balancing your life. My family is very similar to yours – people see us as go, go, go but really we just like to be active and try new things.

PS – I can’t believe you did all three levels of 30 Day Shred. I’m impressed! I hope you’re not too sore tomorrow…

32 Matt June 23, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Sounds like a good vacation! You gotta find some time to relax too…

33 Pearl June 23, 2009 at 12:06 pm

WOW! you are a superstar, doing all three levels!

34 Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write June 23, 2009 at 12:07 pm

You are lucky. Growing up, my family was pretty inactive. I’ve had to learn to pave my own path to healthy living, but its been worth it. Trial and error has taught me so much. Have a great day!

35 joelygolightly June 23, 2009 at 12:23 pm

WHOA all 3?!

36 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 23, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Nice reflection 🙂 I prefer lots of action too. My parents visit an island every year and my dad is like me in that he can’t sit still so he is always doing the water sports or playing volleyball or whatever is going on.

All three levels?! Yikes! I just purchased the DVD this weekend and I have yet to try it!

37 j June 23, 2009 at 12:42 pm

hey, i have been reading your blog for a while and am truly inspired by you so inspired that right after i read your post i did all three levels of the shred it was tough and i was a huge sweaty mess by the end but right now i feel so good, thanks for being and inspiration to everybody!

38 Kaolee June 23, 2009 at 1:07 pm

This Jillian workout sounds really intense. I want to try it!

39 Stacy ( Eating To Live Love Laugh Tri) June 23, 2009 at 1:20 pm

I am with you on the active vacations. I don’t think I have taken a vacation in the past few years that didn’t center around a race or some other athletic activity. I think it is definitely the way to go!

40 mayapamela June 23, 2009 at 1:51 pm

All 30 day shreds at once? Crazy! Sounds like a great vacation, water sports are so much fun!

41 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 23, 2009 at 4:00 pm

All 3 levels in a row?! That sounds like torture. I like your vacation reflection, though. I’m glad you feel good about your choices.

42 Courtney June 23, 2009 at 5:58 pm

You’re awesome! I have only done Levels 2 & 3 back to back! WOWZA. Would you consider starting at Level 3 and then working down? Hmmm, I think I MUST DO THIS!

43 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 24, 2009 at 10:03 am

I went to New York in March of this year and it was my first active vacation, which was a welcome change from what I am used to. We walked around a lot and I utilized the hotel gym, which allowed me to enjoy authentic New York bagels and pizza 🙂 I think I lost a pound that week too!

44 postcollegecook June 25, 2009 at 1:01 am

I am exactly like you when it comes to constantly being active – and I know I totally got it from my family too! My husband is not like that at all, so it’s been an interesting transition to married life.

{ 1 trackback }