more ยป" />

The Long Road Home

by Meghann on June 20, 2009

10 hrs of driving + 5 people + 2 dogs + cramped space + loads of luggage = Boy am I glad to be home!

I LOVED vacation and I miss the mountains already, but boy does that long drive home sure suck! I guess its the price we pay for all the fun we were having.

It was pretty sad to pack up and leave the cabin this morning. I wish I could stay here all summer!

CIMG6641.JPG

I feel like there was still so much in the area that we had yet to see and do.

CIMG6642.JPG

Bye bye Lake Toxaway!

Somehow we overstocked on bread this week, so my sister came up with the brilliant idea to make french toast for breakfast this morning to lighten our load.

CIMG6637.JPG

She dipped two pieces of whole wheat bread into a mix of egg whites, milk & cinnamon then lightly pan fried in a light coating of oil spray.

CIMG6640.JPG

I then topped it with 1/2 a container of Blueberry Chobani and some fruit salad I made this morning of all the remaining fruit in the fridge including Mango, Orange, Strawberries, Blueberries, & Watermelon.

I loved this breakfast and thought it was the perfect last meal on the lake.

After breakfast we packed up the cars and hit the road.

CIMG6643.JPG

After a full week of non-stop adventures the dogs were great and spent the majority of the drive asleep or on the verge of sleep.

CIMG6681.JPG

I thought Scooby looked Dazed and Confused in this shot. ๐Ÿ˜‰
CIMG6660.JPG

During the first half of the drive I pulled out two raw cookies courtesy of Blue Mountain Organics.

CIMG6644.JPG

I didn’t really care for the chocolate chip cookie as it had a bit of a fruity taste to it. I ate half and gave the other half to Abbie.

CIMG6645.JPG

I much preferred the chocolate one, which reminded me of the raw chocolate brownies I have enjoyed in the past.

CIMG6647.JPG

Abbie was eyeing for more cookie.

CIMG6649.JPG

With all the good and bad ‘fast food’ options along the way, my family compromised on Chick Fil A for lunch.

CIMG6664.JPG

I was always a big fan of Chick Fil A growing up and can’t believe it has been almost a year since I last had it. It goes to show you how much I now avoid fast food and how much I really don’t miss it.

Honestly as far as fast food goes, Chick Fil A really does have some great ‘healthier’ food options that I was really pleased to discover.

My Sister and I both ordered the Chargrilled Chicken & Fruit Salad. I was blown away on how colorful and vibrant it looked in its little plastic container.

CIMG6665.JPG

The salad came with a big pouch of Berry Balsamic Vinaigrette that my sister and I split and still had remaining dressing left in the pouch.

CIMG6667.JPG

It also came with a pouch of Granola that made a great addition to the salad.

CIMG6668.JPG

All together.

CIMG6669.JPG

The salad tasted very fresh and flavorful. I could not have been more thrilled with Chick Fil A and will remember this salad next time I am on the road and need good food quickly.

Of course you can no get Chick Fil A and not steal one or two fries from someone else’s meal. ๐Ÿ˜‰

CIMG6666.JPG

For my lunchtime dessert I enjoyed a Salt Water Taffy.

CIMG6671.JPG

I took full advantage of the long drive and caught up on a lot of work on my laptop.

CIMG6659.JPG

I also used the nifty book option in my IPhoto program to create really cool albums of both my North Carolina vacation and San Diego marathon.

CIMG6657.JPG

I can’t wait to order them and have the hard copies in my hands. As a former scrapbooker, I really enjoyed the ease and customization of the program. I also loved the fact I did not need internet access to create the albums. ๐Ÿ™‚

Around four I felt snacky and nibbled on two Blueberry Pistachioat Cookies.

CIMG6675.JPG

I then read over 300 pages of Eclipse.

CIMG6683.JPG

These books are just as good the second time around! ๐Ÿ™‚

My family were listening to the 7th Harry Potter Book on CD during the drive and it really had me aching to read those books again as well. After I finish re-reading the Twilight series I have full intentions to re-read the 6th and 7th Harry Potter books before the next movie comes out. You think I can pull all that reading off in less then a month?!? I do love challenges…

By the time we made it back into the great state of Florida just after 5:00 I was already ready for dinner. We were sooo close to my parents so I dug my face into my book and ignored my tummy until we were about an hour away and I couldn’t take it anymore. This is when i got the great idea to go ahead and call the pizza delivery place so the pizza would arrive the same time as us.

My plan worked and 5 minutes after we got home the pizza arrived as well!

CIMG6691.JPG

I had three tiny slices of the Vegetarian Pizza.

CIMG6696.JPG

I had asked for light on the cheese, but I think they misunderstood and gave me extra cheese instead. ๐Ÿ™ I need to start ordering pizza without cheese instead of just ‘light on it’. It always makes the pizza extra greasy and I would rather have none then a ton.

CIMG6697.JPG

With the pizza I had some Greek Salad.

CIMG6694.JPG

I was starving, so the dinner did the trick. But I made the 45 minute trip to my place after I ate and the greasy pizza did not sit well at all in my stomach during the drive.

It does feel good to finally be back in my apartment. I have SOOOO much stuff to catch up on tomorrow, including about a hundred e-mails to respond too. I also have big plans of getting a run in in the morning.

My alarm is set for 6:00am and my legs are already itching to move. Yay!

1 biz319 June 20, 2009 at 10:23 pm

It’s always sad to pack up after a great vacation like you did – but at least you have one more day to chilax before getting back to the grind.

Good heads up on the pizza! ๐Ÿ˜€

2 jocelyneatsfresh June 20, 2009 at 10:34 pm

sounds like quite the day! your doggies are adorable ๐Ÿ™ and despite the cheese..that veggie pizza looks good! Have fun at work this week! ๐Ÿ˜€

3 Kimberly June 20, 2009 at 10:34 pm

I am really impressed with the Chick-fil-a salad!! It just goes to show you that healthy options are available even at fast food places..you just have to make the effort and look!

4 Robin June 20, 2009 at 10:54 pm

What a beautiful place you were at! I’m reading the 7th Harry Potter book right now – I got it about a year ago but just haven’t gotten around to actually reading it!

5 bobbi June 20, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Yes I too order no cheese for that reason ๐Ÿ™‚ So glad you had a wonderful trip! Love the T-Shirt, Hubby accidently shrunk mine, not sure I will ever be able to wear it unless I want to look like a hoochie! LOL oh and I need to play with that program, I keep saying I am going to scrapbook Boston trip but I dont have the time!

6 Erica June 20, 2009 at 11:35 pm

ughhhh its so hard to come back from vaca- the drive seems 20 times longer. Glad you had such a good time though. So glad some of the fast food joints are offering healthier options these days.

7 Courtney June 20, 2009 at 11:36 pm

Whooo, 10 hours in the car! If I didn’t get car sick, I think being on my macbook or reading would help while away the hours …

I just checked out iPhoto for the option to make a book – I’d never seen that before! Very cool :] I’ll have to remember that for the future when I get a better camera!

Have a great run manana!

-Courtney

8 Kim June 20, 2009 at 11:55 pm

I think Chick Fil A must be a Southern thing… everyone I know from Florida LOVES it, and I just don’t get it!

Two word for those 10-hour roadtrips: CROSSWORD. PUZZLES. ๐Ÿ˜€

9 Run Sarah June 21, 2009 at 12:05 am

I loved going to Chick-Fil-A when I visited Florida! I wish I could read in long car rides – I always get car sick.

10 Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 21, 2009 at 12:06 am

OMG I have GOT to start re-reading my Harry Potters again before the new movie comes out in a few weeks!!!!

11 Island Girl Eats June 21, 2009 at 12:09 am

Welcome home! I loved all of the pictures from your vacation. Nature is just so beautiful!

12 Danielle June 21, 2009 at 12:48 am

Aw, well, glad you made it home in one piece… sounds like a fantastic vacation.

13 Alison June 21, 2009 at 12:57 am

I’ve decided to re-read the entire Harry Potter series every summer. I started about 4 days ago and have already finished the first two. You just can’t put them down! I definitely think 6 and 7 are manageable. Maybe more!

Which is your favorite? My favs are 3 and 7.

14 Pearl June 21, 2009 at 2:14 am

i’m glad you had a wonderful vacation!

15 smallchangesaddup June 21, 2009 at 3:55 am

I find the same thing with pizza. I used to love it and eat it all the time, but when I changed my eating habits I pretty much gave it up completely. When I had some last week it just made me feel so sick, I don’t think my stomach’s used to it anymore.

Glad you had a good vacation – and you’ve got the cruise still to look forward to as well!

16 sarah (ghost world) June 21, 2009 at 5:57 am

i agree that chick-fil-a’s salad is actually quite good! a great road food option.

17 Meganerd June 21, 2009 at 6:25 am

Ugh… the drive home always seems the WORST!

I go to chick-fila on campus a lot…. I haven’t ever gotten that salad – I’ll have to check it out!

have fun moving your legs this morning ๐Ÿ™‚

18 leslie June 21, 2009 at 7:42 am

the trip home from vacation is always killer – nothing to look forward to! hope you get all caught up today. and have fun on your run!

19 Niki June 21, 2009 at 8:04 am

Glad you had a great vacation!! I love Chik-Fil-A! Have fun on your run in the morning!

20 Ada June 21, 2009 at 8:11 am

I’m glad that you had such a great trip! It looked like it was a ton of fun ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Susan June 21, 2009 at 8:22 am

Haha, that’s not a cabin, that’s a house!!! ๐Ÿ˜› 10 hours in a car sounds rough… hopefully you’re not too stiff. I want to re-read the last two Harry Potter books too, but i don’t think I’m going to make it before the movie comes out. Plus, I find I’m always disspointed by movies when I read the book directly beforehand. Hopefully this way it won’t ruin it for me!

22 Kaye June 21, 2009 at 8:28 am

Wow! 10 hours in a car in one day…yikes…you and your family deserve a reward ๐Ÿ™‚

I am currently reading the Twilight series for the 1st time…on New Moon and I’m really enjoying them. I have NO doubt that if you want to read those other books, you can do it! I love to read and when I am engrossed, the world can pass me by ๐Ÿ™‚

Hopefully getting back into the swing of work and such won’t be too tough!

23 Nicole June 21, 2009 at 8:38 am

I wish I could read in the car! That’s intense ๐Ÿ˜€

24 CalliNae June 21, 2009 at 8:54 am

I just learned about that handy Iphoto feature the other day. I built an album, but haven’t printed it yet. Let me know how yours turn out!

25 Casey @ Double Scooped June 21, 2009 at 9:07 am

Ahh it probably feels great and terrible at the same time to be home. It’s always really hard for me to come home after an amazing vacation with people I love!!

Plan something fun for tomorrow afternoon/evening to get you psyched for the week =)

26 Meg June 21, 2009 at 9:34 am

WOW! That is definitely a long drive, but you sure made good use of it!

I could stay at that lake all summer too! It looks fabulous!

27 Kelsey June 21, 2009 at 9:35 am

the vacation looked like it was a blast! i’m glad you had so much fun!
i’m re-reading twilight and harry potter 6 at the same time, and then will most likely move on to new moon and harry potter 7 sometime soon! i have faith in you, :]

28 melruns June 21, 2009 at 10:44 am

yummy yummy food! good job making smart choices when you could and balancing it w/ indulging.

it’s so helpful that your family is supportive of your choices! often when i’m out w/ friends and order a salad, i get look from everyone at the table.

to each his own!!

29 melruns June 21, 2009 at 4:39 pm

to each his own!!
Oops…forgot to say great post! Looking forward to your next one.

30 Melissa June 21, 2009 at 6:17 pm

all meals look delish! welcome home and very impressive blogging on vacay!

31 Jeri June 22, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Oooh I love vacays, but the ride home is always brutal! I re-read all the HP books around Xmas in prep for the new movie, and couldn’t believe how much I had forgotten! I read the Twilight books right after and am already itching to re-read them. I thinking in October so it’s really close to the New Moon release. ๐Ÿ™‚

32 Molly June 22, 2009 at 4:45 pm

I’m suprised no one mentioned this.. chocolate is poisonous to dogs. I doubt the small amount did anything to Abbie but you shouldn’t feed it to her. FYI ๐Ÿ™‚