more ยป" />

Lots of Waterfalls

by Meghann on June 17, 2009

The one sad downfall to being tucked away up in the mountains is the lack of running trails in the vicinity. Our cabin is on a very windy busy road full of blind turns and no shoulders. I have to say I am dearly missing my beloved running shoes, but my sister and I are making due.

This morning we turned to Instant Play on Netflix and picked an old Jillian Micheals Cardio Kickboxing Work Out to get the blood flowing. It was a non-stop 20 minute workout that relied on good ole fashion play ground moves. If you are in a bind with no weights, I would suggest giving it a try.

Just as the DVD was ending, Dad was calling our names for breakfast.

CIMG6371.JPG

I am really enjoying all of these southern style meals. I could seriously have a biscuit in my life everyday and be perfectly fine.

CIMG6374.JPG

Especially with a drizzle of fresh raw honey to enjoy with it.

CIMG6376.JPG

We also had some Country Style Ham.

CIMG6373.JPG

I rarely eat country ham because it definitely screams heart attack on a plate, but let me tell you how much I LOVE country style ham. It’s a rare treat that I am glad my Dad incorporated into breakfast this morning.

To round the meal out I had some fruit salad with a dollop of plain non-fat yogurt on top.

CIMG6372.JPG

We had big plans today of taking the boat out in the morning and hiking in the afternoon. Unfortunately the cooler weather and dense fog ruined our plans of boating, so we went straight to hiking instead.

CIMG6381.JPG

Apparently dense fog isn’t the best for hiking either.

CIMG6382.JPG

Imagine there are big, beautiful waterfalls behind those clouds. ๐Ÿ˜‰

CIMG6385.JPG

We decided to make our way down the mountain and out of the clouds. On the ride I snacked on a Peanut Butter Z-Bar.

CIMG6388.JPG

Our plan worked and we were able to pull off the road to see Looking Glass Falls.

CIMG6391.JPG

We stopped at the local Ingles to grab essentials for lunch and had a lovely picnic in the trees.

CIMG6398.JPG

My SIster and I flocked to the salad bar at Ingles like flies to honey. I filled up my bowl with some pretty yummy treats including Spinach, Fresh Vegetables, Fresh Fruit, Pasta Salad, a Honey BBQ Boneless Chicken Wing, and a whole lot more.

CIMG6396.JPG

I topped the gigantic salad with a drizzle of the Ginger Sesame dressing.

CIMG6397.JPG

And had a fresh slice of Watermelon for dessert.

CIMG6399.JPG

We then hiked to Sliding Rock for a little post lunch sliding.

CIMG6411.JPG

Sliding Rock is a huge slick rock that kids and adults alike line up to slide down.

CIMG6408.JPG

The water was pretty icy and the rock was a little bumpy, but it didn’t stop us from having a laugh sliding down.

CIMG6410.JPG

CIMG6404.JPG

CIMG6402.JPG

Next stop was Graveyard Fields Trail that featured Lower and Upper Falls.

CIMG6414.JPG

The Lower Falls was a fairly easy .3 mile hike down.

CIMG6415.JPG

Pretty, right?

CIMG6420.JPG

From the Lower Falls it was a 3.2 mile loop to Upper Falls. This hikes was the perfect amount of difficulty and distance to make you feel like you are getting a work out, but not so bad that you want to give up.

CIMG6426.JPG

I had an Apple on the way to the falls.

CIMG6428.JPG

And an Orange Slice at a pit stop we made on the trail.

CIMG6430.JPG

A first we reached the Upper Falls and thought this was it.

CIMG6431.JPG

But then we followed other hikers who climbed up the rock next to the falls and discovered this.

CIMG6455.JPG

Much better!

Abbie tried to keep up with us as we made our way to the top.

CIMG6434.JPG

Check out the view below ๐Ÿ™‚

CIMG6435.JPG

Let me tell you a 3 mile hike is much different then a 3 mile run and all of the energy I was putting out really had my hunger going. On the hike back to the car I had a Trader Joe’s Single Serving Trail Mix.

CIMG6456.JPG

I should have got a picture of how dirty Abbie and Scooby were at the end of the day. I don’t think they minded, but the other 6 people in the car sure did. ๐Ÿ™‚

When we made it back to the cabin everyone was pretty hungry so dinner was quickly thrown on the grill.

CIMG6457.JPG

I had a Hamburger on top of a slice of Sourdough Wheatberry Bread with Salsa.

CIMG6458.JPG

The only condiments we had are salsa and mustard, so I had to be creative with this one. ๐Ÿ™‚ I used the salsa on the burger and the mustard to dip my Baked Potato Fries in.

CIMG6461.JPG

Also on the plate was a little bit of leftover stuffing from Dillard House and some baked okra.

CIMG6459.JPG

The meal really let me satisfied and full. It’s been a while since I had a real burger and I felt it really fit the summer atmosphere of the vacation.

For dessert my sister and I killed the container of Edy’s Slow Churned Cookies n Cream Ice Cream with a piece of Sweet Potato Pecan bread mixed in as well.

CIMG6464.JPG

Great dessert!

Wow, these LONG posts sure do take a while to write. I’m glad you guys are enjoying them! Sorry blogging has been a bit sparatic and I’m a little behind on e-mails. I am just having too much fun on vacation. I can’t believe it’s already half over…booooooo…..

1 Courtney June 17, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Wow, I’m loving how much you’re sharing while on vacation! I was only gone for two days, and I didn’t want to take my laptop out, I was having too much fun! I love, love, love that you’re working out to DVD’s …

Okay, I was wondering (maybe I will email you) but how do you get the balls to work out in front of people, like at home to a DVD? It’s just me and my boyriend, but I am so afraid he’s maybe going to walk in on me one morning when I’m sneaking in a workout before work, and he’ll bust up laughing or I’ll be in some super embarrasing downward dog move that I’ll be stuck in, bahaha …

I’m making a bigger deal then it is – but really, I have to workout at home without the BF around … maybe its because he’s a personal trainer, and I don’t want him to see the shape I’m in, baha … :]

2 Vanessa @ Last Night's Leftovers June 17, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Food looks great! Your hike looks like it was a lot of fun, too. Lucky girl!

3 Amanda June 17, 2009 at 9:22 pm

That hike looked like so much fun! I love hiking because it doesn’t feel like traditional exercise to me. Over Memorial Day weekend, my boyfriend, his dog, and some friends decided to go on a hike when we were on vacation, thinking it would be like a little trail walk. I packed my backpack with beers (hey, we were on vacation!) Little did we know, it was a 2 hour hike up a legit mountain and we had to all share the water we brought for the dog. NO ONE drank beer (which was soooo heavy) and we didn’t bring any food. Hhaa you looked much more prepared ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Bec June 17, 2009 at 9:24 pm

that hike sounds fantastic!

5 Brandi June 17, 2009 at 9:27 pm

what an awesome day! biscuit + honey = makes a good day ๐Ÿ™‚

sliding rock looks so cool and i love all the hiking. We have tons of hiking around here, and I love it. It’s such a great way to get your heart pumping and see some awesome views.

6 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 17, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Amazing photos!! Gorgeous scenery! It must be so nice to be experiencing that with your family!

That’s great you and your sister have found alternatives to running since there are no trails. ๐Ÿ™‚
Running will be that much sweeter once you get home.

The food you ate today all looks soooo good!

7 Meganerd June 17, 2009 at 9:36 pm

That waterfall slide looks super fun!

Don’t worry about not blogging/e-mailing on vacay…. you are supposed to have fun and get away! ๐Ÿ˜€ It is fun to read about your adventures though.

8 jocelyneatsfresh June 17, 2009 at 9:42 pm

looks good! that sliding rock looks sooooooooooo funnn! ๐Ÿ™‚

9 carolinebee June 17, 2009 at 9:52 pm

hiking is soo fun and exhausting!! That’ so cute you can bring Abbie- have fun girlie it looks awesome!! Love the leggings ๐Ÿ˜€

10 Julie June 17, 2009 at 9:55 pm

I love reading about how you are getting your workouts in! I love to workout on vacation because it’s such a change from at home ๐Ÿ™‚
Glad you’re having a fun time!

11 Adi (oatonomy.com) June 17, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Those waterfalls look incredible. Not quite like scenery at the office, eh? ๐Ÿ™‚
Enjoy the rest of your vacation — you still have lots left. Oh, and that picture of Abbie? Too too funny. She looks so happy in that water.

12 Matt June 17, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Sounds like an awesome hike!

13 Pearl June 17, 2009 at 10:13 pm

what gorgeous scenery!

14 Lee June 17, 2009 at 10:16 pm

I think I went to Whitewater Falls last summer with my boyfriend. It’s near the NC/SC border, right?

15 lynetteess June 17, 2009 at 10:25 pm

The scenery is gorgeous. I just love the mountains. Waterfalls always are impressive – even small ones!

16 Kath June 17, 2009 at 10:26 pm

What a fun active day!!

We went to Sliding Rock years ago with my parents and I REFUSED to go down. It was cold and scary and there were fish at the bottom. My whole family said I would regret it forever, but you know what? I DON”T REGRET IT ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Sarah from Tallahassee and Orlando June 17, 2009 at 10:26 pm

So I was just randomly reading all of your vaca posts and…ya’ll seem to be right by my familiy’s cabins!! We are just up the mountain from Cashiers and I have been going to Highlands since I was a kid! And that sliding rock, my dad literally mowed the path to it like 40 years ago…those railings were never there before! Such a small world!! If ya’ll get a chance, you should try to find Dry Falls and Horse Pasture…both really pretty and fun hikes! And Whiteside is a must do…you’ll really get a good workout hiking to the top!

18 Island Girl Eats June 17, 2009 at 10:44 pm

That’s the bad thing about vacations – they have to come to an end! I usually cry the night before we have to leave!!!

19 Hallie June 17, 2009 at 10:48 pm

That’s so cool that you get along with your family so well…when we went on family vacations, we usually wanted to kill each other after the first two days ๐Ÿ˜›

20 TorontoGirloutWest June 17, 2009 at 10:58 pm

LOL I LOVE that sliding rock!!! It looks like a load of fun! ๐Ÿ˜›

Have fun on your vaca!!!

21 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 18, 2009 at 12:20 am

I love sliding rock!

22 MarathonVal June 18, 2009 at 1:00 am

Thanks so much for continuing to post even while on vacation – I’m sure you have fun things you would rather be doing, but I want you to know that we all appreciate it! ๐Ÿ™‚

23 smallchangesaddup June 18, 2009 at 1:18 am

I love hiking as a work out, especially if it involves lovely scenery on the way :). I’ll have to do a search for any hiking trails around here.
And ditto to what MarathonVal said above – it’s great you’re still making time to post, and it’s great seeing all the cool stuff you’re getting up to ๐Ÿ˜€

24 Run Sarah June 18, 2009 at 2:07 am

Your vacation looks like so much fun! That sliding rock looks great too, how cool.

25 Sarah June 18, 2009 at 2:25 am

I want to go on a family vacation! Or maybe its just your family vacation ๐Ÿ˜‰

26 mayapamela June 18, 2009 at 2:55 am

Biscuits everyday sound fine by me…especially with that delicious looking raw honey!

27 jentrinque June 18, 2009 at 6:34 am

I love seeing my home turf on your blog, Meghann! You’re doing a lot more sight seeing than me this year, I’m afraid! But I’m living through you until I get out there!

28 Ada June 18, 2009 at 6:49 am

That slide looks like soooo much fun! Enjoy your vacay ๐Ÿ™‚

29 Mica June 18, 2009 at 6:49 am

Ahh, biscuits and hiking! This sounds like an awesome day!

30 Liz @ intheskinny June 18, 2009 at 6:57 am

I love the pictures of you and your family hiking! Makes me want to get out there! The sliding rock looks like a blast.

31 kilax June 18, 2009 at 7:47 am

That sliding rock is so cool! I love how mother nature makes sure there is some fun for us out there! What a great day ๐Ÿ™‚

32 K June 18, 2009 at 8:34 am

That rock slide looks like a blast!! I’m glad you’re enjoying your vacation!!

33 redheadyellowdog June 18, 2009 at 8:52 am

oh man I love sliding rock!! one of my fave pictures of james and me is from there. SO much fun!

34 Carolyn June 18, 2009 at 8:52 am

Your’e making me so jealous. That is absolute favorite place. My husband and I once worked at a summer camp in Hendersonville for a few months. We went back once for an vacation and now I’m thinking we need to head back VERY soon.

35 Krista June 18, 2009 at 8:58 am

Looks like you’re all having a fabulous time! I’m green with all the beautiful places you’ve been to in the past few posts!

36 Danielle June 18, 2009 at 9:12 am

That reminds me of a place I used to go to in New Hampshire, so much fun! I love sliding down the falls!

37 Whit June 18, 2009 at 9:32 am

I love the long posts! I do loooooonnng posts too.

I’m so glad you are enjoying your vacay to my lovely state!

38 Kelly June 18, 2009 at 9:38 am

That hike was amazing! I wish I could go down that sliding rock, it looks like so much fun! Thanks again for sharing so much info about your trip, I look forward to reading your blog every morning to see what you did!

39 bobbi June 18, 2009 at 10:01 am

what a beautiful place!!!! I love all the pics and southern food ๐Ÿ˜‰

40 meg June 18, 2009 at 10:08 am

Looks like you are having a fabulous time! Look at those waterfalls!

41 Mel June 18, 2009 at 11:13 am

I am loving your vacation!! It looks like you are having a fabulous time and it really goes to show that you can be healthy and get exercise while traveling away from home. I am jealous!! Thanks for sharing!!!

42 Stacy ( Eating To Live Love Laugh Tri) June 18, 2009 at 1:30 pm

That rock slide looks awesome!

43 Julia June 18, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write/share all these great pics! It looks like so much fun. I haven’t had a real picnic in ages; but you’ve just inspired my to plan one soon! (This weekend, I hope)

44 melruns June 18, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Hey Meghann

If you don’t mind me asking–where are you guys staying? I’m trying to plan a small vaca with my boyfriend and there are so many adventures where you are!!

45 melruns June 18, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Hey Meghann

46 Ashley @ On The Rocks June 18, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Looks gorgeous!
And the country ham….yuummmm

47 Kristie June 18, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I support daily biscuits, especially when they look THAT fresh!

That Sliding Rock looks like SO much fun, I’d definitely be all over that again and again. You’re really making me want to go hiking now, it looks like such a good time, fog or shine!

48 Lynn (The Actors Diet) June 18, 2009 at 4:14 pm

That sliding rock looks like a lot of fun!

49 Lindsay June 19, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Loving your vacation pictures! I have to go dig out my own pictures of me on sliding rock as an eight year old now!