Granola Boosts

by Meghann on June 12, 2009

It’s FRIDAY!!! Woo Hooo!!!

This morning I determined I just could not take it anymore and had to get out and run. My leg had not bothered me at all this week and I felt I could handle a quick 4 mile loop.

What I failed to remember is how much I take the ability to run 4 miles for granted. After 2 weeks of rest and recovery I should have started back slowly, especially with the lower part of my right hamstring giving me trouble.

The first 2 miles felt great! I was actually pacing faster then I wanted to, but I think that was my body’s way of rejoicing for allowing it to run. It was when I hit the 2 mile mark that I could feel the tightness in the back of my right leg return. Dratz! This was when I realized I may have been overzealous and should have just stuck to 2 miles. Lesson learned.

I slowed my pace down and babied my leg for the rest of the run. It’s not a pain or anything I am feeling, its just a tightness. During the last 1/2 mile of my run the tightness felt like it had been worked out and my leg felt great again.

I just have to remember to keep it nice and slow for a couple of weeks and cut back on running until its completely healed. Besides that, OMG did it feel great to run again! I am an addict and I desperately needed that fix. 🙂

Again, I could not believe how incredibly fast it was to do my hair this morning. I mean less shampoo, less time to wash, blow dry, flat iron and it still looked just as great as when I left the salon. Totally worth the 4 hours of sitting in a chair. 🙂

Breakfast involved an exciting new sample from MixMyGranola.com

DSCN1598

MixMyGranola.com has launched a brand new line of boosts for their customized granolas.  Each boost or enhancer can be added to your designed mix to address a specific need or achieve a certain result in your diet.

The new boosts include:

• Caffeine Powder
  • Organic Pomegranate
  • Organic Acai Powder
  • Organic Vita Cherry
  • Organic Lucuma Powder
  • + Many More!

To learn more about each individual boost and what nutrition attributes they bring to the table please click here.

The particular mix I was sent contained the Organic  Lucuma Powder which is an excellent source of fiber and beta carotene and the Caffeine Powder for that extra jolt of energy.

I tested out the 1/2 cup serving stop a bowl of Plain Non-Fat Yogurt, Fruit Salad and 1/2 cup of TJ’s Strawberry Yogurt O’s.

DSCN1601

Just as I was cutting up all my vegetables last night, I did the same with my remaining fruit. I made an awesome fruit salad for the road that contains Mango, Peach, Pineapple, Strawberries, Blueberries, Kiwi & Apple.

DSCN1602

The granola tasted great, but I am pretty sure that was a given. As for the caffeine boosts? Well I honestly have to say I am chalk full of energy at the moment with a huge grin on my face. I’m not sure to attribute that to the fact that it’s Friday or the boost, but I feel charged!

Either way since I am not a coffee drinker, I really like the idea of the extra caffeine boosts for mornings when I need the extra push. When it comes time to refill my MixMyGranola.com stock, I can guarantee I would have no problem adding the caffeine boosts to the mix.

Great idea MixMyGranola! And thanks for letting me test it out!

What do you think of the boosts? Would you add one to your granola mix?

1 jentrinque June 12, 2009 at 9:24 am

Hmm, I’m not so sure I’d want caffeine in my granola, for some reason that freaks me out! I am really glad you’re feeling so bouncy, though, I’m sure the run helped!

2 prettyladycmu June 12, 2009 at 9:36 am

I would definitely add the acai or pomegranate, but I think I’d skip the caffeine – I find that even a little caffeine makes me bounce off the walls all day! The boosters are a great idea though.

So glad you enjoyed your run, in spite of the pesky stiffness!

3 Jess June 12, 2009 at 9:36 am

No caffeine for me ever! I’m not really a “boost” person, I like to get my nutrients in real food!

4 Neela Marijana June 12, 2009 at 9:36 am

Hey Meghan,
i have been following your blog for ages and have finally made the decision to comment. i followed you through your triathlons and marathon and i must say that you are such an inspiration. i am planning on running my first half marathon in december and couldn’t be any more encouraged to do so after reading your wonderful blog everyday.
thank you for just being you and sharing your life here
have a wonderful day and i’m sending you loads of sunshine from singapore

5 caitlin June 12, 2009 at 9:40 am

AHHH i had that this AM and i feel like im on crack… in a good way.

6 runnerskitchen June 12, 2009 at 9:42 am

I tried the green tea boost from Jamba Juice and it made my smoothie taste weird (like bitter grass…), but as long as the MixMyGranola boosts don’t contribute a strange taste, I think they sound great!

A morning run + Friday + fruit salad = the start to a great weekend 🙂

7 Biz June 12, 2009 at 9:58 am

I don’t think I would add anything to my mix – I tend to think that stuff is just hype – but hey, if it tastes good, that’s all that matters!

Happy Friday!!

8 Danielle June 12, 2009 at 10:06 am

Congrats on the morning run!

Now… if I may be so honest to admit… I’ve never had granola :0

9 brandi June 12, 2009 at 10:25 am

yay for a run and good job cutting back when your leg got tight – you’ll be back in full running mode in no time 🙂

i think the boosters sound great, but I have to get through my other stash before I order more!

10 ksgoodeats June 12, 2009 at 10:26 am

Glad you had a great run!! Hope you have a fantastic Friday 🙂

11 jocelyneatsfresh June 12, 2009 at 10:29 am

I would love the caffine charged granola!! Too bad they probably don’t send to canada 😛

12 strivingforbalance June 12, 2009 at 10:35 am

glad you got your running fix 🙂 the granola looks great!

13 roseyrebecca June 12, 2009 at 10:42 am

That fruit salad looks great!

14 Jesse June 12, 2009 at 10:46 am

I would try adding a boost to breakfast, I’ve always liked them in smoothies, but like runnerskitchen said, I wouldn’t want it to affect the taste!

I’m totally a running addict too, I get all jumpy and antsy if I don’t get out there. Glad you got to hit the road again!

15 Jenny June 12, 2009 at 10:47 am

that granola is everywhere! I am thinking i might have to try it just to keep up with the bloggers our there! unfortunately the stuff is a little too expensive for my broke butt.. but i’m glad you enjoyed it =) looks awesome in that fruit salad!

16 Meredith June 12, 2009 at 10:51 am

actually i think that caffeine boost in the granola is a really good idea. i usually drink coffee every morning, but when i go on my long runs on saturdays i can’t because i will feel it all sloshing around in my stomach. i think some caffeine packed granola might be the answer, cuz then i could EAT my caffiene! thanks for this awesome idea!

17 Matt June 12, 2009 at 11:12 am

Lol I love caffeine. I drink a cup of coffee every morning to get me going, but I try not to drink it during the day or I will be up all night.

Congrats on the run! Just make sure you stretch and ice and I’m sure your leg will be fine. All runners get sore.

18 Joy June 12, 2009 at 11:14 am

jeez- i think it sounds like a great idea. i think people need to have a little more fun with their food! glad you love your hair- it does look great.

19 Ada June 12, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I’m always a bit skeptical of boosts because they feel so unnatural to me. I always drink coffee anyway so I do not need any more caffeine haha. As for vitamin boosts, the truth of the matter is that your body eliminates the excess vitamins in the form of urine, so they are pretty useless. If you like the boosts though, that’s great.

20 runeatrepeat June 12, 2009 at 12:45 pm

It’s good you took it easy on the run. I’ve always heard the rule is to take it easy on your runs for one day for each mile you raced – 26 miles = 26 days of taking it easy.

21 Run Sarah June 12, 2009 at 1:16 pm

The caffeine booster sounds awesome! Glad you were able to run today!

22 Niki June 12, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Great job on the run!! I would definitely try out the caffeine boost!!

23 RunToFinish June 12, 2009 at 2:27 pm

ohhh i wanna run sniff

24 court2032 June 12, 2009 at 2:37 pm

I just bought my granola with blueberry and caffeine booster! So glad you got a sample so we could hear all about it.

And you inspired me to get my hair cut for the summer and blog all in a few weeks..!!! Thank you!!!

25 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 16, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Since I am trying to cut back on caffeine, I would probably not add that boost to my mix but I definitely love their products and will have to order some more soon 🙂