Another Trip, Another Suitcase

by Meghann on June 11, 2009

In the last two months I have traveled to Tampa, Long Beach, Tallahassee, San Antonio, SanDiego and have made countless overnight trips to my parent’s house.

In those travels I have had to go through the overwhelming effort of deciding what to pack, portioning out snacks, putting toiletries in little Ziploc baggies, dealing with excessive amounts of eating out, forgetting one thing or another and having to unpack and start the whole process over again upon return. Each time I get very excited about taking another mini vacation and each time I forget just how much work these vacations truly are.

As I write this I am in the process of trying to select multiple outfit options for hiking, shopping, lounging, sight seeing, running and sleeping. As well as all necessary accessories and shoe options that go with them. Packing is definitely the most exhausting part of traveling I have learned to dislike in the last month, but it will be worth it to have a week tucked away in the mountains.

Saturday morning my family and I are making the 10 hr drive to North Carolina. My Mom has rented a cabin for all of us just outside Asheville and as much as I have traveled in the last two months, this will be the first time I am actually on vacation. Sure there will be plans of what to see and do, but this time the agenda is a guideline, not a given and hopefully multiple swimsuit and sun exposure will be involved. 🙂

As I daydreamed about my impending vacation at my office I fed the hole that was my stomach some PistachiOats I found in my pantry.

DSCN1586.JPG

I almost forgot these babies were in there. I found a whole box of them while I was doing laundry and discovered the expiration date is coming up fast.

DSCN1588.JPG

Luckily they are very yummy so it shouldn’t be a problem to eat as many as possible before their past due.

When it came time for dinner I wanted to make something that would use up the remaining vegetables in my fridge and make great left overs to eat on the road. Insert favorite stand by – Roasted Vegetables!

Does anyone else LOVE cold roasted vegetables?!?! I think they will make a great lunch on the road trip. 🙂

I basically emptied the fridge on this one and made enough to feed an army!

I cubed:

• Rutabaga
  • Eggplant
  • Sweet Potato
  • Cauliflower
  • Onion
  • Apple

Then added them all to a baking sheet with a little S&P & Fresh Cilantro then roasted at 400 for 20 minutes.

DSCN1589.JPG

I put most of it in the fridge for lunch tomorrow and my upcoming road trip.

I saved a serving size for dinner while looking to pantry and fridge for inspiration. I was trying to avoid my habit of just adding marinara sauce and a protein and calling it a day, but honestly its one of my favorite combos and who am I to deprive myself of one of my favorite combos?

DSCN1592.JPG

Atop a bed of Spinach I layered the Roasted Vegetables, Tempeh, Marinara Sauce and Jalapenos.

DSCN1594.JPG

Mmmmmm…. yep you can’t go wrong with that combo. I cleaned my plate. 🙂

I came back to the kitchen an hour later and had the other half of my Green & Blacks Dark Chocolate Bar from Tuesday night.

DSCN1597.JPG

After an hour of trying to pair outfits, I have come to the conclusion I own no cute clothes. Is it too late to do a little vacation shopping? Maybe I can squeeze some in during my lunch hour tomorrow. 😉

1 Meg June 11, 2009 at 9:18 pm

You are quite the traveler! What a yummy dinner! 🙂

2 jocelyneatsfresh June 11, 2009 at 9:24 pm

ahhh have fun!! lucky girl!
mmm I had some g and b tonight too…2 lil ol squares..but so good 😉

3 jentrinque June 11, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Awesome! Where are you going to be in NC? I live half an hour outside Asheville and it is so gorgeous here! I’m sure you’ll have a great time!

4 Erin June 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm

my problem is that as soon as i buy new clothes, all my old ones just aren’t good enough anymore. then i constantly wear the new stuff that i like SO MUCH. then i realized i’m wearing the same thing all the time, so i have to go again. and by the time the shopping trip is over, all that stuff i was just in LOVE with isn’t good enough anymore now either! hahah vicious cycle 😉

5 prettyladycmu June 11, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Cold veggies are so good!! You could always shop your way to North Carolina 😉

6 Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) June 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Oh yum…I love roasted veggies, and that combination of vegetables sounds perfect. Good stuff! 😀

7 Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) June 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I love cold roasted veggies! I bought some roasted veggies at Whole Foods last Friday, got them home, and gobbled them all up without ever heating them. YUM!!

8 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health June 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Love roasted veggies. Have a fun trip!

9 Adriana June 11, 2009 at 11:28 pm

I think the fact that you are being picky with your clothes has a lot to do with you going on vacay with a boy…;) LOL Don’t worry, I was the same way when I took trips with cute guys!

10 sweetandnatural June 11, 2009 at 11:43 pm

I just went to Asheville over Memorial Day weekend!!! My bf’s parents live there so we visited. I fell in love immediately – it’s such a cool, hippie-ish, green, granola, outdoorsy, mountain town. Try The Laughing Seed – vegetarian restaurant – and Mamacita’s – awesome fast food Mexican with really fresh and interesting ingredients! I want to go back now! E-mail me if you want some other ideas. 🙂

11 biz319 June 12, 2009 at 12:30 am

Um, you had me at pickeled jalapenos! I love North Carolina – when I was younger we vacationed at Nags Head for several years – jealous!!

My daughter is the best packer – I haven’t packed for myself (or her!) for at least 5 years!

12 Hallie June 12, 2009 at 12:36 am

LOVE roasted vegetables…but I’ve never thrown an apple into the mix. Don’t think the boyfriend would go for that 🙂

13 Megan June 12, 2009 at 1:00 am

good luck on that 10 hour drive!! later this summer me and my dad are driving 20 hours down to florida.. that should be an adventure! have fun on your vacation.. that’s definitely a great excuse to go shopping!

14 Run Sarah June 12, 2009 at 2:26 am

Have a great time! I love roasted veggies but don’t make them often enough. I am not a big packing fan either, I always pack too much or too little!

15 Meredith June 12, 2009 at 6:55 am

I live about an hour and a half from Asheville. I lived there for 3 summers. It’s a really cool city, very hippie. While you’re there check our Earth Fare. There are 2 locations in Asheville. It is kind of like a southeast version of a Whole Foods. There are tons of places to go hiking or creek walking. Be prepared for cold water!

La Paz is a local Mexican restaurant and comes highly recommended. I have yet to eat there but I hear awesome things about it. Mellow Mushroom is a hippie pizza place that is really good, the service sometimes isn’t but the pizzas are great!

Have fun!

16 Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 12, 2009 at 7:47 am

Cold Roasted Veggies are the BEST! I love to roast broccoli, brussel sprouts, carrots, grape tomatoes, onions, and cauliflower and eat them cold stuffed in a baked sweet potato. HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!! (full on, clouds opening up and angels singing)
Have fun on your trip! After traveling constantly for 2 years it only takes me 5-10 minutes to pack. There are some advantages to being forced to live out of a suitcase! 🙂

17 redheadyellowdog June 12, 2009 at 8:43 am

My parents moved to Asheville when I was in college and I lived there for a year after I graduated (now live in Chapel Hill getting ready to start law school in the fall 🙂 ) Asheville is AMAZING!! I really cannot gush about this place enough. When my parents told me we were moving from Miami to some town with 72,000 people in the mountains, I thought they were nuts but there is just SOMETHING about Asheville. Please tell me if you need reccomendations for hikes, restaurants…anything! my boyfriend grew up in Asheville so he can help too 🙂

I highly reccomend going to the drum circle in downtown asheville on friday night. it’s what made me fall in love with the place..so many different people coming together to form this community! love it. Enjoy!!

18 Ada June 12, 2009 at 9:01 am

I love cold roasted vegetables too, especially portobello mushrooms! They taste great cold in a sandwich or salad. Good luck packing!

19 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 12, 2009 at 9:08 am

I am not a huge fan of packing either. It is rather time consuming. I have this bad habit of packing way (way, way) too much. I often get laughed at for my overstuffed suitcase. When we went to my parents’ house for Christmas last year the ENTIRE car was jammed with not only clothes, etc but gifts, my craft supplies, books, workout stuff…it was nuts haha

I hope you have an amazing family vacation!

20 Joanna June 12, 2009 at 9:21 am

Do it! Everyone needs cute outfits for a vacation!

21 ksgoodeats June 12, 2009 at 9:38 am

That meal looks fantastic! You are quite the traveler these days – enjoy it 🙂

22 Melissa June 12, 2009 at 10:28 am

haha, i feel the same way. I have travel plans every weekend from now until July 28th!

23 RunToFinish June 12, 2009 at 1:28 pm

always love to hear with how other people deal with eating out when traveling, so can’t wait to read more during your trip. it’s the only part of traveling i don’t care for

24 lowandbhold June 12, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I loooove packing! It’s a sickness I think. I would probably hate it too though if I had to do it as often as you do.

Your trip sounds so fun!

25 N.D. June 13, 2009 at 11:07 am

These cookies… and your roasted veggies (more so the cookies) look amazing!