My First 5k

by Meghann on June 9, 2009

This morning I awoke and walked the short distance to my apartment gym. The gym is nothing special with outdated equipment and mismatched weights, but it does allow some great cardio alternatives when running is temporarily not an option.

I decided to mix it up with 20 minutes of the elliptical, 20 on the stationary bike and then 10 on the treadmill where I walked an 8.0 incline at a speed of 3.0. I discovered one perk of not running, is the ability to read while working out. I knocked out a couple chapters of New Moon during my 50 minute session.

I know this is my second time reading the series, but its honestly just as addicting this time around as it was the first.

In my continuing effort to eat all of my fruit up before I leave Friday, my breakfast this morning was literally a big bowl of fruit.

DSCN1478

I had

• Cantaloupe
  • Watermelon
  • Peach
  • Strawberries
  • Raspberries
  • Blueberries
  • Kiwi
  • Pineapple

The sad part is that that isn’t even all the types of fruit I have in the fridge! I also have a mango and apples ready to be eaten. I’m telling you, my fridge is overflowing!

DSCN1480

I topped my ginormous fruit salad with Non-Fat Plain Yogurt and 1/2 cup of TJ’s Pecan Praline Granola.

DSCN1481

It was a great refreshing breakfast to start the morning with!

My First 5k….

Back in April I received an e-mail from a reader named Megan who was training for her first 5k and was curious about my first one.

Here is a little snippet of the e-mail:

I am running a 5k next month for my mother who is battling colon cancer. I have been training for about a month and worked my way up to about 3 miles. I was just wondering in the beginning when you started running did you feel like you where going to die?? or did running come easy for you? After the second mile today I was so wiped and I pushed myself another mile but I was hurting! I played sports in high school so I know I can run I am just having trouble getting back into it.

I happily responded with the story of my 5K, because yes one never forgets their first 5k!

My first 5k was the FSU Habitat for Humanity 5k on March 1, 2008. I was planning on running the one that occurred a week later, but at the last minute my sister agreed to run this one with me. She had ran it the year before and didn’t think much of it. She actually arrived at the site that morning a bit hung over!

I was pumped to run! I miss the small races in Tallahassee. We were able to register on site for $10 and could opt out of the t-shirt, which would have been an additional $5.

The race started on the FSU track and circled around the building before making a loop around the stadium and back. I have to be honest, before the first mile I was begging my sister to walk, but she told me to make it to at least the first mile marker. I made it there and then she told me to make it to the end of the parking lot. She kept pushing me but I did walk at mile 1.5 and through both of the water stations along the course.

3.1 miles felt like such a long distance back then! I wonder if I would have told myself back them that I would run 26.2 miles in a faster pace then I finished this 5k, if I would have believed myself.

Alas, I did finish in 33:37. Can you believe I was able to still find the stats online? I was VERY proud of this time and even announced it on my Facebook as soon as I got home. :)

Point of the story… we all start somewhere!

Now I would like to share you the e-mail Megan sent me this week after completing her first 5k.

I wrote to you a little over a moth ago asking about your first 5k! I have been waiting to congratulate you on your Marathon until after my race so I could share a little about my race as well! I am proud to say that I completed my first 5K today in a time of 31 minutes! I basically died the last mile but I pushed my way through and finished without walking (which was my goal). I love racing! I can see why you love it, it is totally addicting! I was just looking at 10K’s in my area for the fall and then I am going to sign up for the Disney Princess Half Marathon in March! So I just wanted to thank you for the kind words about your first 5K. After hearing how much you struggled and that fact that you just completed a marathon I believe that one day I can rock the marathon too! It was a huge accomplishment and  you should be very proud! So thank you very much for making me believe I could do it and I did do it :-) Good luck on your next marathon! and have a good work week!

This e-mail made me smile! :) I wanted to you know, show it off.

Sometimes we forget our roots and just how big of a deal that first race is. We all have that first race that made us fall in love with running or reminded us we can accomplish something when we put our minds to it. We all trained hard and were all proud.

So for those of you who are waiting for that first race, this is my encouragement to get out there and do it! No matter what time you finish in, the point is you finished and did something that others didn’t.

And for all my racing superstars out there.. do you remember your first race? Was it a local 5k or 10k? Did you run it with a friend? Did you train hard? Were friends or family there cheering you on? let me hear it!

1 HelpMeghanRun June 9, 2009 at 8:51 am

Way to go! I remember my first race…the Race for the Cure 5K a while ago. My goal was to finish without walking and if I remember correctly I did pretty well. But my first race longer than that will be my Team in Training half this fall :)

Check out the Adora Calcium giveaway on my blog!
HelpMeghanRun.com

2 Amanda's Eats June 9, 2009 at 8:51 am

I’m so not balanced enough to read while on a treadmill, it takes like all my concentration to stay on the track lol!

Perfect timing on your post for me, I was totally going to email you since I just decided to sign up for a 5k (disney next year) and I really admire you for your running abilities. Thanks for the post!

3 Ada June 9, 2009 at 8:55 am

That bowl of fruit looks divine! You are lucky to live in Florida where there is so much fruit readily available. As for the race I do not run but just completed a swimming race in the Hudson River in NYC two weeks ago. It feels so good to work hard towards something and than actually accomplish it, ecspecially when you do it with friends.

4 Alex June 9, 2009 at 9:05 am

Hey–I just had a thought about the Twilight series. I too am completely addicted to this whole genre and since discovering the TruBlood TV show, i’ve come across the inspiration for both TruBlood and Twilight. Have you ever heard of the Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris? There are like, 7 books… KEEPS YOU ENTERTAINED FOREVER!! I love them sooo much. Anyways, Just thought you might like to give them a go.

Thanks for the post!

5 Amanda June 9, 2009 at 9:11 am

My first race was actually a 10K in a Nature Conservancy. I did it with a friend, and at the time I was contemplating training for a half-marathon. Well, I finished first in my age group (and won a cute little plant!). That is what pushed me to register for the half-marathon! I love races!

6 Anna June 9, 2009 at 9:15 am

My first real race was a 10k with a friend- the Tufts 10k for Women in Boston, which was awesome choice for a first race! I had been running for a couple years at that point, but had never raced before. I ran it cautiously at an even 10:00 pace, but remember feeling like I could have gone a lot faster when I finished! I didn’t run any other real races for 3 years, until I ran a half marathon. Nothing beats that feeling of accomplishment when you cross the finish line!

7 Amanda June 9, 2009 at 9:15 am

My first 5k was Thanksgiving morning 2008. I had just finished couch to 5k a few weeks earlier. My goal was to run the entire race without walking. The race had over 3000 people and I was very intimidated! I finished the race in 39:02 and I was SO INCREDIBLY proud of myself. At that point I had lost about 60lbs and I never thought I could run 3 miles.

Since then I have run 6 other races including a 10k. I ran a 5k two weeks ago and finished in 31:54. I shaved 7 minutes off of my 5k time in 6 months!!

I too have signed up for the Disney princess half marathon and hope to run a local half marathon in october.

8 lowandbhold June 9, 2009 at 9:24 am

Great post! I just ran my first 5K two months ago in 32:12. It was such a rush and I’m definitely going to be running more races. I have a couple more 5Ks planned and a 10K in October before attempting a half in April of next year. I’ve been injured over the past month, but can’t wait to start training!

Your story really is so inspiring, I love hearing all about it!

9 Elisabeth June 9, 2009 at 9:27 am

Man, I totally remember my first 5K! It was in 2003, and I went back home to central NY to run it with my big sister. I am from a very small town, and the race was held there…so, I knew EVERYONE.

When I had about .25 to go, I realized there was a HUGE hill. Standing at the top of the hill cheering me on was my high school gym teacher. LOL…it was like a total flashback to 10th grade or something. I wanted to walk so badly, but knew I couldn’t because SHE was standing there! hahaha…I’m kind of glad she was there…great motivation to keep moving!

I was painfully slow (33:10), but I finished it, and I was so proud of myself!

10 juliegolean June 9, 2009 at 9:35 am

this is such a good post :) i definitely need the inspiration everyday because I’m completely feeling overwhelmed about signing up for the marathon! thanks girl :)

11 runnerskitchen June 9, 2009 at 9:46 am

My first race was the 400m back in high school. I was very worried that I wouldn’t be able to run a whole lap around the track. It’s funny to think about that now, but you’re so right about having to start somewhere!

12 Whit June 9, 2009 at 9:48 am

Great post! I remember my first 5k! It was the Komen Charlotte 5k in 2007. I don’t recall my actual time, but it was in the 30+ range. I was so proud.

I completed my first half-marathon this December and am looking forward to my first marathon this December. You inspire me so much!

13 Raya June 9, 2009 at 9:55 am

I just signed up for my first 5K last week! It’s the Moss Park Forest Run on August 1st, I’m so excited!! I’m doing the Hal Higdon’s 8-week training plan for beginners, even though I do have *some* running experience. I’ve been running sporadically lately due to shin splints (yuck) so I figure it’s best to start back slow. Love your blog, I started one a few months back…check it out if you have time! :-)

Raya

14 Cat June 9, 2009 at 9:56 am

I do not remember my first race at all. I’ve been running with my dad since I was a little girl. He used to run a 3 mile loop and I would run the first 1.5 miles with him and then hop on a bike I had stashed in our neighbor’s yard to finish with him. I know we did a lot of 5K races and a few 10k races, but I honestly had run so many before I even started high school there is no way I could remember.
I wish I had a good story to tell, but I guess getting off on the right foot young was worth it.
Thanks for a great blog!

15 brandi June 9, 2009 at 10:12 am

nice fruity breakfast! I love it.

Yeah, I remember my first 5K – I finished in 33:54 and it was in April 2008. I remember thinking I was going to die! My only goals were to finish, hopefully not be last, and NOT walk. I did it, and then did 2 other 5Ks last year, beating my time both times. I just did my first ever 10K/Trail run last weekend and it was crazy! But I love it. Races are SO fun, and I’m looking for my next one :)

16 hopefulrunner June 9, 2009 at 10:19 am

I remember my first race…it was a 5K and I was so nervous. I trained my butt off and remember how I took it so seriously, I was in the zone at the start line. I ran it (well started it) with two friends, and when the gun went off, I turned up my music and hit the pavement. I finished in 26 minutes, and had only been running for 3 months at that point. I am completely addicted and am now training for my first half marathon on August 1st, and I’m running a 12k this Saturday! WooHoo!
Have a great day :)

17 MaryAnn June 9, 2009 at 10:23 am

My first 5K (or running race of any kind!) was last July (2008). I trained with a women’s running group for 8 weeks leading up to it, using the walk/run method. I was really nervous, and it was a little rainy, but I was determined to go for it. I ran by myself, because I preferred that (even though lots of women from the group were running). My first mile was a 9:13 (waaay faster than I had ever thought I would do!). The last mile was really rough, I think I hit a wall. But I was able to finish strong. My time was a 31:08, and I didn’t walk at all, which I was super proud of. The best part is — my husband (avid marathoner) came to cheer me on and had strategically planned out his cheering route. He wore his running shoes so he could run short-cuts to various points. I think I saw him at 8 different points on the course, cheering me on! It was fantastic. After the race, a lot of people kept talking about how he kept popping up all over the course!

I remember feeling so happy and proud, and like I was officially part of this great community of runners!

18 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 9, 2009 at 10:30 am

It’s so amazing that you went from running 5K last March to running a FULL MARATHON just over a year later!!!!!!!!! Very inspiring!

I remember my first “official” 5K- it was last June when I did the Rat Race here in downtown Toronto. It is basically a bunch of corporates and bankers running in the business district of Toronto to raise funds for the United Way. Great fun!! :-)

I LOVE all of the fruit! I go overboard at markets too! haha

Havea great day!!

19 Justy2003 June 9, 2009 at 10:32 am

I ran my first race last October which was a local 5k. My goal was to finish in under 30 minutes (I’m not a fast runner!) and I met my goal finishing in 28:59. I had trained quite a bit, but shin splints were starting to take their toll on me just as the race was coming up. Luckily I was still able to run it and then just took some time off afterward! Since then I’ve run a half-marathon and am planning on some additional races this fall once the Texas heat cools off a bit!

20 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 9, 2009 at 10:39 am

Meghann, my first 5k was the same day as yours!! It was a nice little loop around downtown Louisville (where I live) and it was so much fun :)

I finished in 30:40 and have since ran several other 5ks, 10ks, 10-milers and a half marathon but you are right, you never forget that first race and how it felt. Great post!

21 Liz @ intheskinny June 9, 2009 at 10:50 am

I love the bowl of fruit! I think you should have a proper name for them – Fruit Explosions. When my brother would come home for a visit my mom would slave away peeling and cutting grapefruit and oranges. My brother would eat most of it in one sitting and his tummy would be so happy. If you say “Fruit Explosions” he gets a crazy, happy look in this face.

I do remember my first 5K. I think I finished right around 31 minutes. I had joined the cross country team my junior year of high school. It was a brand new high school and they needed people. I do remember thinking I was going to die. A year later I ran my fastest time in 25:26. I haven’t run that fast since!

22 theangrydieter June 9, 2009 at 10:52 am

My first 5K was in April of 2008. I had only started running a few weeks before and had to walk several times. I finished with a time around 35 minutes. It was so cold that day (about 39*) and so windy that during one 1/2 mile of the course, you could hardly walk because the wind was coming at you so hard! It was not the best “first race experience!”

23 Bec June 9, 2009 at 11:00 am

Aww what a great 5km story, isnt amazing to be able to see how far you have come?

24 Hallie June 9, 2009 at 11:06 am

I remember my first race…and my second since I’ve only done two! It was also a Race for the Cure. I did it with some friends, and my friend Jenny and I went together the whole time. I ran my first mile too fast and sorta lost steam near the end. We stopped to walk up a hill going on the freeway…you remember the 163 in San Diego, right :-)

I was just proud I finished because I had just started attempting running…and my friends and I had raised over $1100 for the event, which was certainly another feat to be proud of! I think I’m going to do the race again next year…try to beat my time of 36:00, haha!

Your fruit bowl looks AMAZING, btw. Have a good one!

25 inmytummy June 9, 2009 at 11:11 am

My first race was actually a half-marathon. I’m not exactly sure why I started out so big! My dad actually flew to Atlanta from DC and ran it with me. He’d run a bunch of smaller races but this was his longest distance. I finished 1 second faster than him!

26 Matt June 9, 2009 at 11:18 am

My first real race was actually a local 10k back home. I can actually remember my time, 43:03, and it is probably one of the races I’ll never forget. My parents were both there to cheer me on and we had a great time.

27 Sara June 9, 2009 at 11:21 am

All your fruit looks SO good. Yum!

28 Niki June 9, 2009 at 11:23 am

Your fruit bowl looks so good!! I could probably eat my weight in fruit! My first 5k was a local Women Running 5k in September 2005, I think! Geez that seems so long ago!! I ran it in 27 something and was very proud of myself. I had been training all summer! Now, after taking about a year off after my first half (bad decision!) and getting through an ankle injury from soccer, I would love to be able to run that fast again!! I am working on it though!!

29 Holly June 9, 2009 at 11:48 am

Here’s my story… it’s long, so hang on!

My first ever race was a 3k, and I used the Couch to 5k program on a treadmill to get ready for it. My goal was not to walk… but I was going slower than walking while “running” hahahah! I got something like 21 minutes for the 1.8 miles.

Sadly, even though I *loved* racing, I quit running that year (2005) right after the race. A year later, I decided I wanted to do it again and again did the Couch to 5k thing for a couple months. I’d lost some weight in this year for my wedding, hahahah, and I ran it much faster – 19 or 18 or something. But AGAIN, I quit running after that for the year. :(

I didn’t run it in 2007 and I am still sad about it.

In December 2007, I had knee surgery for the second time. I decided that when I rehabed the knee, I was going to do a triathlon. I was most worried about the running. And wouldn’t you know it… that exact 3k came about a month after I was allowed to start running on my knee. I did it in 18 something again. And I’d gotten a fire. I completed three 10k races and two triathlons the rest of that year (we’re in 2008 now).

And in 2009, I BUSTED my time. 15:59 to be exact. And I am addicted to running! This is the year I’m going to do my first full marathon. I’m counting last year’s 3k as the “start” of being a runner, because all those years before when I did the one race and then quit don’t count. Now it’s the real deal. :)

30 Katherine June 9, 2009 at 11:49 am

I definitely remember my first race! I kind of consider tw different races to be my first:

1. Race for the Cure in 1998 – I was in high school, overweight, and had to run/walk the 5k. I think I finished it in almost 40 minutes.

2. Seacoast Half Marathon 2006 – The first race I ever really trained for and I was officially hooked! I’ve run 6 more half marathons and a full since then and I can’t get enough of the random road races on the weekends either!

31 caronae June 9, 2009 at 11:53 am

My first race was the half mile in eighth grade! I wanted to do the mile and the two mile but I always got stuck in the half. I started doing the two in high school though. It was weird, for me there was never really a start to my running. I had always been very good at in gym class, and was a gymnast up until 9th grade, which involved a lot of running. Starting track was pretty much just a continuation of something that had been thrilling for me my whole life! My first 5k was in 2004 when I was 15. I did it in 23 something which wasn’t great or awful for a high school girl. I did a few more 5k’s after that but then I was mostly swimming. I did stay in decent running shape though, and after high school I started mostly running. First (and only) 10k: August 2008, 52-ish minutes (would have been in the forties if it wasn’t 100 degrees and we didn’t have to WALK at the end because the course was so crowded). First (and only) half-marathon: May 2009, 1:58.44. Hopefully there will be many more races in my future, and in yours!

32 aprillove1625 June 9, 2009 at 11:56 am

My 1st race was Race for the Cure in October 2006, a 5K. I didn’t train for it and I nearly died! I finished with a time of 33 minutes, I think. I could barely walk the next day! I didn’t do anything else with running until the Race for the Cure in October 2008! I ran that in about 31 minutes.

I never really liked running and didn’t really start getting into it until this year. My friend and I talked about doing a half marathon one night long ago over drinks. After about 3 cocktails, it sounds like a great idea! It wasn’t until this year that we took the initiative and signed up for one. I turne 30 and that was a big wake up call for me! I’m not getting any younger! Your blog has helped too! I started reading a couple of months ago and your positive outlook and determination is so motivating!

I’m very proud to say I completed my 1st half marathon this past Sunday. I wrote about it here: http://findingfitat30.wordpress.com/ I’ve now gotten the running bug and can’t wait to race again! Never did I think I’d be able to run 13 milies, especially in January this when I could barely run a mile on the treadmill!

33 Julie June 9, 2009 at 12:00 pm

I ran my first 5k last year and came in first for my age group! My time was 25:25. My parents were at the finish and as a plesant surprise, my ex bofriend who I am still friends with, rode his bike down to the finish as well. It has been my first, last and only race…I want to run more, but at the same time I don’t. It’s complicated!

34 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 9, 2009 at 12:05 pm

My first race was a 10K 4 years ago, and it was amazing. Yes, I trained hard for it and ran it with my aunt. I loved every second of it and hope I can enjoy my upcoming 10K just as much this July 4.

35 Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 9, 2009 at 12:32 pm

I have yet to do a race, and I doubt that I’ll ever RUN one. I do want to walk a race at some point soon though!

36 Rose June 9, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Awww! This is great. Congrats, Megan (and Meghann!) and thanks for sharing this.

I ran my first race when I was 15! I was on the Cross Country team in high school. My time was somewhere in the 35 minute range. I almost received last place! But I must admit – it was pretty cool to say that by the end of high school, I shaved off 8 minutes of that time and PR-ed with 27:15.

37 Amy C. June 9, 2009 at 12:41 pm

My first race was a cross country race in the woods when I was a freshman in high school. I think my time was a little over 30 minutes. I was one of the last finishers but I stuck with it and was able to cut my PR for a 5k race in the woods down to a little over 22 minutes! I was pumped. :) Now if only I could get back there….

38 dishin June 9, 2009 at 2:04 pm

This was so nice to read! I ran my first 5k in 2007 for the hospital I worked for at the time. It was painful as I didn’t train beforehand and ended up walking about 3/4 way through then ran again at the end.

I can run much easier these days but only if I keep up with it. If I take more than a week off I sometimes feel that I’m starting all over again.

Meghann, I am so impressed that you ran a marathon. I really need to push myself to run more races at increasing distances. My close friends who are avid runners tell me it’s all in my head (how far I can go) and I’m starting to believe them. I think it’s so important to think positive to keep pushing yourself.

Congrats to Megan too on her first 5k!

39 Talia June 9, 2009 at 2:34 pm

My first 5k was the race for the cure in nyc last year. That was one of the last time I ran, since I tore my meniscus, but since I just had surgery on it, Im looking forward to running again, and hopefully pain free, in this years race for the cure.

40 broccolihut June 9, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I did my first 5K this past March over spring break, and I have done FOUR more since then. Even though the weather totally sucked, I loved the feeling of accomplishment after finisihing. Racing truly is addicting. I look forward to trying a 10K in the future!

41 catruns June 9, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I haven’t run any races yet but i’m registered for the Disney Princess Half in march already! If any shorter races come up locally before then I may well sign up, but I haven’t heard of any yet.

42 Courtney June 9, 2009 at 5:15 pm

I remember my first 5K, it was so amazing! It was the Shamrock Run in downtown Portland, I was so scared yet excited, I couldn’t believe how COLD it was :) I finished in the top 300 out of 3000!

43 Tay June 9, 2009 at 5:41 pm

My first race was a 5k that I ran about 4 weeks before my marathon 1 1/2 years ago. I just randomly decided to run it…but I consider my first race my marathon. Close enough, and it was so amazing!!

44 Allison K June 9, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Ahhh! My first 5k is in two weeks!
I am using the Couch to 5k training plan, and just yesterday, after I ran two miles, I felt like I was going to die! Thanks for the snippet of your email. I’m already excited to get better at running, and I have to admit, I think of you as inspiration all the time!

45 Melissa S. June 9, 2009 at 7:12 pm

i totally remember my first race as a sophomore in high school…first invitiation at milikan park, and ran my first 3 mile race in 28.03. Yeah yeah! and two years after that I ran it in 22.03! 6 minute improvement in two years!

46 Nicole June 9, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Hi Meghann!
My first 5K was in 2004. It was for the local United Way, which one of my closest friends organized. They were in DIRE need of people so I told her I’d do it. Keep in mind, I’ve been “running” since I was 14. I played soccer all through Middle school, high school, and college..but I was NEVER fast. In fact, I was always the slowest one and it always bothered me that I couldn’t get faster. However, I never really knew how to properly train…I just kind of ran because I had to. That being said, I just showed up to the race. I ran it in 29:37 and thought, ehh, that’s alright I guess. I wasn’t overly excited about it and I didn’t really get hooked. I wasn’t as fast as most in my age group and I actually let that deter me. I had an “I’ll never win” attitude and just figured I’ll just run on my own by myself and not worry about time.
Four years later I decided I wanted to start running again for real. (last May) I started lifting and cross training and little by little got stronger and stronger. In October of 2008 I signed up for another 5K just for the hell of it. I ran my little heart out…and when I came around the corner with about 100 meters left I saw the clock…it said 26:15! I was so excited that I sprinted as much as I could and crossed the finish line at 26:38! Three whole minutes faster than my first! This is the race that I really consider the deal breaker–the one that got me addicted…the one I will always remember. I had a smile on my face from ear to ear the entire day. It’s such a good feeling to know you’ve been able to accomplish such a feat, and knowing I was able to improve myself by that much time made me feel even better about myself and what I can do.
Thanks for this post, Meghann, because it reminded me of how important that race was to me…
My next race is a 15K (it’s next month!!) Running that 5K last October gave me the confidence (and the excitement!) to push myself to do more…and reading your blogs has also helped to inspire me. Thanks for sharing your stories! Have a great day!!

47 Megan June 9, 2009 at 9:00 pm

HI Everyone,

Megan here!! Thank you everyone for your kind words! Meghann really is inspiring. I really enjoyed reading all of your stories about your first 5K! Have a great night!

48 caffeinerd September 25, 2009 at 10:41 pm

I’ve been reading for awhile, but decided to search “5K” on your blog since I’m running my first one tomorrow. Definitely an inspirational post :) Like the reader who wrote to you, my goal is just to finish without walking…here’s hoping! And good luck with your race tomorrow!

49 ms October 18, 2009 at 11:31 am

A dear friend and I completed our first 5k yesterday morning as part of the kansas city marathon. We have trained consistently for the past two month, on and off some a couple of month before that. My friend just turned 40 and I am 46. We finished in 33 min and ran the whole race. Our goals were to run and not walk at all, finish strong and not be last! We made it and had a blast reaching our goal. The 5k was not as difficult as we first anticipated. I think as our endurance increased, our goal became much more attainable. Now, we plan to find a 10k and start looking toward that as we train. I have enjoyed reading the comments posted. I don’t have much advice to give being such a newbie other than, running will touch your whole life, not just the physical part of you. You will feel empowerment, confidence, mental clarity and renewed zest for living. Run strong! :)