Marathon Momentos

by Meghann on June 9, 2009

My to do list is slowly depleting itself.

• Buy Cooler
  • Start Laundry
  • Map out road trip
  • Hide Phone in bottom of the purse so won’t be tempted to check e-mail while driving

I was happy to finally have a dry afternoon to place the bumper sticker Caitlin had given me on my car.

DSCN1498.JPG

I’m usually not a fan of bumper stickers, but I felt I earned the right to have this one on my car. :)

When ever I head to a race site and I’m not 100% sure where it is, I always look for cars with running themed bumper stickers to show me the way. Now someone will know to follow me too, though I won’t guarantee I’ll lead them in the right direction. lol

I also got around to framing my Bib & Medal from San Diego.

DSCN1501.JPG

Bobbi’s Husband gave me the idea for this and I thought it was a great one. It’s the perfect way to remind me what I can accomplish when I work hard for it.

DSCN1502.JPG

DSCN1503.JPG

I found this frame at Marshalls for $16! I thought the inspirational sayings went perfect with the marathon theme.

DSCN1505.JPG

My goal is to some how organize all of my race bibs, medals and other paraphernalia in a neat and creative way. Any ideas?

DSCN1507.JPG

Just as my morning flew by, so did the rest of my afternoon. I am getting really excited about all of the headway we are making with the Blogging Summit. We are this close to making official announcements with details!!!

I munched on an Apricot Dried Fruit Leather around 4:00.

DSCN1490.JPG

After running a few errands I was STARVING when I arrived home for dinner. Good thing I had a great meal planned in my head.

DSCN1497.JPG

I have been envisioning this Eggplant Sandwich for a while and was just able to find an evening to make it today. It was really easy and really yummy!

DSCN1495.JPG

I simply grilled two slices of Eggplant on the George Forman then topped one slice with Tomato, Raw Goat Milk Cheese, Basil, Mushroom, & Avocado before broiling it until the cheese melted. One the half was done, I topped it with the other half and sprinkled it with some Balsamic Vinegar.

DSCN1496.JPG

I LOVE this!!! YUM!!!! I think the fresh basil really makes the dish. Each flavor worked perfectly with the other. It tasted fresh, wonderful and reminded me of summer.

With my eggplant creation I steamed some Yuca with a little butter.

DSCN1493.JPG

Yuca was a great starch component to the meal and a little bit of butter goes a long way with giving the yuca just the right amount of additional flavor it needs.

I was craving some Dark Chocolate for dessert. Good thing too, I really need to start eating up my chocolate stash.

DSCN1509.JPG

I always forget about how much chocolate builds up in there over time.

I pulled out a Green & Black’s Organic 70% Dark Chocolate Bar.

DSCN1511.JPG

I ate half and returned the rest to my chocolate stash.

DSCN1514.JPG

My first load of laundry just dinged, I guess that means its time for another one.

Good night!!

1 strivingforbalance June 9, 2009 at 8:41 pm

LOVE the frame!! what a great Idea!!!

2 Bec June 9, 2009 at 8:41 pm

What a great idea, I want to do that with my silver medal, pictures and number from head of the charles!!!!!

3 Amanda June 9, 2009 at 8:42 pm

That sandwich looks great!

As far as organizing your race stuff, I got some really cool white wooden “hanging” shelves … just look like little mantles coming out of the wall (at Bed Bath and Beyond). I got a bunch of those shadow boxes like you used for your marathon stuff and put everything in there. At the rate you’re going, you’re going to need a whole room for your stuff!! You could also put together a scrapbook with bibs and photos – that would be cool!!

4 Melissa S. June 9, 2009 at 8:59 pm

um, how have you not eaten that chocolate stash yet? mine is gone, and i got it like, two days ago?! hahaha

5 Rose June 9, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Great idea for the bib!

6 Victoria June 9, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Cute framing job.

That dinner looks amazing. So creative and fresh looking.

7 prettyladycmu June 9, 2009 at 9:04 pm

That sandwich looks delicious and I love the framed bib/medal – it looks even better than the professional versions races charge for!!

8 Alison June 9, 2009 at 9:05 pm

OMGoodness that is a GENIUS sandwich idea! Did you eat it like you would a sandwich or did you cut it with knife and eat with a fork?

9 Meghann June 10, 2009 at 8:50 am

I ate it with a knife and fork :)

10 runandrejoice June 9, 2009 at 9:10 pm

I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOUR BUMPER STICKER! I am running my first marathon in November, and you better believe I will be sporting one too!

Also, I absolutely love the frame idea, I hadn’t even thought of that !

I have a ton of race bibs on a bulletin board too, but a better display/organization of them WOULD be nice…I’ve been playing around with the idea of silk screening them on to a quilt, but that is $$$ for sure!

11 Matt June 9, 2009 at 9:12 pm

I like the frame!

I keep all my running medals and trophies on my counter so I can see them all the time :)

12 Meganerd June 9, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Hmmm… I’ve seen alot of people do bulletin boards… but I hung mine straight on the wall!! I actually wrote about it and took a picture… here’s the link to it

my mom has done more marathons than i can count and she has some sort of little medal tree thing that she hangs them on. She also made a quilt out of all the t-shirts! Just some ideas…

13 Mica June 9, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Ooh, I love your shadow box idea! I’ll have to remember that if I make it through Chicago alive…

14 Amanda June 9, 2009 at 9:21 pm

I am not a fan of bumper stickers either but whenever I see a 13.1 or 26.2 sticker on the back of a car I just cant help but smile! I cant wait to sport my own!

Your eggplant sandwich looks so good and such a great idea!!

I love the frame idea for your bib & medal! My dad was a long time runner and ran the NYC marathon year after year and he would pin all of his bibs together and write the date & time on the back. It got so long after awhile! I do the same thing with my bibs :)

15 Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 9, 2009 at 9:22 pm

I love the frame for your bib and medal, thats really cool! I would say for your others, do a similar thing but with one of those frames that kind of attaches together… or, get big poster frames and make a collage of some sort!

16 Lauren @ Team Giles June 9, 2009 at 9:30 pm

I adore the framed bib and medal! and you so earned that bumper sticker!

Maybe you could start framing your previous runs and have a wall full of your journey from 5k to Marathon :)

17 HelpMeghanRun June 9, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I have often seen a sandwich with eggplant *in* it but never with eggplant as the sandwich itself! Great idea that I am bookmarking :) And how about a nice shadow box for all the running stuff?

Check out the Adora Calcium giveaway on my blog!
HelpMeghanRun.com

18 verbalriot June 9, 2009 at 9:37 pm

I’m also not a fan of bumper stickers, but hell, if I ran a marathon, I’d totally put that right on! :)

Awesome eggplant sandwich!

19 kath June 9, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Love that sandwich idea!!

20 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 9, 2009 at 9:58 pm

What a great idea with the framing of the medal and bib!

I love the bumper sticker too!

Have a great night!

21 hoya chica June 9, 2009 at 10:13 pm

you may or may not want to answer this question: how much do you spend on groceries per week? I eat similarly to you-heavy on the fruits/veggies, little meat, organic when possible- and will be purchasing food for myself for the first time soon (I’m in college and used to “steal” copius amounts of fruits and veggies from the dining hall to make my own food in my apt. This coming year I won’t have a dining hall meal plan!). I don’t want to skimp on health, but I also don’t have a money tree.

22 Meghann June 10, 2009 at 8:34 am

It depends. Sometime I spend $50-$60 a week on groceries and sometimes its only $20. If you do your homework right and only buy what’s in season or on sale then keeping ina budget is no problem. Good luck!!

23 jody June 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm

im not a fan of bumper stickers, but that one is quite amazing!

i dont have any super good ideas for organizing all those bibs and medals… but a few years ago i did make a great big quilt out of all my old running shirts. (although im sure you’ll want to sport your marathon shirt for quite a awhile before you ever think of cutting it up.) but its a great way to hold on to all those old shirts that tend to pile up over the years.

24 N.D. June 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm

I loveee that frame!! You just reminded me I need to get my stuff together from boston. I have all of my bibs with results printed out in a scrapbook. It is fun to look at.

25 Susan June 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Love the eggplant sandwich idea!! I am definitely stealing that one :)

26 Danielle June 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm

The frame looks absolutely beautiful… perfect to hold one of your many accomplishments :) Another one being that sandwich! Oh my, my, my what a spectacular idea!

27 Hangry Pants June 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm

You definitely earned that bumper sticker!

I want that sandwich right now! I have no grill though. Maybe I can broil it. Gahhhhh!

28 joelygolightly June 9, 2009 at 10:46 pm

WOW, that eggplant sandwich looks incredible!! You are so creative with your food!

29 Jess June 9, 2009 at 11:11 pm

i have all my bibs attached in long strands taped on my walls. They are all hooked together with the safety pins you use to clip them to your shirt. I love it!

30 cassie June 9, 2009 at 11:47 pm

meghann – how cool is your shadow box?! i thought for sure that you had used stickers to decorate a plain ol’ shadow box – it’s so perfect with all of those quotes. i have a great bowl on my dresser that has a bunch of empowering quotes too, it’s so fun to look at!

anyway, i had a question for you. i am running my first race on thursday, and while it’s only a one-miler, it’s a little out of my comfort zone. i am used to warming up for a few minutes before i run, and i was wondering what it is like at most races. do you usually have a place to walk around for a little while, or do most people just run cold? what do you usually do for those first few minutes right before you start? thanks for the tips! :)

-cassie

31 Meghann June 10, 2009 at 8:32 am

There will be plenty of people warming up by walking round, jogging in place or just plaing being goofy. I’m more of a cold runner though, but I have seen people do crazy things to warm up before the start. Good luck!!

32 Courtney June 10, 2009 at 12:04 am

Duuuuude, that frame rocks! What if you framed all of your bibs and metals in different black frames like that, and then arranged them aesthically on a blank wall? It’d be easy to add more, and as long as they’re all in black frames, while the size doesn’t have to stay the same, it’s all cohesive! I think this is an awesome idea!

I once saw a blanket, a quilt, that someone had made of all of their running shirts. I really, really want to do that!

And that eggplant sandwich was so creative, 5 stars!

P.S. That chocolate would be devoured in … maybe 2 days? I love chocolate. My nemesis.

Have a good night, I love your blog :]

33 Sarah June 10, 2009 at 2:52 am

The Yuca looks yumma.

34 Goldie June 10, 2009 at 3:23 am

good work! love the bumper sticker!

that egg plant sandwich is awesome! what a great day to get more veg in your diet too. I need a grill!

35 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) June 10, 2009 at 6:45 am

Great frame/shadow box!

Love the eggplant sandwich!

36 Lindsay June 10, 2009 at 8:22 am

What about writing in your time in the shadow box? And maybe that goofy picture of you right when you got your medal? You looked super happy! Great idea!

37 Katrina (Gluten Free Gidget) June 10, 2009 at 8:34 am

That sandwich is inspired! AND you’d better rock that bumper sticker, Chica!

38 Ada June 10, 2009 at 8:43 am

That is such a great idea to use eggplant as sandwich “bread”! I def have to try that one day.

39 Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) June 10, 2009 at 8:46 am

That frame is so great! The sayings around the edge are perfect.

You eggplant sandwich sounds amazing! I love grilling eggplant on my Foreman grill!

40 ari June 10, 2009 at 9:11 am

that eggplant sandwich is such a good idea! super creative. i’m gonna try it out as soon as i get some fresh basil

41 Danielle June 10, 2009 at 9:13 am

This post is full of great ideas! I love the shadow box and that sandwich made my mouth water!

42 Amandaa June 10, 2009 at 9:32 am

that sandwich looks killer! i’m sure it was
simply delish.

i love your hair long. it’s very jennifer
aniston-esque. howeverrr, since the summer
is approaching, shorter is always better
and easier to maintain. but i’m a long haired
kind of girl-so i dig the longggg locks on ya.

43 Island Girl Eats June 10, 2009 at 10:59 am

You so earned the right to slap that bumper sticker on your car. When I finish my first marathon in January, I am going to wear one of those bumper stickers on my forehead!!!!!

44 geegs23 June 10, 2009 at 11:12 am

WOW, that sandwich looks awesome!! I cannot wait to get back from my vacation to try that next week.. YUM!

LOVE the frame also!

Christina

45 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 10, 2009 at 11:59 am

Love the eggplant sandwich, I’m going to have to try that!

I have a ton of race bibs piling up on me, I was thinking about making a scrapbook of some sort but who knows when I’ll actually get around to it.

Can’t wait to see what you do, love the frame! I just put my 13.1 sticker on my car over the weekend :)

46 Jaclyn June 10, 2009 at 12:27 pm

That chocolate stash would last about a day in my fridge!

47 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 10, 2009 at 7:01 pm

What an amazing idea to keep all your race numbers! I’ll have to start doing that.

48 Maria June 17, 2009 at 10:16 am

I ran the SAN DIEGO MARATHON too. well, okay, ran is an overstatement. I trained for it in 5 hours. But remember at like mile 6 when we were running downhill for over half a mile? It was killer on my knees and I ended up spraining it! :( But I kept on keptin on because around mile 8 and 9 up that monster hill through Balboa, it just gave out completely and I had to walk the remaining 18 miles. I remember crying a lot of the time because I was not going to make my time and everyone was passing me (luckily I had a hat on and no one could see my lack of composure). I literally had to walk every mile thereafter to each medical aid station to get wrapped and re-wrapped with ice and bandage so i could make it the next aid station. I finished in 6:18. I can’t believe I’m posting this to your website for all to see, but you motivate me to eat healthier and i’m going to go for rock n roll las vegas in december. we get a cool medal if we do more than one rock n roll in a year…marathon or half..doesn’t matter. did you know that!!?!? what race are you training for next??

wasn’t San Diego just beautiful?!?!

49 Anthony December 11, 2009 at 6:32 am

Yummy chocolate..nice poster frame :)

50 amanda June 12, 2010 at 2:37 pm

i was looking for ideas online of things to do with old race bibs because mine had been stashed in random places. a few in scrapbooks but i thought of a good idea i thought i’d share. you can buy poster frames at a hobbie store that are like 2×4 feet or bigger and pile them in there and hang them by year or distance or something.

51 Nikki Pritchett February 22, 2014 at 11:26 am

Check out this website!!! http://www.goneforarun.com/default.asp
It has awesome books and scrapbook like things to put your running bibs in!