Preventive Care

by Meghann on June 8, 2009

As you will recall during my run on Saturday I discovered the back of my right knee was in a bit of pain and felt really tight. After consulting a few friends, taking the advice some wonderful readers offered, and conducting a little research of my own, I have decided to take a little break from running for the rest of the week. Shocking I know!

This will be the longest break I have taken from running since I discovered my addiction to it way back in January of 2008. Mentally another week of non-running will be tough, but I know my leg will thank me in the end. I am SUPER paranoid of getting injured so anything I can do now to prevent that from happening I am more then willing to commit to.

And I mean come on, its only a week! Toughen up Meghann!

With that being said, this morning I turned to ExerciseTV on demand and popped on Jillian Micheals No More Trouble Zones Work Out.

Oddly enough, this work out did not feel like it was pulling on that muscle at all and after the hour session was done I felt sweaty and worked. I only wish I could get Jillian to come and put me through hell in person.

Yesterday at the Farmer’s market I may have went a little overboard purchasing a tone of fruit on top of already having a stocked fridge at home. Be on the look out for A LOT of fruit incorporated in each meal during the week, while I yet again try to eat up my fridge before I leave on a week vacation.

DSCN1439

My beautiful bowl of cereal this morning contained

DSCN1440

I am thinking tomorrow I will try the approach of all fruit with a little yogurt and granola again. That really kept me full yesterday.

I hope everyone is having a great start to their week!

1 meg June 8, 2009 at 8:34 am

The week will go faster than you think and your knee will appreciate you for it!

2 VeggieGirl June 8, 2009 at 8:38 am

You can do it, Meghann!! Hang in there and rest up πŸ™‚

3 Nicole June 8, 2009 at 8:40 am

The bowl your fruit is in is really cute! I hope your knee feels better!

4 Lindsay June 8, 2009 at 8:43 am

Your breakfast looks awesome, overstocked on fruit is the best way to be. Hope your knee gets better in record time!

5 jenngirl June 8, 2009 at 8:55 am

Best of luck this week, you are doing what is BEST and HEALTHIEST for your body!! Just keep that in mind πŸ™‚

6 Island Girl Eats June 8, 2009 at 8:57 am

A break will do you good. You don’t want to make it worse.

7 Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) June 8, 2009 at 9:01 am

I’m sure when the week is over, you’ll be glad you took a break.

There’s nothing wrong with being overstocked on fruit! That’s the way I prefer to be. πŸ™‚

8 Anne K. June 8, 2009 at 9:01 am

It’s definitely important to let your body rest and recover! I know it’s hard to take it easy, but you can do it πŸ™‚ Your breakfast looks delicious!

9 caitlin June 8, 2009 at 9:01 am

i AM SOOOO PROUD OF YOU FOR TAKING ANOTHER WEEK OFF. you are setting a VERY positive example to everyone!!

10 brandi June 8, 2009 at 9:14 am

the week with no running will be over before you know it – and hopefully your knee will be totally back to normal! looks like you had a fun weekend! love the little seminoles jersey…even though I’m a hokie! πŸ™‚

11 calabazapie June 8, 2009 at 9:18 am

The week off sounds like a good idea. Preventing an injury is much better than having to deal with one later. Even if it takes two more weeks, you’ll be glad you did it!

12 prettyladycmu June 8, 2009 at 9:18 am

The break will be a great chance for you to recover and you’ll be stronger for it in the long run – good choice!!

13 Kathryn June 8, 2009 at 9:22 am

Breaks are good!! I know I am taking this week after my race off due to a sore knee. Last time I ignored knee soreness I was out for 3 months now that was tough! Enjoy your break get on your bike and just have fun for the week then back to running. You will appreciate it so much more and even a mile will be uplifting and sometimes we forget how joyful running really is until we take time off from it. I have never appreciated running more then I did after that 3 month break.

14 RunToFinish June 8, 2009 at 9:22 am

I always go nuts at the Farmers Market…can’t help it!! I should really be smart like you and try to recover, i just keep trying to run and find it doesn’t work

15 Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 8, 2009 at 9:37 am

Where is the Farmer’s Market you go to? I’m trying to find a good one.

16 Amelia June 8, 2009 at 9:38 am

Even though I’m sure it was a tough decision to take a week off, I’m sure your body will thank you! I know from my own running experiences that we ask a lot of our bodies on long distance runs. Better to rest it now and keep it safe from injury!

17 hopefulrunner June 8, 2009 at 9:38 am

Meghann,
Congrats on your marathon finish!! I think it’s a really wise choice to take some time off from running. I have a knee injury that I ignored because I am too obsessed with running and let it go too far. I ended up having to take about 3 months off from running and am now getting back into it, I’m actually training for my first half marathon! The pain comes back every now and then, but I think if I had done what you are doing, then I would have healed up a lot quicker. Good luck with the knee!!! πŸ™‚
Dayna

18 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 8, 2009 at 9:50 am

Amazing call on the break from running! I know it’s tough but that’s so great you are listening to your body. Plus you have chosen some great alternative exercises πŸ™‚

Have a great Monday!

19 bobbi June 8, 2009 at 9:57 am

I will be only running once this week too, and doing alot mor boxing and Jillian:) I may even go to the GYM!!! LOL I hope your leg feels better soon!

20 Danielle June 8, 2009 at 9:57 am

Good job listening to your body and giving it the rest it probably needs, I’m sure this week will fly right by!

21 Courtney June 8, 2009 at 10:08 am

Have you done all of Jillian’s workouts? Do you recommend one to be “the best?” I have only one her 30 Day Shred, it’s the only one I have seen locally for sale …

Way to be smart, Meg, and take a little running break! I think when you do run again, you’ll feel so, so, so good – and that’s how it’s supposed to feel! :]

Around here, raspberries are impossible to find, only in the little tiny carton with about 10 raspberries in there! ~ is this the size you buy, or did you score a deal at the FM? Same with blueberries! They are super expensive and you can get a tiny amount! It would last maybe one or two bowls of cereal!

Thanks! Have a great day, run-free, day! xox

~Courtney

22 Meghann June 8, 2009 at 11:03 am

Jillians No More Trouble Zones is actaully my favorite! It’s the perfect strength training routine for someone like me, who hates strength training. πŸ™‚

I bought the container of Raspberries at the FM for $1.50! At the supermarket the do tend to be pricey though

23 runnerskitchen June 8, 2009 at 10:12 am

There’s nothing like a break from running to get you to appreciate it more πŸ™‚

Listen to your body – running 26.2 miles is serious work. I’m sure your muscles and tendons will thank you for some extra TLC!

24 Matt June 8, 2009 at 10:15 am

I’ve had that same tightness behind my knee. It wasn’t pain, but it would sometimes twinge. Mine might have been different though because it never hurt while running. It was actually due to tight hamstrings (they connect to the calves benhind your knee). I just stretched, iced, and took it slow for a few days. Went away pretty easily.

Good luck this week!

25 Meghann June 8, 2009 at 11:04 am

I think mine is tight hamstrings too! I have been stretching those bad boys like CRAZY to try and help it. And you’re right it’s not a sharp shooting pain, its just tight and uncomfortable. I am hoping the rest will help.

26 ksgoodeats June 8, 2009 at 10:16 am

Definitely give your body some TLC and you’ll be back out there before you know it πŸ™‚

27 biz319 June 8, 2009 at 10:21 am

Rest is the best medicine sometimes.

Happy Monday – love all the fruit and jealous of your farmers market!

28 Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 8, 2009 at 10:24 am

GOOD FOR YOU!! I love hearing that you’re going to take a break from running and take care of yourself!

29 Leah June 8, 2009 at 10:30 am

I have knee problems GALORE… but nothing on the back of my knee. However a couple of weeks ago my running partner had pain in the back of her knee and went to her chiropractor. He found a knot there (a knot like one you would have in your back, isn’t that funny?!?) anyways he worked it out and she is fine now. I’m not completely sure if your symptoms are like hers (I’m behind on my blog reading) but it is something to think about!

Hope that helps and just be glad the pain is coming after the marathon! I had excruciating pain in both of my knees on my last long run two weeks before my first marathon! IT SUCKED… to say the least… but I ran it anyway!

30 Run Sarah June 8, 2009 at 10:49 am

I overstocked on fruits & vegetables this weekend too! Have a great week off of running…you definitely deserve it after all that tough marathon training.

31 Pearl June 8, 2009 at 10:56 am

cute fruit bowl! hope your knee feels better!

32 Sarah June 8, 2009 at 11:40 am

I’m so glad you are taking a break. Your body will thank you!

33 Marissa June 8, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I think that is so great you are taking a week off!

34 leslie June 8, 2009 at 12:36 pm

way to be smart with your body! your legs will thank you for the rest and there are tons of other ways to get workouts in other than running!

35 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 9, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Better safe than sorry! That was a very smart decision and once you are all healed you will be back to it and doing great πŸ™‚

36 Lauren July 20, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Smart choice! When I was injured from running a little while ago I stuck to Jillians workouts on ExerciseTV and it kept me sweating and feeling good. You should probably do some preventative injury workouts that they have at ExerciseTV that strengthen your legs in the right places to prevent a runner from injury. I highly recommend it!