P.F Changs Suggestions Please

by Meghann on June 8, 2009

It has surely been a productive start to my week! I was able to get quite a few things accomplished that needed to be done and boy dies it feel great marking off a few to dos from the list. πŸ™‚

Around 10:30am I had a Mini Peanut Butter Cookie Larabar while working away.

DSCN1443

I hate to say it, but lunch was just plain ole leftovers.

DSCN1446

No need to doctor up this delicious plate of last night’s Black Bean and Pineapple Enchilada Lasagna. It was great just as it was with a dollop of Plain Non-fat Yogurt on top.

DSCN1455

To help tame the overflowing amount of fresh fruit I had a nice bowl of Watermelon & Cantaloupe on the side.

DSCN1454

Bon Voyage…

My little brother, who recently graduated from high school, is jetting off to Germany tomorrow to spend a month exploring the country with his friends. To help send him off, my bro has requested a farewell dinner at P.F. Changs with the family.

I have not been to P.F. Changs in quite a while and the run through I just did of the online menu is a bit overwhelming. I know they are really good with substitutions and letting you order any dish the way you like it, but I have no clue where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions for something light and healthy to order from there?

1 Christy June 8, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Buddha’s Feast is a great, light thing to get at PF Changs!

2 MareBare June 8, 2009 at 12:13 pm

the lettuce wraps are pretty good and from what I remember you can get them with shrimp, tofu, or chicken. hope that helps!

3 Erin June 8, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Stir fried eggplant (AMAZING) and a side of spinach!

4 Ana June 8, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I always get the Buddha’s Feast, steamed, and i cover it with the sauce that they make for you at the table–so you can have lots of flavor and nothing fried! try it with a glass of white wine!

5 Meredith June 8, 2009 at 12:37 pm

i always get the lettuce wraps with tofu and then ask for a bowl of brown rice (they have AMAZING brown rice, i wish i could make mine at home taste as good!). i add the rice to the wraps and they are super filling, more than enough for a whole meal.

6 Emily June 8, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I start with a cup of hot and sour soup and then I always get the vegetarian lettuce wraps as my meal! Delicious and filling!! If you like hot tea, they have great choices for that as well. Have a nice dinner with the fam!

7 Kate June 8, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I love the tofu lettuce wraps with steamed brown rice. SOO tasty!

8 Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) June 8, 2009 at 12:53 pm

“Eat This, Not That” suggests getting any of these items from PF Changs: Wild Alaskan Sockeye, Seared Ahi Tuna, Ginger Chicken & Broccoli, Sichuan-Style Asparagus. Also, one of the tips in the book for PF Changs is to have any of the stir-fry dishes served over shredded lettuce instead of noodles or rice. That saves a whopping 400 cals!

Have fun!

9 keri410 June 8, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I really like the vegetarian lettuce wraps and the buddha’s feast was really great too. Make sure to order brown rice! You can order sauces on the side (I did this with my buddha)… all the other suggestions above are great too!

10 brandi June 8, 2009 at 12:59 pm

i love having good leftovers for lunch!

sorry I have no suggestions – we don’t have a pf changs πŸ™

11 Claire June 8, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I havent’ been to PF Chang’s in a while but looks like the Buddah’s feast would be good…could even be steamed. And you can, of course, get brown rice.

12 prettyladycmu June 8, 2009 at 1:06 pm

The Lettuce Wraps are great!!

13 Liz @ intheskinny June 8, 2009 at 1:08 pm

I think I’m going with everyone else and voting lettuce wraps!

14 Anna Webb June 8, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I usually get the Lettuce Wraps with Chicken and white rice. A healthier option of course would be to get it with Tofu and brown rice. SO YUMMY.

15 Run Sarah June 8, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I’m excited to try PF Changs on my honeymoon, I will have to try those lettuce wraps!

16 Natalie June 8, 2009 at 1:18 pm

The Cantonese Shrimp is the lightest thing on the menu and it’s yummy!

17 Kristin June 8, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Hahah, was going to say lettuce wraps but everyone already has…TRUST. they’re good!

18 skinnymenny June 8, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Buddha’s Feast, steamed! Everyone already said that, but it’s my go-to PF Chang’s dish…have fun! πŸ™‚

19 Coco June 8, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I am obsessed with PF chang’s seabass entry with spinach. I always get that with a side of brown rice. If your in the mood for fish, I recommend you get that! Enjoy!!!

20 dailygoods June 8, 2009 at 1:25 pm

the lettuce wraps are amazingggg and the buddha’s feast is so good too! πŸ™‚ enjoyyy

21 greenbean June 8, 2009 at 1:25 pm

chicken lettuce wraps! if you nix the healthy idea, try to snag a bite of the Mongolian Beef. insane!

22 BethT June 8, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I love getting their side order of spicy string beans with brown rice – it’s very filling to me. The ma po tofu is also good but I can’t remember if it’s fried….

23 Amelia June 8, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I’ve only eaten once at PF Changs, but I agree with the posters that said lettuce wraps. They are delish and super customizable! πŸ™‚

24 Niki June 8, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I’m gonna say the lettuce wraps too! They’re so good!!

25 Yasmin June 8, 2009 at 1:36 pm

chicken or veggie lettuce wraps are the way to go ! They also have this great salmon dish (don’t know the specific name though) with grilled asparagus and brown rice. Have fun at my fave restaurant!

26 Eilidh June 8, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Cool, your bro’s coming to Germany? I’m a long-term blog lurker finally outing herself….Let me know if he needs any tips, I’m a Brit living in SW Germany!

27 stephanie p June 8, 2009 at 1:38 pm

steamed buddha’s feast is literally dry and tasteless. ask for the sauce on the side if you order it.

my personal fave is the ginger chicken and broccoli. Its such a big dish you only need to eat half. It’s delish!

28 runnerskitchen June 8, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I think that Cristen, the RD from Self.com’s Eat Like Me, usually gets the lettuce wraps when she goes to PF Chang’s. If a dietician is choosing the lettuce wraps, it’s probably a safe bet πŸ™‚

29 Nicole June 8, 2009 at 1:40 pm

I’ve never been there, but everyone tells me that the Buddha’s Feast is great!

30 Meganerd June 8, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I agree with everyone else who said lettuce wraps!! They also have really good lemon pepper shrimp (ask for no butter) and that comes with brown rice. That’s pretty light but still very flavorful!

31 Amy June 8, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I always get the steamed shrimp dumplings, they are very low in calories and VERY yummy. But, I have to admit.. I usually order two orders of it, because its a small appetizer.

32 Natalie June 8, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I’m pretty sure the Ginger Chicken & Broccoli is pretty healthy. I love the lettuce wraps too. Have a great time at dinner!

Those enchiladas look amazing! I made black bean pineapple enchiladas a long time ago and they were SO good! I need to try those out again πŸ™‚

33 Jenny June 8, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Last time I ordered the Cantonese shrimp and it was delicious. I just looked it up out of curriousity and apparently the dish contains 2 servings, and each serving is 262 cals. Eat half tonight with some brown rice and maybe a started soup and take the other half home for leftovers another day.

34 Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 8, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I get either the tofu lettuce wraps, easy on the oil as possible and/or the szechwan eggplant, also easy on the oil, and always brown rice

35 Kori (All Things B.) June 8, 2009 at 2:23 pm

I usually order the lettuce wraps -chicken or tofu depending on my mood and sub the “rice sticks” for a side of brown rice. I love this place because they are super good about subs and their gluten free options are amazing!

36 Jess June 8, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I love the Ma Po Tofu but it is wok fried, so not quite as light as the varieties you bake normally, but it is a tasty garlicky treat! You could probably ask for them to do “lite oil” as Mara suggested with the wraps too.

Oh and I don’t know if you are a soup a holic like myself, but they have the best won ton soup ever. It’s not a traditional won ton- It has tons of spinach and mushrooms (and I think water chestnuts if I recall right) in a tasty broth that seems quite light in my memory.

37 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 8, 2009 at 2:35 pm

I wish I could help, but I’ve only been there once, and that was about 5 years ago. Good luck, though!

38 Liz June 8, 2009 at 2:47 pm

If you order anything besides the Steamed Buddha’s Feast, you can request that it be “stock velveted”, which basically means that they cook your meal in chicken broth instead of oil. (I believe that it’s broth….anyways, it’s something better than oil πŸ˜‰

39 Christy June 8, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Don’t know if you already had a look at their nutritional information, but if you haven’t, here it is.

At least this is a good place to start, and then you can ask for substitutions as needed. Have fun and enjoy!

40 Stefanie B. June 8, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps. This appetizer has just 180 calories in a 1/3 dish serving.

Steamed Vegetable Dumplings. A whole dish has just 220 calories and 3g of fat! Go, P.F. Changs!

Tha’ts from the hungry-girl website!

41 jenngirl June 8, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I usually order Ginger Chicken and Broccoli with brown rice, so good! I got the Buddha’s Feast steamed last time I was there, and there were literally THREE TINY pieces of tofu amongst a plate of steamed veggies…don’t know what was up with that, so be wary!

Most of all, enjoy it! πŸ™‚

42 Meghan June 8, 2009 at 3:15 pm

the lettuce wraps are a must..I always go for the chicken but the vegetarian ones are pretty good too! I have tried a bunch of entrees there..i really like the cantonese shrimp, ginger chicken and cashew chicken!

43 Quinn June 8, 2009 at 3:15 pm

I’m a big fan of the lettuce wraps. Yum!

44 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 8, 2009 at 3:16 pm

mmm the melon looks wonderful

I have been crossing things off my to-do list all day too- love it!

I don’t think there is PF Changs here in Canada…sorry.

Germany sounds awesome! What a great way to spend a month!

Have a great evening!

45 Stacey June 8, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Not really sure on the nutrition info on it, but the lettuce wraps are delicious!!!!!! I’ve tried, unsuccessfuly, to recreate them, but maybe next time!!

Before I became vegetarian I ate the sweet and sour chicken, wasn’t that healthy but it sure was good. The portion size was a little out of control though.

Have fun, and that’s awesome that your brother gets to explore the country!! Im so jealous!

46 Matt June 8, 2009 at 3:45 pm

PF Changs is AWESOME! I usually get the lemon pepper shrimp with brown rice or the singapore street noodles. The lettuce wraps, shrimp dumplings, and wonton soup are great to start!

47 Sarah June 8, 2009 at 3:51 pm

It’s been said, but the vegetarian lettuce wraps are my fave.

48 Kathryn June 8, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I LOVE the tofu lettuce wraps. They are SO yummy probably not healthy but yummy.

49 Tay June 8, 2009 at 4:07 pm

LETTUCE WRAPS!!! They are theeeee best. And it’s only like 500 cals I think for the ENTIRE plate. So share it! Buddha’s feast is reasonable, but I think a bunch of their other chicken dishes are most tasty. But seriously…lettuce wraps girl. I like the chicken ones best.

50 rachel June 8, 2009 at 4:11 pm

get the lettuce wraps and have them substitute tofu for the chicken — amazing! also the ma po tofu is really good!

51 Melissa S. June 8, 2009 at 4:40 pm

buddah’s feast all the way babe. or any of the tofu dishes. i really liked the tofu lettuce wraps i had one time…amazing!!!

52 Maria Ann June 8, 2009 at 5:23 pm

lettuce wraps!

53 HelpMeghanRun June 8, 2009 at 5:33 pm

So jealous of that mini PB cookie larabar! Haven’t been able to find one in forever. πŸ™ Check out the Adora Calcium giveaway on my blog!

HelpMeghanRun.com

54 Courtney June 8, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Hey, don’t hate lefties! (leftovers) Nothing wrong with that :]
Have fun tonight at dinner, and wow, Germany, he’ll have fun!

55 Bec June 8, 2009 at 7:19 pm

have a great dinner with the fam

56 strivingforbalance June 8, 2009 at 7:40 pm

i wish they sold those mini larabars!

have fun at dinner with the family!

57 N.D. June 8, 2009 at 8:25 pm

I think the little bars are so cute! Have you tried making them?

58 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 8, 2009 at 8:28 pm

I love PF Changs!

The lettuce wraps are good and definitely start with a cup of soup if you can, that is the best way to start out and keep from overdoing it.

Last time I was there I got the ground chicken and eggplant dish which was phenomenal! I ate half with some brown rice and took the rest home πŸ™‚

All of the vegetable side dishes are pretty light and healthy, the shanghai cucumbers are my fave!

59 honeykohm June 8, 2009 at 8:29 pm

mmm i looove pf’s! i usually order buddha’s feast, steamed…and then I steal some chicken or shrimp and some sauce from the rest of my fam and add it on top of my veggies and tofu.

germany!! i graduated high school last year and also flew to germany a few days after my graduation! it was so amazing!! i hope your brother has fun