Run, Beach, Bowl

by Meghann on June 6, 2009

After a week of post-marathon recovery, this morning I finally felt it was time to lace up my shoes and hit the pavement. My legs had been feeling great and I was just planning on running to the end of the road and back which comes to roughly 3.5 miles.

My Sister and Melissa joined me on the recovery run. At first Kelly bolted out fast and I had to remind her I had just run a marathon the week before. She managed to slow down but we still held a strong 9:00 minute pace until the end of the road.

I kept doing mental checks of my body. Left leg good…. left knee good… right knee good…. back of right knee not so good.Β

I have yet to find anyone who is able to tell me the proper name to the muscle on the back of my leg that connects my calves and hamstrings, but that is the muscle that has been on the tighter side since I finished my race. During the run it started feeling very tight again and at the halfway point I had to stop and stretch it out and let my running buddies know I was going to need to slow the pace on the way back.

Kelly took off for a few more miles while Melissa and I headed back to the house at a much slower pace.

With the extra tight leg I knew I had to take it was easy or risk being injured. My first run back I would have to say went well, but not as great as expected. I just need to take it easy a bit longer before I know I will be back to normal.

It still feel great to get a run in. I celebrated with a great breakfast prepared by my Daddy.

DSCN1314

My plated had Scrambled Eggs, Fruit Salad, Biscuit and a Tiny spoonful of Sausage Gravy.

The past part was the fruit salad, which I went back for seconds and then helped finish the bowl!

Melissa joined me outside for blogger breakfast photography.

DSCN1313

Our plates were the prettiest of the table. πŸ™‚

DSCN1315

The beach was on the agenda for this morning and I could not have been more excited! It was actually pretty fun driving in the daylight to where we had witnessed the turtles nesting the evening before.

First we had to make a little detour stop by the water so Melissa and her boyfriend Brad could catch their first glimpse at wild manatees.

DSCN1319

I guess its because I grew up Β by the water and Manatees are such a common creature here, but it never occured to me that other people have never seen one outside of captivity before!

We were lucky that two beautiful manatees popped up as soon as we made it to the dock.

DSCN1316

I think they knew we wanted some close up shots, so they swam up to say hi. They were very sweet manatees.

When we made it to the beach all the girls went straight to laying in the sand, while the boys headed to the water.

DSCN1327

We got out there early and before the rain. It could not have been a more beautiful day on the water!

DSCN1324

We had fun playing in the sand.

DSCN1342

And hiked to see if we could find where our turtle had nested the night before.Β

DSCN1332

She was a little far away from where we were and we gave up on walking through the sand. But, this is what the stake looked like that we helped mark the nest with.

Obviously, you can not go to the beach with out snacks!

DSCN1334

I had a handful of these yummy chips

DSCN1333

A handful of Blue Corn Tortilla Chips

DSCN1330

and some Trail Mix Melissa had brought.

DSCN1337

Unfortunately the clouds moved in and cut our fun in the sun day short!

DSCN1346

We stopped at Publix on the way home to pick up some subs for lunch.

DSCN1347

I ordered the Boars Head Salsalito Turkey with Honey Mustard, Jalapenos, Banana Peppers, Black Olives, Tomatoes, Garlic Pickles, Onions, Lettuce and a drizzle of vinegar.

DSCN1350

This sub was SPICY!Β

I also had a chopped Green apple and another handful of the Buffalo Bleu Cheese Kettle Chips on the side.

DSCN1348

After lunch I passed out in the living room before making the drive back to Orlando.Β

On the way to my apartment I was trying to figure out what to have for dinner and all I could think of was Almond Butter on vegetables. So in a new trial experiment I had a bowl of steamed vegetables with almond butter on top.

DSCN1352

For the base of the bowl I had steamed carrots, green beans, leftover sweet and sour cabbage, and some random cantalope I was craving. It was a ridculous odd combination of flavors but it totally worked! I am now under the impression you can literally throw anything into a bowl and as long as you are craving it, it will be awesome!

To satisfy my sweet tooth I had a small bowl of Coconut Milk Coconut Ice CreamΒ with a sprinkle of Chocolate is For Lovers Granola sprinkled on top.

DSCN1356

I was very disappointed this afternoon when Caitlin texted me to bail on out bike ride plans for tomorrow. Luckily she made up for it when she invited me out bowling this evening instead.

DSCN1362

She also invited fellow Orlando blogger Megan from MegaNerdRuns.

DSCN1368

What can I say Meg[H]an[N]s are cool no matter how you spell it. πŸ™‚

We originally set out to bowl three games, but the girls were tired of bowling interrupting our conversation, so we bailed on the third and instead gabbed about all things life. It’s always so much fun to meet new people and get their life story. πŸ™‚

As always its impossible to bowl without a little beer confidence.

DSCN1357

Unfortunately the bowling ally bar had slim beer selection and as we ordered ore pitchers the selections got smaller. I was very excited they did have Shock Top, but our pitcher order tapped the keg. We also managed to tap the AmberBrock tap!

I had 1 cup of the single Shock Top pitcher.

DSCN1358

Sadly, none of the other beers peaked my interest.

Somehow Caitlin brought up her uncanny ability to out chug a frat guy. Needless to say her brother in law put her to the test.

DSCN1367

She kicked his butt... twice. πŸ˜‰

Wow, what a day! Time to get some sleep! I am excited for the 20 mile bike ride I am still planning on, despite Caitlin’s bailing on me. It will feel nice to get out on Blue again, it has been far too long!

Good Night!!

1 HelpMeghanRun June 6, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Everything looks and sounds go great! Glad you finally ran again. And I agree…Meghans are the best πŸ™‚

2 HelpMeghanRun June 6, 2009 at 11:57 pm

Everything looks and sounds so good! Glad you were able to run again. And yes, Meghans are awesome πŸ™‚

HelpMeghanRun.com

3 Bec June 7, 2009 at 12:16 am

sounds like a great day, have a good ride tomorrow!

4 The Novice Berker June 7, 2009 at 12:19 am

Oh my gosh, you guys are so cute! It looks like you had such a blast. πŸ™‚

5 Lyss June 7, 2009 at 12:23 am

I was obsessed with manatees in middle school! I adopted one! πŸ™‚ Then I got an envelope marked “sensitive material” and I knew it was bad news. πŸ™ At least she’s in a better place! Haha

6 Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 7, 2009 at 12:25 am

What a great day!!! I sorely miss the ocean πŸ™

7 Run Sarah June 7, 2009 at 12:31 am

It’s the popliteus muscle! What a fun day bowling πŸ™‚

8 lilveggiepatch June 7, 2009 at 1:52 am

Looks like a great day! I’ve never seen a wild manatee… pretty cool!

9 Leah June 7, 2009 at 4:17 am

What a great day! Your life in FL always looks so fun and exciting. I thrive off nice weather and here in England it is cold and rainy right now! So not fair.

10 Kathryn June 7, 2009 at 6:40 am

Looks like a great time! I wish I had come out of my half as well as you came out of your full πŸ™‚ Yummy eats too. And Caitlin is CERTAINLY a woman of many talents lol

11 RunToFinish June 7, 2009 at 7:01 am

glad you were able to get to running again!! looks like a fun day and you know I’ve never seen manatees either

12 Mica June 7, 2009 at 7:57 am

Looks like an awesome day at the beach/bowling alley! You know I’m jealous!

13 ksgoodeats June 7, 2009 at 8:12 am

I LOVE MANATEES! They’re so cute!! Looks like you guys had a great day πŸ™‚

14 Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 7, 2009 at 8:13 am

Did you see that story on the news the other day about manatees. A bunch of tourists were freaking out because they thought a bunch of manatees were dying, but…. Get this…. they were really just mating! hahahahaha LOVE IT!

15 katyrenee June 7, 2009 at 8:43 am

It could be an IT Band issue. I’ve heard foam rollers work wonders for stretching that out.

16 jenngirl June 7, 2009 at 9:15 am

What a great day, ended by an equally fun night!

Hope you have a great bike ride today πŸ™‚

17 Priyanka June 7, 2009 at 9:16 am

Looks like such an awesome day!! Have fun tomorrow!

18 kate June 7, 2009 at 9:17 am

I had some back-of-the-knee probs training for a half marathon, and my doc and PT diagnosed a “hamstring tendon problem” back there where everything connects. They can stretch, get irritated, rupture, etc. But I was back in business after some hamstring strength work! Good luck! πŸ™‚

19 Sarah June 7, 2009 at 9:26 am

i had a beach day yesterday, too! the wild manatees are so cool.

so good that you’re listening to your body with the running — it seems like the only thing that can really make these muscle probs go away is not running at all until they heal! that and lots of ibuprofen πŸ™‚ and LOTS of leg strength training, which i got way too relaxed on pre-injury.

20 prettyladycmu June 7, 2009 at 9:34 am

So fun to see bloggers living a little bit on the wild side πŸ™‚ Glad your first run post-marathon went well! Don’t worry about the stiffness – it’ll work itself out!

21 Niki June 7, 2009 at 9:43 am

Looks like a great day! I’ve never seen Manatees! That’s so neat!

22 Priyanka June 7, 2009 at 9:46 am

Sorry for the repeat comment but based on the anatomy class that I have taken, the tendon of all the hamstring muscles go and inserts on the bone that is covered by the calves. So most likely it has to be a hamstring tendon pull or tear!!

23 Ada June 7, 2009 at 9:47 am

That day sounds like a complete blast! I wish we had manatees in New York City!

24 bobbi June 7, 2009 at 11:00 am

how fun, I so need to get a road bike!!! I love that you checked your email on your ride, yesterday on my half I was uploading picutres to my facebook…lol…
Yesterday the one part of my legs that hurt was the back side of my right knee, I can’t igure out what mucle it is either!

I also adore your shirt at the bowling alley!!!

Have a restful sunday beautiful!

25 gina (fitnessista) June 7, 2009 at 12:30 pm

oh that looks like so much fun!
were you guys by blue springs? i love seeing the manatees out there!
have a great day <3

26 caronae June 7, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Looks like the beach was fun! I LOVE manatees, but seeing as I live in Michigan, I have never seen one πŸ™

27 Meghan June 7, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Haha…you should have Caitlin try to take on this kid! I shouldn’t be proud that I know him, but you gotta admit, that IS pretty impressive!

28 Tay June 7, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Wow such a fun, eventful day!! Bowling sounds so fun – you gave me the urge to go!
And good job holding back on the running…don’t push it girl! You know you don’t want to be injured πŸ™‚

29 Kim C. June 7, 2009 at 7:41 pm

i think the name of the muscle that is giving you problems is the popliteus muscle…

love your blog!

30 Meganerd June 7, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Hey Meghann!!

It was so great to meet you last night, even though you weren’t expecting me lol. Hopefully we can hangout again soon or go for a run or something. πŸ™‚

Talk to you later!

Megan

31 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 8, 2009 at 1:04 pm

The manatees are so cool!

32 aron June 8, 2009 at 11:54 pm

i had to take 2 weeks off after my first marathon… just a bunch of random tweeks that needed rest before i could run again. i tried to run but then my gait was off and i ended up hurting myself just a little. hang in there and just continue to listen to your body – you will be running again in no time!