Marathon Training Reflection: Weight

by Meghann on June 5, 2009

Along my marathon journey I have had quite a few of you ask me how the training effected my weight. As I have a variety of readers with a varied background, I usually try not to discuss weight on my blog. What is comfortable for me, may not be for some people and I have discovered the subject of weight tends to be taboo on healthy living blogs.

With that being said, I want to warn anyone reading this post that for the first section I will be discussing how marathon training has effected my weight. If this offends you or is a trigger mechanism PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE skip this post I in no way want to offend anyone, but this is a subject I am always curious about with other marathoners and found my experience fascinating and totally different then I was expecting.

I want to share as much of this experience as possible and this was a big part. Please consider yourself warned. :)

I have to confess when I started marathon training back in January, my weight was at its lowest point. I honestly found it a bit strange to weigh so low mere weeks after the holiday festivities had ended, but I really don’t weigh myself on a regular basis anyways and did not think much of it.

As marathon training progressed I tried to monitor my weight and hunger levels as close as possible.

The massive hunger I felt during training came when I started piling on the miles. I found by mid-afternoon I wanted to chew my arm off and the casual nibbling while preparing meals got a little out of hand. I couldn’t help it. I was burning soo many calories a day and I was HUNGRY.

To help fuel me up and keep the hunger at bay as much as possible I upped my dairy, carbs and protein intake. I even added larger afternoon snacks to help me make it to dinner. My desserts became larger and heavier. I was listening to what my body wanted and not afraid to give it to it.

During training it was also hard having so many other people throw advice at me on when I should be eating and what I should be eating while I was putting my body through extra effort. It was enough to make my head spin and as well intentioned as it was I decided what was best for me was to listen to what my body wanted. Rules are all fine and dandy, but they were thrown out the window. I ate and ate, but I ate what I liked and what I craved, not what some magazine was telling me I should eat.

Originally I was pretty scared of my weight dipping down too low. So, you can imagine my surprise when I actually started gaining weight! I averaged 5 pounds higher then my starting weight throughout marathon training. In the last few weeks, with the extra long runs, I gained 3 more for a total gain of 8 pounds while training.

I had heard of people gaining weight while training for marathons, but for some reason I still was not expecting it.

Please keep in mind, not once did I complain about the weight gain, mention it to anyone or make any changes to my diet to try and get rid of it. I figured if my body wanted that extra weight there while training, then it was meant to be there.

It’s funny because 8 pounds seem like a lot, but in the end all of my clothes still fit me and my body became a powerhouse of strength and endurance. I like to judge by clothes and what my body can achieve, not by the scale.

So, there you have it, I ran my marathon 8 pounds heavier then when I had started it. Funny, right? I also ended it with well defined calves, awesome back muscles, great muscular thighs and did I mention with a sub 4:30 finishing time?!? :)

As I said my body needed that additional weight to power me through those 26.2 miles and in no way did I fight it. I know in time my weight fluctuates and will eventually even its self out. What would have been worse would have been if I tried to deprive myself of anything while running. Not only would my body have rebelled, but mentally I would have hated myself for not enjoying the cupcakes and would have risked injuries with improper nutrition!

Looking back I know I made the right decisions and in truth the scale does not matter!

4 days after my marathon I still believe I have one smoking body! Thank you body for being good to me. Thank you for allowing me to train injury free *knocks on wood*, thank you for letting me trust you to make the right adaptations to life and thank you for taking me through 26.2 miles!

Ok I tried to make that as informative as possible, without anyone taking offense. Please keep all negative comments at bay,  I knew what I was getting myself into when I posted about this and I’m ok with it!

Oh I also do not plan to follow up on whether the extra weight is still there or not. I am also making no effort to lose it. With my return to a normal routine and life, everything will work itself out in the end. :)

I have a couple of more Marathon Relfection posts in mind. Apparently you guys are interested in the dirty details of miles 22-26. I will see what I can do!

1 caitlin June 5, 2009 at 11:10 am

YAY FOR 8 POUNDS OF MUSCLE GAIN because that’s what it was!!!

2 Marissa June 5, 2009 at 11:15 am

Yay!! Great post!!

3 prettyladycmu June 5, 2009 at 11:17 am

Great post!! I, too, gained weight when I trained for my marathon, mostly b/c I was at such a low weight when I started training. Learning to listen to your body is a challenge, but one that I’m sure is good preparation for challenges later in life, whether it’s more races or pregnancy :)

4 Bec June 5, 2009 at 11:17 am

Wow great post love it! And yes I want to hear all about those miles too~!

5 Bridget June 5, 2009 at 11:18 am

Way to go!!

6 Amy June 5, 2009 at 11:32 am

Great post!

I gained 15 pounds when I ran mine, but like you I was at my lowest weight ever when I started training.

7 aron June 5, 2009 at 11:32 am

this is such a great post. I know a lot of people who gain weight during marathon training, that hunger is hard to stop! when I was training for my first one I had my body fat % taken at the start of training and then during peak training. I really only lost 1 lb or 2 overall, but the % of fat on my body went way down. I was so stoked for that! I think its really important and also difficult to find the right balance during training of eating enough and the right foods, without just shoving your face with bad stuff constantly. Sounds like you were able to find that happy balance :)

congrats again! looking forward to seeing how the next round of training affects you. for my 2nd one I used a much harder schedule and ran a lot more miles, so I was even hungrier! but I dont pay attention to the scale either and as long as my clothes continue to fit (or get a little looser) I am happy!

8 fitforfree June 5, 2009 at 11:33 am

Awesome reflections. Almost everyone I know who’s done a marathon has gained weight, but hasn’t cared at all—it’s nearly impossible to resent your body when it’s carried you through so many miles!!

9 Ally June 5, 2009 at 11:35 am

Girl, it sounds like you gained 8 lbs of powerhouse muscle!! I am gained a few since I really started training, which is a little disheartning, but, at the same time, one night I just sat in my kitchen munching away like a startving child because I was flippin’ hungry! I went through several banana muffins (homemade) and then beat myself up about it all night. Funny thing is, I felt awesome the next morning for my run. My body was telling me “hey, doofus, you need to eat!”. Our bodies are smart, they know what we need and what works and what doesn’t. It’s wonderful like that. Although, my problem is, I tend to overpower my body and say “no, I WANT that chocolate!” Not good…

Congratulations on being such a rockstar!!!

10 Heather June 5, 2009 at 11:38 am

Your weight gain is very common & while I didnt gain when I did either of my marathons I never lost one single ounce.

My funny thing was watching friends shovel down food the day after a long run & I didnt want to eat anything. I had to force feed myself on those days because I just wasnt hungry. But the next day, I wanted to eat anything not nailed down! I was ravenous!

I appreciate you sharing your experience because it may save a future marathoner from an “omg, I gained while marathoning” freakout :)

11 Sheri June 5, 2009 at 11:38 am

Great post! That is 8 pounds of MUSCLE girl that powered you through that loooooong run! Way to go! :)

12 Tess June 5, 2009 at 11:50 am

WOW great post. Thanks for writing it. You’re amazing and congrats again on the marathon!

13 emlit81 June 5, 2009 at 11:53 am

While training for my second marathon, I gained about 15 pounds. I think I’m the only one who noticed–no one else would believe it when I told them. I’ll be honest, I’m still trying to get comfortable with the fact that I gained the weight and that so far (this marathon was in November), only five pounds of it have come off. I admire your healthy attitude, and I hope I can start feeling the same way!

14 Lauren June 5, 2009 at 11:53 am

Great post! You definitely gained 8 pounds of muscle. I became serious about running shortly after commencing recovery for an eating disorder. I was at my lowest weight ever at this point–far too low. Running helped me gain weight by encouraging muscle growth and really stimulating my appetite. My weight leveled off after about a year, and I know for a fact that running helps regulate my metabolism now. Like you said, the number you see on the scale really doesn’t matter all that much! Running makes you strong, gives you energy, and imparts an unequaled sense of accomplishment and confidence. Thanks for your thoughtful post!

15 Hallie June 5, 2009 at 11:57 am

This was REALLY interesting. Thanks for posting. One of the reasons I signed up for a 10k was that, even though I’m admittedly pretty “preoccupied” with trying to drop a few pounds, I wanted to have a goal that was unrelated to my scale. Doing the 10k (which will be a PDR for me) has nothing to do with being skinny, and right now I really need that as a goal.

16 Melissa (fitnessnyc) June 5, 2009 at 12:00 pm

great attitude! I also gained some weight training, and haven’t been back to premarathon weight since,and that was 2 years ago. But the appreciation of my body’s strength made the number somehow insignificant

17 Stephanie June 5, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I loved this post.

I agree with you that we all have various food/weight “issues” and it is good to be considerate when broaching sensitive topics.

HOWEVER, you cannot escape the fact that this is a food/fitness/lifestyle blog and weight IS a factor in that. Not necessarily in a “bad” or negative way, but it is something that each and every one of us is cognizant of.

I think you discussed the topic in a very informative, thoughtful, and interesting way. Thanks!

18 Lee June 5, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I also gained about 8 pounds when I ran my marathon.

19 Joleen June 5, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Great post – thanks for being so candid. I had the exact same experience with my marathon too.

20 dailygoods June 5, 2009 at 12:08 pm

8 lbs of amazing muscle right there meghann! you are so level headed and really are amazing! sad i wont be able to meet you when im in florida!! but have a wonderful vaca in nc ! where in NC are you going? my grandparents live near charlotte, i loveee it there!

21 Rachel June 5, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Great post! I know it must’ve been hard to write since you have so many readers with different backgrounds, but I think you handled the subject gracefully, and I’m glad you are taking good care of your body. I look forward to more marathon reflections!

22 Ana June 5, 2009 at 12:11 pm

love the honesty! while i’ve never run a marathon, i have run a few halves, and have watched my weight change a little over the training…even 2-3 pounds can change your level of endurance and the strength of your body– be so proud that you have a strong body that is capable of awesome accomplishments!

23 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 5, 2009 at 12:14 pm

You are such a positive influence and I’m so glad that you posted this. I just recently put my scale in the closet because that does not matter to me much anymore. You have inspired me to think of it even less! :)

24 Kate June 5, 2009 at 12:24 pm

That was a great post! When you mentioned you were going to write a post on marathon training and your weight I was really looking forward to it! When I was training for my first half marathon I gained some weight (at the beginning I was at my lowest weight ever) and I ran a kick ass race, I have never been able to beat that PR because I think I’ve been watching what I eat tooo much and was trying to lose weight!!
Also my boyfriend’s brother ran one marathon at his lowest weight and collapsed before the finish line (still finished, phew!)…then a year later ran the same race “a little bit heavier”, as he put it, and finished strong and almost had a BQ (sooo close!)

Thank you for that post, it was informative and very positive!!!

25 Quinn June 5, 2009 at 12:25 pm

This is such a fantastic post! Especially with my wedding planning I think I dwelled on weight a little too much, but truly, after reading Caitlin’s guest post the other day, I realized that there are so many other important things in this life, and to be thankful for what my body can do! The marathon is such an accomplishment, and good for you to listening to your body!

26 Nicole June 5, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Your healthy attitude is fabulous! I strive to reach that kind of positivity! You are one awesome lady, Meghann!

27 Sara June 5, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Wow, don’t know how anyone could say anything negative about that….How healthy, positive and TRUE. We should give our bodies what they need and want and crave when we are training and working out and generally LIVING…it is so crucial. You rock :)
Sara

28 elise June 5, 2009 at 12:28 pm

8 pounds was the muscle you gained from all the training…congrats, bc thats the GOOD kind to gain. which is also why your clothes all still fit. way to embrace it. you have such a healthy attitude, PROPS! me dear!!

29 brandi June 5, 2009 at 12:33 pm

great post, and as long as my clothes still fit, I’m happy too :)

30 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 5, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I find stories like these fascinating. Every body reacts differently to different things. I am the 8 pounds you put on was muscle and that is so awesome! You definitely look awesome and it’s so great all your clothes fit perfectly well.

Have a wonderful afternoon!

31 Amanda June 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Really great post! I definitely put on a few lbs when I trained for my half-marathon .. I think a lot of it had to do with my am workouts – I would be ravenous afterwards! It was sometimes tough to just trust my hungry body and give it what it wanted, because I had become so used to eating a certain amount of food for so long. It sounds like you have a great mindset!

32 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health June 5, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I am so glad you have a positive outlook on this! I think you approached the topic great and I love that you are not going to try and lose the weight. Like everyone else said, it is probably muscle which is the good kind of gain!

33 Caroline June 5, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Agree with above commenters — obviously that was all muscle as, if anything, you look almost leaner with all that extra toning up! :)

Thanks for sharing your experience, and with such a positive attitude, I’d always wondered about this myself.

34 geegs23 June 5, 2009 at 12:46 pm

New here but was following your marathon post.. Just wanted to say congratulations on finishing your first marathon.. definitely something to be proud of!! And that 8lb gain you speak of.. pure muscle!!

35 Julie June 5, 2009 at 12:52 pm

way to talk about such a sensitive subject and leave people inspired! i’m raising money for TnT for a fall race, and I’d love to hear some tips if you have any! thanks and congrats on the AWESOME marathon finish!!

36 Danica June 5, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Good for you for being brave and taking on that topic! You are doing awesome and will continue to do so. I honestly agree with everything you said – you have to embrace what your body tells you and you did!

P.S. I am having a super cool Mr. Krispers giveaway! It ends tonight so stop by to enter :)

37 Jess June 5, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Ditto what Caitlin said. Weight and clothing sizes are just numbers as far as I am concerned if you feel good and look healthy than you are doing the right thing is my take. Congrats again on your goal…can’t wait for the excitement the Disney Marathon will bring. Are you going to do TnT for that race too?

38 RunToFinish June 5, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I think I would have gladly accepted a couple lbs if it was that or the injury :) I didn’t gain anything this time around until the post race vacation!! Whoops

39 Amanda June 5, 2009 at 1:15 pm

You are a rock star!! Your marathon photos show your incredible muscle strength and tone. What a terrific accomplishment – to look, feel, and be strong!

40 runnerskitchen June 5, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Great post! I also noticed that despite the 20 mile long runs, I weighed more during my marathon training. There are some theories that the extra weight is from water (eating more carbs = more water stored in the muscles). Anyway, I think having a strong body that can run 26 miles is SO much more important than a number on the scale!

41 Marathon Effort June 5, 2009 at 1:22 pm

You have a great blog here and it is Nice to read some well written posts that have some relevancy…keep up the good work ;)

42 Andrea June 5, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I love your outlook in this post – everything behind this post is positive and HEALTHY – both physically and mentally. hard to believe that there are haters out there who will walk away from your words with negativity :( I really think that listen to your body is the answer to everything.

43 sarah (ghost world) June 5, 2009 at 1:28 pm

i always gain weight when i marathon train, usually 3-4 lbs-worth. i agree that it most likely was muscle, plus increased glycogen stores that you taught your body to deveop (because they come in handy on long runs!!).

sounds like you have a very heatlhy attitude about everything :)

44 Dori June 5, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Your clothes still fitting means it was definitely muscle you gained — amazing! It is uncomfortable when the clothes don’t fit, you definitely trained in a perfect way for your body.

45 Julia June 5, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Hi Meghann,
Im actually glad you posted this! I have been “training” for about three months, and I have put on close to 10 pounds. I didn’t know what was going on, because I don’t have any runners around me. Its kind of nice to hear that this actually happens to others too. I know a lot of it is muscle because I can fit into my clothes still (though a little tighter) and I can run faster and longer. And I need those muscles to run, so even if my weight it up, I’d rather be running, than being ‘skinnier’ and not running as much!
Its really encouraging to hear such positivity coming from you. Congrats on running so many miles, and I hope I can too, sometime soon! Thanks again!

46 Andrea (Off Her Cork) June 5, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I would hope someone wouldn’t find this offensive or say something negative because that’s just a silly thing to do.

I’ve read articles about people gaining weight during training so like you, I sort of see it as no big deal. I’m glad you listened to your body! Being in touch with ourselves is the most important.

47 Holly June 5, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Meghann, thank you so, SO much for posting this. It’s so interesting for many people – runners or not. I’ve run 3 marathons and interestingly, I gained a few pounds once, lost a few pounds another, and stayed the same on my 3rd.

Mostly I have to commend you on your attitude. Weight gain (although yours is muscle with those strong legs!) is never an easy subject to discuss, for most of us anyways. I love that you are not only okay with your body and weight, but you don’t make it seem like a huge deal at all. Love that! :-)

48 Amy June 5, 2009 at 1:58 pm

You have such a positive, appreciative view of your body + the weight (muscle) gain. I really admire you, Meghann! Thanks so much for sharing this -touchy- subject, because it really breaks down such barriers for your readers. CONGRATS! On everything :)

49 annaalstondonnelly June 5, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Meghann,
Thank you thank you thank you for this post- you were so considerate and thoughtful to write it with such care. As a recovered (recovering?) anorexic, weight gain is still such a fear of mine, and this post shows that NORMAL, HEALTHY (gorgeous, intelligent, fun, talented!) people gain weight for good reasons, too!! Weight gain CAN be a good thing. The lesson here is that our bodies know what’s best for us and we just need to listen.

Thank you!

Anna

50 Esther June 5, 2009 at 2:16 pm

I think you set an amazing example of how to train properly for a marathon. Running 26.2 miles is very different from running a half. Marathon training is not the right time to be concerned with what the scale says. You really listened to your body and respected what it needed. I’m sure that the way you ate played a huge role in keeping injuries at bay and contributed to your amazing finishing time.

51 rhodeygirltests June 5, 2009 at 2:17 pm

great post meghann!

52 Danielle June 5, 2009 at 2:21 pm

i gained 8-10 lbs too… and no… it’s not all muscle. i swear i could have written this post myself!!

53 carolinebee June 5, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I totally noticed how tiny yet buff you are in person!! Ha nottt in a creepy way :D You look great and I literally can’t run 2 miles so I am in awe of you!!

54 Island Girl Eats June 5, 2009 at 2:34 pm

That was a really good recap. You obviously gained 8 pounds of muscle. I have lost weight before when I stopped running, which I thought was weird, until someone told me that I had probably lost some muscle. I have long stopped weighing myself. I am happy with my body and no number is going to change that.

55 Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) June 5, 2009 at 2:38 pm

I’m sure that was pure muscle gain! Last year, when I was teaching 5+ Spinning classes per week, my family and friends kept telling me that I looked like I was getting skinnier and skinner, and I actually weighed MORE than I did before I started teaching. Pure leg muscle! :-)

56 Megan June 5, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Thanks for posting this! I ran my first marathon in February and put on 5-8 lbs. It started to come off after the race, but now that I am training for a half ironman it is sticking around. I have really been beating myself up about it because 8lbs seems like so much, but my clothes fit and no one believes I’ve gained 8 lbs in the past year. It was so nice to hear that it happens to others and that it’s fairly normal. Most people I know do not run and want to know why I didn’t drop tons of weight training for all these things.

57 Hangry Pants June 5, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I was just telling Caitlin that I think I gained weight when training for my half – and that was only a half! In the end, you know your body best!!!!

58 Rachel June 5, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I always gained weight when track and cross country seasons started in high school w/o changing my eating habits at all. Our bodies must need to gain the muscle! I like your attitude, Meghann. :)

59 kirsten June 5, 2009 at 4:01 pm

great post! its funny how the body always knows what its needs ! its great that you are so intune with what your body needs.

60 strivingforbalance June 5, 2009 at 4:17 pm

great post! It was very interesting!

can’t wait to hear about miles 22-26!

61 Leah June 5, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for posting about this Meghann!
I was looking forward to reading it.

I am curious to find out if I gain during my half marathon training – who knows?! Did you gain during your half training as well??

Like you said though, your bod helped you run those 26 miles with pride! Live up those 8 pounds!

62 Susan June 5, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I’ve heard it’s pretty common to gain weight (or not lose any weight if you have some to lose) while marathon training. And I bet a lot of those pounds came from some sweet leg muscles that carried you through your marathon. Scales are so tricky anyways, I stay on top by taking my measurements whenever the mood strikes.

Vanity should always take a backseat to your body’s needs, and sounds like you did an awesome job doing that!! you still looked awesome in all your race photos!! ;)

63 Jess M June 5, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Thank you for this post, Meghann. This is the perfect example of listening to your body and eating intuitively. Our bodies know what they want and need! And again, congrats on your accomplishment!

64 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 5, 2009 at 6:01 pm

I really hope you don’t get any negative comments, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you do. People just seem to feel the need to post nasty comments on blogs because they CAN and because the can do it ANONYMOUSLY. It just makes me so sad when we should be supporting each other!

65 jane June 5, 2009 at 8:13 pm

awesome awesome awesome post! anyone would be crazy to leave a negative remark. you were right in giving your body what it craved, and honestly i bet 99% of that 8 pounds was muscle you built. seriously, runners tend to weigh more due to leg muscle.
plus, you ran a freakin marathon who gives a crap about 8 pounds?!
and i loved what you said about not worrying about losing the weight, just letting everything even out as it will. so cool!

66 Laura June 5, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Thank you so much for being so honest with your experience! I know it probably took a lot to post that, and I appreciate your honesty. It so refreshing to hear that you did what you had to do to fuel your body, even if it meant gaining weight. And its even better to hear that you aren’t making any effort to lose it. I completely agree with you when you said that everything will work out in the end and will even itself out

67 Brooke June 5, 2009 at 9:43 pm

I think that was really sensitive and kind of you to put the warning out that you were going to write about your weight.
I look up to you as a healthy role model in terms of the way you treat your body and the way you see your body. It is so wonderful especially when so many women and so many blogs focus on losing weight and restricting calories or eating ONLY the healthiest of foods. That doesn’t seem healthy to me. Moderation, as you are able to do so well, is truly the way that I aspire to live my life.

68 Christina June 5, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Great post! I had no idea that marathoners sometimes actually gain weight. I’m learning so much about running from your blog. Thanks!!

69 kristen June 5, 2009 at 10:15 pm

I saw your video post on In her shoes….

why are you so worried about what others think? Fuck em – Sub 4:30. You go girl!

70 Tay June 5, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Great great great post. I’m sure you just gained so much strong muscle…which you seem to agree with! You’re super woman!

71 Brooke June 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Off topic, but how did you meet Derek?

72 bobbi June 5, 2009 at 11:58 pm

OH MY!!! Guess what I didn’t run once this week or do any excersise for that matter, I was a bit curiouse(not that I really cared) to see what my weight was. Last night I stepped on the scale and I LOST 3 pounds!!! OH MY lol, the scale is a stupid head…LOL…great post girl cant wait to hear more!

73 chris June 6, 2009 at 6:03 am

Way to build that lean muscle mass. Marathon training will do it everytime as long as listen to your body

74 Joanna June 6, 2009 at 7:48 am

thanks for this meghann – the same EXACT thing happened to me while training for my half. so reading your reaction and others’ same experiences has made me feel better. i hadn’t weighed myself for a good 4 or 5 months, but i stepped on the scale a day before the race and had gained 8 pounds!!! granted, in those 4 or 5 months before training i could have gained some and started at a higher weight than i was aware of, but still 8 pounds! well my race was just over a month ago and i weighed myself today and i lost 4 of it already. i have been exercising LESS and eating the same foods, just obviously my appetite is way less intense. anyway, i agree with you – everything will balance itself out. great attitude, thanks!

75 Sarah June 6, 2009 at 10:51 am

Meghann,
I also gained about 10 pounds training for my half marathon. I think it was the mentality of “I just did a long run and can eat whatever I wanted” ( and being hungrier)! But for the 3 months since then I have been feeling so awful about myself not knowing why the heck I gained weight when (in my mind) I should have lost weight! I am so glad you did this post so I know I’m not THE ONLY ONE who this happened to and its not something horribly wrong with me for this happening! Thank you!

76 Angie June 6, 2009 at 10:58 am

This is also happened with both my marathons. I gained weight, but my clothes fit the same.

77 April Moore June 6, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Good post, Meg…you are smokin hott! I begin half-marathon training next week, I may need advice throughout, I’ll keep you informed!

78 caronae June 6, 2009 at 1:14 pm

You are taking such a great attitude towards this all! I have heard of weight gaining while training. I gained a little while training for my half. I too was always hungry! Thanks for this post!

79 Jenn (eating bender) June 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm

You are so great, Meghann! I just love your attitude on health, fitness, weight, etc. I see eye to eye with you on many things, and I think you really listened to your body. I know I haven’t officially congratulated you on your blog, but I watched your video on Facebook and am so impressed! You did an amazing job at the marathon and put in so much hard work. You should be very proud – I look forward to reading about more successes :)

80 Joanne June 7, 2009 at 9:02 am

That’s so interesting because I noticed that I gained weight during my half marathon training as well. I think it was from all the muscle. Ironically, I went on a cruise right afterwards, didn’t exercise for five days, and came back two pounds lighter than when I left. I guess my body really knows what it needs and doesn’t need and is very sensitive to any changes in diet and exercise!

81 Nicole June 7, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Meghann
I’m so happy you wrote this post. I think it’s amazing just how positive you’ve been throughout everything.
I’ve been training for a 15K and I too have put on a few pounds. At first I was a little frustrated but then I realized (and you helped me with that) that it’s good weight. And I think the fact that you’re already registered to run the Disney marathon in January is awesome too. It makes you feel good so why not right??
Also, I emailed you last week with couple of questions and I’m not sure you got it…apparently some of my emails go directly to “Spam” Let me know! Thanks!!

82 trustingmyintuition June 8, 2009 at 8:03 pm

I was also at my lowest weight when I started training and gained 8 miles during the training! Like you said, our bodies needed it, and I’m okay with that too! Great post. I hope the back of your knee gets better. You’re being smart by taking the week off, and if it doesn’t feel 100% better by then, take another week. I’m on my third week off from running and it really sucks. :-(

83 Rose June 8, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Thanks for such a reflective post on weight! I know I’ve really benefitted from reading this. I gained weight during my training too, and it got me really down. I really like reading your take because it’s so positive. Thanks again.

84 lisaou11 March 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Great post. I’ve heard a lot of people do in fact gain weight they when theya re training. Although, it’s nice to hear from someone who wasn’t upset about the weight gain and it fact welcomed it if that meant your body being able to perform better! Good job!

85 Elizabeth November 18, 2012 at 11:30 am

Hi. I am training for a marathon and looking to gain weight at the same time. Any tips?