Brrr….

by Meghann on June 5, 2009

Leave it to me be freezing while it is 90 degrees outside! I blame the subzero temps of my office as well as my delish, satisfying icey breakfast.

DSCN1287

I had been CRAVING a green smoothie ever since San Diego. This morning I decided to break out the old POS blender (I miss the Breville!) and finally caved into my craving.

I was extra excited because I found a hunky new friend to join me in my smoothie festivities.

DSCN1286

Why hello Mr. Hunky. I found the individual servings of Jay Robb’s protein powder and after rave reviews from a couple of my favorite bloggers, I knew I had to jump on the bandwagon and give it a try.

Honestly I was a little overwhelmed with the selection of Egg White, Whey or Soy protein and decided whey sounded the safest bet to go, but what do I know. I also thought the vanilla would work well in the green smoothie.

DSCN1290

I was right! The vanilla flavor gave it an extra sweet punch that totally masked the any spinach flavoring. You really could not taste the strawberries I had thrown in, but in my head they gave a nice vitamin boost.

Green Smoothie Contents

• 1 Packet Jay Rob’s Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
  • 2 handfuls Spinach
  • 2/3 cup Fat Free Milk
  • 6 Strawberries
  • Ice

With the smoothie I had a piece of 5 Grain Toast with a 1/2 tablespoon of Naturally Nutty’s Chocolate Toffee Butter Peanut Butter on top.

DSCN1289

The smoothie was very refreshing, but again left me freezing! I need to remember to drink these more after long, hard runs on the weekend, rather then a light work out before work.

Yes, I did manage a light work out. Sadly, no run, but I did get my legs moving to the 60 minute kick boxing & medicine ball portion of Kimberly Spreen’s Triple Threat DVD I got via NetFlix.

Usually I would complain about the simplicity of the DVD and its inability to get my heart rate up, but for someone who is recovering from a marathon I would say it was  just about right. My body enjoyed the extra movement, even if its minimal.

I also noticed this morning I was able to do my normal rush skip down the stairs. It is usually something that comes so natural to me, but after a couple of days of going down and up as slow as possible, it felt great. I’m working with baby steps of activity here and each improvement is a big one!

1 Jess June 5, 2009 at 8:18 am

I know how hard it is not to run, but congrats for doing some exercise regardless! I’m sure its helping you recover!!

What is the deal with Jay Robb?? What makes it so much better than other protein powders?? The hot guy on the front?? 😛

2 Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 5, 2009 at 8:28 am

Oh man, i gotta suck it up and buy some more Jay Robb! I’m a HUGE fan of the chocolate in oats, and the vanilla is so amazing in smoothies! Jess, it REALLY doesn’t taste like protein powder…there’s no graininess or chalkiness!

SO glad you’re not so sore anymore!! 🙂

3 Nicole June 5, 2009 at 8:30 am

I’m going to try the Jay Robb powders soon. I think it’s his irresistible photo on the front that is driving me!

4 brandi June 5, 2009 at 8:32 am

Glad you’re feeling better and getting in good activity that feels good right now. You’ll be back and running in no time 🙂

I need to remember to only have smoothies when I’m already hot, too – they make me so cold sometimes!

5 Sammie June 5, 2009 at 8:42 am

I LOVE Jay Robb Vanilla Rice Protein – it is WAY better than any other one I have tried. I can just imagine that the Whey Powder is superb. Your glass full of green goodness looks so fluffy and yummy. Happy Friday!!! I hope you are able to warm up.

6 cocoeatsandcritiques June 5, 2009 at 8:46 am

Jay Robb Vanilla Protein Powder is my stable PP. I love it in my green monsters as well as mixed into my oat bran! You should try that! It has great sticking power and makes the oats taste fab! Cheers to green smoothies and Jay Robb!

7 prettyladycmu June 5, 2009 at 8:46 am

I like balancing my smoothies with oatmeal lately – a little hot, a little cold! Haven’t tried the Jay Robb stuff, but I’m going to keep an eye out for the individual packets!

8 Stacey June 5, 2009 at 9:09 am

I am sooo cautious about buying protein packets for smoothies! I always feel like they will have that chalky taste that I hate…maybe I’ll give Mr. Beefcake a try? Hehe 🙂 Have a good day!

9 jenngirl June 5, 2009 at 9:18 am

I have been FREEZING in my apartment lately too, and it’s sooo hot outside. I guess I need to turn the AC down…

Yummy breakfast 🙂

10 ksgoodeats June 5, 2009 at 9:23 am

Hellooooooo, Mr. Sexy Hot! Glad you enjoyed his addition!!

11 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 5, 2009 at 9:24 am

Yummy (brr) smoothie! I’ve been meaning to try some protein powder in my green smoothies but I have yet too. I like the Jay Robb stuff though.

Glad you are slowly but surely getting back to normal after your marathon. Have a great weekend!

12 Matt June 5, 2009 at 9:31 am

Sounds like you are recovering nicely. I bet you are running by Monday!

13 Jenny June 5, 2009 at 9:58 am

your green monster looks so chic and fabulous ;)!

14 Run Sarah June 5, 2009 at 10:20 am

Your smoothie looks awesome…glad your recovery is still ging well!

15 Island Girl Eats June 5, 2009 at 10:24 am

I am going to have to try one of these Green Monsters. Everyone is making them. They must be really good.

16 biz319 June 5, 2009 at 10:30 am

As much as I love baby spinach, I just can’t bring myself to make a green monster!

Never thought about ordering exercise dvds from Netflix either!

17 Tess June 5, 2009 at 10:38 am

Looks like a great smoothie. It’s making me in the mood for a smoothie….mmn I’m totally going to try and rent exercise DVD’s on netflix.

18 aron June 5, 2009 at 11:09 am

i am so excited you signed up for another marathon 🙂 the day after my first one, i signed up for #2! yesterday i just signed up for 5, 6 AND 7 – YIKES! its addicting – but in a good way! cant wait to follow along for this next round of training!

19 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 5, 2009 at 11:24 am

Glad to hear you’re getting a little spring in your step back!

20 Niki June 5, 2009 at 12:40 pm

The smoothie looks great!! Where did you get that individual serving of protein powder?

21 Danica June 5, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I LOVE Jay Robb Protein Powders!!! Whey is my favorite with egg white being second. The soy is eh. soyish! 🙂

You have to try the chocolate – it’s the best one!

22 phoebe June 5, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Hey I think I’ve commented on here before, but if not I’m Pheebs and I just started blogging.
Anyways, I used to get the soy version of that protein powder. It is very good, but now I buy hemp.
Anyway I am so interested in your marathon training! I am not as intense as you, so I am only training for a half thus far, but if you would mind giving me any advice, I’m all ears.
And also after reading your post, I so want toast! You’d better believe that as soon as I wake up tomorrow I’ll be running for it!
Pheebs

23 Tay June 5, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I’ve been wanting to try that PB for a while, but wasn’t willing to shell out the massive cash. It looks so yum!