New Years Resolutions Revisited

by Meghann on June 4, 2009

On December 31st I posted all of my Resolutions for the New Year.

In the posted I stated that in 2009 I planned to (and I quote) :

• Go on Dates – Hell I would even be happy with talking to just talking with a guy. I had my heart broken this past year, but I believe its time to move on. I’m enjoying being single, but a free meal every once in a while would not hurt either. ;)
  • Run a Full Marathon – This is a long term goal I am hoping to accomplish in the Fall.
  • Compete in a Triathlon – I am registered to run one in March!
  • Save Money – I think this is a given for any list of goals.
  • Take on more responsibility at my Job
  • Spend less time on the computer
  • Maintain weight loss
  • Eat less refined sugars
  • Continue to discover myself and push my limits

I am happy to say that halfway through the year I believe I am doing a hell of a good job keeping these resolutions. 🙂

In January of 2008 my sole resolution was to get fit and lose weight. That resolution drove me to discover myself and turn 2008 into one of my favorite years.

When it was time to create new resolutions for 2009, I thought long and hard on what exactly I wanted to accomplish this year. My resolutions were realistic and gave me goals to work towards.

• Go on Dates – Pretty much as soon as 2009 began Derek started popping up on the blog, so I think we can cross the going on dates off the list. 😉
  • Run a Full MarathonOn Sunday I ran my first full marathon! I gave myself until Fall to complete it, but realized this was a goal I was unwilling to wait to achieve.
  • Compete in Triathlon – In March I did indeed complete my first Sprint Tri and I hope to complete another one at the end of summer
  • Save Money – this is a work in progress…
  • Take on more responsibility at my job – In April and May I helped plan and execute two successful conference with my job. I would say that is mondo amount of responsibility.
  • Spend Less time on the ComputerOk…we might have to skip that one!
  • Maintain weight loss – Check! (though I promise to get a post out next week on how marathon training effected my weight and eating and all that)
  • Eat less refined yogurt – I am trying really hard on the less refined sugars one. Just this morning I mentioned switching from vanilla to plain yogurt. It’s something, right?
  • Continuing to discover myself and pushing my limits is what life is all about!

What do you think? A pretty good start to the year right? Hard to believe we are already halfway through 2009!!

Some of you – ok most of you– have asked me what’s next? Well, I have been on a roll with 2009 and trust me I have no plans to let that streak end anytime soon!

Right now its vacation season! I have 2 vacations coming up in the next month that revolve around relaxing while still being active. Bring on the hot tub and hiking trails!

After that I think I have my schedule all pinned out. * Please note none of these events are written in stone!

• Sprint Tri July/ August – Still trying to decide
  • Miracle Miles 15k – September
  • Space Coast Half Marathon – November
  • Dash of the Elves – December

And you may think I’m crazy, but I just booked my first race for 2010 as well. 😉

Disney

That’s right! My next full marathon will be Disney World! I officially registered for the race a couple of hours ago!

I have been considering this race since I volunteered at it in January, but after consulting with you guys I decided to wait to register until after I ran my first one.

As soon as I crossed the finish line in San Diego, I knew what my fate would be. Some people said after finishing I would probably never want to run another one again, but honestly I can’t wait! I think the key is just to have fun during the race.

The best part about Disney is my sister has agreed to run it with me!! I have already been researching training schedules for when out training begins in September.

Am I crazy? Probably. But there is no bigger high then crossing a finish line after all the hard work you put into it. And while I am still able to do so, I want to achieve that feeling over and over again.

There is so much life out there to live and I want to make sure I take advantage of every second of it.

So there you go. There are my next adventures. What are yours?

Man, I got a rush just writing all of that! I’m sorry if the grammar is bad or there are typos, when I get excited my fingers start typing a mile a minute and a lot of times it does not make any sense!

I guess I can throw some food onto this post as well!

I am happy to report I was successfully able to restock my Trader Joe Peanut Butter Pretzels while I was in San Diego.

DSCN1266

1 serving down, two bags worth or PB goodness to go. 😉

Lunch was basic leftovers.

DSCN1267

I had the other two Summer Roll Halves

DSCN1269

Sweet Potato Fries

DSCN1271

and a nice orange to round it all out.

DSCN1273

I’m now very full and ready for the rest of the day!

1 Amanda June 4, 2009 at 12:47 pm

What a post!! You are very motivating!

I have been working on my resolutions, too! I have become a regular at my local yoga studio and greatly improved my strength through that and the Jillian dvds!

I also wanted to give back, and I am not a part of my yoga studio’s team to walk in the Breast Cancer 3-day in Philly in October! I am raising $2300 and walking 60 miles!!

I’ve also signed up for my second half-marathon in September and continue to work to save more money!!

2 Amanda June 4, 2009 at 12:48 pm

whoops! meant now*, not “not”

3 brandi June 4, 2009 at 12:48 pm

wow! you’re doing awesome on your goals for this year! and congrats on registering for the next marathon – that’s exciting that you’ll get to run that one with your sister!

I have my first ever 10K AND Trail run in 2 days! I’m super excited for it, and after that….I have no idea : ) Something fun, though!

4 fitforfree June 4, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Really awesome post, Meghann — your love for life and new challenges is contagious!

My next adventures = 3.5-mile run next week in Central Park, and a 10K this summer at the beach!! I didn’t really have a New Years Resolution this year beyond starting the blog, but that’s been an adventure as well 🙂

5 Allison June 4, 2009 at 12:50 pm

I love how driven you are – it’s great!

I was actually just looking at the Walt Disney World Full Marathon (but I keep wussing out when it gets to the “paying” point) – maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it!

6 j June 4, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Wow, great work on your goals!

I did the Disney half in January as my first half and it is such a fun race! I’m sure the full is just as fun.

7 Natalie June 4, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Great goals! Glad to see you’ve accomplished so many of them. I’m thinking of doing a triathlon…but a bike seems like so much of a huge investment.

8 Meganerd June 4, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Seems like everyone is running the disney world marathon! I was planning on doing the gasparilla full marathon in tampa b/c i did the half last year and this is the last year they are having the full marathon! Now i’m wondering if I should do Disney instead… hmm.

9 Amanda's Eats June 4, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Way to go on those resolutions!

I think I wanna sign up for the Disney 5k 😛 It sounds so fun!

10 Nicole June 4, 2009 at 1:09 pm

You’re doing fabulous with your goals!

11 lowandbhold June 4, 2009 at 1:22 pm

You really are super inspiring!

I need to take a page from your “go on dates” resolutions. I think I might be the lone single blogger left (not really but it seems like it). Glad you are having such a fab year and kicking so much ass!

12 caitlin June 4, 2009 at 1:34 pm

i want to get my knee straightened out and RUN AGAIN!!!!!

secretly i want to do a marathon. but i doubt that will ever happen. 🙁

13 Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 4, 2009 at 1:43 pm

wow… that’s all I have to say… You are so inspiring!

14 Amanda June 4, 2009 at 1:44 pm

I’m smiling from reading the latest post – you are on a roll and still on a runner’s high from your marathon! You are rocking and rolling with the resolutions, too.

Roasted sweet potatoes are my absolute favorite. I often roast them with rosemary and sea salt. Or I will roast them plain and then drizzle with honey and toss in a few rehydrated dried apricots.

Your orange lunch looks delicious!

15 prettyladycmu June 4, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Congrats on registering for your next marathon, and for making such great progress on your 2009 goals!

16 Mica June 4, 2009 at 1:53 pm

That’s exciting that you’ve already signed up for #2! And great job crossing so many resolutions off your list already!

17 Tanya June 4, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Congrats on going for your goals this year! I planned this year to focus on my personal life more – grad school then working in research left my brain burnt out. I’m definitely doing it and following my heart.

18 Julie June 4, 2009 at 2:08 pm

I’m coming all the way from NY to run my first marathon in the Disney Marathon! Am I crazy?? Youuu betcha!

19 Susan June 4, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Wow, great work on your resolutions!! And we’re not even halfway through the year yet!!! I remember you saying you wanted to do the Disney Marathon, I’m not surprised at all! 😉 Running through Disney World would be an amazing experience!!

20 Jessica June 4, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Wow that’s awesome! I am scared to pull out my list but seeing how great you have done on yours makes me want to take a look at mine and get cracking – there is still time!!

21 HelpMeghanRun June 4, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Wow! What a kickass job on your goals. 🙂 Good job, and it’s so exciting you’re signing up for more races! Way to go.

22 kilax June 4, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I am so excited you signed up for Disney! We’ll be there for the half!

Congrats on sticking to your goals.

23 Julie June 4, 2009 at 2:11 pm

what a fun post!

24 Yasmin June 4, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Favorite quote of the day!

25 Amy C. June 4, 2009 at 2:14 pm

You rocked those goals!!! I have a question for you. I’ve been inspired by your marathon story and now I’m thinking of doing the Hartford, CT marathon in October. It’s my first marathon and I’m overwhelmed by the number of training plans out there. How long before the marathon should I begin training? Also, I know you did yours through TNT but do you have a marathon training schedule that you’d recommend? Any advice is super useful!

26 Ally June 4, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Hi there! I found your site from reading Eat, Live, Run and want to say congratulations on finishing your first marathon! I’ve signed up for my first, which isn’t until November, but, I’m really excited–I’ll be looking forward to reading about how training and whatnot influenced your eating and weight–I seem to be in a battle with that right now!

Anyways, congrats on your marathon and for doing so well on your 2009 goals! I’m scared to re-visit mine because I know I haven’t accomplished them. Yikes!

Have a great day!

27 Island Girl Eats June 4, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I think that I am going to run the full marathon at Disney too. I did my first half marathon there in January 2006. The atmosphere is amazing! The medals are pretty cool too!

28 MaryBe June 4, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Congrats on everything! Really! This was a great post, shows how far you have come in such a short time

29 Matt June 4, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Sounds like your year is off to a great start! Well it is about half over!

30 eatinnyc June 4, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Go you! Another marathon? you’re such an inspiration! I didn’t get into the ING marathon and I’m pretty bummed out, but 2010 will be the year of my marathon-ing 🙂 (guaranteed entry)
Sara

31 Michelle June 4, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I am so glad you signed up for another marathon!!!!!!!!

32 jenngirl June 4, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Looks like you’re doing an amazing job! And it’s only June! 🙂

33 Karena June 4, 2009 at 2:55 pm

I think it’s awesome that you’re already thinking about your second marathon! I’ve heard Disney is great too…happy training 🙂

34 Meredith (Pursuing Balance) June 4, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Congrats on accomplishing your resolutions! I still haven’t accomplished mine (learning to ride a bike) but that doesn’t mean I haven’t tried 🙂

35 strivingforbalance June 4, 2009 at 3:17 pm

awesome post! great job in 2009 so far! you are kicking your resolutions butt! haha

36 Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) June 4, 2009 at 3:17 pm

So many accomplishments and we’re only half way through 2009! Way to go! I didn’t make any resolutions for 2009. I was 6 months pregnant at New Year’s so I was just focused on having a healthy baby. Seeing your list is inspiring me to dream big for 2010. I’ve always wanted to train for a race….

37 April June 4, 2009 at 3:41 pm

How inspiring, good job with your resolution! I am participating in an urban race Saturday which involves running, biking, kayaking and some other stuff, it’s all kind of a mystery right now. The course and all is a secret so participants don’t really know what to expect. And Sunday is my first half marathon eeeekkk!

38 gina (fitnessista) June 4, 2009 at 3:49 pm

what a great post!
i’m thinking about doing the disney marathon… we shall see 😉 i was just at the website yesterday, debating
have a great day!

39 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health June 4, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Congrats on all of your resolutions. I should have made some! Running your next marathon with your sister sounds great!

40 Leah June 4, 2009 at 4:35 pm

You are doing awesome so far this year! You should be super proud of yourself!

I can’t wait to read your post next week about eating, weight gain/loss while training for a marathon!

I know this sounds weird, but I would love to hear the gory details that you left out about how you felt after mile 20. I think for me, seeing as i’m training for a half and someday maybe a full marathon I’d like to know what i’m potentially in for!

41 ksgoodeats June 4, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Way to go with your resolutions!! I think you can do ANYTHING you set your mind to!

42 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) June 4, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Looks like you’re rocking the resolutions! Good job lady 😀

43 Justy2003 June 4, 2009 at 6:12 pm

You’re doing awesome with the goals for 2009! And congrats on signing up for your 2nd marathon! Should be fun to train and run it with your sister!

44 Bec June 4, 2009 at 6:19 pm

wow you’ve done a great job with the resolutions!

45 Hangry Pants June 4, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Not crazy – totally awesome. I wish I could come to Orlando and train and run it with you!!!!

46 Diana June 4, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Wow, you are just crossing off your list like craze. Good for you. You have some great events planned for the rest of the year. And, another marathon, you go!

47 Meghan June 4, 2009 at 8:53 pm

you’re a rockstar!! congrats on signing up for Disney..that race looks sooo fuun!!

48 Niki June 4, 2009 at 9:35 pm

That sounds so fun to run Disney!! I have always wanted that to be my first full marathon but unfortunately won’t be 2010 because I will be back in school:(

49 catruns June 5, 2009 at 7:55 am

Yay! I’m running the Disney Princess Half marathon next March! I’m super excited, it’ll be my first race! (assuming no local 5 or 10 k’s come up before then). I meant to mention this on your last post, but I found recently that the sugar in things like Kashi Go Lean Crunch totally makes plain yogurt do-able, which was surprising since I liked it so little the first time I had it plain!

50 Danica June 5, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Yeah – congrats on taking the leap to do another. I think it’s so cool that you have an amazing running buddy (your sis!) to do it with you. that really does make all the difference in the world.

I LOVE Jeff Galloway and Hal Hidgon’s training schedules. They both have books out but you can get alot of FREE training schedules, tips, etc online.

Runner’s World Mag (if you don’t already have it) is a great motivator as you go along – I LOVE all the tips you get from it.