Marathon Split Times

by Meghann on June 4, 2009

Last night I finally got around to uploading my Garmin stats from the marathon to my lap top.

GarminStats

I literally stared at my split times for over an hour studying them. I really find all this information fascinating. I guess that truly makes me a running nerd!

You can really see where I was starting to break down after mile 20. Everything above that is around an 11 min pace. Under mile 20 I was running comfortably under the 10 minute pace. I guess the goal for my next marathon would be to retain that 10 minute pace through the end. It’s hard though, after mile 20 you just don’t care what your pace is anymore.

Also, can you see at the top my total miles ran was 26.49? I think when Bobbi finished hers was 26.93 or something. I know you can never measure it out perfect because you have to calculate how they exactly measured the course and the difference of angle you ran it in, but I remember seeing my garmin roll to 26.2 miles near the end and I wanted to cry because according to the garmin the race should be over, but the finish line still looked so far in the distance!

Seeing these stats again and knowing what I can accomplish is really amusing to me right now. Especially since this morning was my first attempt at any cardio activity besides a steady walk. I set out to do 30 minutes on the elliptical and could only manage a slight hill incline at a level 3 resistance.

It was a nice and easy work out that allowed me to read New Moon for the duration. Towards the end my legs were actually feeling ok, but at the beginning they were refusing to bump it up to level 4.

I’m not complaining though. I know recovery takes time and I am in no hurry to rush in to an injury. :) I am hoping to go for a swim or something tomorrow.

Breakfast included a new purchase from my Trader Joes visit in San Diego.

DSCN1259

I was determined to bring home a box of cereal and this one looked fun. I perhaps should have studied the sugar content a bit more because right out of the box it was very sweet, but thrown into my mix it was quite enjoyable.

DSCN1261

• 1/2 cup TJ Strawberry Yogurt O’s
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Strawberry Fields
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crunch
  • Plain Non-Fat Yogurt
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries

DSCN1263

The cereal combination was great. I felt like all the different textures gave each bit a little something of everything.

I am trying to make the transition from Vanilla yogurt to Plain because of the high sugar content in the Vanilla. Though I would not eat plain on its own, the sweetness of the cereals and fruit really help it out.

Can you believe its Thursday already? I have really enjoyed these short weeks, too bad every week can’t be the same!

1 Marie June 4, 2009 at 8:07 am

Hi Meghann,

Kind of a random question, but what kind of yogurt do you eat? I transitioned out of the low-cal fake-sugar diet yogurt into the plain/vanilla non-fat or Greek yogurt world; however, I haven’t found a brand with low sugar (less than 10g) and somewhat low cals. I live in a city so I have access to a few different grocery stores, but am unsure what I should be looking for in a yogurt (aside from taste).

Thanks!

Marie

2 Meghann June 4, 2009 at 8:51 am

Hi Marie,

I purchase the 32 oz of Stoneyfield Fat Free Yogurt on a regular basis. Depending on sales or my mood I also purchase Chobani or Oikos periodically.

The Vanilla Stoneyfield has 33g of sugar and 180 calories per cup compared to the plain with 16g of sugar and 110 calories per cup.

I never stated that the sugar in plain was low, but as you can see there is a significant difference between the vanilla and plain flavor.

I hope that helps!

3 Marie June 4, 2009 at 11:55 am

thanks Meghann for the response!

4 Meg June 4, 2009 at 8:27 am

Hope your recovery continues to go well. Yummy breakfast!

5 Whitney June 4, 2009 at 8:30 am

What model of Garmin do you use? I have been looknig for a HRM that does exactly what yours seems to do (import to the computer, track time, calories, pace, average, splits, etc).

Any feedback is great. Congrats on the marathon, too!

6 Meghann June 4, 2009 at 8:52 am

I use the Garmin 305 and LOVE IT!! It’s a bit pricey but totally worth it!

7 Meganerd June 4, 2009 at 8:31 am

Wow! You did really well :)

I think it would be really difficult to go from running almost every day (training for the marathon) to having to do the elliptical, but it’s all part of recovery. You seem to be doing well with it!

I’m TOTALLY a running nerd, and love all the stats and graphs, etc that Garmin spits out. …. maybe thats why I call my blog Meganerd runs lol. :)

Megan

8 Danielle June 4, 2009 at 8:37 am

That must be so fun to be able to review a marathon on your garmin.
I think you did absolutely amazing!

9 prettyladycmu June 4, 2009 at 8:37 am

Congrats on your recovery progress! I was a mess for a solid week after my race and I remember running the 3 mile leg of a marathon relay 7 days after my own marathon and I felt like my elgs were made of lead!

Your fresh fruit looks so bright and vibrant – enjoy!!

10 Alison June 4, 2009 at 8:46 am

I’m a totally numbers nerd too. I love looking at the data.

It IS possible to make the switch from vanilla to plain. I’m making my way there too and NEVER thought I could enjoy plain yogurt, but I do!

11 brandi June 4, 2009 at 8:52 am

sounds like a good recovery workout and I love that you can see your split times with the garmin – that’s my favorite thing!

I’ve made my own “vanilla” yogurt before by just adding a bit of vanilla extract to the plain – it’s still tart, but it gives it a nice flavor.

12 jenngirl June 4, 2009 at 9:01 am

thats’s really cool to see all your times!!

i switched to plain and actually prefer it! fruits and cereal mixins help :)

13 Stephanie June 4, 2009 at 9:09 am

I am trying to shift to plain yogurt too, but I just can’t stomach the stuff! I don’t like things very sweet either, so I seem to have just given up yogurt all together… I wish plain yogurt didn’t taste like sour cream!

14 Susan June 4, 2009 at 9:26 am

It’s really interesting to see your Garmin split! There’s no debating the fact that I’m a nerd :P

I’m in the middle of the vanilla to plain yogurt transistion too. I find adding a little vanilla extract to the plain help, and that the 1-2% yogurts aren’t as tart as the non-fat variety.

15 runnerskitchen June 4, 2009 at 9:31 am

That’s so cool that you have exact splits for the marathon! After mile 20, it’s all about getting to the finish any way you can :-)

16 Jess June 4, 2009 at 9:34 am

Amen to the short weeks….I really think the work week should only be 4 days long, because my brain is on Friday already!

Thanks for posting your stats. That Garmin is pretty sweet looking. Maybe when I’m a “big girl runner” I’ll invest in one even though I wish I could just have one now…it would be a big motivator I think. Anyone want to give one of those away? haha j/k.

17 Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 4, 2009 at 9:36 am

My older sister is the same way with her yogurt. She loves vanilla, but finds plain too tart. I, on the other hand, find the vanilla way too sweet. It’s interesting how peoples taste buds work!

18 calabazapie June 4, 2009 at 9:49 am

Congratulations on the marathon! You did so great! Haha, I am having one of those weeks where it is flying by too, which is great! Long weekends really help! I also tried making the switch from vanilla yogurt to plain. The fruit and cereal helps, but I can’t really do it without adding a little spoon of jam or honey to the plain yogurt. It’s just to tart for me otherwise.

19 Nicole June 4, 2009 at 9:52 am

I cannot eat plain yogurt! I tried to eat plain soy yogurt and it made me nauseous. Booo!

20 Amy C. June 4, 2009 at 10:13 am

I’ve tried plain yogurt for the same reasons and I just can’t get used to it. I do prefer Stonyfield to other brands though. As for the sugar content, I think with dairy products you get some natural sugar in there from the dairy (as opposed to added sugar) so it’s not so bad if it’s above 10g or so.

I’m amazed looking at your stats too. You’re really good at keeping a constant pace for most of the race!When I ran track I always loved seeing the breakdown during my 1 and 2 mile runs. My coach would write down each lap pace. I’d love to get a Garmin just so I could accurately see my pacing on runs. I think that’ll be my next big purchase!

21 Mica June 4, 2009 at 10:19 am

I buy/make non-fat, plain yogurt, but I usually have to add something sweet to it. Sometimes, I can get by with just some juicy fruits, but most of the time, I add some honey.

22 Lea June 4, 2009 at 10:22 am

oh i always love love your yogurt + fruit + cereal breakfast combo. i too prefer this over a hot bowl of oatmeal.

i finally tried Fage for the first time cause they were on sale for $1 and truly loved it. it had the perfect amount of tartness and was real thick (i guess this constitutes a “that’s what she said” here).

that’s one of my fav TJ cereal brand. granted the suga content is undesirable, but damn it’s good. i also like the texture cause it’s sorta grainy.

23 HelpMeghanRun June 4, 2009 at 10:28 am

Way to go! The split times look great, and kudos for switching to plain yogurt. :)

24 skinnymenny June 4, 2009 at 10:29 am

How neat to be able to review your run mile by mile like that! Those Garmins are too cool for school :)

That TJ’s cereal reminds me of Strawberry Shortcake cereal when I was a kid….what a random thing from my childhood to remember!

25 jennyh June 4, 2009 at 10:33 am

great job meghann! i am thinking about getting the garmin, does the chest strap bother you? do you have any sports bras that work better with it or have a built in hr monitor pocket?

what will your next marathon be?

26 Matt June 4, 2009 at 10:54 am

I actually only eat plain yogurt. To me it tastes better actually!

27 biz319 June 4, 2009 at 11:04 am

Yep, you’ve officially become a running geek! Nothing wrong with that though!

That’s why I had to switch to Fage – only 7 grams of sugar for the 0% – nice!

28 Rachel June 4, 2009 at 11:13 am

I like where it shows you running at 12.7 mph! I can just picture you zoooooming around some slow people or something, hehe :)

29 Run Sarah June 4, 2009 at 11:16 am

I buy NF yogurt but I won’t eat it plain – sweetened with real fruit I can’t tell the difference!

30 Hallie June 4, 2009 at 11:45 am

I got that cereal too when we went to TJ…I really like it, but I’ve got a sweet tooth. I’ve also been mixing it with plain greek yogurt, but I also have to throw half a ripe banana in there. (I know, you and your readers are fascinated)

I was actually bummed because on the box, it looks like there should be bits of yogurt-covered strawberries and O’s, but I didn’t really find any. I thought I got a defective box! But it’s probably better that way…breakfast really SHOULDN’T be dessert…I guess :-D

31 ksgoodeats June 4, 2009 at 11:50 am

I’m a big plain yogurt fan simply because you can sweeten/flavor it to your own liking! I like to be in control of my foods ;)

32 Christina June 4, 2009 at 12:31 pm

I don’t like plain yogurt by itself either but there’s so many possibilities for add ins! I love me some plain greek yogurt with PB2 :)

33 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 4, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I can see where you studied that for quite some time, that’s a lot of numbers!

I don’t eat plain yogurt by itself either but its great with cereal and/or fruit. I’ve also mixed in some canned pumpkin with it before and that was great :)

34 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 4, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Congratulations on reaching so many goals! That’s remarkable! Many people make resolutions and then they kind of get put by the wayside so kudos to you!!

So exciting that you signed up for your next marathon!!! That would be an amazing one to do!!

Great looking meals!!

Have a great one!

35 Melissa S. June 4, 2009 at 2:04 pm

dude, those splits are great! there is always that kind of wall you hit..but damn did you over come it!!!

36 N.D. June 4, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Hi there, I’ve just come across your blog. I am looking to do an online bakesale auction to raise money for Dana Farber – I ran the Boston Marathon in April with them. What a cool idea!

37 Liz @ intheskinny June 4, 2009 at 2:58 pm

I liked looking at your running stats! I think if I had a Garmin I would run another marathon just to see the splits. :)

38 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 4, 2009 at 4:27 pm

I really hope I can get a Garmin sometime. They seem so useful.

39 Melissa June 4, 2009 at 9:51 pm

wow Meghann, you are too amazing for words! I seriously can’t believe how committed you are to acheiving your goals! rock on girl, look forward to all referenced posts.

40 Tay June 5, 2009 at 12:33 am

Okay, this makes me even more jealous as the 2 major marathons I wish to run are the SD Rock & Roll and the Disneyworld marathon!! You go girl. And really…do take it easy! I pushed too hard after my last marathon, and my sore calf never healed up – it still hurts me to this day. Rest girlie!!