It's Magic

by Meghann on June 4, 2009

Thank you, for all of your wonderful support in my decision to run the Disney Marathon in January! You guys truly are amazing and truly my inspiration to keep doing what I do.

Since living on my own I have discovered I can work magic with left overs. Because no matter how much I try to perfectly portion for one I somehow always end up with the dreaded left overs. Luckily as I have showcased on this blog multiple times, leftovers can be turned into some fun and new with just a little imagination.

I give you dinner to tonight as example #234242. 😉

DSCN1278

I started with leftover Tofu and Sweet and Sour Cabbage from last night. I was tempted just to mix the tofu with the cabbage and call it a night, but after a quick survey of the cabinet and fridge I found some items that would complete this dish.

In the mix I ended up with

• Tofu
  • Sweet & Sour Cabbage
  • Whole Wheat Cous Cous
  • Raisins
  • Tomato
  • Dash of Garam Marsala
  • Pecans

This meal took 5 minutes to throw together and was amazingly tasty. I heated up 2/3 cup of cous cous with a handful of raisins according to the box directions then added everything else on low heat until it was heated through.

DSCN1279

The rasins plumped with the cous cous. They gave the dish a nice sweet touch that complimented the flavors of the cabbage and cous cous. I was very pleaed with the overall flavors.

The irony of if all is that this actually made two complete servings, which leaves me with yet another set of left overs in the fridge. I will just have to turn it into another fabulous meal for lunch. 🙂

Dessert was the other half of the Dark Chocolate Lumpy Bumpy Bar from Tuesday night. 🙂

DSCN1283

Thanks again Bobbi for the sweet treat. I loved it! 🙂

This afternoon I was begging for my snack a good half hour earlier then I usually break into it. My lunch may have been filling at the time, but boy did it empty quickly.

DSCN1276

The individual serving of Trader Joe’s Trek Mix helped fill me back up. The hearty combination of nuts, seeds and dried fruit held me over until my 7:00 dinner time.

Tomorrow is Friday!!! Yay!!! Come back tomorrow for some more reflection on marathon training. I am glad everyone is interested in hearing about, because I promise I can go on and on about marathon details forever. 🙂 I hope this running high never ends!

1 Jessica L. June 4, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Hi Meghann–

I stumbled upon your blog a few weeks ago and I LOVE it. I’ve got some pounds to lose…quite a few, actually…and your blog is wonderful for ideas on new foods and activities. I love how you post the pictures of each meal and talk about how they fill you up. I’ve even started eating a little bit of granola mixed with vanilla low-fat yogurt and putting strawberries on top. (I think you’re right…it is getting a bit sweet with the vanilla. Next time, I’m getting plain yogurt.)

Just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that you are an inspiration (gosh I hate cliches…and that’s an especially offensive one…but I couldn’t think of another word) to a 30 year-old mom of 3 in Wisconsin.

I’ve read your story, and I like how you are just eating healthier things. I’ve started doing that myself, now that I have a visual of some of the healthier things. 🙂 A group of girlfriends and I have started walking everynight, too. It’s nothing like a marathon, but it’s a start!

One idea for a breakfast or snack I got from a healthy friend of mine is low-fat cottage cheese on whole wheat toast, with a bit of low-sugar strawberry jam on top. Yum!

Thanks for writing the blog, and keep it coming. I love it!

-Jessica
Wisconsin Dells, WI

2 loneil410 June 4, 2009 at 7:23 pm

I love that you can re-create masterpieces with leftovers. I have the same problem. I always intend to make just enough for one meal and then I ALWAYS go overboard on the veggies and and have a crap load of leftovers.

I usually find that throwing everything into a big salad for lunch the next day works the best.

And I absolutely can not BARE to throw food away.

Can’t wait to read more on your marathon training. I am getting so nervous and excited for my upcoming 1/2, and I love hearing all of your inspiring words.

Take care hun!

3 Tess Donohoe June 4, 2009 at 7:39 pm

I can’t wait to hear it.

4 Nicole June 4, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Your left-over creations are fabulous! I live alone as well and I can’t stand leftovers, usually so I need to come up with some creative and tasty things like you do!

5 Run Sarah June 4, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Excited to hear your marathon reflection training!

6 prettyladycmu June 4, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Such a creative creation from your leftovers! Looks so tasty – I LOVE raisins in my cous cous!

7 Julie June 4, 2009 at 8:06 pm

definitely keep those marathon tips coming! disney is going to be my first and I need AS MUCH help as possible 🙂 I hope we can meet when I come to Disney too!!

8 Bec June 4, 2009 at 8:07 pm

I love how creative you are with your leftovers! Cant wait for the marathon training stuff I am thinking of running my first half in the fall and need tips

9 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health June 4, 2009 at 8:15 pm

There are two of us and we always have leftovers! I am not as creative with them though!

10 Tanya June 4, 2009 at 8:17 pm

I;m cooking for 4 now and I STILL have left-overs. LOL – I’m over compensating from cooking for 1.

11 Meganerd June 4, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I love that you are always coming up with creative stuff to do with leftovers! I wish I had your skills!!!

I can’t wait to read about how the marathon affected you!

12 Matt June 4, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Congrats on Disney! That marathon would be so aweosme. It runs through all the parks right?

13 N.D. June 4, 2009 at 9:06 pm

disney is a fun one. I want to do the goofy challenge. My sister ran the marathon last year and I ran the last 8 with her. IT was cool having characters along the course.

14 Sarah June 4, 2009 at 9:40 pm

That lumpy bumpy bar looks like my ass. I kid.

15 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 4, 2009 at 10:36 pm

The lumpy bumpy bar looks delish!

16 Lo June 4, 2009 at 11:51 pm

I just started reading your blog and I love it! I too am a Trader Joe’s fanatic and a running enthusiast. Actually a search of running blogs is how I found you.

I just recently started my own so its off to a slow and a bit rough start – but check it out if you are interested.

17 rhodeygirl June 5, 2009 at 7:38 am

oh i am really excited to see your post on how marathon training affecting your weight and eating. when i was first losing weight i trained for a half marathon and my weight basically plateaued that entire time. so weird!

18 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 5, 2009 at 7:50 am

Hey Meghann! It is absolutely exciting that you signed up for your second marathon. I definitely want to sign up for my first marathon sometime soon that I have quite a few halves under my belt 🙂 The hold back now is my going back to school this coming fall after being out for four years. I want to see what the work load is like at law school before I commit to something like that. I am sure I can handle it but I definitely prefer having a better grasp of everything first. I look forward to hearing about some training recommendations.

Great dinner! Re-invention is always fun! I actually love leftovers. I find they often taste better after marinating a little longer. Yum!!

Have a great Friday!!!!!!

19 bobbi June 5, 2009 at 11:00 am

I am so glad you loved the treat!!!!