Relaxation

by Meghann on June 3, 2009

Sorry about totally bailing on blogging last night! My blog software is still acting up on my mac, so I decided soaking in the bath tub and catching up on the TV was a MUCH better idea then arguing with my laptop. πŸ˜‰

Oh yes…. much better idea. πŸ˜‰

I was pleasantly surprised how quickly work flew by yesterday! I guess when you come back from two days off and an afternoon full of meetings, you don’t have time to stare at the clock tick by. I loved it!

Around 3:00 I was able to dig into my afternoon snack of dried mango and pineapple.

DSCN1200

My original plans to go phone shopping were quickly demolished when I realized how desperately I was craving the massage I had promised myself after the race. After a quick phone call I was able to make a 5:45 appointment with the local Massage Envy. One of my TnT roommates had highly recommended the chain and at $39 for an hour massage how could I resist?

DSCN1204

I told the therapist where I hurt and to please help fix it. She said she had plenty of experience massaging runners and knew exactly where all the tight spots were. Now I need to state this was not a relaxing, gentle massage. The therapist was great at applying great deep pressure that was able to get some of the knots out. She was even able to stretch my legs a bit. I am sure I was making a painful face for most of the massage, but it was all worth it when I left feeling as if all this pressure had been relieved.

DSCN1203

I really need to invest in more massages while training. I felt great strolling around Publix post massage. The tightness between my shoulders was gone and my legs felt like they finally had gotten the great stretch they deserved.

It was pretty late by the time I made it to Publix and I knew I was not going to be in the mood to pull anything together for dinner, so I grabbed some dinner from the sushi counter and called it a night.

DSCN1205

I love these rolls! I have no clue what they are called, but they are filled with avocado, shrimp, and other yummy veggies.

DSCN1210

My eyes are always bigger then my stomach, I only ended up eating 2 of the 4 halves

The best part was the sweet chili sauce.

DSCN1211

I am usually not one for dipping sauces, but this one gets me every time. πŸ™‚

On the side I decided to try Seaweed Salad for the first time.

DSCN1214

It started out tasting really good, but then it started tasting really salty to me. I ate about half before giving up.

The massage therapist told me I needed to drink lots of water tonight and take a nice hot bath. I can’t remember the last time I had a hot bath and decided it would be a great idea.

DSCN1216

I grabbed the Epson Salt, a good book and got to relaxing.

DSCN1215

Oh yes, a nice bath was just what the doctor ordered. I soaked for 30 full minutes and it felt great! I should have taken a bath right after the marathon, that would have been a very smart idea.

After relaxing I had 1/2 of this Bar Bobbi had given me in San Diego.

DSCN1218

At first I thought half would be too small, but it was so rich 1/2 was just right. πŸ™‚

DSCN1219

I then proceeded to crash for the night and was able to blissfully wake up 8 hours, refresh and renewed. πŸ™‚

I started my morning with some great leg stretching in the form of Yoga for Runners via YogaDownloads.com and the fabulous Polly. I also threw in some crunches and ab holds. I tried do some jumping jacks, but after one I realized it was not the best idea today.

I used my extra time in the morning to put together a FABULOUS breakfast!

DSCN1221

Look at all that beautiful fruit! Yum! Yum! Yum!

DSCN1222

I made some French Toast with Publix 5 Grain Bread dipped in some egg whites. I then topped it with some Plain Oikos and a beautiful, vibrant mix of fresh Kiwi, Strawberries, and Blueberries. I can’t even tell you how good this was!

I have another busy day ahead of me. Happy Wednesday everyone!

1 kristen June 3, 2009 at 7:49 am

This seems like a pretty random first time comment, but I’ve been following for awhile and just wanted to say that I’m glad I’m not the only one that eats kiwi skin. Anytime I eat kiwi fruit with the skin I get very strange looks and when I tell them that the skin is actually quite tasty, they REALLY think I’m nuts.

Congratulations on your first marathon! I loved reading about your journey.

2 Leslie June 3, 2009 at 7:50 am

I definitely agree with you about the sweet chili sauce! And I’ve never seen anyone eat their kiwi with the skin on haha

3 rhodeygirl June 3, 2009 at 7:58 am

we have a massage envy opening up here! for a minute i was confused and thought heather (HP) was visiting her parents and i was on her blog, but it’s a chain!

4 Mica June 3, 2009 at 8:06 am

I’ve never had a massage, but I’m thinking that might change this summer!

I always start out loving seaweed salad, and by the end, I’m kind of sick of it. I think it’s just too salty.

5 Mica June 3, 2009 at 8:08 am

I’ve never had a massage, but I’m thinking that might change this summer!

6 Meganerd June 3, 2009 at 8:21 am

I’ve heard great things about the massage envy place. I’m glad you enjoyed your well-deserved massage and bath.

I haven’t said this before but thanks for raising money for those battling leukemia! my grandfather just passed away a few months ago from the disease and it is Really horrible to watch someone go thru that. I’m glad there are ppl like you out there who care enough to raise money and run for something greater than yourself!! you are truly amazing! So, Thanks!!!

Megan

7 Meg June 3, 2009 at 8:35 am

So glad the massage helped!
Those Spring Rolls look fabulous!

8 lowandbhold June 3, 2009 at 8:38 am

I love/hate massages like that. Sometimes it’s nice to just lay there and relax, but it’s definitely better to get your kinks worked out.

Glad you had a relaxing evening! Baths are amazing!

9 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 3, 2009 at 8:45 am

The chocolate bar looks DEElish!

10 sarah (ghost world) June 3, 2009 at 8:45 am

i’m glad you had a good experience at massage envy. i actually didn’t — i felt like the service i got was sort of impersonal and the massage was meh compared to others that i’ve had. i prefer a non-chain, local salon. but $39/hr is a pretty fabulous price!

11 jentrinque June 3, 2009 at 8:50 am

Hmm, seaweed salad does not look like something I’d like, but that breakfast sure looks terrific.

Glad you’re felling stretched out and better!

12 brandi June 3, 2009 at 8:50 am

massage + bath = the perfect night sometimes πŸ™‚ glad you got in some good relaxation.

your french toast looks awesome!

13 sfdg June 3, 2009 at 8:57 am

ahhh you eat the peel of the kiwi!

14 Quinn June 3, 2009 at 9:04 am

What a colorful breakfast!

Those rolls that accompanied your seaweed salad are Shrimp Summer Rolls. At least, that’s what they’re called here in DC πŸ™‚ And I love them.

Good for you for treating yourself to some R&R. And $39 for an hour? I thought $80 was a steal – that’s fantastic!

15 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 3, 2009 at 9:07 am

Meghann- amazing call on the massage! It is soooo painful but worth it and so needed! And the bath too! It helps with relieving the tension. I hope you are feeling better now- not that you were feeling really bad by the sounds of it. πŸ™‚

Have a great day!

16 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 3, 2009 at 9:09 am

Have a great day!

17 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health June 3, 2009 at 9:10 am

I am glad you finally got to relax! Breakfast looks great!

18 Sarah June 3, 2009 at 9:43 am

I’m glad you are treating yourself so nicely, that bath and massage sound great!

Love the breakfast…hope you have a great day πŸ™‚

19 Sarah June 3, 2009 at 9:45 am

Love the breakfast…hope you have a great day πŸ™‚

20 Alison June 3, 2009 at 9:48 am

Gosh I was SO SORE after my first marathon, sounds like your recovery is going much smoother than mine! Standing up, sitting down, the stairs…. it’s all coming back to me now!

21 Hangry Pants June 3, 2009 at 9:54 am

The massage sound glorious!!!!

22 ksgoodeats June 3, 2009 at 10:00 am

I need to schedule a massage! That sounds heavenly!!

23 prettyladycmu June 3, 2009 at 10:02 am

Your breakfast looks amazing!! I bet the massage was just what you needed, though I couldn’t have imagined getting a massage right after my first marathon. Everything hurt SO much for almost a week after that I probably would have gone through the roof if someone had applied pressure to my muscles. Glad you’re recovering well!

24 Jenny June 3, 2009 at 10:13 am

oh a massage and warm bath.. jealous! you are livin’ the fab life girlfriend πŸ˜‰

25 biz319 June 3, 2009 at 10:35 am

It’s good to take a night off and just pamper yourself!

Which reminds me, its probably been A YEAR since my last bath – sounds good!

I can’t do massages – I am so ticklish I end up laughing the whole time!

Do you not peel your skin on your kiwi??

26 juliegolean June 3, 2009 at 10:57 am

Wow that sounds like a great way to pamper yourself! In a good hurt kind of way.. haha

That bath sounds so good! You def deserved it girl πŸ™‚

27 Michelle June 3, 2009 at 11:12 am

So glad your post-race hunger has returned!! Wouldn’t want anything to be all funky, but I’m sure it’s completely normal! πŸ™‚

YAY for massages…they are SO worth the money. They’re simply amazing! Have a great day! πŸ™‚

28 claire June 3, 2009 at 11:34 am

Those are Vietnamese summer rolls…I LOVE them! In fact, that’s what I get when I (rarely) get to go to Cheesecake factory, along with a salad. Mmm! Glad the massage helped so much!

29 Marissa June 3, 2009 at 11:37 am

I have tight IT bands so massages are a great thing in my book!!

30 Amandaa June 3, 2009 at 11:39 am

relaxing in the bath is always a great
way to go. and mad props with the book
choice! edward cullen is the perfect
companion in the tub…

that bar looks delish!

31 Stacey June 3, 2009 at 11:55 am

I didn’t know that you can eat kiwi skins!! My mother always told me that eating the skins of a kiwi will tear your stomach up lol, I guess mama ain’t always right πŸ™‚ Glad you treated yourself to a massage! You totally deserve it

32 Karena June 3, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Ah summer rolls! So yummy! Next time you should try them with a peanut sauce…it’s so addictive – savory and a little sweet πŸ™‚ http://www.chow.com/recipes/10658

33 Danielle June 3, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Good for you , you totally deserved that massage!

34 skinnymenny June 3, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I love Massage Envy! I keep debating about signing up for their membership plan, but it just seems so…indulgent! Maybe that’s not a bad thing πŸ™‚

35 katecooks June 3, 2009 at 12:31 pm

i need to get back into taking hot baths again! i even have a little bath pillow with suction cups for extra reading/relaxation pleasure πŸ™‚ they are just so soothing!!! glad u are feeling more relaxed and stretched out!

36 Danica June 3, 2009 at 1:38 pm

I LOVE the spring rolls and that chili sauce too!

I found a recipe that I made that resembles it ALOT.

I really think the TJ’s Mango Ginger Chutney is best, but, I know you don’t have a TJ’s there πŸ™

37 Emily June 3, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Way to treat yourself! I often have to remind myself that my body needs rest just like it needs exercise (and chocolate doesn’t hurt either). …my husband is a certified massage therapist, so I’m kind of spoiled, too.

38 eatingbirdfood June 3, 2009 at 3:51 pm

I love those spring rolls with the crab, shrimp and avocado as well. I think we have the same brand here because it has that same delicious sweet chili sauce.

Quick ? – What blogging software do you use on your mac??

39 Tabby June 3, 2009 at 4:47 pm

That sushi roll sounds delicious and I see you are reading New Moon- it is so good!

40 Jessica June 3, 2009 at 8:31 pm

It’s nice to see someone else eats the kiwi skin. Everyone always thinks it’s weird but even back when I barely ate any fruit kiwi was my favourite and I always ate them whole like an apple (minus the little stem at the end). So delicious.

41 KatieF June 7, 2009 at 7:58 am

About that pain behind the back of your knee…I started having pain behind the back of my knee about 8 years ago while playing tennis one day and it turned out that I had a low, partial tear of my hamstring. It ended up requiring about 2 months of physical therapy and while never totally healed, it doesn’t bother me much now. I’d get that checked out if it keeps bothering you. Good luck!