more ยป" />

The Day After…

by Meghann on June 1, 2009

I had been warned sitting over 5 hours on an airplane the day after you run a marathon, is not a good idea. I was warned of lactid acid build up and overall soreness of immobile legs that want to be stretched out. All the stories made me very nervous to fly today. However, I am happy to report that sitting on the plane was just what the doctor ordered.

Besides a tight right leg, I feel great! My post marathon hobble is almost gone and I have even remastered leaning over and sitting up and down all by myself! I was expecting alot worse, but I’m not complaining. ๐Ÿ™‚

Last night I ended up working on my race recap until 9:30! The program I use to blog was not cooperating and after some choice words and the urge to throw my lap top against the wall, I gave up. At this point I had been up since 3:45am, had ran 26.2 miles, not had a nap and was about to collapse from exhaustion. My Ecto still is not working and I am blogging directly from WordPress. Is anyone else having any problem with Ecto?!?!

The uncontrollable hunger I was expecting surprisingly never came, but I knew I needed to eat something. I grabbed single serving of Trader Joe’s Trek Mix Nuts and called it a night.

DSCN1169

I slept like a baby! It was a great well deserved slumber that could have gone on and on, if I didn’t have places to go and people to see. ๐Ÿ™‚

I do have to admit the first step out of bed was a doosey. The back of my right leg was very, very tight but the left one felt great. We were told to meet the group down stairs at 7:00am, so my roommate and I took a nice walk to the gaslamp district to stretch our legs before the flight and get a good breakfast.

We ended up at the same cafe I had lunch at on Saturday. I ordered an English Breakfast Tea to help wake me up and was surprised to have it served in a big ole beer mug. ๐Ÿ™‚

DSCN1170

With the tea I had an Egg & Veggie Sandwhich on Whole Wheat Bread with a little bit of fruit on the side.

DSCN1171

I was craving protein bad and finished the whole plate.

When it was time to head to the airport, it was great to have the opportunity to finally speak with the rest of my TnT group and share our marathon horror stories. Everyone had a unique view of the race and a great story to tell. I feel like I could rehash the events of the marathon over and over again! Everyone was stumbling around a bit and joking about which muscles hurt the worst.

A few of us were wearing our marathon shirts and medals with pride. The person at the ticket counter, the security personnel, and even the stewardesses all congradulated us on our accomplishments. You can’t help but feel so proud with all the praise people give you.

We arrived plenty of time before the flight giving me the opporunity to blog and wait in the overflowing line at Starbucks for a wonderful Grande Green Iced Tea.

DSCN1173

As soon as we boarded I had a small Peach to fill the fruit void I felt I was missing.

DSCN1174

My hotel roommates and I flashing our accomplishments. ๐Ÿ™‚

DSCN1176

I started to feel rather empty towards the end of the flight and dug into one my cereal mixes to snack on.

DSCN1181

DSCN1180

Unfortunately the granola was crumby and hard to eat so I left a good 1/4 of the bag unfinished. ๐Ÿ™

The second flight was just as uneventful as the first. I stayed in the seat the majority of the time and kept waiting for my legs to start spaming or something, but it never came. I could not believe how normal I truly felt. Had I really just run a marathon the day before?!?!

During the layover I had picked up a Vegetable Sandwich to eat on the flight.

DSCN1182

This sandwhich was stuffed with Sunflower Seeds, Sprouts, Tomato, Cucumber, Jicama and a few other yummy veggies I can’t think of.

DSCN1184

It was a really great sandwich, full of wonderful fresh vegetables I felt I had been missing out on all week. It felt good to eat this!

A couple of hours later I munched on an Apple.

DSCN1185

I was sooo done with flying when we finally landed in Orlando at 6:30pm local time. And for the first time in a couple of days I felt ligitimately hungry for some food! My wonderful parents met me at the airport with Abbie and we made our way to Beef O’Bradys for good meal.

I ordered the Turkey Ruben with the dressing on the side, no butter on the bread, and broccoli on the side.

DSCN1187

I knew I really needed to get some protein in me and I felt the turkey would do the trick without having to put to much thought in it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I shared my marathon war stories with my parents and enjoyed eating outside in the wonderful sun and heat. I missed you sun!

I was also very glad to be reunited with my Abbie!ย

ย DSCN1189

I missed my puppy!!

I pulled out the Dark Chocolate Covered Edamame to let my parents sample and had a couple myself.

DSCN1190

ย

After dinner I was ready to come home and crash. It has been a long exciting weekend and I can’t believe I have to go to work tomorrow! I am hoping I can also fix what ever is up with my Ecto program sometime soon. Blogging through wordpress directly has taken me well over an hour and that just is not going to cut it!

I do have my marathon video all finished and ready to post tomorrow morning, so be on the look out for that little surprise!

Good night!!

1 The Novice Berker June 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Hurray for being back home with Abbie! I’m glad your post-marathon activities went swimmingly (and that the plane ride back wasn’t all you dreaded it would be). Congrats again on your accomplishment! ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Tyler June 1, 2009 at 10:34 pm

that vegetable sandwich looks so fresh and delicious! That’s awesome you weren’t very sore….I guess you trained really well!!

3 Run Sarah June 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Glad your recovery is going well, and you’re home safely. Excited for the video!

4 jocelyneatsfresh June 1, 2009 at 10:49 pm

holy monster veg sammy! looks amazing

congratz again on runnin that race! amazing girl!

5 HelpMeghanRun June 1, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Woo! Looks like a great post-marathon day. Can’t wait to see the video. ๐Ÿ™‚

6 jenngirl June 1, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Welcome home and congrats on a great weekend!! Glad to know you’re recovering well ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Sarah June 1, 2009 at 11:44 pm

I just finished reading your marathon post. I have chills. I’m in tears. While the selfish part of me is so crushed that I will never run a marathon, a much bigger part of me is so incredibly proud of you. You are amazing, Meghann.

8 Andrea June 2, 2009 at 12:30 am

Can’t wait to see the video!
I didn’t say it before, but I am muy impressed with Derek for flying across the country to support you – it was truly an awesome thing to do!

9 Rachel June 2, 2009 at 1:29 am

Dark chocolate covered……. edamame? Very interesting!

I bet being back home feels great! Good luck going back to work and letting your muscles get back in tip-top shape.

10 BethAnn June 2, 2009 at 1:48 am

Hi Meghann! Congrats again…did you feel super hungry the day after your race??

11 Nicole June 2, 2009 at 5:06 am

Congratulations, again! I hope you have a great day!

12 caitlin June 2, 2009 at 5:07 am

i am so glad you arent soreeeeeeeee!

13 Mica June 2, 2009 at 6:02 am

I’ve never heard of Ecto, but I’ll have to download it to try! Sorry it’s being wonky for you though!

Congratulations again on the marathon! Abbie looks so proud of her momma in that picture!

14 Dori June 2, 2009 at 6:05 am

Congrats!!! I blog from work where all blogging software is blocked so I am forced to use WordPress — it is awful and has a mind of its own! You’d think a company that exists solely for one purpose would at least get that purpose right. Anyway, good luck with Ecto and congrats again!

15 Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 2, 2009 at 7:08 am

You are so funny! I can just see you sitting on the plane staring manically at your legs just waiting for the “inevitable” spasms! HAHAHA You are amazing! I can’t even imagine the mental toughness it took to complete that marathon. GO TEAM MEGHANN!

16 spicygranola June 2, 2009 at 7:41 am

I’m glad you didn’t stiffen up on the plane! I hope that you are still feeling fine today, sometimes it takes a little while for the soreness to set in (with me anyway). That veggie sandwich looks very impressive for airport food. I bet abbie was happy to see you too! so cute

17 Meg June 2, 2009 at 7:54 am

I bet Abbie was so happy to see you! Off to watch the video.

18 Allison June 2, 2009 at 8:12 am

Yay for being home! ๐Ÿ˜‰ And a big yay for you being able to hug that sweet little pupper! ๐Ÿ˜€

19 brandi June 2, 2009 at 8:47 am

congrats again and I’m glad you got home safely and aren’t in any pain! That’s awesome!

20 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 2, 2009 at 8:49 am

that is so amazing! it really is inspiring! I cannot wait to do it myself. It’s so nice you had teammates and friends to celebrate with. I am also always in awe of how incredibly happy perfect strangers are for you when you run by them or they have seen that you have ran a marathon or a half marathon. ๐Ÿ™‚

Running is amazing.

HAve a great day! And I hope you are still not sore!

21 Amandaa June 2, 2009 at 9:07 am

look at your girls rockin’ your medals!
what a glorious feeling!

22 lowandbhold June 2, 2009 at 10:05 am

You are in AMAZING shape if you’re not sore! That’s awesome and super inspiring. I’ve really enjoyed reading about your marathon journey and living vicariously through it! Congrats Congrats Congrats!

23 Christina June 2, 2009 at 10:07 am

Good thing you’re not too sore, I was worried you’d be having a painful day-after!

That vegetable sandwich looks amazing, I love sprouts!

24 Kaye June 2, 2009 at 10:17 am

Meghann!
I just started reading your blog a few weeks ago…found you through Healthy Tipping Point! It was so exciting to watch you train for and actually COMPLETE a marathon. It seems unbelievable! Congratulations!!! I love reading your blog…you seem so down to earth ๐Ÿ™‚
Kaye

25 Matt June 2, 2009 at 10:20 am

I’m not sure what is up with Ecto since I use Windows Live Writer. I hate blogging though Wordpress!

Again, congrats on the marathon. Your a beast!

26 MaryBe June 2, 2009 at 10:50 am

What an awesome experience! Hard to believe it’s all over already!

27 Maddy June 2, 2009 at 11:02 am

That veggie sandwich looks delish! Glad you got home safe and are with Abbie =) Have a great week!

28 Carlee June 2, 2009 at 11:03 am

Awesome race report and day after report. Congrats. Go TEAM!!!!

29 Stacey June 2, 2009 at 11:45 am

Glad you had a safe trip back!

30 Pearl June 2, 2009 at 12:39 pm

yaaay you glorious runners!

31 Bridget June 2, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Once again just wanted to say how excited I am for you!!! Congratulations! You did AWESOME!!

{ 1 trackback }