My Running Journey

by Meghann on May 31, 2009

The big day has finally arrived, today is officially Marathon Day!

Don’t forget once the race starts at 6:30am Pacific Time go to http://www.rnrmarathon.com and enter bib #13188 in to the ‘Track My Runner’ link that should be on the front page. That way you can follow me along the course!

I have scheduled this entry to post at exactly 6:30am California time so by the time most of you read this I will either be running the marathon, finished, or puking on the sidelines. Either way it has been a whirlwind experience!

When I first started running back in January 2008 it was really the only way I could think of to loose the pesky weight that had been building up since starting my desk job. I would run to the end of my street every evening with my then boyfriend and we would take occasional walking breaks and the nearly 2 mile trek would take us  roughly 30 minutes.

As I got stronger at running, I also got more adventurous. While sticking with the same 2 mile route I decided to run a few 5ks. I ran 4 5ks within a 2 month period just for fun. Each race I finished around the 32 minute range and felt more and more like an accomplished runner each time.

When the summer hit I began to run just for me. I started waking up before work and would see how far I could go in the time allotted. I worked on endurance, taking fewer walking breaks and striving to go farther and longer. That summer I began to take running more seriously as I would rise on the weekends before anyone else to get that perfect Saturday run. I was still not fast, but what did I care about speed?

When I moved to Orlando, I was fortunate enough to find a friend in Caitlin. Besides my former boyfriend and sister, she was my first true running buddy. Running with her I began to dream and push myself to limits I did not expect. Honestly if it was not for Caitlin I would not be the runner I am today. We ran my first 15k together in  September and I was determined to keep up with her the majority of the way. She also cheered me on as I started achieving new personal distance records of 8 miles, 10 miles, 11 miles and so on and so on.

So many people comment or e-mail me with how I was able to improve my speed and in all honesty it just came in time. Sure I did a few speed workouts on the treadmill and on the track, but as I began running more, my legs seemed to just want to go faster. If you would have told me during those first 5ks that I would be running a 10k at an 8:46 pace I would have thought you were nuts. But that was my body becoming stronger. I did it and I finished with a smile. I was officially in the best shape of my life.

I felt so blessed to have all of you there with me as I ran my first Half Marathon in December. I had actually started to plan to run that half over the summer and when the day came I was on cloud nine. My legs carried me through that run and the knowledge I was accomplishing something so big pushed any pain out of my mind.

The following weekend I finally returned to my 5k roots and smoked any previous record I had by 8 minutes when I crossed the finish line at 24:43 as the Third Overall Female!

So far in 2009 I feel like I have taken running to a whole other level when I decided to start training for my first marathon. You guys have seen me through by accepting my challenge to raise so much money for a great cause in Team and Training and your constant support with Bake sales and fund raising have left me speechless. You have been there as I have struggled with those early morning runs and as I ran 18 miles and 20 miles for the first time.

I also realized how truly crazy of a runner I am at the end of February when Caitlin and I accepted the Bud Light challenge. 3 races, 2 PRs, 1 Weekend…. You could not have asked for a better runner’s high. Its challenges like that, that keep me coming back for more.

In March my Sister showed me that miracles exist and we all need to live life to the fullest because you never know what tomorrow might bring. Kelly may not have been able to compete in our first triathlon together as originally intended, but she was there cheering me on, skid marks and all. The triathlon was something I would never have considered a year ago, but I finished it. I became a triathlete!

My Sister made up for missing the triathlon when she decided she was not going to  let her accident hold her back. A month later Kelly joined Caitlin, Abbie and myself as we all ran the Crooms 15 mile trail run as a pack. It was one of my favorite races by far, thanks to the friendship I share with each of these strong, lovely ladies.

Running and the power of this blog has brought me many new lifelong friends. From meeting the amazing Melissa, Abbie, Caitlin, Jenna, Gina, Lindsey etc.. or reading the running tales of so many others of you out there. This community has been so kind to me in every endeavor!

So here I am in tears remembering the wonderful last year and half running as been in my life. I have come so far, yet I feel I have so far still to go. This is my Thank You to everyone out there for supporting me along the way.

Thank you for all my wonderful readers and the countless comments that keep me doing what I do.

Thank you those of you who donated to my cause, making this marathon possible and making a difference to so many other lives out there.

Thank you to my family for never questioning my desire to run or to eat the way I do.

Thank you to all my friends who never stopped believing.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

Now, it is a wait and see game. Will I complete this goal? Will I finish the 26.2 miles? Will I ever want to run a marathon again?

I will be back this evening with a full marathon recap. I am running with my Flip Camera and I hope to record come of my journey along the way. I can not wait to share this experience with all of you!

Lots of Love to Everyone!!

1 Heather May 31, 2009 at 9:34 am

Good luck! You have trained so hard, don’t worry…you will kick ass!

2 Emily May 31, 2009 at 9:35 am

This is a beautiful post, good luck today!!!!!!!

3 HelpMeghanRun May 31, 2009 at 9:36 am

You go girl! :) I’m tracking you!

4 Juli (Peanut Butter and Juli) May 31, 2009 at 9:45 am

GOOD LUCK MEGHANN! A beautiful tribute and today is something you will be proud of for the rest of your life. You go girl!!!

5 jocelyneatsfresh May 31, 2009 at 10:09 am

eeek!! Good luck! You are such an inspiration!!!! have A FABULOUS day!!!!! Run your heart out!
I’ll be trackin ya!

6 Sara May 31, 2009 at 10:09 am

We’re all rooting for you!!!!! So inspirational. I’m hoping to run my first marathon this year or next year and you truly have inspired me….

7 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 31, 2009 at 10:12 am

Great post and GOOD LUCK!!!!

8 Jenny May 31, 2009 at 10:13 am

good luck girlie! can’t wait to hear all about it :)!

9 Hangry Pants May 31, 2009 at 10:15 am

No dout you will complete and kill this thing!!!! Go Meghannnnnn!

10 Adi (oatonomy.com) May 31, 2009 at 10:16 am

Great post, Meghann. It’s been awesome following your journey! What an inspiration you are to your readers.

11 Ryan (Chase Daylight) May 31, 2009 at 10:17 am

Yayyy!!! You’re going to do great! I’m trying to track you now but the link isn’t up on the website. I’ll keep checking though!! RUN RUN RUN!!!

12 biz319 May 31, 2009 at 10:25 am

Great post Meghann – as I am writing this you are already past the 10K mark! I am still in my pajamas! :D

13 Kori (All Things B.) May 31, 2009 at 10:25 am

Love your journey Meghann! It’s so inspiring and gives me that extra push! Just checked your stats- stay strong!

14 Matt May 31, 2009 at 10:26 am

Great post! I see you are already past the 10k!

15 Sarah May 31, 2009 at 10:28 am

So inspiring. I am definitely thinking about you today!

16 skinnymenny May 31, 2009 at 10:32 am

Best of luck to you!!!

17 Cal May 31, 2009 at 10:34 am

Hey, good luck! You will do awesome! Just checked the ‘live’ results, the first 10km in 1:02:06 not that you can see this but KEEP IT UP!!

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2009 at 10:36 am

Wow I LOVED reading this so very much!! Goodluck I’m tracking ya and you are doing GREAT!

19 whitneyinchicago May 31, 2009 at 10:38 am

I just checked your time and you are rocking so far! I just signed up for my first half in Sept and I hope that I can keep the determination going like you.

Thanks for your inspiration!

20 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) May 31, 2009 at 10:46 am

You are such a sweetheart and will; annihilate these 26.2 miles! I know this will just be another milestone on your running journey that will continue to inspire countless new and old runners alike!

P.S. My old freshmen year college roommate just started a blog and is in Orlando – one of these weekends we need to do a blogger lunch meet-up again!

21 tami May 31, 2009 at 10:50 am

you all are doing great! I’ll be running my first marathon in October and I have learned so much from you!

22 Justy2003 May 31, 2009 at 10:50 am

I love this post and seeing just how far you’ve come. You’re going to do awesome today (I looked and you just passed the halfway point of the marathon!) and I can’t wait to hear all about your awesome experience!

23 Anne K. May 31, 2009 at 10:52 am

You are such an inspiration! I loved reading your about your journey. I just checked your time, and you’re rocking it! You’re amazing :D

24 Gina G May 31, 2009 at 10:52 am

meghann! you are honestly such an inspiration who is going to totally rock this marathon! =D

25 FoodsThatFit May 31, 2009 at 10:55 am

I am so glad to have had the chance to get to know you and do the Crooms race together with you, Caitlin and Kelly!

I will be thinking of you all day and can’t wait to hear how it goes! You are so strong and you will do awesome!!!

Love ya!

Abbie

26 Niki May 31, 2009 at 11:03 am

You are so inspiring! Can’t wait for the recap! I am tracking you:)

27 Yasmin May 31, 2009 at 11:06 am

That’s fantastic! You are such a strong person!

28 Run Sarah May 31, 2009 at 11:12 am

I have loved following your journey – so inspiring!

29 Vanessa May 31, 2009 at 11:23 am

Best of luck! You’re going to rock it :D

30 MaryBe May 31, 2009 at 11:51 am

What a sweet post! I can’t believe you have only been running since Jan ’08! What a journey you’ve had!
I am tracking you and Bobbie – your times are great!

31 Nat May 31, 2009 at 11:51 am

CONGRATS! Just checked your bib and you’re doing great!!!! You’re truly an inspiration.

32 Lindsay May 31, 2009 at 11:57 am

I must be blind I can’t find the tracking thing…anyone help me out?

33 Melissa S. May 31, 2009 at 11:58 am

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait to hear how it went!!!!!

YOU ROCK!!!!

34 Sarah May 31, 2009 at 12:05 pm

yay meghann!!! you’re doing amazing! i can’t wait to hear your recap — i know this is so meaningful to you, and you’ve worked ridiculously hard. your determination is an inspiration to everyone. i hope you’re having fun!!

35 Kristi May 31, 2009 at 12:08 pm

That is such an amazing running journey that you have lived…you are truly such a strong inspiring person. You are doing to do so well today!!!

36 Emily May 31, 2009 at 12:47 pm

You are a true inspiration!! I want to thank YOU for giving me the will power to get my ass of the couch and exercise, showing me a healthier way to eat (that’s fun and not bland or boring!!), and most of all showing me how anything you set your mind to IS possible. So THANK YOU for everything you have done for me and everyone else that is blessed to read your blog!!

37 Holly May 31, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I see you! You’ve already passed 21 miles and are going strong!!

I loved reading your running journey – I’ve seen glimpses of it in Caitlin’s blog but now I can see the whole picture. :)

38 Susan May 31, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Wow Meghan, I guess you could call me a relatively “new reader.” I had no idea about your running journey. I read about your 8 min miles and 20 mile jaunts and think you are SO gifted at running. But what you really are is an inspiration. You make me think I can do it too! You are going to rock that rock n’ roll marathon! Can’t wait to hear all about it :D

39 caronae May 31, 2009 at 1:15 pm

This is such a great post! I’m am so happy for you and can’t wait to hear about the race (I had my first 1/2 today)!

40 Angel May 31, 2009 at 1:26 pm

She did it!!!!! YAY Meghann! I am so proud of you! I love you cuz!

41 caitlin May 31, 2009 at 1:44 pm

this seriously made me cry. i just sobbed outloud reading it to kristien! i love you and i’m so so so proud of you. good job!!!

42 Maga May 31, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Does anyone know her final time???

43 gina (fitnessista) May 31, 2009 at 1:58 pm

YEAHHHHHHH! i’m so very happy for you and can’t wait for the re-cap
xoxo

44 Tracy May 31, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Meghann, I’ve been a closeted reader for awhile now, but I am so inspired by you! I’m rooting for you and wish you all the best in this amazing goal you’ve set for yourself.

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2009 at 2:31 pm

YAY YOU DID IT!!!! Amazing time too!!!! Whoot whoot! Rock on girlie!

46 katie s May 31, 2009 at 2:37 pm

You finished!!!!! That is truly amazing, Meghann CONGRATULATIONS! I am so so sooo proud of you and so inspired by you! I hope to be at your level one day SOON! GOOD JOB GIRL!!!!

47 Leah May 31, 2009 at 2:43 pm

You did it!!! How amazing do you feel?!??!

You had a wicked time as well!! I am so happy for you!

I just said to my fiancé “Meghann made it! She did it in wicked time as well!!” He says congrats :)

Can’t wait for a recap!

48 KatieF May 31, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Congrats, Meghann! I’m not much of a commenter, but I think this warrants one. :) Wear your medal and the infamous and unmistakable day-after-marathon walk with pride! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I

49 linds May 31, 2009 at 3:15 pm

AHHHHHH go meghann!!!!! You are going to rock the marathon. Can’t wait to hear the recap!!!!

50 whitneyinchicago May 31, 2009 at 3:34 pm

YAY you did it!!! And with an AMAZING TIME! 10:18 pace. WOW-Wee.

Can’t wait to hear your race recap.

51 Jessica (jesslikesithot) May 31, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Meghann!! If you wore a running skirt today then I sware I saw ya on the news this morning!!

And congrats on getting this far in your running career, you’re definitely an inspiration to all of us!

52 Sam May 31, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Just want to echo what everyone else has said – Just checked your time and you completely rocked. Must feel so good! So happy for you!

53 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 31, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Go Meghann!! You are very inspiring!! I ran a half today and as I was running I thought about you and Bobbi running the full marathon! I hope it went well- and I am sure it did! COngratulations! You have accomplished something so amazing!

I missed the last week of blogging (writing and reading) but I am back- I have to go back over the last week and read your posts!

Take care!

54 newlywedwife May 31, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Congrats! I just looked at your finish time on the RnR Marathon website and you did FABULOUS! Great job, I can’t wait for the recap :)

55 Stacey May 31, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I totally can NOT wait to see the results! It’s amazing how a blog can make you feel like a part of a whole other world/support team out there!

Go get ‘em tiger!

56 Island Girl Eats May 31, 2009 at 5:23 pm

I tracked you on your journey this morning. Congrats! That was a job well done. You must feel amazing – exhausted I am sure! I can’t wait to do my full marathon in December!

57 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 31, 2009 at 5:35 pm

What a beautiful story! I love that you started running for weight loss and then fell in love with it along the way ;-)

I can’t wait to read the recap of the race and find out what’s next for Meghann! You are such an inspiration to so many of us :)

58 Christina May 31, 2009 at 5:37 pm

I love this post, you’re such an inspiration! Congrats on the marathon, you did awesome!

59 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health May 31, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Congrats! I saw you cross the finish line on the Live Stream of the marathon. I randomly clicked on it and thought I saw you! I double check your time and yep, it was you! You did awesome and you are such an inspiration!

60 Sarah May 31, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Meghann, you did a great job! Running your first marathon in 4:29 is awesome! Congratulations on your accomplishments.

61 amanda May 31, 2009 at 6:41 pm

cool you did great time! Congratulations =)

62 Meredith May 31, 2009 at 6:58 pm

What an awesome journey! Thank you for telling everyone how it all began. I am just in the beginning stages so you show that it can be done! THANK YOU! I can’t wait to hear about the marathon.

63 healthy ashley May 31, 2009 at 7:06 pm

You are amazing, Meghann! And what an inspiring running history. You really motivated me because I can see my own story overlapping with yours in the beginning… I hope for it to overlap more as I improve!!

Can’t wait to hear about the recap!!

64 Amanda May 31, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Congratulations!! Can’t wait to hear all about the wonderful adventure!

65 Eliza May 31, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Hey Meghann! I was working the Rock ‘N Roll today…the gear pick up at the finish line…maybe I saw you there! Anyway, I just ran my first half a few weeks ago and let me tell you, what you’ve done is SUCH an accomplishment. Congrats girl!

66 phoebe May 31, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Hi I’m Pheebs and I just started blogging. I just wanted to say congrats! I am planning on running a half marathon (in February) and this is so inspiring to read!
You’ll probably be too busy celebrating to answer this, but if not I was just wondering something. About half an hour after I run (or later, sometimes even a few hours) I always get this insane craving to go run again. Does this happen to you?
Thanks and congrats again!

67 Rose May 31, 2009 at 8:16 pm

I can’t wait for the recap! You are amazing and so inspirational!

68 Renee May 31, 2009 at 8:21 pm

What a fabulous time!! Congrats!!! =)

69 Rachel May 31, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Wonderful, wonderful post. I identify with you so much and am so inspired! Can’t wait to read your recap!

70 Angie May 31, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Great post!
A HUGE congrats to you!
I did the marathon today, too! Congrats on your first!

71 spicygranola May 31, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Great post! very inspirational. I can’t wait to read about how it went! I know you did great. Even though I don’t know you personally I feel really proud of you… I hope that isn’t too nerdy!

72 Talia May 31, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Your post was amazing and insperational! Im sure you rocked your first marathon, and cant wait to hear about it!

73 Rachel May 31, 2009 at 10:31 pm

YAY MEGHANN!!!! I just looked up your marathon time!! You must be so happy! :)

74 Emily June 1, 2009 at 7:43 am

Congrats Meghann! The first marathon is truly an experience you can only have once. You have come a long way:)

75 Vani June 1, 2009 at 8:42 am

Amazing post, meghann!! it has been so inspiring watching you become such a strong runner – I can’t wait to hear your marathon recap!!

76 hopefulrunner June 1, 2009 at 8:55 am

Meghann,
I have been reading your blog for a while now and was secretly cheering you on yesterday when I knew you, Bobbi (and my cousin!) were running the SD RNR yesterday! This post is such an inspiration to me. I am coming back to running after recovering from a knee ligament injury that had me side lined for 3 months. I just signed up for my first half marathon, and have two months to prepare! I am super nervous and wonder if I am in over my head, but you inspire me and remind me that I can do it if I apply some dedication!
Great job yesterday, glad you finished and I can’t wait to read your race report!
Dayna (HopefulRunner)

77 Danica June 1, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Wow – that was an amazing story, Meghann. I LOVED reading all of it – thanks for sharing!

78 runrunjessicarun June 24, 2009 at 8:15 pm

I’m just a little late in reading this and commenting on it. but better late than never, plus I just found your blog about a week or 2 ago.

WOW! What a great post! While I wish I had been around for your journey so far, I can’t wait for more!

Reading this post has given me SO much inspiration to keep running. I have to admit that there a teeny tiny part of me that thinks I’ll never get as great as I want with running but after reading this I believe I can surpass my goals!

Thanks so much!

79 christine November 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm

New to running and just read this to post today. Very inspirational. I ran my first 5 k last month and came in at 30:24. I have been trying to do speed work once a week while doing my bridge to 10k program, but this post reinforced that I need to focus on my endurance first and speed should come with time. Thanks for sharing your running journey and all your wonderful advice. I hope with time my speed will improve too.