more ยป" />

A Marathon Post before a Marathon

by Meghann on May 30, 2009

The time difference certainly wanted to play tricks on me this morning. After going to bed around midnight last night, I awoke wide awake at 3:30 this morning! I had a major headache and as much as I tried I could not go back to sleep. I finally gave up and have been wide awake ever since. I am still going strong on less then 4 hours of sleep. Oh boy.

I have to say it was great to have those few extra hours in the morning to myself. Once everyone else was awake, it has been nothing but, go-go-go.

My TnT Coaches had been raving about Richard Walker’s Pancake House since we have been training with them. Never one to turn down great pancakes, I met up with them and some others from our team at 7:00am and made the walk to the pancake house.

DSCN0942.JPG

Richard Walker’s is a really popular pancake house famous for their Baked Apple Pancakes. Instead of having putting your name on a list, they have you form a line that typically will go around the block. Since we were there so early, we just happened to be the first ones to form the line.

Inside the restaurant was really tiny and all the table were squeezed in close to maximize the amount of space. I particularly loved the colorful menu that read like a story.

DSCN0944.JPG

It even had a ‘The End’ on the bottom.

DSCN0945.JPG

I was tempted by the Apple Baked Pancake, but was told it was basically apple pie for breakfast. I wasn’t sure about all the sugar in the morning, so instead I ordered the buckwheat pancakes.

DSCN0953.JPG

I topped them with some syrup and strawberry preserves.

DSCN0948.JPG

They were very hearty and so delish! I ate all but two of them. I also had some melon on the side.

DSCN0952.JPG

I have to say I was impressed when my fellow teammate received her order of the Baked Apple Pancakes.

DSCN0950.JPG

I had a couple of bites and I admit this is as good as it looks. I can’t even described how warm and gooey the pancake was under the apples. A-MA-ZING!

We were lucky to have arrived as early as we did, when we went to leave a big line was already building.

DSCN0956.JPG

We needed to walk off the giant amount of pancakes we had just consumed, so Derek and I decided a nice walk by the water was in order. We headed down to Seaport Village, ignored the shops and walked right along the park for a great view of the water.

DSCN0962.JPG

There was a great path that ran along the water, perfect for a nice long walk. Plenty of runners ran passed us on the run and I could not think of a better path for a nice Saturday morning run. I was actually a little jealous of the runners. But my time will come tomorrow. I need to rest my legs today!

DSCN0961.JPG

While we were walking Derek made a new friend.

DSCN0966.JPG

It was truly love at first sight.

DSCN0968.JPG

Derek also learned birds don’t give kisses, they bite. She took a nice chunk of Derek’s lips. After witnessing his pain, you can see the scarred look on my eyes, when the bird was then placed on shoulders.

DSCN0969.JPG

I kept thinking please don’t bite my ear, please don’t bite my ear!

The weather here has been kind of Meh. It has been cold, dreary and today even a little rainy. It put a damper on our nice walk and had to be cut short because I was just plain cold. Why does the sunshine disapear every time I visit southern CA?

I actually did not mind being forced inside, my idea of going inside involved finally attending the Expo!!!

DSCN0975.JPG

The Rock n Roll San Diego Expo was HUGE and very crowded! There were a ton of booths worth visiting, free food worth sampling and the aisles were full to capacity of fellow runner wanting to see all the same things.

DSCN0993.JPG

First things first… I picked up my Bib!!!!

DSCN0976.JPG

We asked the officials and apparently tomorrow morning you will be able to rack my progress on the course. Once the race starts at 6:30am Pacific Time go to http://www.rnrmarathon.com and enter bib #13188 in to the ‘Track My Runner’ link that should be on the front page. Let me know if you track me!!

Next it was all about the goodie bag. ๐Ÿ™‚

DSCN1011.JPG

I had to sort through all the useless papers to get to the good stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚

DSCN1014.JPG

After picking up as many samples as possible from the expo and purchasing some goodies along the way I think I made out pretty good.

DSCN1015.JPG

I really, really LOVE how pretty our shirts are. This blue is soo pretty!

DSCN1017.JPG

These technical tees run big.

DSCN1018.JPG

Back at the expo, I had a great time snacking my way through the booths.

(Froze Bar)
DSCN0981.JPG

(Gu Chomp)

DSCN0986.JPG

(Clif Bar)

DSCN0992.JPG

These drinks were YUCK. I do not reccomend them!

DSCN0988.JPG

After much exploration of finding every possible free goodie as possible I ran into Bobbi and we posed for some photo ops. ๐Ÿ™‚

DSCN0994.JPG

I saw someone with fresh Apple and I hunted her down to find out where the fresh fruit samples were.
DSCN0999.JPG

We also ran into some other runners at the expo including Aron from Running Rambles.

DSCN1001.JPG

And Amanda from Run to the Finish.

DSCN1000.JPG

Amanda had flown in from Kansas City this morning. Amanda and her husband joined Bobbi, Derek and I for a light late lunch.

We walked out of the convention center and found the first deli that caught our eyes.

DSCN1002.JPG

I ordered the Veggimanary that had Sprouts, Swiss Cheese, Tomato, Cucumber, Avocado, and Roasted Red Peppers inside as well as a small salad on the side.

DSCN1004.JPG

The sandwich was very yummy and I gobbled it right up.

DSCN1008.JPG

It was great talking to both Amanda and Bobbi and their marathon experiences. It was also helpful that Amanda’s husband is a spectator as well, so we all were able to study the course and find out where him and Derek would be able to see us along the race.

It felt nice after lunch to finally have a time to crash and relax in the hotel room. Sometimes a couple of hours of relaxation is all you need.

Dinner was suppose to be in form of the Team in Training Pre-Race Pasta Party.

When we arrived they did a great job of making us all feel like Rock Stars. All the Coaches and Staff members from around the country were cheering all the runners on.

DSCN1023.JPG

It was a mad house getting through the door.

DSCN1024.JPG

Once inside I even lost my team in the tables that were as far as the eye could see!

DSCN1026.JPG

As well all know I am a very picky eater and the food before my first marathon is an important topic to me. With that being said, you could imagine my little panic attack I had when all they were offering was Noodles & Red Pasta Sauce.

DSCN1027.JPG

And Ceasar Salad.

DSCN1028.JPG

I think I’ve stated on here before how I am not the biggest fan of pasta.. especially just red sauce and noodles. I went to my mentor and staff leader on the verge of tears telling them there was nothing here I could eat. I felt like the biggest freak, making such a big deal about the food when they’re more important things in life, but my emotions are so out of wack with this race that I was literally in tears over this.

Everyone was really understanding and after I apologized profusely I sadly left the pasta party and met up with Derek at Sloppy Joeys for a before marathon dinner that I would enjoy.

DSCN1033.JPG

Sloppy Joeys was right down the street from the Convention Center and had a friendly bar like atmosphere with a pizza menu filled with creativity.

DSCN1035.JPG

I started out with 1/2 of a breadstick that was brought to the table.

DSCN1038.JPG

After some thought I decided on the Spicy Vegetarian.

DSCN1036.JPG

They weren’t kidding, this pizza was spicy!

DSCN1039.JPG

I ate 1/2 of the pie and was fully satisfied. All of the odd anxiety and pressure I had felt melted away. I realize now I was freaking out over nothing and still feel terrible leaving the TnT dinner. I know its a regret that will stay on my shoulders.

To help cheer me up Derek and I walked to Ghiraradelli for a pre-race Sundae.

DSCN1040.JPG

When we entered we were each handed a square of their Peppermint Bark.

DSCN1042.JPG

Ghiraradelli is the first Ice Cream place I have ever been where they give you a number and bring the ice Cream out to your table.

DSCN1048.JPG

We ordered the Very Berry Sundae to share.

DSCN1049.JPG

When it arrived we were commenting on how big it was and how we should have had 4 people to share it. Of course as we were saying that the sundae miraculously disappeared.

DSCN1050.JPG

We seriously finished it in 5 minutes flat. That baby was good!

Now I am back in my room with a happy belly. All of my running gear is laid out and ready to be thrust on after my 3:50am wake up call.

DSCN1022.JPG

I can’t believe in mere hours I will be cueing up in the start area. Am I really running a marathon tomorrow?!?!? It seems unreal, I really don’t think it has set in yet.

Wish me luck!! And don’t forget you can track my bib # 13188 at http://www.rnrmarathon.com tomorrow!

1 The Novice Berker May 30, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Hells yes for carbo loading!! The pasta party was such a neat idea!! GOOD LUCK times a million!

2 Kristine May 30, 2009 at 11:25 pm

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!!! Im definitely going to track you! ๐Ÿ™‚

3 HelpMeghanRun May 30, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll be tracking you!

4 Gina May 30, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Have fun! You’ll do great!!!

5 Alison May 30, 2009 at 11:51 pm

GOOOOD LUCK! And that is the most hilarious running tshirt I have every seen!! ๐Ÿ˜€

6 Run Sarah May 31, 2009 at 12:05 am

Good luck!!

7 carolinebee May 31, 2009 at 12:14 am

Meghann i wish you SO SO SO much luck but you do not need it girl! I hope you don’t feel bad about leaving your dinner, honestly that is NOT a overreaction at all in my opinion, this race is the culmination of so much hard work and commitment…and your emotional state and comfort is the most important thing! I do not think one person in that HUGE room of pasta and red sauce would be “mad” at you or anything for politely declining that option and finding your own dinner ๐Ÿ˜€ Good luck again xo!

8 sweetandnatural May 31, 2009 at 12:27 am

Good luck!!!

9 Sarah May 31, 2009 at 12:35 am

Good luck, good luck, GOOOD LUCK! I hope Derek’s lips don’t hurt too much to give you a great big good luck kiss…just look out for the bird flu! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I can’t wait to read all about your race. Love you girl!

10 Nicole May 31, 2009 at 1:22 am

Good luck Meghann!!!!!! I can’t wait to read all about it. You are amazing!!!!

11 Melissa May 31, 2009 at 2:16 am

good luck

12 Pearl May 31, 2009 at 3:47 am

have a great race tomorrow!

13 Sammie May 31, 2009 at 3:54 am

Good luck Megahnn.

14 jocelyneatsfresh May 31, 2009 at 4:01 am

good luck gurl…I’ll definitly pop on to track you!

15 Susan May 31, 2009 at 5:10 am

Ohmygosh, GOOD LUCK!!! Don’t feel bad about the pasta thing, even though you were surrounded by people running a marathon, it’s still a HUGE deal. You gotta put fuel in your body you’re comfortable with. I’m sure they understood!! Sending lotsa good running vibes to San Diego!! ๐Ÿ˜€

16 Kate May 31, 2009 at 5:20 am

Good luck, girl! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m up early today to run my first half marathon, and I totally hear ya on the out-of-whack emotions. I’ll be thinking of you as I’m running! <3

17 caitlin May 31, 2009 at 5:25 am

hahah i wouldve rather eaten that pizza and ice cream than gooey and gluey pasta HAHA!

i just ate three french toast, i think im carb loading for you.

GOOOOOD LUCK

18 Leslie May 31, 2009 at 5:56 am

Good luck girl!! You will rock it!! You’ve wroked hard to get here, so just enjoy the experience and everything will fall into place!

19 Katrina (gluten free gidget) May 31, 2009 at 6:40 am

Don’t feel bad. When there isn’t anything i can eat at an event, I’ve been known to tear up. Good luck on the race!

20 Lauren May 31, 2009 at 6:48 am

Best of luck to you!!! And I think you made a great decision about dinner; you should never force yourself to eat foods that truly don’t appeal to you, especially when you’re fueling for a marathon the next day! Anyway, I hope the race goes great!

21 Kelly May 31, 2009 at 7:03 am

I do not think you should feel bad about leaving the pasta party. I am so anal about what I eat the night before a race and I only do 5Ks! It doesn’t seem like a good time to try something you don’t normally eat or don’t like!

Good luck today, you are going to do amazing!!!

22 Sarah May 31, 2009 at 7:11 am

that apple pancake DOES look amazing — but you’re right, probably too sweet to eat the whole thing so early! good choice on the buckwheat. i can’t believe the pics of derek and that parrot! i was just about to say that i’d be too scared that my lips would get bitten when i read that’s what happened to him. poor derek!

you scored some excellent samples, miss meghann!! and way to go on making sure you got the proper pre-race fuel. pizza and ice cream … not too shabby! i can’t believe they didn’t have other options beside the pasta. you did the right thing!

ahh, you’ll be starting the marathon is just over an hour. Good luck!!! You’re going to be incredible ๐Ÿ™‚

23 Pamela May 31, 2009 at 7:20 am

Where did you get the wine = 5 miles tshirt??? I LOVE it! Good luck racing!!

24 MaryBe May 31, 2009 at 7:29 am

That pancake place is so cute right!
And I bet everyone would rather have your dinner, than the one they were serving.
I’ll be tracking you too! I feel like I am right there with you!

25 Hallie May 31, 2009 at 7:33 am

Have a great time out there! AHH can’t believe the big day is really here!

26 Meg May 31, 2009 at 7:43 am

Looks like you are having a great time! Good luck! You will do great!

27 Erin May 31, 2009 at 8:03 am

Good Luck Meghann! I am so excited for you I have been following your training on your blog. I will check up the tracker to see how you are doing!

28 Julia (Jogging My Memory) May 31, 2009 at 8:07 am

Don’t beat yourself up about not staying at the pasta dinner, I think you did a good thing by eating something you knew would work well for you.
Good luck today, and enjoy the hell outta that marathon! You’ve earned it!

29 jentrinque May 31, 2009 at 8:15 am

Meghann, don’t feel bad about leaving the pasta party! You already had nerves up the wazoo, and things feel so much bigger than they are when you’re under pressure. You left and got something that you wanted, which is exactly the right thing to do!

I will be tracking you, you’ll start running in just 15 minutes!

30 kirsten May 31, 2009 at 8:15 am

good luck meghann!! I will definitely track you!!

31 Amy C. May 31, 2009 at 8:41 am

Good luck Meghann!!!

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2009 at 8:42 am

Goodluck hun!!!!

I know what you mean about pasta and red sauce- I am not a big pasta fan myself! Good for your for finding a yummy meal that you felt comfortable with. I will be tracking you today ๐Ÿ™‚ Woot~~

33 glidingcalm May 31, 2009 at 8:48 am

i love your wine T-shirt!! GLUCK TODAY MEG!!!!!!!!!

34 Nicole May 31, 2009 at 8:49 am

I’m tracking you as we speak! Have fun!!

35 stephanie p May 31, 2009 at 8:49 am

dont feel bad about leaving the pasta party at all! my dad does ironman races and he always eats the same dinner the night before. you know what works for you and what doesnt. im glad you followed your instincts! good luck!

36 Allison May 31, 2009 at 8:59 am

So fun! I’m tracking you! Can’t wait to see how awesome you do!

37 bhealthier May 31, 2009 at 9:06 am

best of running to you darling!!!! I am going to for sure track you! ๐Ÿ™‚

38 Mica May 31, 2009 at 9:17 am

Awesome day!

I think you’re running as I type this, so best of luck!

39 Allison May 31, 2009 at 9:25 am

Good luck!!! Where did you get that wine t-shirt? It’s fricken adorable!

40 Hangry Pants May 31, 2009 at 9:26 am

Good luck Meghann!!!! I am going to track you now.

Oh and I think before such a race is a completely appropriate time to freak out about food – it’s imperative you fuel the way you need to!!!!

41 ksgoodeats May 31, 2009 at 9:27 am

I love all the samples!! Those pancakes look great!

GOOD LUCK!!

42 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 31, 2009 at 9:37 am

GOOD LUCK MY DEAR!!! I’ll definitely be tracking you ๐Ÿ™‚ I get such a kick out of that!

43 Adriana May 31, 2009 at 11:52 am

It almost seems like you are scared of pasta by the way you react to it…

44 Orla May 31, 2009 at 12:45 pm

You’ll see this after since you’re currently past the 21 mile mark – go you!!!!!!! It’s such an amazing achievement after only 18 months running. You should be so proud of yourself, I hope you enjoyed every minute of it. Can’t wait for the recap ๐Ÿ˜€

45 Leila May 31, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I know I’m commenting pretty late on this post, but don’t ever worry about your decision to leave the TNT pasta dinner and doing your own thing. This is (was, I guess now) as much your race as it is the TNT race. You needed to do what you had to to feel good and prepared! ๐Ÿ™‚

46 aron June 1, 2009 at 2:54 am

SOOO fun meeting you!!! I am so happy I saw you today after too ๐Ÿ™‚ CONGRATS again!! you did amazing! hope you enjoy the rest of your trip, I am posting my race report right now!

47 Andrea (Off Her Cork) June 1, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Actually I don’t think you over reacted at all. Pasta is nice but toss some veggies in there too! ๐Ÿ™‚ But you got a great pizza and time with a friend, so bonus!