Pizza, Pizza

by Meghann on May 27, 2009

I have to admit it, Pizza is one of my favorite meals on the planet. I hate how it gets this awful reputation of being so unhealthy. Honestly when prepared in the proper manner – whole wheat crust, copious amounts of veggies, light on the cheese and no extra butter or oil – pizza can truly be a healthy and satisfying dish.

Lately, I have had a big desire to make my own pizza dough from scratch. The idea was actually on my mind all weekend, but time just never seemed to work out. Homemade crust takes at least an hour to prep and with a growling tummy, that wait is not really an option. However, this morning I had a little extra time on my hands and decided to plan ahead. I halved and prepped Jenna’s recipe for her perfect pizza crust and had it sit on my counter all day. When I got off of work I had perfect pizza dough waiting to be turned into a fabulously healthy pizza.

DSCN0760.JPG

Instead of making one large pizza, I decided to make two separate mini pizzas.

DSCN0763.JPG

I prepped each pizza with two totally different concepts and flavors.

Pizza #1 was a traditional Veggie Pizza.

DSCN0768.JPG

• Marinara Sauce
  • Spinach
  • Yellow Squash
  • Broccoli
  • Tomato
  • Raw Goat Milk Cheese

Pizza # 2 my version of a BBQ Chick’n Pizza

DSCN0767.JPG

• Annie’s BBQ Sauce
  • Quorn Cutlet
  • Banana Peppers
  • Tomato
  • Blue Cheese

Two different sets of flavors, two amazing pizzas!

DSCN0764.JPG

I was originally going to have one today and one tomorrow, but I was so eager to try each of them that I just had half of each. What’s the fun in life if you can’t mix and match?

DSCN0772.JPG

Mmmmm….. exactly what I was craving and then some. Nothing is better then homemade pizza crust. The best part is, I have left overs for tomorrow. Yippeee!!

After clean up and some much needed packing, I dug into my Trader Joe Molasses Cookies for dessert.

DSCN0778.JPG

I love how large these babies are for 130 calories each. They’re tasty too!

This afternoon I enjoyed a homemade made trail mix as my snack.

DSCN0758.JPG

I had:

• 1/3 cup Kashi H2H
  • 1 Tbsp Peanuts
  • 1 Tbsp Cocoa Java Awesome Almonds
  • 1 Tbsp Sunflower Seeds
  • 1 Tbsp Dried Cranberries

——————–

Did everyone check out Caitlin’s blog post this afternoon regarding shirtless photos of Robert Pattison filiming Twilgiht’s New Moon? I immediately made the hot pic my desktop background. Mmmm…

Unfortunately New Moon doesn’t come out until November, but we have a whole summer of great movies to look forward to before then! Some of my can’t wait favorite include Transformers II, Harry Potter XI, My Sister’s Keeper, Hangover, Post Grad, and a few others.

What movies are you looking forward to?

1 strivingforbalance May 27, 2009 at 6:49 pm

What a great way to make pizza healthy!

i can’t wait to see Harry Potter, Hangover, and my sisters keeper. I am really interested in seeing how if they are are going to follow along with the book of my sisters keeper

Question.. how soon after dinner do you eat dessert?

2 Meghann May 27, 2009 at 7:11 pm

It depends on when ever I am craving it. Sometimes I want dessert as soon as I’m done eating and other times its an hour or two after I’ve finished my meal. My sweet tooth has a mind of its own 🙂

3 katie s May 27, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Harry Potter and My Sister’s Keeper… by far!!!

4 Marissa May 27, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Yum! Those pizzas look so good! How did you like the # Quorn Cutlet? The only mock chicken I’ve ever had was made from soy.

5 Meghann May 27, 2009 at 7:12 pm

I really like the Quorn cutlet. It doesn’t exactly taste like chicken, but its still mighty tasty 🙂

6 Ashley May 27, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Harry Potter, My Sisters Keeper, and Angels & Demons! I can’t wait to go to the movies this summer when it’s hot and sticky outside!

7 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now May 27, 2009 at 7:19 pm

My Sister’s Keeper does look so good!

8 jentrinque May 27, 2009 at 7:30 pm

I am totally lame, I have no idea what’s coming out other than Harry Potter. Oh, I want to see the Pixar movie coming out this weekend, they’re always funny.

Your pizzas look so darn good, and I’ve been wanting to try Jenna’s homemade crust, too!

9 Melissa May 27, 2009 at 7:34 pm

great post. I agree that pizza gets a bad rap very unfairly. And I love that you took the time to put your dessert on a plate. You have really amazing habit, and I am constantly learning from you!

10 Nicole May 27, 2009 at 7:34 pm

I want to make pizza now!!!

I am looking forward to Harry Potter and Twilight the most!

11 Kate May 27, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Pizza and R-Patz….mmmmmmm mmmmm good

12 Bec May 27, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Mmm love the pizzas, I have to try that chicken combo. I was way too excited about the pics Caitlin posted today, November can’t come soon enough!

13 runnerskitchen May 27, 2009 at 7:55 pm

I really want to see the movie “Away We Go” starring Maya Rudolph. Good luck with your week of tapering! Pizza is definitely a quality carb choice 🙂

14 Lynne May 27, 2009 at 8:02 pm

It’s gonna be a good movie summer. I’m looking forward to Harry Potter, My Sister’s Keeper, even though they changed the ending, and The Time Traveler’s Wife.
That pizza looks great! I’m apprehensive about making my own crust, but maybe it’s not as hard as I think it is.

15 Melissa S. May 27, 2009 at 8:05 pm

My Sister’s Keeper!!!! Have you read the book!? AMAZING!!!

16 peacelovepb May 27, 2009 at 8:06 pm

now that is a healthy pizza!! they both sound amazing 🙂
i dont know if it is coming out this summer but I can’t wait until Lovely Bones comes out!

17 Brandi May 27, 2009 at 8:10 pm

i love homemade pizza!

I haven’t been paying much attention to movies that are coming out this summer, but I’m sure I’ll find a few 🙂 We usually just wait until things come out on DVD since going to see them is so expensive!

18 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 27, 2009 at 8:14 pm

CANNOT WAIT for Harry Potter!

19 Yasmin May 27, 2009 at 8:18 pm

HP and My Sister’s Keeper definitely! But I also want to see The Hangover. It looks hilarious!

20 verbalriot May 27, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Homemade pizza is amazing. It’s also one of my favorite meals ever.

I’m psyched for Hangover. Luckily, that comes out really soon!

21 jenngirl May 27, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Genius dinner! I totally would have had a bit of both pizzas too. I think pizza is a great dish, and definitely can be a healthy balance of protein, fat, veggies, and carbs!

I can’t wait for The Hangover, The Proposal, and The Ugly Truth!!

22 Christina May 27, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Wow that is a huge cookie! Looks delicious.

I’m excited for Harry Potter and Pixar’s Up, which luckily comes out really soon 🙂

23 Matt May 27, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Transformers II!

24 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) May 27, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Transformers 2! I’ve been looking forward to it since the first Transformers. 🙂 Post Grad looks super cute (and totally relate-able!)

But I would seriously fast forward through all the summer movies it would make November 20th come any faster. 🙂

25 roseyrebecca May 27, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Those pizzas look amazing! I’m new to your blog, and blogging in general. Love it already! Thanks for the healthy tips!

26 Erin May 27, 2009 at 9:23 pm

My Sister’s Keeper, I don’t know how many times I cried during the book… and Drag Me To Hell, haha how different can they get?! It has crazy good reviews on rottentomatoes.com though (my go-to movie site!!).

Those pizzas look delicious! There’s an awesome Thai Chicken Pizza recipe in Eat, Shrink & Be Merry 🙂

27 gina (fitnessista) May 27, 2009 at 9:35 pm

i’m excited for all of those movies!!! and YES the pics of rob were certainly drool-worthy
the pizzas look awesome- making your own dough makes such a difference!
have a great night <3

28 HelpMeghanRun May 27, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Yes!! I love pizza and I make it all the time. You get a balanced meal: lots of veggies with some whole grains. 🙂

29 Sara May 27, 2009 at 10:10 pm

I love pizza too! I have since I was a kid. The pics on Caitlin’s blog were A-mazing. I can’t wait for Harry Potter to come out this summer.

30 Emily May 27, 2009 at 11:00 pm

I’m looking forward to Year 1, and Transformers was great btw.

31 Sarah May 28, 2009 at 1:10 am

Fab looking pizza Meg!

32 Meredith May 28, 2009 at 5:33 am

Your pizzas look great! I have a recipe that Bobbi of N Her Shoes posted. Your pizzas look so healthy! I’ll have to copy them next week when we make pizzas. Good luck on your marathon! You are such an inspiration!

33 redheadyellowdog May 28, 2009 at 7:28 am

I love making homemade pizza! and homemade calzones! yumm..there’s a recipe on allrecipes for honey whole wheat pizza dough (or something like that) that takes MAYBE 20 minutes to make. No prior planning neccessary! It’s the recipe I use on my blog. I would look it up for you but that site is blocked at work 😀 good thing yours isn’t!

34 spicygranola May 28, 2009 at 7:57 am

That pizza and your breakfast look so good! I hope that today flies by for you. GOOD LUCK!!!!! but I know that you won’t need it

35 spicygranola May 28, 2009 at 7:59 am

oh yeah, I’m excited about the movies Brothers Bloom and Paper Hearts

36 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 28, 2009 at 8:59 am

My Sisters Keeper looks sweet and I definitely will be seeing Harry Potter. I also want to see The Proposal because I love me some Ryan Reynolds!

37 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) May 28, 2009 at 11:11 am

Oh I am looking forward to those movies so much too! Great stuff coming out this summer. Just saw Terminator and it was good fun. 🙂

And WORD girl on the healthy pizza. Pretty much one of my favorite foods IN THE WORLD and it should not get the bad rap. I haven’t gone so far as to make my own crust, but still, I don’t think I’ve gone more than 2 weeks without some kind of pizza in over a year. It just makes me happy!

38 Tabby May 28, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I wish I didn’t have to wait until November for New Moon! But for the summer I can’t wait for My Sister’s Keeper- I just finished the book and it was so good! Everyone should be required to read the book before seeing this movie! I’m also pretty excited for Harry Potter!

39 Megs May 28, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Hey Meghann

Let me know if yu dont make it to TJ. I will send you the staples!!

40 Jenn (eating bender) May 29, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Oh wow, that pizza looks AMAZING!! I am so pumped for summer movies – Harry Potter especially. I just went to the new HP exhibit at the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago. They had SO much there from the movies…I was in heaven!