Muesli

by Meghann on May 27, 2009

I had big plans this morning of  a hard core session with Jillian Micheals and her No More Trouble Zones DVD. That is, until I read Bobbi’s tips on what to do the week before the marathon and read this –

Give your muscles a chance to rest and skip your strength-training routine in the final week before your marathon. You won’t get the benefits from it until after the marathon anyway.

Skip my strength-training routine? I guess that means no Jillian. Such a shame. 🙂 Instead I found a 55 minute Yoga Session of Exercise TV that stretched my tight muscles nice and long to prepare them for the upcoming 26.2 miles.

If you’re preparing for a marathon in the future be sure to check out Bobbi’s tip list here. I also enjoy the one that basically says to load up on as much carbs as possible. I see a great big homemade pizza in my future tonight. 🙂

For breakfast this morning I was inspired by Jenna’s guest post on Kath’s blog regarding the French Lifestyle.  I wish I could tell you that I had a fresh French pastry for breakfast, but actually the inspiration came from her comment about having Muesli for breakfast every other morning.

I have seen/ read about muesli on hers and Kath’s blog before and I have to admit I had no clue what muesli actually was. I finally broke down and googled what muesli actually is.

I discovered the muesli is a dried ‘cereal’ made up of rolled oats, whole grains, nuts & various dried fruit that can be served cold or hot. By serving cold you have the option of soaking the cereal over night or for a brief 5 minute bath, depending on the texture you wanted.

After some more googling, I discovered muesli is relatively easy to make on your own. I pieced together several recipes I found online and used what was already in my cabinet to create a wonderful muesli breakfast.

DSCN0738

Last night I made a single serving muesli combination of

• 1/2 cup Multigrain Hot Cereal (which contained rolled oats, barley, rye, etc.)
  • Dried Pineapple
  • Raisins
  • Unsweetened Coconut
  • Walnuts
  • Cinnamon

I then mixed the combination with 1/2 cup of Non-Fat Plain Yogurt and put it in the fridge overnight.

DSCN0742

This morning I pulled out the bowl and added fresh Strawberries and a dollop of Naturally Nutty’s Vanilla Almond Butter.

DSCN0745

The mix actually reminded me of a breakfast cookie. I loved it! I think true muesli is suppose to be runnier and resemble cereal in milk, but I know I would not have liked that. I prefer the thicker consistency. It was a hearty breakfast, I will be sure to enjoy again in the future.

Thanks Jenna for putting the idea in my head!

What are some of your favorite ideas that bloggers have inspired you to recreate?

1 Sam May 27, 2009 at 7:53 am

Muesli is without doubt my favourite breakfast – I have it with milk and fresh berries pretty much every day! It’s quite a common breakfast over here, I’m guessing not so much in the US? Glad you liked it though!

2 megan May 27, 2009 at 8:02 am

Sadly I’m not a fan of muesli…too mushy maybe? I need crunch in my cereal. I wish I liked it though cause it seems so healthy.

I think the biggest blogger inspired thing I have tried is spinach in my smoothies. I always add it in now (although my husband is not a fan of the ugly brown color it turns his smoothies…)

3 Kristin May 27, 2009 at 8:04 am

Haha – I’ve wondered what Muesli was after reading it on the blogs too – thanks for googling so I didn’t have to 🙂

4 Danielle May 27, 2009 at 8:06 am

That breakfast looks great, I never knew what Muesli was either.

5 Simply Fabulous May 27, 2009 at 8:16 am

I know this isn’t breakfast related, but the other day Jenna also inspired me to make baked beans! They’ve been in the slow cooker all morning and smell divine!! I love getting ideas from people!

6 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 27, 2009 at 8:19 am

I love Muesli! My favorite blog treats are a)Angela’s green monsters, b)Sarah’s crack wraps, c) Gina’s breakfast cookies

7 Amanda May 27, 2009 at 8:21 am

Blogs have inspired me to pull out my blender and start making smoothies! It all started with the Green Monster, and last night I made an awesome smoothie with some Dannon Light n Fit, a little almond milk, and frozen berries. Perfect dessert that tasted like sorbet!

8 Nicole May 27, 2009 at 8:26 am

Museli sounds interesting! I never realy knew what it was either..I sort of guessed it was cold oatmeal. I dunno!

Blogs have definitely inspired a lot of the food I eat! I used to be a really picky eater and before I went vegan, my diet consisted of 4 food groups.. hot dogs, ice cream, chicken, and french fries. When I think back, the only vegetable I consumed was potatoes..in fry form! When I went vegan, I stuck to rice with walnuts mixed in for a while (seriously, every meal) until I started to read blogs that inspired me to start eating vegetables! Now I am the biggest veggie advocate EVER!

Specifically.. sweet potatoes, almond milk, brussel sprouts, roasted vegetables, kale, chard!

9 Rose May 27, 2009 at 8:33 am

I LOVE Muesli. Aren’t you glad you gave it a try?? 🙂 It’s perfect for summer.

10 caitlin May 27, 2009 at 8:37 am

ironically, OATMEAL.

i never had oatmeal before i started reading kath’s blog and now i cannot imagine my life without it!

also, green smoothies.

🙂 mmmm

11 brandi May 27, 2009 at 8:38 am

ha – my favorite so far is the breakfast cookie and I just had my first one TODAY! 🙂

I LOVE muesli – one of my favorite ones is based on Ellie Krieger’s recipes. So good in the summer.

12 Bec May 27, 2009 at 8:38 am

Muesli is my Grandma’s go to summer breakfast so eating it always reminds me of spending time with her eating breakfast in the garden.

13 Diana May 27, 2009 at 8:39 am

Definitely take it easy this week. Your body will thank you come marathon day. It is almost time!

14 Alison May 27, 2009 at 8:43 am

Too many things to name! The food blogs are the Breakfast Ideas Jackpot! I ate a lot of these things before I stumbled into the world of bloggers, but it was a lot more BORING to say the least.

Green smoothies, greek yogurt, a million different ways to make oatmeal amazing, love it all!

15 Karin May 27, 2009 at 9:12 am

It’s funny, I grew up with muesli and wondered what granola was when I stumbled upon some food blogs. (I live in Switzerland). I always thought they’re both the same thing but with different names! (LIke Oatmeal and Porridge). Much to learn..

16 biz319 May 27, 2009 at 9:18 am

I think the BSI challenges have made me think outside the box a few times – I never would have made sweet potato ravioli otherwise!

Quinoa is also my new favorite – and I love that I can cook it in my $7 rice cooker and it comes out perfect every time.

Spaghetti squash is also a new favorite love – I only tried it a year ago and am made I’ve gone this long without it!

Good idea to rest the muscles and do yoga! 😀

17 Niki May 27, 2009 at 9:54 am

The best thing I’ve recreated is oatmeal!! I never thought of putting so much yummy stuff into it until I saw it on the blogs I read! Also green smoothies and tofu!!

18 runandrejoice May 27, 2009 at 10:00 am

Best blog-inspired meal has GOT to be the Breakfast cookie! It’s a staple!

p.s. LOVE muesli 🙂

19 ellie May 27, 2009 at 10:05 am

I love muesli too- I grew up eating it with milk (no granola in the UK at that point) but now make my own with oats, yogurt and mix-ins. Great way to start the summer mornings!

SO much of my food these days is blog inspired…my nut butter + pumpkin obsession being the main one! Overall just generally eating a much more varied diet because I know people are looking at the pictures/descriptions and it gets a bit boring posting the same turkey sandwiches each day 😛

20 bobbi May 27, 2009 at 10:08 am

your recipes always inspire me!!! Thanks for the shot our girly 🙂 I am getting so exctied to meet you!! What other plans do you have for Saturday?? I got your email about the hotel no prob, I willl figure something out 🙂 3 more days!

21 gina (fitnessista) May 27, 2009 at 10:12 am

that muesli looks so good! i haven’t made my own before but will totally have to try it now
that’s SO EXCITING your marathon is this weekend!!! you’re going to be amazing, for sure
thanks for the bfast cookie link love <3
my thing would have to be almond butter- i didn't even know it existed before i entered the blog world 😉
have a great day!

22 Matt May 27, 2009 at 10:14 am

I actually got the idea of sweet potato fries from blogs. I eat them a few times a week!

They also got me into oatmeal…

23 HelpMeghanRun May 27, 2009 at 10:24 am

I love muesli! I usually just use oats soaked overnight in yogurt with apple and banana. Mmm. So many ideas came from blogs…a lot of oatmeal, green smoothies, ground flax, etc, etc. Some of your recipes, too! 🙂

24 Jess May 27, 2009 at 10:29 am

I got the idea for sweet potato fries from your blog actually. Now whenever I am having a craving for fast food I make those and a baked fish stick sandwich…it’s nothing like a meal from Chic Fila but it satisfies the craving, so I’m not questioning it.

Also, doing all the crazy mix in’s with oatmeal…I was a classic raisin and milk girl but for example my bowl this morning had strawberries and cinnamon peanut butter in it!

Thanks for all the inspiration, everyone!

25 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 27, 2009 at 10:37 am

I’ve never tried muesli before either! I have learned so many things from other bloggers, but the biggest one right now is Angela’s green monsters! I don’t know if I ever would’ve tried them otherwise if I hadn’t seen them on her blog first.

26 Marissa May 27, 2009 at 10:40 am

I’ve never had Museli. It looks good though!

27 aron May 27, 2009 at 10:55 am

Can’t wait to meet up this weekend!!! Relax a lot and get as much sleep as you can 🙂 SOOO exciting that its your first marathon!! See you Saturday!

28 katecooks May 27, 2009 at 11:39 am

your version of museli looks great! major props for reading about it and then just making it 🙂

29 Christina May 27, 2009 at 11:56 am

I love muesli. I just started making it cold recently and think it’s going to be my go-to summer breakfast!

30 Melissa May 27, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Hey! I just had to throw in a couple of San Diego suggestions-
Breakfast- The Mission in Mission beach. Always a wait, but totally worth it for the strawberry/banana pancakes and Mexican hot chocolate!
Lunch- Pacifica in Del Mar. The view is amazing and the beach is right there. Great fish tacos!
Dessert- Extraordinary Desserts in Downtown. This is a food blogger paradise!
Have a blast!

31 Erin May 27, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Crack wraps! Great with Monterey cheese instead of swiss, too 😉

32 Hallie May 27, 2009 at 12:13 pm

I have tried to get on the museli train and I just can’t do it. I love hot oatmeal in the morning, but I think it’s getting too warm in the AM for that anymore, so I have to start thinking of quick, FILLING breakfasts…I see lots of Greek yogurt + cereal in my future 🙂

Speaking of, I got on the Greek yogurt train thanks mainly to blogs. That and…almond butter, kale chips, pumpkin…and probably more I can’t think of now

33 Melissa S. May 27, 2009 at 12:14 pm

i ate muesli everyday when i was in australia…best stuff ever.

34 ksgoodeats May 27, 2009 at 12:56 pm

I ate muesli all the time last summer – such a perfect hot weather breakfast! Without the bloggies I would have never uncovered Greek yogurt!

35 Jennifer May 28, 2009 at 9:36 am

I made muesli this morning based loosely on your recipe and holy yum! I couldn’t finish it all and it has kept me full all morning!

36 Josh May 28, 2009 at 2:48 pm

that is the grossest looking cereal ever…but Im sure it tastes great.