Weather Checking

by Meghann on May 26, 2009

Is it sad I am already checking the weather forecast for San Diego?

SDweather

Well it’s better then the forecast we have here.

FLweather

Ugh… it has the same picture for the next 10 days. Who wants to live in Florida now?

I am so sorry if the next three days I do nothing but talk about San Diego and the upcoming marathon. It is seriously the only thing on my mind and just the thought of it puts butterflies in my stomach and makes me smile. 🙂

I promise after going on and on about San Diego to include food in the post as well.

For starters I had 4 big ole hunks of Watermelon for a snack this morning.

DSCN0711

There is something so much more fun about eating watermelon directly on the rind as opposed to cutting it up and eating it out of a bowl. It actually felt like summer at my desk for those brief moments.

Currently my fridge is stocked full of veggies and fruit. Not one to waste food of any kind, I promise you will see plenty of both in my upcoming meals.

DSCN0713

Today the veggies made an appearance in the form of this lovely salad.

DSCN0715

Salad Mix:

• Spinach
  • Raddish
  • Carrots
  • Raw Goat Cheese
  • Apple
  • Broccoli
  • Drizzle Tahini Peanut Dressing

With my lovely salad I had ¼ of a 5 Grain Baguette with Almond Butter, Carrots and Apple.

DSCN0718

This went really well with the salad on the side. Almond butter with apple or carrot is one of my favorite combinations. It was fun to have all three together on the open faced sandwich.

Dessert cam in the form of my daily dose of calcium.

DSCN0720

It amazes me how I was struggling to remember to take a little pill for calcium every day, but I never forget the nice piece of chocolate this calcium supplement comes in.

On my lunch break I watched the first half of last night’s episode of Jon & Kate Plus 8. Talk about a heart wrenching episode to watch. I think sometimes you just need to draw the line on when the appropriate times are to have cameras following you around and when the inappropriate times are. Last night was definitely an inappropriate time to watch. Both of them were broken and spiritless, it was really very sad. What are your thoughts on the episode?

1 Marissa May 26, 2009 at 12:15 pm

I love the AB+carrot combo! So yummy!

2 Colleen May 26, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I was so sad watching too – I honestly couldn’t believe Kate shared so much…I think if I was in that situation I would have to shut the cameras down (for good!). It’s like watching a train wreck now. 🙁

3 audrey w. May 26, 2009 at 12:30 pm

i felt strange watching the episode, i felt like i shouldnt be watching something so personal..the saddest part i thought was at the party when one of the little girls went up to jon and said i love you and ‘not to go away anymore daddy’, so heartbreaking.

4 Erin May 26, 2009 at 12:38 pm

definitely so sad. and exactly – not something we need to see. when your relationship is falling apart because of the show and all the demands, pressures, and strains it puts on your family – turn the cameras off. work on what you need to because that’s much more important that viewership. they sure don’t owe the public anything.

5 The Novice Berker May 26, 2009 at 12:41 pm

That’s too bad about the weather. At least you have some summery-looking eats to brighten your day! I’ve heard tons about J&K+8 all over the place but my little college apartment doesn’t get many tv channels (we’re totally poor!) so I’ve seen, um, one episode before! 😛

6 cassedy04 May 26, 2009 at 12:48 pm

what gorgeous running weather! you will rock your marathon! as far as jk + 8 goes, i never really watched and since its so personal i feel like its not the best time to start watching. i cant believe they still have the cameras with them!

enjoy this last week before your race! 🙂

7 brandi May 26, 2009 at 12:50 pm

that’s so exciting that your marathon is so soon!

yeah, that episode was hard to watch last night. I just feel so bad for the kids AND Just the fact that they’re doing all of this with cameras constantly on them. I know it’s their choice, but that’s hard enough without it being on tv.

8 Claire May 26, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Lots of veggies…sounds good to me!

I thought the J&K episode was quite sad. And as Kate said, the change, at least, appeared to be quite quick. If you watch some of the more recent old episodes, there is no hint of anything wrong until they move into the new house. I really think that Kate (and John) needs to take a step back and look at what is truly best for the family…I don’t think that includes money and “special” experiences provided by the show. It includes having two parents around to love on and raise them. I think that John is very ready for the show to be over but there are things, that aren’t as important as some people think, keeping them there. I just hope that they focus more on family than the show…but I just don’t know if that will happen.

9 Amy C. May 26, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I felt sad watching the episode last night. I can understand why they do the show but at some point you have to weigh the benefits and the cost. Financially it may be rewarding but this marriage is being torn apart in the mean time. It’s crazy how the paparazzi follow them around too! You’t think in PA, you’d have a bit more privacy.

10 rhodeygirl May 26, 2009 at 1:09 pm

omg the episode had me practically in tears and also kissing PB like crazy and saying we would never be like that!

i would have shut down the cameras STAT. shame on her/them for not doing so.

11 jocelyneatsfresh May 26, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I think they owe it to their kids to stop filming..seek therepy…and remove themselves from the public eye!

12 runeatrepeat May 26, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I said the exact same thing to my friends at work – they look so broken. It’s sad to watch.

13 Casey May 26, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I followed the link you put on your last post…”Why They Run”. Thank you so much for posting that I am so glad I found it. I cried pretty much the whole way through, but it was SOO inspiring!

14 Bec May 26, 2009 at 1:40 pm

I would be getting crazy excited too if I were you! I am so sad about jon and kate, they just looked miserable all episode and the poor kids.

15 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) May 26, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Looks like San Diego is going to be ideal! Now I have sympathy nerves for you, haha. 🙂

16 spicygranola May 26, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I have never watched that show, but it sounds like it would make me feel uncomfortable. I like sitcoms much better than reality tv. Weather looks lovely in sunny california, weeeee marathon!!!

17 Stephanie May 26, 2009 at 1:55 pm

It was so depressing to watch the Gosselins last night. I feel for those kids – they need their Mommy and their Daddy.

And, you have to feel for them. Jon and Kate decided to do the show to provide opportunities for their EIGHT children that could not have under any other circumstances. Can you imagine them still jammed into that tiny house they were in when the babies were born? And, the show has done amazing things, but the paparazzi is out of control. Living in Los Angeles, there are photogs everywhere. These poor people live in rural PA, and are still stalked…

This is why I have shifted all online surfing away from people.com, etc. to food blogs. No one gets hurt on food blogs (at least we hope not!), and no one is profitting from chasing after poor little children.

That display at the kid’s birthday party was disgusting – if more people refused to buy people, us, etc. with children’s pictures, there wouldn’t be so much profit in it!

On a happier note, California is experiencing perfect running weather. Sadly, it meant it was MUCH too cold for a BBQ this weekend, but you should have a stellar run. 🙂

18 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now May 26, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I thought it was VERY sad! My heart really breaks for those kids.

19 Hallie May 26, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I haven’t seen the episode yet, but now I kinda want to after hearing all your reports, LOL. I hope they work it all out.

YAY for California dreamin’! When I was in college in upstate NY, I used to check the San Diego weather all the time, just to remind myself how crazy I was for leaving.

20 Rose May 26, 2009 at 2:43 pm

I think all of blogworld is sad about J and K + 8. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Enough is enough. Though… they did sign on for this. It was their decision. I guess I’m torn.

Do you eat lunch @ home? That’s pretty cool if so!

21 ksgoodeats May 26, 2009 at 3:06 pm

I obsess over the weather a good week in advance when I’m going some place! It’s ridiculous but I need to know what to pack!!

22 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 26, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Yikes, ok, this is the first time I’m glad I’m not in Florida, ever. Haha.

I don’t watch the show but I’ve long thought that revealing too much of your private life to the public in that way is damaging to relationships. So many of these reality tv couples have ended up divorced. Its sad.

Obsess away! Hope you have a great trip.

23 Erin May 26, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I have a question about your Adora supplements…seeing as Oprah today is a repeat of Dr. Oz’s “Truth About Foods”.

Do these supplements have enough magnesium in them to make them efficient? (I think he says a 2:1 ratio calcium to magnesium).

If not, are you getting it somewhere else?! I love the idea of a CHOCOLATE supplement!

24 Hangry Pants May 26, 2009 at 3:54 pm

It’s ok all I can think about is my half marathon on Saturday and that’s only a half…

25 Kay May 26, 2009 at 3:56 pm

eww I hate to tell you but there is/was a hair on your apple & carrot toast!

26 Katie May 26, 2009 at 3:58 pm

I think it’s sad that the marriage is over. The kids even seem to know it. I think it’s time for the show to be over. It’s not fair to anyone anymore. Yea people change and i know people blame Kate but working in day care 8 kids is crazy and exhausting. And I don’t blame her it supports her kids and they get to do amazing things because of the show. Something they could never do otherwise. I think now though they need to turn the cameras off and find a balance.

GOOD LUCK IN SAN DIEGO. I run San Francisco with TNT in October and I am already SO nervous. The fundraising is freaking me out but nothing worth having is easy.

27 Katie May 26, 2009 at 3:58 pm

28 HelpMeghanRun May 26, 2009 at 4:12 pm

You talk about San Diego all you want! 🙂 It’s so exciting it’s so close. And apple and AB on toast is one of my very *favorite* combos.

29 Emily May 26, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Talk about San Diego nonstop if you wish – you are doing an amazing thing! I agree with you on the episode – I must have said “this is so sad” to my husband 1million times last night!

30 jenngirl May 26, 2009 at 4:23 pm

I always check the weather for upcoming trips at least a week and a half ahead of time. And with my iPhone I’m now weather-obsessed!!

I love that baguette with carrots, apple, and AB, what a cool flavor combo!

I missed out on Jon and Kate last night, but from what I hear it was pretty intense. Maybe I’ll catch a rerun..

31 Sharon May 26, 2009 at 6:33 pm

What a great way to get your calcium in, yum!

32 Robin May 26, 2009 at 6:52 pm

I was obsessed with the weather for my marathon last weekend. The forecast was perfect…..I left for my trip the day before the marathon….Checked the forecast in the morning and it was the same. Didn’t check it that night and woke up to completely different weather. Instead of a sunny cool down, we had a cold rainy day. Thankfully it was cool instead of hot. Good luck this wknd!

33 Christina May 26, 2009 at 7:08 pm

It’s ok, I’d be talking about it nonstop too if I were about to run a marathon. It’s so exciting!

34 theoddbod May 26, 2009 at 7:31 pm

no problems eating chocolate! never seen a sammich with carrots on it?!!? neat.