more ยป" />

Dreary Night, Comforting Soup

by Meghann on May 26, 2009

On the drive home from work this evening the dark, dreary atmosphere of thunderstorms and rain really had me craving a nice, hearty bowl of soup.

DSCN0729.JPG

The best thing about soup is that its incredibly easy to make and you can literally throw anything in it and have it come out amazing.

For this particular soup I dug in to my fridge and cabinets for these lovely ingredients:

• 1/2 cup Portobello Mushroom Pacific Soup
  • Onion
  • Broccoli
  • Yellow Squash
  • Edamame
  • Tomato
  • Nakd Quorn Cutlet
  • Chili Powder
  • S&P

I simply heated up all the veggies with the seasoning and the quorn cutlet until everything was soft. I then poured the mushroom soup broth over and was done.

DSCN0730.JPG

On the side I had the last 1/4 of my 5 Grain Baguette.

DSCN0734.JPG

It was the perfect comfort food.

You know what else makes perfect comfort food? Ice Cream!

DSCN0735.JPG

I had a Coconut Milk Ice Cream Bar. Yum! Yum! Yum!

This afternoon I finally got around to sampling the Better Whey of Life Yogurt I was sent the other week to review for the blog.

DSCN0723.JPG

I tried the French Vanilla with Quaker Oatmeal Squares mixed in.

DSCN0727.JPG

Honestly…. it was ok. It was a little too thin for my taste. I prefer thick, creamy yogurt, it just was not for me. But to each their own.

Did anyone watch the series Life As We Know It a few years back? I Netflixed the series and its pretty addicting. Why is it all the better shows only lasted a season? Maybe its the fact I didn’t discover them until 5 years after they had been cancelled. lol

1 BethT May 26, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Yes, I LOVED that show and hated to see it canceled. Dumb networks.

2 Gina G May 26, 2009 at 8:16 pm

i loved it! i was so bummed when it was cancelled =(

3 spicygranola May 26, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Your soup is so colorful! Hooray for not following the standard american diet! I feel your pain about that show, I am always finding good ones after they are prematurely cancelled. Thank goodness for Netflix.

4 Matt May 26, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Yeah it’s been raining a lot here too. It seems like it’s been raining for the past week!

5 Nicole May 26, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Mmmmm! The soup you made looks absolutely delicious. It looks sort of like the soup I had for dinner!

6 Bridget May 26, 2009 at 9:06 pm

That soup looks chock full of wonderfulness!!! YUM!!! The ice cream bar made me drool a little, not gonna lie! Its funny thought that I only crave soup when its below 30 degrees ๐Ÿ™‚ I dont think you have THAT problem…I can see how the rain will get you down though.

7 glidingcalm May 26, 2009 at 9:16 pm

that soup sounds awesome!!! i love the broccoli and quorn cutlet addition!!!

8 meg May 26, 2009 at 9:19 pm

We are having lots of rain tonight too! Sounds like a great night for soup!

9 Bec May 26, 2009 at 9:59 pm

The soup looks amazing!

10 lilveggiepatch May 26, 2009 at 10:07 pm

So funny that you mention that show… I JUST watched disc 3! Love it. The camera-talking is a little corny, but whatever.

Yummy soup!

11 Marissa May 26, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Coconut ice cream is sooo good! ๐Ÿ™‚ I think it tastes much better than milk products!

12 Rosalie May 26, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Ah! Yes I loved that show too. Your soup looks great! I will have to try that when I have a microwave next week for the first time in years and years. I’ve just started reading your blog but I am really enjoying it!

–R

13 daphne May 26, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Better Whey of Life…Just OK!?!?! It’s packed with 3X more protein and 1/3 less sugar than your avg yogurt (PLUS probiotics and fiber). And, the protein is WHEY protein, the best protein you can put in your body! I dropped a skirt size when incorporating into my diet.

I think you should give it another whirl — we may not be ice cream, but we are probably one of the most nutritious foods you can have for breakfast or post-workout!

Daphne
CEO, Better Whey of Life
twitter @proteingirl

14 Meghann May 27, 2009 at 4:57 am

You’re right the yogurt does have some awesome benefits that really had me looking forward to trying it. Unfortunately taste always triumphs awesome benefits to me. I would rather eat something a little more natural with less protein that tastes amazing. So sorry to be so honest. You really do have a great product, it’s just not for me.

15 daphne May 27, 2009 at 7:24 am

Want us to send you another flavor? We would be happy to!

Daphne

PS – At least we can get an “A” for effort!

16 grace b May 26, 2009 at 11:58 pm

GREAT Show! My friend has it on DVD. The drama was so addicting. You should also check out My So Called Life–my favorite 90s show (even though I was too little to watch it when it was on). ๐Ÿ™‚

Man I NEED to get my hands on some coconut ice cream! those bars look amazing!

17 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) May 27, 2009 at 12:05 am

ugh i hate hate hate when good shows get cancelle. such a bummer!

18 Stacey May 27, 2009 at 7:17 am

I’ve never heard of that show, I used to be addicted to Six Feet Under until it got a little too crazy for me!

It’s cloudy and rainy here too ๐Ÿ™

19 Danielle May 27, 2009 at 8:04 am

I could seriously go for a nice big bowl of soup right now! This rain is so depressing.

20 redheadyellowdog May 27, 2009 at 8:04 am

that’s so funny! I just put that show on my netflix queue the other day bc I thought it looked good. random. glad to hear it’s a good watch.

21 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 27, 2009 at 11:32 am

I prefer creamy yogurt too but at least you had some Quaker crack (I mean squares, haha) to put in it. I love that cereal!

22 Quinn May 27, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I didn’t watch the show – but my sister LOVED it. It was pretty short lived if I recall.