Vacation Season

by Meghann on May 20, 2009

Want to know what makes getting through the work day easier? Knowing you just booked a vacations for the near future!

Derek and I just booked a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas over July 4th weekend!!! I had zero plans for a tropical vacation before this and the thought of lounging on a beach for three days is fine with me!

One of the great perks of living in Florida is the multiple access points to cruise ports. My parents just happen to live about 10 minutes from Port Canaveral so we won’t have to worry about paying for parking and if we sneak some booze on board (shhhhh….) a cruise can be a very economical vacation for the locals.

The cruise is still a couple of months away and before then I have a couple of other vacations to look forward to, including San Diego and a family trip to North Carolina.

It’s going to be a great summer!

Right now, my head is swimming with thoughts of vacation, but I have to remind myself to get back to reality and put myself in the present. Boooo….  However, the present does include some good food.

For instance, this morning I had a single portion of Trader Joe’s Trail Mix for a snack.

DSCN0453

Someone had asked in the comments if the breakfast I had this morning was filling enough to keep me full all morning and honestly it wasn’t. Most mornings I have cereal for breakfast, which doesn’t have that filling power either. However, I am always prepared with a midmorning snack and enjoy eating one.

I would rather have what I like to eat for breakfast and pair it with a midmorning snack later then have too large of a breakfast and fill weighted down all morning. Snacks just works for me, but that is ME and doesn’t always work for everyone.

The snack, however, is usually enough to hold me over until lunch, which was quite yummy today.

DSCN0463

I had every intention of turning the other half of my eggplant into a soup, but when I saw it in the fridge today I thought it would make a mighty tasty pita filling.

DSCN0465

I was right!

I stuffed a Whole Wheat Pita with 1/2 Roasted Eggplant, Raisins, Spinach, & Country Bob’s All Purpose sauce. I really enjoy pairing the raisins and the eggplants. The sligth sweetness of the eggplant was highlighted by the raisins, making for a wonderful sweet and savory pita. Yum!

With the Pita I had some Red Globe Grapes,

DSCN0466

As well as a small Fuji Apple, Pickle & 2 Tomato slices that would not fit in the pita.

DSCN0469

This was a great light lunch!

For a treat today, the Keynote Speaker from both of our conferences was kind enough to send us a thank you gift of cookies.

DSCN0461

Never one to turn down new and fun treats I decided to try a cookie from the Ginger Crisps canister.

DSCN0456

These cookies were wonderful and light. They were so crispy and delicate that it felt like I was eating a healthy cookie. Yum, Yum!

DSCN0460

So is this vacation season for anyone else out there? I want to hear about all the fun and exciting trips you are all planning to take this summer!

1 Beth May 20, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I just got back from Hawaii, which was 100% awesome….and I probably won’t go anywhere else for a while!

Where are you going in NC?

2 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health May 20, 2009 at 12:39 pm

It isn’t over the summer, but in October I am going to Hawaii! Lunch looks great, never would have thought of an eggplant pita, I must try that!

3 audrey w. May 20, 2009 at 12:40 pm

a bunch of my college friends and i are renting a house on Martha’s Vineyard for a week in July and i’m so looking forward to it..especially today since it’s the 2 yr anniversary from graduating!

4 aprillove1625 May 20, 2009 at 12:40 pm

The husband and I are planning a trip to Colorado in July around the Red Rocks area and we’ll probably go to Breckenridge too. He’s doing Triple Bypass, a 125 mile bike ride in one day through the mountains. Makes me tired just thinking of it!

5 Amanda May 20, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Your lunch looks delicious!
I spend a week each summer Up North, which is the gorgeous northern part of Michigan’s lower penninsula. I also have a quick weekend to NYC. Last summer I went to Europe for a week, so this summer is not as exciting, but it will still be wonderfully relaxing!

6 megan May 20, 2009 at 12:47 pm

we’re headed to myrtle beach with my parents for an august vacation. I can’t wait – first real vacation with my husband! (haha other than the honeymoon of course…)

7 Marissa May 20, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Sounds like a wonderful trip!!

8 Holly May 20, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I wish I was taking a vacation! Enjoy the cruise!

9 Amanda May 20, 2009 at 1:04 pm

My boyfriend, his best friend from college & his girlfriend, and I are going to upstate NY this long weekend to go camping! I am really excited – especially bc I didn’t have to do any planning and just get to go and relax!!

10 The Novice Berker May 20, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Oh my gosh, what great vacation plans!! It is going to be a-freakin’-MAZING in the Bahamas! White sand and blue sea and all. 😉

11 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 20, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Awesome trips lined up!! 🙂
I don’t have any vacations planned unfortunately because I am prepping for law school and have to move mid-way through the summer…in due time 🙂
I do have a friend’s wedding way up north so that will be a semi-vacation- seeing old friends is always a treat!
I am a snacker too! I love to spread food throughout the day. It works best for ME as well 🙂
Great looking lunch- raisins-great add!!

Have a wonderful afternoon!

12 Pearl May 20, 2009 at 1:27 pm

i can’t wait til you come to san diego!

13 Hilary May 20, 2009 at 1:28 pm

I’m usually a lurker 🙂 but had to come out to comment about vacations because I’m so excited for mine – my honeymoon! 9 days in Jamaica at a tiny all-inclusive resort. August cannot get here soon enough. Have a blast on your cruise! That is definately a huge bonus of living in Florida.

I really enjoy your blog! I’m looking forward to hearing about how your race turns out. I ran my first (and maybe last!) marathon in November. It was an amazing experience, but so hard!

14 runeatrepeat May 20, 2009 at 1:32 pm

I have the craziest summer planned! I’m heading to Palm Springs for a night the end of May. Then, NJ for a graduation. Then, Florida for Ben’s family’s annual vacation. Then, Paso Robles and finally Belize!!!!

I’m pretty much “checked out” from work since I only have 3 weeks to go until I get a month off.

15 Laura May 20, 2009 at 1:40 pm

My wedding is in August 2009 and we’re headed to Hawaii for the honeymoon! We’re going for 10 days; 5 days in Maui and 5 days in Kauai…I cannot wait!!!

16 Rose May 20, 2009 at 1:44 pm

I’m going to Bonnaroo with the boyfriend (which we’re counting as a vacation) and then on a crazy roadtrip with my three best friends.

17 tami May 20, 2009 at 1:46 pm

we are taking a huge road trip, a first for our family. leaving New Hampshire and going to Lancaster PA/Amish Country, then to South Carolina and then up to North Carolina…..its’ going to be a long haul and I hope my kids are up for it???

18 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) May 20, 2009 at 1:47 pm

My boyfriend and I are headed to Montauk (eastern tip of Long Island) in a few weeks. I can’t wait! FYI – I also mistakenly bought red globe grapes (vs seedless) the other week – if you cut them in half and scoop out the seeds they are much more enjoyable to eat 🙂

19 inmytummy May 20, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I’m going to Mexico with my boyfriend in Sept.

Side note – we snuck booze on a cruise last year. We put it in a mouthwash bottle and it was fine!

20 Rachel May 20, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Lucky duck – another good reason to live in Florida! I am sticking mostly to the west coast this summer but I do have a long weekend in NYC planned for the end of June, which should be awesome.

I like your comment about your midmorning snack – I’d rather have a big breakfast, like a hearty bowl of oatmeal and a banana, and just sip coffee until lunch. Everyone is different!

21 Melissa S. May 20, 2009 at 1:54 pm

me and brad are planning on taking a cruise out of miami!! but not until before or after the 4th…booo…maybe we could schedule it for the 4th though…!?!!?!

22 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) May 20, 2009 at 2:03 pm

I’m going on my honeymoon July 7th! We are going to Italy.

Have fun on your cruise! how exciting! I live close to L.A. and San Diego so I’m definitely close enough to cruise but I never have! I should just do it.

23 Melissa May 20, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Wow I have always wanted to go on a cruise sounds fabulous. Eggplant and raisins are a surprisingly fabulous combo. You mix reminds me of my favorite eggplant caponata recipe from Everyday Italian cookbook.

I was actually supposed to go to Martha’s Vineyard with my friend Derek for the long weekend, but the we decided to wait for better weather. I think we will go in late june. Then I am off to South Africa for July!

24 Amy May 20, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I am psyched after reading your reviews of San Antonio — I am going there next month to visit my Great Aunt LouAnn and Uncle Harry! They are true Texans and i can’t wait to indulge in their southern hospitality!!
Then, I am going to visit my brother in LA. He’s an actor and he’s crazy, so I’m bound to have a fun time!

25 Emily May 20, 2009 at 2:14 pm

those grapes look huge!

no vacations planned at this point. we’ll probably just fit in some short weekend trips relatively close by. …a tropical cruise sounds fun!

26 KT May 20, 2009 at 2:18 pm

I’m going to San Diego in June and Vegas for the 4th of July! It’s going to be so hot, but I don’t care, I’ll be on vacation!!!!

27 Sheri May 20, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Well this year we have already gone to Las Vegas that was in April For the summer months we will probably just camp since we purchased a new trailer last year and have only used it twice.

In October we are flying over to Vancouver to see U2! I cannot wait, we have VIP tickets! We are going to make it a mini vacation and stay a few extra days.

In November I am meeting my best friend in NEW YORK! I am beyond thrilled for this trip and cannot wait! My best bud moved across the country 2 years ago and I have not seen her since so it will be wonderful to see her again and in New York no less! 🙂

28 Jess May 20, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Everything is on hold till I do my dissertation proposal in July….but after that I am going to Myrtle Beach for 10 days and 2 tentative trips to DC and New York City sometime after July.

The best thing is that my bf and I are leaving Myrtle Beach for a few days to go to Paula Deen’s restaurant in Savannah!!!

29 bobbi May 20, 2009 at 2:39 pm

lets see… Napa, Malibu, Colorado, and shoot I live in a vacation city…lol

30 Island Girl Eats May 20, 2009 at 2:43 pm

A cruise sounds so nice. We went and had lunch on one a few months back. The food was unbelievable! There was so much to choose from. You will have so much fun.

31 chandra May 20, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Vacations planned thus far:
#1. I’m heading to Kansas City in 2 weeks to watch a friend compete in a tri… kind of a mini vacay

#2. VEGAS FOR MY B-DAY IN JULY!! (I’m only a tad excited if you can’t tell)

#3. A HUGE group of us (20 people booked so far!) are going on a Carribean cruise at the end of October!! We get to have a Halloween party at sea, how awesome is that?! I’m excited.

I’m sure I’ll end up with another trip in there somewhere, but right now that is all I have.

32 Jaime May 20, 2009 at 2:45 pm

In June I am off to Toronto for a Canadian blog girls getaway. So fun!!

In July I finally get to meet my fiance’s little boy during a trip to Winnipeg. It’s been three years in the making and finally we have time off together to make the trip.

33 Whitney May 20, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I went on a cruise to the Bahamas a loooong time ago. It was awesome! My family and I are headed to Dallas, Texas in a few weeks for a family reunion, and my boyfriend and I are going to frolick in Europe for a coupla weeks this upcoming fall! So excited!!

34 April May 20, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Yummy lunch! Have fun on your cruise!!! That’s not a bad idea…

35 Amy C. May 20, 2009 at 3:30 pm

That sounds like a fun vacation!! I’m hoping to use my one week break from school and work to go to NYC the week leading up to 4th of July weekend. The following week I’ll be headed to Cape Cod for a wedding. Then in August I’m going to Palm Springs, CA for 10 days and will be heading to Philly for a wedding in September. It’s going to be a fun summer! 🙂

36 HelpMeghanRun May 20, 2009 at 3:37 pm

That sounds amazing! I have never been on a cruise. (And eggplant in that pita looks great. Always looking for ways to use it!)

37 caitlin May 20, 2009 at 3:53 pm

i am going no where 🙁

38 Mariposa May 20, 2009 at 4:00 pm

love the lunch- i love eggplant this was a nice way to use it too!

no big vacation plans for me.. just baltimore for a baseball game! it was either that or nothing!

39 Meredith May 20, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Where are you going in NC? I live in NC. We’re not going on an official vacation. I’m going with my husband to a conference at the beach (2 nights, 3 days). I am sure we’ll have some short overnights at random times this summer but I am not sure of when.

Did you like the Moravian cookie? I went to grad school (Salem College) in Winston-Salem, NC where there is a large Moravian population.

40 Anne K. May 20, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Woooooo vacation! That sounds like so much fun! I’m not going anywhere this Summer, just hanging out with my family in Michigan before I have to go back to Arizona in July. I’ve gotta move into my new apartment for school. But right now I’m just chilling in Michigan, which is MUCH nicer than Arizona in the summer!

41 RunToFinish May 20, 2009 at 4:51 pm

I am OVER THE MOON about san diego mostly because it’s a vacation!!! I so need that mental break from work, I mean sure there is the whole running 26.2 miles thing, but whatever 🙂

42 Stephanie May 20, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I too was excited to read the posts about your trip to Texas – I am going to Houston, Galveston and San Antonio for 4th of July weekend. Can’t wait to check out Pappadeaux’s…

Other than that, it is just weekend jaunts around California this summer. We are planning to go to Hawaii in April – yeah!

I am most excited about this weekend – my husband and I have been on the road a lot, so I get to be home and in my kitchen at last! Friday is a new vegan experiment – the italian vegetable casserole from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen. YUMMY!

43 spicygranola May 20, 2009 at 5:25 pm

I love those thin ginger cookies! The almond and orange ones are tasty too. I can’t wait for my vacation. I can’t wait for the beach!!! If you are going to be in Asheville when you visit NC let me know. I can recommend lots of good running and eating places.

44 Kimberly May 20, 2009 at 5:35 pm

I am headed to Buenos Aires for 6 weeks this summer — cannot wait!

I also eat a light breakfast (toast and coffee) followed by a mid-morning snack. I’m one of the few people who hates oatmeal because it is just SO heavy!

45 ksgoodeats May 20, 2009 at 5:54 pm

That cruise sounds awesome and it’s the weekend of my birthday!! You guys will have a blast!

I’m actually going on vacation this weekend 🙂 Can’t wait!

46 Renee May 20, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Hi Meghann –

I follow your blog, and I wanted to share mine with you. It’s focused on Baltimore, but there are general postings, too: http://www.examiner.com/x-10966-Baltimore-Food-Examiner.

I’ve also added you to my link list on the right!

47 Matt May 20, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Congrats on the cruise!

No vacation for me 🙁

48 Megan May 20, 2009 at 8:48 pm

A cruise sounds so fun!! I went to san diego last year and it was soooo amazing. I hope you get to visit the city and do some fun stuff after your race.

I’m actually on vacation right now!! My boyfriend just graduated engineering school and we are taking a road trip up and down the east coast, seeing where it takes us. So far we hit North carolina, now we are in DC, next Maryland, and then who knows after that!! You can read about my adventures on my blog!!

Megan

49 TorontoGirloutWest May 21, 2009 at 8:05 am

Next week I’m heading to Vancouver (where my mom will fly from Toronto and meet me) to attend my call to the bar ceremony. We wear our lawyer’s robes (like in England minus the wigs) and we get presented to a Justice of the Supreme Court. That’s how we’re officially called to the bar! 😛

Then afterward we (mom, fiance, me) are heading to Mexico!!! For a week of wedding location scouting and general fun!!!

50 Bridget May 21, 2009 at 9:49 am

Enjoy the cruise! =)

Just booked some tickets today!

I’m heading to London at the end of July to visit my brother and his family. I haven’t met my sister in law, haven’t met my niece, and haven’t seen my brother in three years!

From London, I will fly to Bangalore, India to build with Habitat for Humanity until the 16th of August.

51 verbalriot May 21, 2009 at 12:52 pm